AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-11, 09:11   Link #2941
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
How do you drink alcohol? It tastes horrible. I've tried beer, wine, sake, etc, and they all taste exactly the same because the bitterness of the alcohol overpowers everything else. I've heard that people drink to get drunk and not for the taste, but I find that its too disgusting to keep drinking. Is it an acquired taste (in that your taste buds eventually die), or is there some genetic factor that causes me to taste it more strongly or something?

Also, I have to raise my eyebrow at the idea of being a wine connoisseur. Alcohol is anything but subtle in my experience.
I guess it is an acquired taste, and I cant lie, sometimes liquors can taste so bad that I dont see how its worth getting drunk. On the other hand, (in my opinion at least..) there are plenty of very good tasting alcoholic drinks. Ever tried irish cream? Theres also a great Belgian beer.. err.. whats it called.. Leffe, if I'm not mistaken. Good wine is, really good - if you cant stomach regular wines, maybe you should give sweet wines a taste? As far as hard liquor.. hmm, I guess sherry tastes good?

It really does depend on your taste, I genuinely like the taste of beer - its refreshing, and when chilled really does bring about a nice feeling. On the other hand I have friends who love the taste of harder liquors - for example, a very good friend of mine will only have water with his rum, he cant stand mixing it to dull the taste.

Still, its not like the taste is stellar. I guess beer is an exception, but if you didnt get anything out of it no one would drink it. And its not like anyone has to drink bottles of it, alcohol can be plenty fun even without being 'wasted'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Stay awake for two days straight and, from a physiological standpoint, your brain functions as though it were drunk. I've never become drunk off of alcohol but I've certainly suffered through two (once even three) sleepless nights, and if that experience is anything to go by, getting drunk isn't really my idea of fun.
As a sufferer of chronic insomnia, I can testify that the two are very different .

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2009-07-11 at 09:22.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 09:23   Link #2942
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
No. I periodically have to stay awake for what are periods of 35h - 42h, very rarely more, trust me its not the same thing. The observable symptoms may look the same but otherwise its totally different then when you're drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
As a sufferer of chronic insomnia, I can testify that the two are very different .
What I'm mentioning wasn't based on user experience, but monitoring of brain activity between individuals that were drunk vs. individuals that were sleep deprived for 48 hours. Brain functionality was similar (or perhaps just similarly reduced). If you have the experience then I'll have to take your words for it, but I'm wary of one thing:

There was another interesting study done that examined whether the effects of alcohol were due to the alcohol itself, or something more. Participants in the study were put into a room and given a fake beer that contained no alcohol content - however, they weren't told this. As they drank they began to exhibit behavior of being intoxicated, becoming more social and all. Somewhat humorously, when told that what they'd drank contained no alcohol, their behavior "sobered up" right away.

You can't detect a placebo effect on yourself. I'd just wonder if the experiences you claim are different really because they are different, or because you expect alcohol to make you act and feel one way while you expect sleep deprivation to make you act and feel another.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 11:30   Link #2943
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
When your deprived of sleep you don't have the drunkenness symptom, though your reflexes and movements are weird because of the stress and your ability to focus is not all that great you are not what I would call drunk (more or less your just slow and your dexterity is pathetic); you would pass the average alcohol cop test for example. When you're drunk you are just edgy (at worst), no stress etc (well you do get it afterwards usually).

I do not see how I can confuse it with a placebo seeing as there is nothing there I could fool myself with.
If anything I think the people in your (controlled?) study are more likely then us.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 02:16   Link #2944
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Kylaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I suspect the main reason there are is such a variety of socks, leggings and stocking drawn in manga / anime is so that it's easier for the viewer to distinguish between the characters. Same reason we have such outlandish hair styles and hair colour.
Stockings, knee socks, and whatever garments used in their stead all carry varying degrees of sexiness, innocence, attachment to a particular age/profession (adult vs. child, student vs. teacher, etc.), and I'm sure this is taken into account as part of the overall personality of the character. Or sometimes it's just what the artist wanted the school's female uniform to be, but I don't think socks/leggings are usually standardized by the school.

Imagine the difference between a garter on a mature woman and stripped panties on a (relatively) younger girl, and I think the difference is somewhat along those lines.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 14:32   Link #2945
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its not necessarily an "acquired" taste.. just because *you* find it unlikeable doesn't mean others agree or can't taste the difference. Since you're saying that such wildly different tastes as beer, sake, and wine "all taste alike" --- all I can say is you've saved yourself a lot of money to spend on other things. Those things taste *nothing* alike to many people.
To me, they all have different flavors of disgusting.

I don't dislike the feeling of sleep-deprivation. Unfortunately, alcohol just gives me headache and makes me sleepy.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 16:10   Link #2946
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Can I buy California IOUs?

I heard that CA IOU's carry a 3.7% TAX FREE interest rate.
Somebody with a pocketful of cash will make a killing on these things. They'll buy them at 90 cents on the dollar and then cash them in for the profit AND save tax money.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 16:24   Link #2947
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I heard that CA IOU's carry a 3.7% TAX FREE interest rate.
Somebody with a pocketful of cash will make a killing on these things. They'll buy them at 90 cents on the dollar and then cash them in for the profit AND save tax money.
One of those "unintended consequences" things.... apparently vultures are swooping in to buy offering pennies on the dollar preying on people who need cash *now* -- so the state and feds are investigating criminal charges.

I know Arnold asked banks to honor the IOUs right now (in which case the banks would collect the interest on them later)... but I haven't heard if any banks stepped up to the plate on that request.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 23:18   Link #2948
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Does anyone know why currency like Won(Korea) and Yen(Japan) are weak or a very inflated compare to currency in the west?
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:05   Link #2949
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
I'm not sure if this is a complete reason, but one reason is that dollars and pounds (and euros, apparently) are divided into even smaller units (cents for dollars and euros, pence for pounds). If you think of currency in terms of cents, the difference isn't nearly as exaggerated. Western countries just happen to have a word for "one hundred cents."
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 13:24   Link #2950
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I'm not sure if this is a complete reason, but one reason is that dollars and pounds (and euros, apparently) are divided into even smaller units (cents for dollars and euros, pence for pounds). If you think of currency in terms of cents, the difference isn't nearly as exaggerated. Western countries just happen to have a word for "one hundred cents."
Not it at all, there are huge differences between currencies that use the same system, be it cent or otherwise even ones that bare similar names. The reason is because they lost value at some point (usually a war or some other political event can be largely to blame). The market simply compensated with 1 of other currency equals XXX of said currency (it goes both ways). Eventually it stabilized but the inflated numbers due to re-balancing remain.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 14:47   Link #2951
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Last year at this time, 1 US dollar got you about 120 yen. Since the start of this year, it has ranged between 90-95 yen. That's a painful hit for people who buy Japanese-made products (like CDs, figures, etc).

The reason has to do with the money markets where currency is bought and speculated on. The US dollar is simply weak against those asian currencies right now because of the results from the massive Ponzi scheme Wall Street and associates played with the mortgage/loan system, eight years of accelerating govt debt and shady accounting, lack of infrastructure investment, and just a general observation that the US corporate+govt is not only doing a lousy job but looting the cookie jar in a manner not seen since the robber baron period of the 19th/early20th C.

Increase confidence that corporate officers are actually doing their job instead of enriching themselves and that the US Govt (both parties) are not bought and paid for to enrich a few corporates but to regulate a reliable system of commerce... and the dollar may rise in value again.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 16:23   Link #2952
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Or the Asian markets could crash. That'd work too, and which do you think is more likely?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 16:31   Link #2953
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
I was reading Klash's thread earlier. And he goes about saying how he wanted to do a very wide signature, but couldn't, because of the constraints of the forum. Now I think that's strange, since the forum rules doesn't tell you how to make your signature or how it should look just how it should behave as, no?

Q1. I have a signature which is comprised of two images positioned next to each other on the same line, both are 500x80 pixels in dimension. Is the signature legit? =P

If its hard to understand lets pretend for a sec Vexx's current is not 100px but 80px (for the sake of the question), the signature would look like this:



Q2. If the answer to the previous question is negative then why is it not legit?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 01:45   Link #2954
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
What does Natto Taste Like??

What the heck does natto taste like?!
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 11:57   Link #2955
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MMO
Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What the heck does natto taste like?!
I have tried it once and I never appreciated the taste.

Kinda like puke + rotten egg, and i,m not exaggerating
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 00:26   Link #2956
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Kylaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What the heck does natto taste like?!
Fermented goodness.

Slightly salty taste with a bitter after taste, and feels like the edible bacteria are swimming off your tongue with the gooeyness. It's really good.

Fermented foods are things you usually grow up with (acquired taste). My home town in China is well known for some of its stinkier dishes, so anything fermented makes my stomach growl in hunger.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 11:46   Link #2957
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I was reading Klash's thread earlier. And he goes about saying how he wanted to do a very wide signature, but couldn't, because of the constraints of the forum. Now I think that's strange, since the forum rules doesn't tell you how to make your signature or how it should look just how it should behave as, no?

Q1. I have a signature which is comprised of two images positioned next to each other on the same line, both are 500x80 pixels in dimension. Is the signature legit? =P

If its hard to understand lets pretend for a sec Vexx's current is not 100px but 80px (for the sake of the question), the signature would look like this:



Q2. If the answer to the previous question is negative then why is it not legit?
For the 1st question, i think you can't. Because place 2 signature next to each other will make it 80x1000 instead, while the rule is 160x500....
I knows they have same area, but in this case the signature is restricted by size and the two dimensions. Just like how they restrict your bag when you get on an air plane (except it's 3 dimensions there)

The reason behind this (as i think) are
- firstly, to prevent any signature longer than the normal screen that most ppl used.
- secondly, i visited several forum without the "restricted dimension" signature, and i don't know the actual reasons, but it's really hard to see where a post end and another posts started when the whole page is crammed with signatures. While i hate the size restriction is animesuki (especially when my desired avatar or signature was just 10 inches longer or 0.1 kb bigger). But i admit comparing to other site the dimensions restriction does make the whole site looks neater
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 09:02   Link #2958
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
If I use a desktop email client, it will have to sign in to my email account(s) in order to retrieve my mails, right? So will that satisfy the active account requirements for (free versions of) aol/aim mail, gmail, windows live/hotmail, and yahoo or do i still have to manually sign in with a web browser?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 17:24   Link #2959
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
If I use a desktop email client, it will have to sign in to my email account(s) in order to retrieve my mails, right? So will that satisfy the active account requirements for (free versions of) aol/aim mail, gmail, windows live/hotmail, and yahoo or do i still have to manually sign in with a web browser?
do you mean like outlook express?
My mom uses outlook express, cause she doesn't know anything else, what I know about is that you can access the emails you've received even when you have no internet, only bad thing of course is that you don't receive anything new and it is accessible by other people quite easily, my mom has it passworded but I had it several times that I would ignore that message and I could still browse through her email (ont he same pc ofc), but I must add that she has outlook registered to her email and never uses it for any other email, I think that if you try that then you'd have to *internet required* problem to retrieve everything each time

but then again I'm no big fan of outlook or any desktop email D:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 17:29   Link #2960
Dreamtale
Recursion...
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
If I use a desktop email client, it will have to sign in to my email account(s) in order to retrieve my mails, right? So will that satisfy the active account requirements for (free versions of) aol/aim mail, gmail, windows live/hotmail, and yahoo or do i still have to manually sign in with a web browser?
Customize the client (outlook, bat etc.), fill the login and password where it's necessary (in "options" or something) and you'll havent to log every time manually. Launch the program and you'll get mail automaticaly.
Dreamtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.