AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 13 15.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 24.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-31, 17:47   Link #881
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Well, Nanoha learned about magical flight and binding magic in the first sound stage…
I was basely on what I know about them , which is not much to begin with other than the few interesting/important/famous ones...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 17:58   Link #882
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I was basely on what I know about them , which is not much to begin with other than the few interesting/important/famous ones...
Well, there are translations in the Music thread, which happens to be less than half the size of this thread.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 18:02   Link #883
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Well, there are translations in the Music thread, which happens to be less than half the size of this thread.
Yes...

... And I have been well known and famed across cyber space for my eternal hunger for all things non-interesting/important/famous...

... To me.
Old 2007-05-31, 18:25   Link #884
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Heh

It's one of those "Events recoded using an unknown method" that recycle old footage for the sake of explaining things to characters that weren't present...

But one has to admit...they could have edited the video in a better way that would have prevented people from asking just "how" it was done...
Mrph. Well, I suppose that's another thing I can chalk up to Bad Storytelling.
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 18:41   Link #885
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Mrph. Well, I suppose that's another thing I can chalk up to Bad Storytelling.
Yeahhh....

... Except, you know, the point of the scene wasn't to show off their intelligence gathering capability, nor the level of technology of their entertainment industry...

It's about showing Nanoha's past, and trying to get the message across to (ALL) the viewers.

... So in that sense, it Accomplished it's role. I wouldn't expect anymore in terms of storytelling...

Well, except maybe giving us more information on what that unknown is...
Old 2007-05-31, 19:20   Link #886
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Yeahhh....

... Except, you know, the point of the scene wasn't to show off their intelligence gathering capability, nor the level of technology of their entertainment industry...

It's about showing Nanoha's past, and trying to get the message across to (ALL) the viewers.

... So in that sense, it Accomplished it's role. I wouldn't expect anymore in terms of storytelling...

Well, except maybe giving us more information on what that unknown is...
To clarify, I'm not really bothered by Bad Storytelling to an extreme degree. If I were, I wouldn't be watching anime. But I do like to complain about the nitpickery details. (If you think I'm being harsh here, you've not seen what I do to Card Captor Sakura, by far my favourite series.)

What I expect from storytelling is to, well, tell a story, using internal consistency. Here, we are told that a group of people who would probably identify as being remotely akin to possessing something like the standard human nature of today have, somehow, possession of footage that they have no logical reason to have possession of, using the logic of human nature of today.

I've argued about the same thing with the random heart-to-heart talk between Subaru and Teana in episode 1 (while the clock is ticking), Rein's desk in episode 3 (why bother?), the Aces' nonchalance in episode 5 (when Caro and Erio are in clear danger), the infamous debate about Nanoha's actions in episode 8 (carried over to episode 9), and now this. And then there's the "magic damage/physical damage" thing which fails to explain a lot of the physical effects seen in supposedly pure magical damage shots.

Why did the producers choose to showcase scenes which the TSAB could not have footage of, when they could choose scenes which they could? Along with Shari's running commentary, it would have served the purpose just as well.

I'm not even arguing about the apparent lack of individual rights and privacy laws in the TSAB (considering some very personal scenes were shown). Just the mere logic of it.

This is where a No-Prize answer which makes sense would serve very well to appease me. I wouldn't be very happy, since No-Prizes tend to handwave away inconsistencies rather than explain them, but at least it's better than nothing.
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 19:48   Link #887
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Nanoha's internal consistency isn't too bad if you don't go across series.
Old 2007-05-31, 19:51   Link #888
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
To clarify, I'm not really bothered by Bad Storytelling to an extreme degree. If I were, I wouldn't be watching anime. But I do like to complain about the nitpickery details. (If you think I'm being harsh here, you've not seen what I do to Card Captor Sakura, by far my favourite series.)
Ah! I see, you're not really bothered by it after all... That's good, that's good...

My bad... Cause I made the mistake of jumping to conclusion after seeing how you Feverishly debated all those details with a fiery passion...

And how you humorlessly came to though stone cold conclusion...

And how you have an iron-grip over those issue that you can't let go...

...Damn, I have alot to learn about humans huh?
Old 2007-05-31, 20:03   Link #889
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
...Damn, I have alot to learn about humans huh?
And apparently, so do I.

In any case, what should we talk about next? Does anybody think they'll be introducing more characters?
Old 2007-05-31, 20:10   Link #890
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
And apparently, so do I.

In any case, what should we talk about next? Does anybody think they'll be introducing more characters?
Technically, Agito hasn't been introduced yet...

And personally, even though it's still about a month away, I'm really excited about the new Op/Ed
Old 2007-05-31, 20:14   Link #891
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah understanding humans could be a lifelong mission, probably too late for me to try and get started.

But where to take things now...we've pretty well covered Erio/Caro for the next episode. Talked about Teana, and some other things I can't really remember. I'm sure there might be some more characters to be introduced.

Could get in some old characters that are awaiting their Strikers debut (like Chrono). Get to see that Agito guy, the client, and maybe some powerful enemies. Not that the drones aren't excited...but really how many can Lutecia and her group fight at once?
Old 2007-05-31, 20:18   Link #892
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

I wonder when Ginga's going to enter the story…
Old 2007-05-31, 21:19   Link #893
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Man need Episode 9 subs... I watched the RAW and I'm anxious to see what they were saying. Especially during the little video session of Nanoha's past...

Plus did anyone see that look Nanoha and Fate were having at the end? Eh, eh? *Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

I kid, I kid. xD
krisslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:20   Link #894
Aaron008R

Quote:
Hopefully, by the next few episodes. Going by some Super Sentai analogies, Ginga is the extra member of the team. And the extra members are usually introduced when nearing the middle point of the story.

And I'll be eagerly waiting for her version of Mach Caliber as well.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:23   Link #895
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Hopefully, by the next few episodes. Going by some Super Sentai analogies, Ginga is the extra member of the team. And the extra members are usually introduced when nearing the middle point of the story.

I highly doubt she'll be in rollerblades though. It doesn't really suit her IMO.
Fuyu no Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:28   Link #896
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
I highly doubt she'll be in rollerblades though. It doesn't really suit her IMO.
So the Knuckle-Fist of Doom does then?

[Like Mother, Like~]

Old 2007-05-31, 21:29   Link #897
Ottocycle

Well there's the possibility that she can fly...she's got the prerequisite A rank as well...if not, leaping would be fine...

*grins gleefully at the prospect of a Lenalee in the cast*

If Subaru is the personaification of brutish penetration, then Ginga can become a personification of a graceful version~
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:30   Link #898
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
That's the thing about Ginga though... she's been getting stuff that doesn't seem to fit her. Like Revolver Knuckle's left hand pair. And Rein's description of the new device she'll be getting hints to her getting her own Mach Calibur, which I hope is true

I mean look at Ginga's mother... who could've said that such a gentle looking mother could be using a PAIR of large, deadly knuckes?

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:31   Link #899
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
So the Knuckle-Fist of Doom does then?

[Like Mother, Like~]

NEVER underestimate the overly-nice and gentle looking people.
I've learned that from you.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:37   Link #900
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Could get in some old characters that are awaiting their Strikers debut (like Chrono). Get to see that Agito guy, the client, and maybe some powerful enemies. Not that the drones aren't excited...but really how many can Lutecia and her group fight at once?
Strong enemies are always welcomed, but at least make them reasonably strong and not overpowered from very little reason

Quote:
Depends...

How do you think she could be important to the story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post

I wonder...

Would Ginga's role be combat-wise? Or something like what the bridge bunnies do?

EDIT:

And in my opinion, NOTHING about the women in the Nakajima family makes sense

...Or maybe it's just their mother's blood...