AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-07, 13:59   Link #141
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I'm compelled to say that you think too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Poor Kanata stops, falters, then drops(?) or passes out while bringing tea to Sou-kun?
She saw that he was working, and left the tea at the door instead. It's what most people would have done.
Old 2008-03-08, 09:16   Link #142
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I'm compelled to say that you think too much.
She saw that he was working, and left the tea at the door instead. It's what most people would have done.
L*S being a series chock full of subtleties and obscure aspects planted in the otherwise seemingly obvious, that's why I posed it in _question marks_ , sir.

Dee
(Who's always polite to everyone)
Old 2008-03-08, 15:25   Link #143
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Rooms are treated with some reverence in japanese culture. If you'll watch anime like Ai Yori Aoshi, you'll see very formal old-fashioned girls always dropping to their knees before opening a door to bring tea.

If Konata did such a thing, you *know* there's some level of irony or mental cosplay involved.

edit: wait, I'm thinking of a different moment in the series with Konata rather than mom --- hang on while I look at ep 22 for a sec.
editedit: yeah, my original thought was right though it is with Kanata. Kanata is just kneeling to set the tea down ala Aoi from AYA so as not to disturb him.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-08 at 20:10.
Old 2008-03-13, 22:18   Link #144
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

When I showed the link below someone suggested I use this as a cultural reference. The segment below is one I thought was interesting. Those who know me would be better able to get the joke.

Lucky Star - What animal are you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPbA6JuKBTs

I said this before but it deserves repeating, my last name IRL is Lucky and my mother's name was Patricia. She had red hair like me, not blonde hair like the Patricia of Lucky Star.
Old 2008-03-14, 16:47   Link #145
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...you'll see very formal old-fashioned girls always dropping to their knees before opening a door to bring tea. If Konata did such a thing, you *know* there's some level of irony or mental cosplay involved.
So then you're hinting that all that kneeling and humbling she did before daddy in the New Years ep wasn't sincere??

Dee
Old 2008-03-14, 18:12   Link #146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eeeeeeeeyup..... (well, it was half-sincere in that she gives him a hard time but does love him).
Old 2008-03-14, 19:21   Link #147
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

As long as I am thinking about Cutural References, I should ask how the expression "Lucky!" got started in Japan. Since it is both one of my greatest allies and one of my toughest opponents, I should learn more about it.
Old 2008-03-15, 00:32   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll speculate you find the catchphrase "Lucky!" showed up during the post-WW2 Allied Occupation period, but good luck in the research.
Old 2008-03-15, 05:57   Link #149
Dee Eon

Chapter 12 Plus Stinks

Hi All!

At the comic convention Tsukasa asks a guide; "Where is Pu 61?"

"Pu" -- get it? Another subtle stink reference (though I wonder does pee-yew phonetically mean the same in Japanese as "Pu" does in English?)

I'm starting to come to the conclusion by the dozens of references to bad odors in the series that; 1.) the artists at KyotoAnimation are poking fun of a departed unliked member with a bad B.O. problem or stinky talent (was his KA employee #61?) or 2.) KyotoAnimation is located near some kind of terrible garbage dump or an awful nearby kitchen. The latter ought be confirmable by fans who live in Kyoto, so my bet is they're really hitting on a banished someone very unpopular in the offices there. If there are stink mentions in other KyotoAnimation works then it'd more hint an environmental than personal cause.

Just guessing. I'm no Sherlock-Kona!

Dee
Old 2008-03-15, 13:40   Link #150
Once and Current Subber

I've noticed more than a few girls in anime talking about various snack food in unimportant background talk (or often in "establishing shots" to show that a conversation was going on before the part the viewer gets to see kicks in). "It stinks, doesn't it?!" is one of the staple phrases of that. So rather than referring to an individual stinker, this is just KyoAni taking that sort of thing and running it into the ground to make a point...
Old 2008-03-15, 14:55   Link #151
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

I've heard that the most common thing for boys to talk about is politics and the most common thing for girls to talk about is food. Although the survey was done in the United States, I would guess it is a fairly universal thing. Obesity is something that has been getting worldwide attention this decade. It has always been with us, but has never been as common as it is now.
Old 2008-03-29, 08:59   Link #152
Dee Eon

Possible Cultural Reference on "Sebastian" origins

Possible "Sebastian" origins: Mom cites that in the late sixties there was a American sitcom called "Family Affair" co-starring Sebastian Cabot as a stately rotund English/Maltese butler. His pudgy bearded face is recognizable even today, primarily for a classic "Twilight Zone" episode starring him supposedly being an angel in heaven (Said enough there!) . Anyway, Cabot was known as one of the most recognizable, affable and jovial personalities on American T.V. and if he was known on Japan T.V. back when, he might've made a splash being recognized as a butler.

Dee
Authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??" and "Kanata's Dream" and PPGZ's "Blueberry" and "Bunny Z"
Old 2008-03-29, 20:11   Link #153
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

April Fool's Day appears to be as big in Japan as it is here. Episode 15 deals with April Fool's Day jokes and many of them backfire. Konata telling her teacher Miyuki said something, but her teacher hangs up before she can say it was just a joke. Yutaka makes a joke about skipping a grade (like Chiyo of Azumanga Daioh) and many people believe it. Even Akira gets into the act by telling Minoru episode 15 will be his last episode. Although some, maybe even most, of these April 1 hoaxes are seen as good jokes, many people are worried that one of them might backfire bigtime. It has happened before.
Old 2008-04-04, 04:48   Link #154
Dee Eon

When's the next update of the References List?

When's the next update of the References List?

Thanks!

Dee
Authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream", "Kanata Thawed", "Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", and PPGZ's "Blueberry" and "Bunny Z"
Old 2008-04-06, 17:56   Link #155
Typius

In episode 14, when Konata is cutting food in front of Yutaka, she is following instructions from a Nintendo DS game. I think the game might be Cooking Mama, and the orange apron Konata wears looks like the one worn by Mama.
Old 2008-05-18, 09:43   Link #156
Pride
Ore, Sanjou!

Hmm, there was this reference Shiraishi made about Daisuke Ono's role as Sven in CE 73 Stargazer, right? Or was I imagining things?
Old 2008-06-05, 02:18   Link #157
Dee Eon

Is there any way to directly insert cultural references/updates into the main References List?

Dee
Old 2008-06-14, 02:36   Link #158
Dee Eon

Subtle Gags

Hi All:

I long overlooked this until someone mentioned to me how rarely it occurs on American cartoons, so I guess these are culturally-dependent sight-gags!

The minor side-gags on L*S under the sublime and references-pregnant banter that make me laugh are things like how people are realistically portrayed on the TV shows and commercials the L*S folks watch, unlike the Lucky Star characters themselves! In fact the most realistic I've seen the L*S gang portrayed is in:

Another anime-rich thing that makes me laugh is how they can "actually" peek into another's imaginations, like the ep where Konata's explaining to Tsukasa how win to post-card newspaper contests and not only does Tsukasa look up at Konata's vision but so does Kagami! Ditto Tsukasa seeing Konata's spinning cell-phone meter imagination. We also know Kona can not only "read" Kagami's mind but can zap some of her own telepathy jabs in Kaggy head like in that UFO Catcher episode! Kaggie's shock and sweat was priceless!

Lots more to comment on!

Dee
Old 2008-06-14, 15:19   Link #159
A.Miwa

Info about ep 22 ...
Sorry If someone already said that, but I haven't seen it anywhere ...

Spoiler for ep. 22:
Old 2008-06-15, 12:22   Link #160
Once and Current Subber

There's a bit of the Mojipittan song in ep 10 as well.