AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-04, 23:05   Link #6221
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Probably, but never heard it yet.

They maybe twins but their personality... and fingerprints aren't...

When it comes to figuring out the suspect... that depends on the skill of the detective... he only has to choose between the two...
Because it's urban myth, so it's all ideal for them to escape

But i means, is it really how it works? You know for sure that one of them committed the crime, but don't know which one did it. So (maybe after some years) you have to drop it?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 23:10   Link #6222
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

But i means, is it really how it works? You know for sure that one of them committed the crime, but don't know which one did it. So (maybe after some years) you have to drop it?
I'm lost for words now.. hahaha. Blame it to the cops... To be realistic... a lot supposedly solvable cases are left unresolved due to incompetence of the authorities...

Urban myths are urban myths...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 13:27   Link #6223
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Identical twins are never 100% identical. In the case of fingerprints, it's possible for a skilled detective to find out which twin committed a crime if all he has to go by are fingerprints.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:35   Link #6224
Auxilism
Acknowledged, proceeding
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: I do not remember
The longer a franchise continues, the more people will turn from fans to haters.

Does this look true to you? It does for the series that I follow
__________________
Auxilism
オークシリスム
3rd Yuri Division
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:45   Link #6225
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Identical twins are never 100% identical. In the case of fingerprints, it's possible for a skilled detective to find out which twin committed a crime if all he has to go by are fingerprints.
>How does DNA work
I can tell you one thing, it doesn't have to do with the skill of the "detective".

For the initial question I'm not completely sure, probably also varies from country to country. My knowledge of US law is based on Boston Legal and Law&Order, but what I figured from that, is that you can't charge two people with the same crime - unless they commited it together or something. Which one could very well assume when there are twins involved.

Someone should probably be able to solve this with a little googling, or better founded law knowledge
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 14:19   Link #6226
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
>How does DNA work
I can tell you one thing, it doesn't have to do with the skill of the "detective".
And your point is?

Quote:
For the initial question I'm not completely sure, probably also varies from country to country. My knowledge of US law is based on Boston Legal and Law&Order, but what I figured from that, is that you can't charge two people with the same crime - unless they commited it together or something. Which one could very well assume when there are twins involved.
Of course you can charge more than one person for the same crime, happens all the time. After all, there could be multiple suspects. Twins are no exception.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 14:39   Link #6227
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Of course you can charge more than one person for the same crime, happens all the time. After all, there could be multiple suspects. Twins are no exception.
Does it happen a lot, really? Because I can't recall a single case in the past years where I heard of something like that, except it's something drug/gang related or similar stuff of course. Ruling out suspects should be the polices job after all.

Still, you're right. As I said, my law knowledge is very limited and I apparently mixed up a few things, I was thinking of the double jeopardy clause, which of course only applies AFTER someone has been convicted.
__________________
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 22:06   Link #6228
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Identical twins are, for all intents and purposes, 100% DNA identical sans any somatic mutations over the course of their lives.

However now they're trying to implement what is called antigenic typing based on an individual's HLA (Human Leukocyte Antigen). While identical twins have pretty much identical DNA, their antigenic distribution as a result of some degree of randomization of surface antigen and glycoprotein molecules during the maturation of human lymphocytes which develops in childhood and remains more or less the same in adulthood.

So in essence this antigen typing is unique per individual due to the random aspect, which is why no two people are a perfect HLA match. Twins are the closest HLA match because the genetic code behind their surface proteins are more similar, but still not a perfect match.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 23:58   Link #6229
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Does it happen a lot, really? Because I can't recall a single case in the past years where I heard of something like that, except it's something drug/gang related or similar stuff of course. Ruling out suspects should be the polices job after all.
Let's take a bank robbery for example. If multiple people are seen fleeing the scene, the police could arrest them all and charge them for the same crime. And they could theoretically all be convicted for the same crime, if they all took part in it. They'll often get different sentences for it, though, depending on the amount of participation and their precise role in the crime.

Quote:
Still, you're right. As I said, my law knowledge is very limited and I apparently mixed up a few things, I was thinking of the double jeopardy clause, which of course only applies AFTER someone has been convicted.
Or acquitted, though this depends on the country you refer to. Where I come from, prosecution could appeal to an acquittal if they believe they have sufficient new evidence to re-trial you.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:38   Link #6230
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
can someone learn to speak japanese fluently without knowing how to write at all?
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 02:52   Link #6231
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
It might be, but difficult. In general, being able to read and write a language allows you to see sentence structure and practice associating the word(s) with what the word(s) represent. By writing a character or word, you can consciously repeat the word to yourself. Psychologically, it's easy to remember something when there are multiple stimuli associated with it.
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:57   Link #6232
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
can someone learn to speak japanese fluently without knowing how to write at all?
I would say so, yes. Though at the very least learning Romaji is a good idea.

That said, by not learning the moon runes, you are cutting yourself off a bit. Going to Japan without being able to read signposts, or labels on food is probably... difficult.

But illiterate people have been learning to speak new languages for centuries so...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:27   Link #6233
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I'm trying to figure out how much force is required to cause traumatic nail avulsion (toenail) on the average man...
I can't find any source that gives a number, but I was wondering if anyone here knew a source?
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 18:34   Link #6234
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
For obvious reasons I don't think they've done many tests on that, much less tests which would give exact values. Not the sort of research you'd want to publish either..

Does anyone know if there's a verb for the act of 'turning your head away with a harumph'? Kinda like going 'tsun', but instead of lifting your head you turn your head. Or just spin right around. If that makes sense.
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 00:17   Link #6235
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Scoff? I'm not sure. I understand what you're asking, but I can't think of a single word.
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:19   Link #6236
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
NSFW question concerning doujinshis:

Spoiler for R-18 Topic:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:23   Link #6237
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
NSFW question concerning doujinshis:

Spoiler for R-18 Topic:
Spoiler for Reply:
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:25   Link #6238
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Spoiler for Reply:
Spoiler for Reply:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:31   Link #6239
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Spoiler for Reply:
Spoiler for Reply:
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:27   Link #6240
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Spoiler for NSFW:
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.