AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-01, 10:17   Link #3201
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
You can't die from pain itself, whatever is causing that pain will kill you, but pain is just a sensation that's evolved to protect the body. To take a simplistic example, when nature is calling, and you don't answer, the body will respond by gradually increasing your discomfort until it's unbearable...and one way or another you have to answer the call.
Woah, seriously? Is it possible to create non-damaging(to body) artificial extreme pain?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 10:24   Link #3202
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Woah, seriously? Is it possible to create non-damaging(to body) artificial extreme pain?
Not sure how you would go about doing that, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to trick your brain in that way. After all, you can do the opposite with anaesthetics.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 10:25   Link #3203
Cipher

Quote:
Not sure how you would go about doing that, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to trick your brain in that way. After all, you can do the opposite with anaesthetics.
Won't that create mental instability?
Old 2009-10-01, 10:34   Link #3204
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
Won't that create mental instability?
Could do, the incredibly high levels of stress that extreme pain brings with it can damage nerves. You've probably heard how shell shocked war veterans suffer.
Old 2009-10-01, 10:36   Link #3205
Cipher

Quote:
Could do, the incredibly high levels of stress that extreme pain brings with it can damage nerves. You've probably heard how shell shocked war veterans suffer.
Can you die from that?
Old 2009-10-01, 10:55   Link #3206
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
Can you die from that?
Stress? Stress per se is not dangerous. The danger of stress is when it's combined with another underlying pathology (like heart disease). If you're perfectly healthy, but stressed, you're not going to die from stress. At least not if you experienced it shortly.

If you experienced it for a prolonged period of time, you would be releasing adrenaline constantly, and I'd imagine your heart would struggle. So, I'm guessing not instant death, but your life would be shortened.
Old 2009-10-01, 10:58   Link #3207
Cipher

Quote:
Stress? Stress per se is not dangerous. The danger of stress is when it's combined with another underlying pathology (like heart disease). If you're perfectly healthy, but stressed, you're not going to die from stress. At least not if you experienced it shortly.

If you experienced it for a prolonged period of time, you would be releasing adrenaline constantly, and I'd imagine your heart would struggle. So, I'm guessing not instant death, but your life would be shortened.
So, it goes like this? Pain = Stress = Heart Disease = Death? What is adrenaline? I've read its definition but I couldn't understand it.
Old 2009-10-01, 11:20   Link #3208
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
So, it goes like this? Pain = Stress + Illness = Heart Disease = Death? What is adrenaline? I've read its definition but I couldn't understand it.
Fix'd.

Adrenaline is a hormone, so it travels in the blood. And it's released at time of stress mimicing the effects of the sympathetic nervous system.

The heart cycle has a bunch of nerves which control it. The sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves. The former increases the rate of the pulse and the later lowers it. The sympathetic does this by release noradrenaline...you can see how they are related.

I don't know the mechanism for either.
Old 2009-10-01, 11:25   Link #3209
Cipher

Quote:
Fix'd.

Adrenaline is a hormone, so it travels in the blood. And it's released at time of stress mimicing the effects of the sympathetic nervous system.

The heart cycle has a bunch of nerves which control it. The sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves. The former increases the rate of the pulse and the later lowers it. The sympathetic does this by release noradrenaline...you can see how they are related.

I don't know the mechanism for either.
Thanks for wasting your time and effort teaching me. Losing adrenaline means decreasing the heart rate. I've pretty much gotten it.
Old 2009-10-01, 12:23   Link #3210
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Go Kakashi is all I can say

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 13:04   Link #3211
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Thanks for wasting your time and effort teaching me. Losing adrenaline means decreasing the heart rate. I've pretty much gotten it.
No, adrenaline doesn't control the heart rate like that. Under ordinary circumstances there's probably little to no adrenaline in your circulation. The heart rate can be increased or decreased through other control nerves and chemicals. Adrenaline is purely a quick-acting chemical that causes the heart rate to increase for the short term. Whether adrenaline is present or not doesn't necessarily indicate whether a person's heart rate will be fast or slow.
Old 2009-10-01, 13:26   Link #3212
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
No, adrenaline doesn't control the heart rate like that. Under ordinary circumstances there's probably little to no adrenaline in your circulation. The heart rate can be increased or decreased through other control nerves and chemicals. Adrenaline is purely a quick-acting chemical that causes the heart rate to increase for the short term. Whether adrenaline is present or not doesn't necessarily indicate whether a person's heart rate will be fast or slow.
So was our equation, right? Pain = Stress + Illness = Heart Disease = Death? and how do you get the disease?

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-10-01 at 13:55.
Old 2009-10-01, 14:12   Link #3213
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Quote:
So was our equation, right? Pain = Stress + Illness = Heart Disease = Death? and how do you get the disease?
Something like heart disease is usually passed down through the generations. I don't know you get it, maybe someone else does.

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 17:15   Link #3214
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
how you get heart disease?
really what is it with these questions
are you trying to figure out if there's something wrong with you, then please just stop

heart disease can be passed down if it is something a person is born with
for example it is a common case that babies int he womb have a hole in their heart that squeezes shut when the mother gives birth, in some cases this hole doesn't fully close and this can be accounted to getting a heart disease though a simple operation fixes this problem, my niece had this and now she's fine
having such a hole can cause an infant to grow and develop a lot slower, my niece, compared to my nephew, grew below average until after 4 months we found out about the hole. Heart failure is also one you can count

other heart diseases can be caused by obesity, this is all your standard why we stay healthy crap...

but serious what is your point with these questions D:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 17:19   Link #3215
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Biology is not that simple. Many concepts can be simplified, but I don't think you can simplify it down that far.

Your original question was answered - pain itself can't cause death directly.

What is the question now - how disease forms? In an oversimplified answer, it forms from two factors, which may contribute to varying degrees in the formation of a particular disease: environmental factors and genetics. Environmental factors can include things like bacteria and viruses, your getting hit with something, or external chemicals. Genetics means your body, if left to its own devices, would eventually mess something up; perhaps it was doing something "wrong" from the very beginning.
Old 2009-10-01, 17:29   Link #3216
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I am not sure this is the right thread for asking this , as we have the '' could you translater this'' but is seem to be only for translating from japanese to english...
I am planing to use a strophe of one of Baudelaire"s ''Les Fleurs du Mal'' poem on one signature but I fear than the translation might not be as good as I think, Could someone tell me any mistake I made :
Spoiler for the quote in french from ''le beau navire'':

I want to tell you, o soft enchanteress!
The various beauty than adorn your young;
That, not than. And youth, not young. (Adorn is right, though. Sorry, JRendell.)

Oh, and "beauties".

Quote:
I want to paint to you your beauty
Where childhood combine with maturity.
I'm not sure about childhood, though I'd need the opinion of an English speaker. Maybe childishness would be better? Or youthfulness. Something like that.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 23:13   Link #3217
mg1942

is california dream synonymous with american dream?
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 02:45   Link #3218
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
My sister got this baby kitten a few months ago and now she's grown up and I suddenly get weird itch spots on my arms and legs and we concluded it was fleas, most likely from the kitty who we do wash with anti flea shampoos. But now most likely I got fleas in my room and i'm freaking itchy.

I've read quite a few article on yahoo and suches about flea prevention and flea extermination. Can anyone give me any other advices?

I used this article from yahoo - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8060421AAWhAZ1

edit -

Quote:
You can also "lure" fleas to their death by leaving a light colored shallow dish with about an inch of water and a few drops of dish soap... Shine a desk light on to it and the fleas will be attracted to the warm liquid and drown.... !
Ha, it works. I've gotten 4 fleas already Die bi****

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 11:12   Link #3219
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Never really had a huge flea population in my home
useless advice: get a new carpet etc.

You could do some serious action by spraying every carpentry/fabric couch with anti flea stuff
though I wouldn't advice having pets nearby cause the stuff is messy I guess
Vacuuming daily is good advice like the post said

Also someone int he page mentioned Front Line, I use that on my dog
it is expensive but great stuff, you put some chemical liquid stuff in their neck, don't pet them for a day and it keeps the fleas away for a long period of time
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 11:49   Link #3220
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Vacuum daily and flea-treatment (Advantage) for the animals. Also, if there are any large animals nearby (horses, etc) they're often a never-ending source of fleas.

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious