AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-11-09, 05:28   Link #7201
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

What is an 'adapter'?
Do you mean an external wifi usb adapter?

I understand the question as 'Would it make sense to use an older router instead of an usb adapter'?

The bandwidth you will be getting from the wifi connection is mostly dependant on a few factors:
a) technology: the connection will use the best standard that both sides support. So in this respect a new router will only be able to use its full potential with a state of the art adapter, not with another, older router.
b) interference: wifi is a shared medium and the bandwidth is a limit for all devices using the same channel (frequency) in the area, no matter if they are talking with your devices or not. If any other devices are using the same channels, you have to substract their bandwidth from your total. As you have no controll over other peoples' devices, you should try to find the channel that is mostly unoccupied. Can be done with both setups.
c) signal quality: where signal quality is less than optimal, the devices will compensate by lowering the data throughput until the number of transmission errors is on an acceptable level. You can get better signal quality by using better antennas, more amplifying power, or placing the devices where there is less obstruction between them. Here the second router will come in handy, as it usually comes with superior antennas, has its own power supply and can be placed away from the PC in an optimal spot.

So I'd say the setup with the second router makes sense if they both support the same transmission standards, you have a need for the improved signal quality gained, because your pc is somewhat far away from the main router and you do not care about the slightly higher electrical bill.
As a bonus you can now plugin devices liks NAS or network printers in thesecond router and use them without switching on the pc (which is really the only reason I'd do something like that).

I have used such a setup before in a two party household sharing one internet connection:
brand new router A: sits at the DSL splitter, normal operation, internet gateway <- all wireless devices, such as laptops, phones ect connect here
older router B: next to my PC and TV, bridging mode connects to router A
TV, HTPC, NAS, printer, PC all connected to the older router's ethernet ports over gigabit ethernet

->
only one router instead of many adapters,
wifi connection to main router slower because of the older router but still vastly faster than my internet connection
gigabit ethernet between TV <-> NAS for streaming video and between PC <-> NAS for backups
if supported by firmware, the older router can act as an additional security layer, screening my part of the LAN from the other households by filtering packets from the wifi connection that originate anywhere else than the internet gateway

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2013-11-09 at 06:12.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 16:27   Link #7202
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Thank you, you two.

Yes, the question is nebulous and doesn't entirely make sense because I myself don't have a clear idea of how networking really works.

I'm really just thinking out loud. The personal scenario that brought the question is TL;DR'd below:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

But all that is specific to me. Your posts were quite enlightening as to how wireless works (Dextro), and how a real world scenario might benefit (Dhomochevsky's implementation) or might not (mine, lol).
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 17:54   Link #7203
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Thank you, you two.

Yes, the question is nebulous and doesn't entirely make sense because I myself don't have a clear idea of how networking really works.

I'm really just thinking out loud. The personal scenario that brought the question is TL;DR'd below:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

But all that is specific to me. Your posts were quite enlightening as to how wireless works (Dextro), and how a real world scenario might benefit (Dhomochevsky's implementation) or might not (mine, lol).
I see what you're trying to do now. I tried to do exactly the same thing when I replaced my old Asus WL520GU with a Linksys E1200: setup my old asus as a wireless receiver that relayed the network from devices connected to it's ethernet ports. I'm sad to say that it didn't particularly help. The router was any better than devices connecting themselves wirelessly to the main router. The only thing I gained was a single point of failure.

Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 06:39   Link #7204
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author

Is Paypal any good?

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.

REBUILD
Kawarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 11:12   Link #7205
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawarimi View Post
Is Paypal any good?
It is the service you are paying for, not paypal. They are only an intermediary.

Transactions are usually instant or within 3 days.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 13:45   Link #7206
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It depends on what you want to do with PayPal.
I like it as a shielding layer between my bank account and the shop.
It allows me to make micro-transactions to any shop, without a second thought on how they might handle my banking information, if they had them.

But I don't know about larger sums. Personally, I do not use PayPal if it's about anything more than a hundred euros.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 15:59   Link #7207
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Is Paypal any good?
I wouldn't trust paypal to setup a business around due to all the stories floating on the web of people being locked out of the money they have in there. I would however consider Paypal as an added avenue for payment as long as I didn't keep large amounts of money with them and I find it one of the safer choices when buying something. Actually most of the issues with being a seller that takes Paypal is the fact that they tend to err on the side of caution and over-protect the payer at the expense of the payee.

Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 17:32   Link #7208
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I want to make a thread about the absurdist and surrealist elements in anime but I want to know if I can and what if there is already in the General Anime forum?

I already PM some mods about it.
Old 2013-11-14, 07:42   Link #7209
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author

Thanks! I was just going to order something online worth about $200.

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.

REBUILD
Kawarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 23:30   Link #7210
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^As a payer, you're pretty safe.

As a vendor, there are quite a few horror stories around. PayPal is big enough it can afford to suck at customer service.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 09:51   Link #7211
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Thanks! I was just going to order something online worth about $200.
Check with the seller for shipping receipt. That is your proof of purchase.

I lost $50 before this way and never got it back because there is no evidence of sale from the other side.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-11-16, 07:41   Link #7212
Kimidori
Let's Play

I'm using Google Drive, Adrive.com, Amazon cloud drive and Dropbox to backup important files, my question is: will they ever delete my file because of things like inactivity? like if I abandon the account for years when I log back will my files still be there?
Old 2013-11-16, 08:38   Link #7213
ices
Monadically Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
I'm using Google Drive, Adrive.com, Amazon cloud drive and Dropbox to backup important files, my question is: will they ever delete my file because of things like inactivity? like if I abandon the account for years when I log back will my files still be there?
For Google Drive and Dropbox, I think no.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 05:49   Link #7214
oompa loompa

How to maximize coffee effectiveness?

Is cold coffee as effective in giving you a caffeine kick as hot coffee? Does it make any difference if it was initially hot and then became cold? Instant vs. filter for immediate effect? For overall effect?

Basically; its getting late, work needs to be done; if coffee is your only tool, how do you use it to maximize your awakedness/alert (I am assuming of course, that it has that effect on you).
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 14:54   Link #7215
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
In the case of Google Drive and Dropbox they won't; unless they decide to ban your entire account off the face of the earth.

That being said, shit happens: http://productforums.google.com/foru...ve/WPtLkVSznts

When dealing with "crap in the cloud" make sure to periodically save a local copy of the files too. Both services have their little recovery systems but if it's important just save a unsynced local copy to be safe.

There are other ways things can go poof, such as sharing a folder and the other person deleting your stuff.
Old 2013-11-21, 09:21   Link #7216
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^As a payer, you're pretty safe.

As a vendor, there are quite a few horror stories around. PayPal is big enough it can afford to suck at customer service.
I don't like the company. I tried getting an PayPal account many times but i couldn't get verified despite using different cards. What made me mad was the fact my sister has the same type of card as mine and she got verified!
Old 2013-11-21, 09:50   Link #7217
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I don't like the company. I tried getting an PayPal account many times but i couldn't get verified despite using different cards. What made me mad was the fact my sister has the same type of card as mine and she got verified!
Call your bank. Maybe they blacklisted it.

Old 2013-11-21, 12:12   Link #7218
Haak
F**k my life...

Just something that crossed my mind the other day. Say, for example, you put a Xbox 360 game disk into a PS3 console: what is stopping the console playing the game? The hardware or the software (or both)?
Old 2013-11-21, 12:30   Link #7219
Kimidori
Let's Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just something that crossed my mind the other day. Say, for example, you put a Xbox 360 game disk into a PS3 console: what is stopping the console playing the game? The hardware or the software (or both)?
both. first, xbox 360 use DVD and ps3 use blu-ray. even if they both use the same kind of disk, they have different System software and architecture, and just like how Windows game and app can't be run on Linux (without "emulator" like WINE), a game compiled for one console can't play on another because of various file and platform code difference that the compiler output.
Old 2013-11-21, 13:33   Link #7220
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
both. first, xbox 360 use DVD and ps3 use blu-ray.
*facepalm*

Ofcourse...

Okay, here's a less moronic better example: Put an Xbox 360 disk into a Windows computer. From your explanation it sounds like it's just a software problem.

Thanks for answering.

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious