AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-05-31, 03:01   Link #1
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Riviera: The Promised Land

A GBA game I bought a long time ago. In my opinion, it was one of the best GBA games I've played. Unique gameplay, the great anime artwork and CG, and the voice acting were some of the highlights. Right now, I have 100% in everything except items which is 99%.

That was fine until this came along... The PSP version of this game. The fact that it is fully voice acted and has additional CGs make me want to buy it. Sadly, I don't have a PSP, don't have the money to buy one, and don't really want have any other games I want to buy. Ah, the pain!

Do any here have this game (GBA, I mean, since PSP isn't out)?
I wonder if I'll find a downloadable file containing all japanese and english spoken lines from the game...? (I can dream........)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-05-25 at 21:19.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 04:28   Link #2
luckyovermind
hungry~

I played it for a while, some special attackes were really cool.

That's pretty much all I remembered I didn't finish it though.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:09   Link #3
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

I beat the game a few times and let me say it ranked on my top 3 GBA games ive ever played.

1st- golden sun 1-2
2nd - fire emblem
3rd - Riviera

it was interesting having that dating/fantisy feel to it...you have to whatch what you say lol
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 00:11   Link #4
kgptzac
Summoner of the Third Eye

eh i hope my post necromancy will be excused. anyway yeah, I played this game's english version and fell in love with it... the combat system is complex and had a learning curve yet when mastered, all the combination of strategy is beyond any RPG or tactic game i've played. The storyline is also impressive for an old game and is enhanced with newly drawn CG for PSP. I don't konw maybe it's just me, but Angels with black wings who foretells death (I guess that's what 告死天使 means?) is the kind of paradoxical theme that can intrigue me without further development. One thing I didn't like was the multi-ending setting... the game isn't a visual novel and to achieve other endings means I have to say very mean things to certain characters.

Oct. 18th STING released another version of Riviera where I think they added more extra content; also you can save whenever you want to. I'm playing it now as a way to learn some Japanese.

I recommend any PSP owner who browse this forum, play Riviera and you certainly will feel the love...
kgptzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 00:13   Link #5
Altema
Simple

Send a message via AIM to Altema
Was this the game where you could not freely move around a map and depending where you were, you had to press certain buttons to get to certain areas/treasures/etc?
Altema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 00:34   Link #6
kadenza

i played the gba version too and thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the most enjoyable gba games imo, nice gfx and gameplay, story isnt particularly unique or anything but its interesting enough, the "dating/peeping" system made thing interesting lol
kadenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 00:51   Link #7
kgptzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altema View Post
Was this the game where you could not freely move around a map and depending where you were, you had to press certain buttons to get to certain areas/treasures/etc?
correct. i think this elimated some of the traditional RPG's drudgery but also great limited player's freedom
Old 2007-10-29, 09:02   Link #8
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Ein and Ledah are 'Grim Angels' in English, not sure what that would be in Japanese or spelled as.

And you could only move along the map, and examine items by pressing the directional pad. Then you had little 'mini-games' where you maybe had to input a button sequence during a 'rythem' without missing it once, or press one button a bunch (I hear to see the Cierra/Serene bathing scene, they increased the number of button pushes to break the Golem by a lot), etc. etc.
Old 2007-10-29, 16:53   Link #9
kwerks
WIRED

Send a message via AIM to kwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
I beat the game a few times and let me say it ranked on my top 3 GBA games ive ever played.

1st- golden sun 1-2
2nd - fire emblem
3rd - Riviera

it was interesting having that dating/fantisy feel to it...you have to whatch what you say lol
GOLDEN SUN!!!! That was a fantastic game! #3 is coming to the DS

(Edit: After some research it looks like the GS3 for DS was a fake!!! Some kid online hacked the DS to show the images...lame but maybe this will strike new interest.)

Last edited by kwerks; 2007-10-29 at 20:07. Reason: found out more info regarding the game
kwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 23:46   Link #10
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Ein and Ledah are 'Grim Angels' in English, not sure what that would be in Japanese or spelled as.

(I hear to see the Cierra/Serene bathing scene, they increased the number of button pushes to break the Golem by a lot), etc. etc.
In Japanese, it is "告死天使".

I think it is pronounced "kokushi-tenshi", from my memory, but I got this from the Japanese GBA game, so I can't remember where they pronounced it (in other words, the romanization might be wrong).

