AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-24, 22:16   Link #2561
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
So anyways, back to the topic (whatever that really is), I reask my question that everyone seemed to overlook... Why must we pay to access the internet and set up a domain in the internet when it is not owned by anyone being?
Because "the internet" is actually a huge duct taped ratnest of a variety of pieces each owned by corporations or government entities. Your access to this ratnest of cables is leased to you by the next guy upstream and they lease their upstream from someone else. At some point there are cross streams where upper-tier entities pay each other for connectivity.

Domains administration and control has been outsourced to service companies who all agree to play by the rules that ICANN sets forth. Maintaining the dns servers, records, etc. all have equipment and labor costs.

The idea is very organic and ideally everyone and every entity at every level has multiple ways to connect. But since magic pixies aren't running it there are costs and of course, profits.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 22:25   Link #2562
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
hmm.... makes sense. So its really the internet that is free for use but because the internet is only existent due to companies that own servers which connected to each other which are the gateways to magical world of 1s and 0s that users have to pay fees... got it.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 22:35   Link #2563
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's a much better description than mine and it also comes with a pretty picture of a visualization of the "internetworks".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
Old 2009-02-25, 22:49   Link #2564
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

After reading the news thread I have a question, what news source would be considered least bias?
Old 2009-02-25, 23:11   Link #2565
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
After reading the news thread I have a question, what news source would be considered least bias?
In a world with many such organizations, it's impossible to quantify which news organization is the least biased or having complete objectivity or is neutral or is closer to the "truth". Each of them have their own aims, agenda, opinions and mission statement; some of them serve as mouthpieces of their owners (whether it's a billionaire or a government); some are oriented towards a specific audience and ideology.

Ultimately it's up to the individual to pick his/her choice of news source to look up in the morning, and for the well-rounded newsreader, several choices, so that he/she gets a multifaceted picture of what exactly is happening.
Old 2009-02-26, 00:29   Link #2566
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
No right answer to that one. You have to consider the *factual* information presented, the terms used to describe various things, who *owns* the news source, how educated is the reporter on the topic, and adjust your mental filters accordingly. Your own worldview baggage should also be held suspect because you may be discarding information to your detriment.

Example: I used to consider the Wall Street Journal a business-oriented somewhat conservative but "just the facts" sort of news source, not necessarily left or right. It was acquired by Rupert Murdoch a year or so ago (owner of Fox News and other tabloids). I have observed the shift in commentary bias and reporting - and no longer consider it politically neutral or even business positive but more serving the interests and agenda of Mr. Murdoch. I also see that Murdoch is tying the WSJ into his "screaming heads" sort of faux-analysis series he's so fond of in his "infotainment vision" of Fox News - which further dilutes the WSJ name.
So it goes...

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-26 at 03:22.
Old 2009-02-26, 02:46   Link #2567
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I believe the most important thing to remember when looking at new sources is that they are still run by people. When people report, there is no such thing as "fact" or "truth", only information. Most news sources do try to cite their sources and support it with evidence, but many do not. It is important to keep a critical eye out when taking in news, because even "factual" reports sometimes leave out critical details, or in the case of shadier news sources the information changes to support their view.

That said, most major media do report mostly reliable news. The problem is that some media (Fox News being one of the more notorious) often filter it through a layer of bias, leave details out, or simply don't report the story. You won't find media that doesn't do this to some degree, however, and this is important to remember. But chances are that if enough sources report it, and back it up with evidence, you will have enough pieces of information to build your own view of the story with. Conspiracy theories aside, of course.

Don't restrict your information to only news sources either. You'd be surprised the things you'll learn when watching "boring" stations like C-SPAN, various web sites, news parody shows like The Daily Show, or even public radio like NPR.

Most importantly however, never take information at face value. Even the best sources can be wrong or misleading from time to time.
Old 2009-02-26, 06:11   Link #2568
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Everything that was ever labeled "true" may be false, you just dont know it yet! For all we know the infinite space in the universe may not be very infinite, for example.

