AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 13 14.13%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 30.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 26.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 19.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 8.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-06, 12:48   Link #61
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Does anyone have a link to a web site that relates to "sushi horoscope"? After watching episode 9, I'm kinda curious in seeing what type of sushi I am.
Old 2007-06-06, 12:53   Link #62
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

In times of ultra boredom and procrastination, I played Solitaire a lot, and the most I've managed is 6000 points (and that's only "easy-mode"). Miyuki must really be an expert to go to 10000 often.

Kona-chan can count herself lucky she has Nanako-sensei keeping an eye on her on the MMORPG so she doesn't neglect her studies. I usually stay miles away from my computer when I'm studying, because the temptation to go online and procrastinate is just too high when it's within my sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Does anyone have a link to a web site that relates to "sushi horoscope"? After watching episode 9, I'm kinda curious in seeing what type of sushi I am.
I too wonder if the sushi-horoscope site is real. I'd sure like to try it out. (Hope I don't end up as "ginger", lol. )

Tsukasa just gets more and more moe every episode, doesn't she? Everytime she broke the fourth wall and faced the camera, my heart melted.

Kona-chan's ahoge probably acts as an antenna to Kagami and Tsukasa's radar, which was why they couldn't spot her with her hat on, even when she's standing next to them.

(Ahoge entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoge)

No surprise at Kona-chan's old man buying all those games for her, considering he's such a "professional" cameraman last ep.

And I Lol'ed at Kona-chan trying to get the eye-drop into Miyuki's eye.

Lucky Channel's a bit long today, though Minoru's Mi-Mi-Mirakuru Miku-run-run made up for it, as well as Akira's whole tray of cigs.

After 5 eps with the new director, maybe the new director was slightly better in terms of pacing between the "punchlines" of each "sketch", though it's quite subtle.

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 2007-06-06, 13:43   Link #63
akitokun
Between sane and insane

Send a message via ICQ to akitokun Send a message via AIM to akitokun Send a message via Yahoo to akitokun
Quote:
You can try here. Not too informative, but it's the only thing I could find at the moment.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:19   Link #64
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
And cake buffets would so go out of business in America. -_- One hour is enough for some people to clean out the whole restaurant...
Cake is very filling. It's very hard to eat a lot of cake in a short period of time. It's even harder when the portions are smaller which means that you are eating more than you think you are.

Also, like all buffet things, it would be able to survive at the right price. Like all all-you-can-eat things, the food isn't top rate either. There are variations on the cake buffet in the US.

Quote:
As linked from syu-ta:
http://moura.jp/uranai/sushi/
(Instructions: Select any 5 plates (you may duplicate) and hit the right cup thing.)
Old 2007-06-06, 16:03   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A lot of all-you-can-eat buffets do have cake sections.... people should make themselves sick sometime. ... apparently I'm barbequed eel....

@Kinny: its the "eye-level" problem ... mostly they just see "ahoge" when they scan for Kona...... so if its covered. (and more points to KyoAni for dressing the girls like in the strip).
Old 2007-06-06, 16:41   Link #66
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
14 yr old mother
(aka 14 sai no haha)
Could anything sound more like a concept for a Japanese Drama than "14-Year Old Mother"? I need to share this with a friend.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:07   Link #67
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
And cake buffets would so go out of business in America. -_- One hour is enough for some people to clean out the whole restaurant...
You'd think so, but hearing most "big & fat" Americans gets pwned by "skinny & prawny" Japanese guys in many competitive eating contest (I don't know why this is a sport, ugh) makes me think otherwise.

Last edited by kj1980; 2007-06-06 at 20:26.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:10   Link #68
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all. My relatives abroad eat WAY more than I do (3 plates of rice compared to my one), and I'm heavier than them by a wide margin. Heck, I have a Chinese friend who eats a lot of food (his food bill is almost always twice mine), and he's still slender. What they had in common? My relatives live and work in a farm (many chores involving labor), and my friend is a DDR maniac (can dance Paranoia at hardest and fastest setting w/out the use of 'side' bars to boot). I really do think that it's just a matter of what you eat and how active one is, as I gotta admit, I gotta excersize more and I eat junk food. ^^;

@Kaoishin's statement
I'd say that's the first I've heard of a concept like that, Japanese dramas or otherwise. Then again, I see more stereotypes in Korean dramas, where 99% of the time it's a love square (main couple, and then one 'rival' for each of the main couple) and around 70% of the time, some terminal illness is involved. ^^;

As for 14-sai no haha, despite being half a drama addict, I never got the urge to see it as the premise does not interest me at all. But looking at the ratings at 18.55% average, that is one helluva popular show as most dramas I know are lucky to break 13%. Heck, it's almost neck in neck with the Nodame Cantabile's live action ratings (18.75% avg IIRC), which was the show that won that season's drama award. Now it makes sense how it actually made it to Lucky Star.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-06-06, 19:32   Link #69
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Kona-chan can count herself lucky she has Nanako-sensei keeping an eye on her on the MMORPG so she doesn't neglect her studies. I usually stay miles away from my computer when I'm studying, because the temptation to go online and procrastinate is just too high when it's within my sight.
Yea, I know the feeling. I swear Konata's the mirror image of me back when I was a high school student except not as geeky. When I was a freshman in high school, I would totally procrastinate like the way Konata does, when I hit problems I just can't answer, and just go play console games or MMORPGs. During my junior year, I decided to put my foot down and get serious with homework. I would bike to my local library a mile away just so I can get away from my alluring computer and do some homework.
Old 2007-06-06, 22:02   Link #70
arias

What is everyone's blood type?

I am of the rarest natural bloodtype in the world, AB-. Apparently AB is the worst bloodtype in Japan.. I did abit of research and apparently some companies tried to split their workers through blood type and no one wanted to work with the AB people.

Lucky Star is starting to not work for me. Thank god Hirano's performance is always tip top. The little show segment in the end is an utter waste of time; I would much prefer more Lucky Star time. It's lost quite abit of its pace and wonder from the first 4 episodes.
Old 2007-06-06, 22:52   Link #71
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post

I am of the rarest natural bloodtype in the world, AB-. Apparently AB is the worst bloodtype in Japan.. I did abit of research and apparently some companies tried to split their workers through blood type and no one wanted to work with the AB people.

Lucky Star is starting to not work for me. Thank god Hirano's performance is always tip top. The little show segment in the end is an utter waste of time; I would much prefer more Lucky Star time. It's lost quite abit of its pace and wonder from the first 4 episodes.
Pssst. Just between you and me, I preferred the style and pacing of the old director over the new ones too. It wasn't something you saw everyday, now it kind of is. At this stage Lucky Star doesn't have a ghost of a chance of being a favourite comedy of mine, but it still can be fun for the most part (though I haven't seen this episode which seems to be a low point for some people).

If your thank god is Aya Hirano's perfomance then my thank god is that Lucky Channel only comes at the end so I know when to click the X in the top right of the window. At this rate though each episode only lasts about 16-17 minutes instead of 24 for me, which isn't a lot of content. Ohhhhhh.... how I wish they didn't come up with the Lucky Channel idea. If there's one glaring weakness to the show above any other it's Lucky Channel. All others in their general infrequency are easily forgivable.
Old 2007-06-06, 23:00   Link #72
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
If your thank god is Aya Hirano's perfomance then my thank god is that Lucky Channel only comes at the end so I know when to click the X in the top right of the window. At this rate though each episode only lasts about 16-17 minutes instead of 24 for me, which isn't a lot of content. Ohhhhhh.... how I wish they didn't come up with the Lucky Channel idea. If there's one glaring weakness to the show above any other it's Lucky Channel. All others in their general infrequency are easily forgivable.
Then again, I find it highly enjoyable stuff. I believe it to be highly tied to an English way of making comedy... which conversely is linked to an Argentinian way of making comedy

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-06-06, 23:03   Link #73
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post

Hmm, well... I don't know my blood type. I've been meaning to give blood for years now so I can find out, but I'm so squeamish about needles suuuucking my blooood.

I'd never watch a show just for a seiyuu... Seeing a name I know might pull me towards a series, but I wouldn't watch a show just for the sake of listening to them.. And I agree I'd rather have more L*S time instead of LC, but I don't find it a complete waste of time - there are some parts I find humorous.
Old 2007-06-06, 23:07   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Then again, I find it highly enjoyable stuff. I believe it to be highly tied to an English way of making comedy... which conversely is linked to an Argentinian way of making comedy
It's all in the quirkiness. "GENTLEMAN! CONFUSE THY.....CAT!"

Like I said though, without Lucky Channel that's two extra minutes of characters time, and since the comedy seems to build strength cumulatively in the 4th quarter (don't ask me why) only to be cut off by Lucky Channel, (which I swear has made me gone "AWWWWWWWWW" as if it were my favourite show climaxing only to be interrupted by a Bush speech on more than one occassion) it's absences added kick to the show could hardly be measured. Imagine the episode continuing to build right through to the credits into something overwhelmingly funny, leaving each episode to end on a high note rather than a sour one with Akira's unfunny antics.

@Risaa: Don't consider cutting Lucky Channel as killing Lucky Channels bit, but consider it being converted into something potentially greater.

As for watching a show for Seiyuu, most people wouldn't, but Aya Hirano has become something of a special case (sort of). Though in all honesty I can't picture any people here ever watching Battle B'Daman just to hear her voice. So even she's a no in the end for the "baitless hook".

As for what I mean by that, A Seiyuu can be a hook, but the hook has to have bait (the shows content) for the fish (the viewers) to follow it all the way up the line (not drop it). As for me only two Seiyuu are hooks and they are Rie Kugimiya and Kappei Yamaguchi. I tend to give shows with them in it more leeway.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-06 at 23:21.
Old 2007-06-06, 23:27   Link #75
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I too find seiyuus not to be the sole reason of watching a series. Kaibutsu Oujo (Ayako Kawasumi) and Nagarasete Airantou (Hocchan) are two series whose episodes I'll only watch if I'm very very bored, and only because of the said actresses.

My blood type, I have no idea. Injection I can manage, but I find draining blood to be rather painful. Although technically, can't we determine our bloodtypes if we know our parent's bloodtypes?

As for LS time, I'm actually inverse of Kaoishin... my enjoyment stems the full 24 mins. OP/L*S/L*C/ED/Preview, I watch them all with full satisfaction, unlike 99% of the anime I watch where more often than not, either or both the OP and ED are worth skipping.

While I can understand people not getting Lucky Channel, I still don't understand why people skip over the ED and a lesser extent, the preview. Isn't the ED and preview basically more main content time w/out the animation? Which there really isn't much of a difference most of the time anyways, considering there's next to no action in the animation anyways (80% of the time, its basically walking talking heads). As such, I say that pretty much covers at least half of the L*C time you're going to miss if you do skip L*C, and so I really see no cause for complaint. ^^;

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-06-06, 23:27   Link #76
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Episode 9 highlights:

- Kagami and Konata burning each other again. Wait...why can't Konata just do her signature cramming?

- More Tsukasa cuteness. This kind of carpet-bombing is getting a bit weird.

- Wait a second...was Kagami trying to reconcile with burning Konata so badly during the blood type conversation?

- They actually reused costumes...I never noticed. LOL at Konata ahoge.

- (Cake scene) I know that one seiyuu did all the extra sounds, but it's still infinitely creepy when a guy voices an old lady...

- (Miyuki eyedrop scene) Hey...I wanna see Konata's scary face!

- Looks like Akira's going on the defensive this episode. Don't give up, Shirashi!

- ASHTRAY THROW!!! LOL Akira picture-taking. Shirashi in a cardigan?! Cross-dressing FTW.

- Kagami's pretty dismissive of Konata's singing.

- ...wait...is Konata talking about Super Smash Brothers?
Old 2007-06-06, 23:40   Link #77
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I too find seiyuus not to be the sole reason of watching a series. Kaibutsu Oujo (Ayako Kawasumi) and Nagarasete Airantou (Hocchan) are two series whose episodes I'll only watch if I'm very very bored, and only because of the said actresses.

My blood type, I have no idea. Injection I can manage, but I find draining blood to be rather painful. Although technically, can't we determine our bloodtypes if we know our parent's bloodtypes?

As for LS time, I'm actually inverse of Kaoishin... my enjoyment stems the full 24 mins. OP/L*S/L*C/ED/Preview, I watch them all with full satisfaction, unlike 99% of the anime I watch where more often than not, either or both the OP and ED are worth skipping.

While I can understand people not getting Lucky Channel, I still don't understand why people skip over the ED and a lesser extent, the preview. Isn't the ED and preview basically more main content time w/out the animation? Which there really isn't much of a difference most of the time anyways, considering there's next to no action in the animation anyways (80% of the time, its basically walking talking heads). As such, I say that pretty much covers at least half of the L*C time you're going to miss if you do skip L*C, and so I really see no cause for complaint. ^^;
I think I'm a Type B (I recall reading it on some medical document of mine), but my personality is more of that described in Type AB by the Japanese. As for why I think giving more to to Lucky Star from Lucky Channel is a good idea, it's because Lucky Channel hasn't shown that it can have any sort of variance from the Akira is Bipolar, Minoru a wimps them, but Lucky Star proper can be anything it wants to be in terms of observational comedy, as long as it tries.

As for my enjoyment, I swear there's a pattern to this:

1st Quarter (Average) 2nd Quarter (Good) 3rd Quarter (Weak) 4th Quarter (Best) Lucky Channel (Worst) Ending (Variable)
Old 2007-06-07, 00:01   Link #78
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
- ...wait...is Konata talking about Super Smash Brothers?
Super Mario Bros 1, the first NES game, where in level 3-1 you could do the infinite lives trick, yet if you got greedy and tried to go past 129 lives (as Konata describes) you ended going back to 1 life.

edit:just as people mentioned back in the first page, doh!

I particularly enjoyed tihs chapter since it didn't heavily relied on obscure anime references and instead it did on Japanese culture, so with my intermediate Japanese level and culture knowledge I was able to get most of the jokes. A 9 for the "hey, my Japanese isn't that bad after all" factor
Old 2007-06-07, 00:31   Link #79
gaguri

Quote:
Using bloodtype to take a guess at a person's personality is also common in Korea, so I'm thinking it's an East Asian thing, although I don't know how this plays in Chinese society. For example, it's a common joke within people when they call someone 'you must be B type' when they're stingy and easy to upset. And you can find conversations in both real life and in TV shows where the topic of 'let's guess what blood type you are' and 'which blood types go together' are common. I used to have an opinion that this is all bullshit, how can you judge someone just by their blood types. Over time, I started to realise just how much I can't stand being with Blood A type males. From high school to present day, I had two Blood A types I was fairly close with, and it'd be a miracle if we didn't have one bloody disagreement or a feeling of irritation in a day with each other. Then there was a tv talk show between celebrities one day, where a guy with a blood A type confessed that he loathes working with blood O types so he avoids working with them at all cost. At which point, several other O types agreed in unison and I just loled because it's so true.

And why is it with people's inability to use eye drops properly? That scene is an exact replicate of how I had to 'aid' my brother on eye drops when he had his eye infection. It's an eye drop...why does he have to blink so many times...and let's not talk about his godlike aim that can't land a drop on his eyeball. Maybe it comes with experience, since I used to use it frequently while I had dry eyes during high school years.

Anyhow the show hasn't been that funny or memorable since their trip to the beach (my favourite episode).
Old 2007-06-07, 00:44   Link #80
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

(Brief) Random Thoughts on Ep09:
---- ----
  • The sound that Konata makes as she approaches her PC is so nostalgic.
  • Konata gets owned by Nanako. In fact, this would be a running theme in this episode. You could titled it "Kagami Strikes Back" if you wanted to.
  • What are the words written on the clock in the room that Kagami and Tsukasa are studying in?
  • Are they talking about the platypus in the library?
  • Another whispered barb by Konata at Tsukasa's expense. I want another Tsukasa comeback at this rate.
  • Kagami owns Konata in the sushi horoscope and the phone conversation.
  • Nice to see the parents play a part again.
  • Kagami's draconian dictatorship at the cake buffet was a treat to watch, even if it traumatised Tsukasa.
  • Minesweeper expert under 100s?

The fastest I ever gotten was 180s. Ah... the boring days of military life doing guard duty at night.
  • Konata got her one and only comeback at Kagami in the conversation about basic groceries.
  • The Miyuki eyedrop scene just felt "wrong" on so many levels.
Cheers.