Bath scenes were great (you know, the scenes were one reason people noticed this game).

The book for the PSP version showed 4 bathing scenes not in the GBA game. It was even more revealing than the first two, though not by much.
Arch-Angel has a wonderful CG, as well.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-10-30, 00:39   Link #11
kgptzac

Quote:
Bath scenes were great (you know, the scenes were one reason people noticed this game).

The book for the PSP version showed 4 bathing scenes not in the GBA game. It was even more revealing than the first two, though not by much.
Arch-Angel has a wonderful CG, as well.
when i played the English version i couldn't get pass the second golem... is there a site where i can see those CG? also, who is the Arch-Angel you are talking about?
Old 2007-10-30, 08:55   Link #12
krisslanza

Yeah they... Made the bath scenes more revealing. In the sense that all the girls get a unique 'bathing' picture for their chatter rather then showing up clothed (This applied to say... Ladie).

I think the pictures are a bit more detailed too...

EDIT:
Lacrima Castle had all the CGs, but it seems the site hasn't been paid for and is shut down.
Old 2007-10-30, 13:20   Link #13
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgptzac View Post
also, who is the Arch-Angel you are talking about?
The Angel-like Accursed you fight in that church-like place.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-10-30, 13:27   Link #14
krisslanza

I think you mean Tethys the Sunken City? :P
She's a pain. Darn Holy resist.
Old 2007-10-30, 17:50   Link #15
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I think you mean Tethys the Sunken City? :P
She's a pain. Darn Holy resist.
That's probably it. It's been even longer of a time than Yggdra Union that I haven't played this game.

I stopped after getting every end for the females plus the end for human Rose.
My overall progress is all complete except for one item, the one that requires luck while fishing.

Lyuri/Lina's Overskill with bows are definitely the best against the flying angel.

I feel that Fool and Sage (was that their name) was far harder with their high-damaging Overdrive.

Old 2007-10-30, 20:01   Link #16
kgptzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
That's probably it. It's been even longer of a time than Yggdra Union that I haven't played this game.

I stopped after getting every end for the females plus the end for human Rose.
My overall progress is all complete except for one item, the one that requires luck while fishing.

Lyuri/Lina's Overskill with bows are definitely the best against the flying angel.

I feel that Fool and Sage (was that their name) was far harder with their high-damaging Overdrive.
hmm interesting... I've heard that you can get Rose ending >.> where can i read more info about this? I failed to find an english guide for Riviera and I used the chinese guide... Anyone know if there's a place to download the official japanese guide? that would be very helpful on getting on all the endings ...

human rose... interesting...
Old 2007-10-30, 23:54   Link #17
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
hmm interesting... I've heard that you can get Rose ending >.> where can i read more info about this? I failed to find an english guide for Riviera and I used the chinese guide... Anyone know if there's a place to download the official japanese guide? that would be very helpful on getting on all the endings ...

human rose... interesting...
To get the other Rose ending (AKA Human Rose End)-

Finish the game with all of the girls having low enough attraction to you, but Cierra having the highest.

What happens?

Spoiler for Rose end:

Old 2007-10-31, 00:08   Link #18
kgptzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
To get the other Rose ending (AKA Human Rose End)-

Finish the game with all of the girls having low enough attraction to you, but Cierra having the highest.

What happens?

Spoiler for Rose end:
Spoiler for lol...:
Old 2007-10-31, 00:40   Link #19
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Spoiler for lol...:
Yes, Cierra has her own end.

To get Human Rose End, while Cierra has to be the highest, she still has to have a low amount of affection.
If you have more than a certain amount, it will be a Cierra End.

Actually, visual novels do require complete re-playing to get other ends, though intertwining parts can be skipped without harm. The only difference is that you have to fight/train/explore in this game.

Old 2007-10-31, 01:15   Link #20
kgptzac

Quote:
To get Human Rose End, while Cierra has to be the highest, she still has to have a low amount of affection.
If you have more than a certain amount, it will be a Cierra End.
... is there a guide out there that can tell me how to make this happen? ._. only if i can get hold of the official japanese guide >_<

Quote:
Actually, visual novels do require complete re-playing to get other ends, though intertwining parts can be skipped without harm. The only difference is that you have to fight/train/explore in this game.
That's what I was trying say... to restart training from lv1 for four times just sounds beyond demanding to me~~

Spoiler for endings:

Tags
sting