(of course with news: replace "false" in the first sentence, with "lie")
Old 2009-02-26, 14:23   Link #2569
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
My choice would be Reuters

Personally I think there is no clear cut answer for this question due to difference of opinion . But this question more so belong to News Stories Thread. Speaking of that thread Which News Source is least Biased has already been discussed in great detail . I will just link you to the thread/posts

SUMMARY : From Post #1363 Onwards : * Which News Source is Least Biased
Old 2009-02-26, 20:14   Link #2570
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I will keep all the advice in mind and Geta I would be sure to read the post.
Old 2009-03-01, 03:19   Link #2571
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I'm looking for a movie, <
Post is moved to this thread.
Old 2009-03-01, 05:59   Link #2572
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Post is moved to this thread.
that is however the anime/manga/game thread of the anime subforum, last time I was told I shouldn't post movies in there =<
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 07:51   Link #2573
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS

Ok, this is one of the really silly question. But thinking about it make me head straight to here.

In anime/manga, there are lots of cases where the younger sister/brother just sneak behind and ate a share of the protagonist's sweets, puddings,watermelon...etc....

Does that thing normally occur in real life. As i have a sister, and a dozen (exaggerate) cousins, neighbor kids hang around in my house, but haven't experience it before (maybe once or twice but can't remember such case)
Old 2009-03-02, 19:53   Link #2574
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is the user Bordix banned? or is that horrible-to-look-at "banned" image his doing.
Old 2009-03-02, 22:52   Link #2575
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110

In anime/manga, there are lots of cases where the younger sister/brother just sneak behind and ate a share of the protagonist's sweets, puddings,watermelon...etc....

Does that thing normally occur in real life. As i have a sister, and a dozen (exaggerate) cousins, neighbor kids hang around in my house, but haven't experience it before (maybe once or twice but can't remember such case)
lol as silly as it may seem, it does occur... *has herself some stupid bros (big and little) *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
Is the user Bordix banned? or is that horrible-to-look-at "banned" image his doing.
I guess the latter is correct xD
Old 2009-03-03, 07:40   Link #2576
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Ok, this is one of the really silly question. But thinking about it make me head straight to here.

with us its mostly my older sister who does that to me =<
Old 2009-03-03, 08:38   Link #2577
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
that is however the anime/manga/game thread of the anime subforum, last time I was told I shouldn't post movies in there =<
I was under the impression from reading your post that you are inquiring about an animated feature. If that's not the case, then we will have to create a similar kind of thread for movie/liveaction series in this section unless one such exist already.
Old 2009-03-03, 09:19   Link #2578
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I was under the impression from reading your post that you are inquiring about an animated feature. If that's not the case, then we will have to create a similar kind of thread for movie/liveaction series in this section unless one such exist already.
it is animated but it isn't anime, it was made in the US in a western style.
A scanner darkly wouldn't belong in the anime/manga ID thread either, it may be animated but has in style nothing to do with Japan and was an American movie production

It would be nice to have a movie/liveaction ID thread in this section that is of course if more people would agree to having one, though I don't see the harm in it

edit: If you do plan on making one then there should be a clear statement that it is non anime so that people won't get confused
Old 2009-03-03, 10:28   Link #2579
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
it is animated but it isn't anime, it was made in the US in a western style.

edit: If you do plan on making one then there should be a clear statement that it is non anime so that people won't get confused
I do understand what you are saying, however, may I make an observation by saying there are many many Japanese made animation that adopted western style? Since I'll have difficulties at coming up with how I can discern Anime and Outside World made animation (it shouldn't just be US), can I trouble you with the wordings. If you do kindly take up on my request, feel free to PM me, and I'll go ahead with the thread creation for liveaction/movies/non-japanese animation.
Old 2009-03-03, 15:06   Link #2580
klowny
OH NO

Question:
how can an airplane fly? or a helicopter?
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious