AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-16, 16:59   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Err, if you know of any loose Linux virus, give me a call. The low market share of Linux in comparison to Windows (5% against 85%) and differences in their internal architecture make coding a virus for Linux not a very promising endeavor. Every virus out there is for the Windows operative system. And most probably, there can be no cross-platform viruses (mainly due to those architectural differences I spoke of).
Probably the biggest danger to Linux users at the moment is the security bugs recently found in the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) that most people install for web usefulness and stuff (makes OpenOffice work and Firefox happier). (source: recent CERT and SANS security community reports)

However... most of the JRE issues I've read about *assume* that the target victim is a Windows user... so they get in but they have the wrong floorplans, so to speak.

I should point out that Java and JRE is still a 'closed source' toolkit of sorts until Sun finally really joins the parade instead of just being dressed for it.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 00:24   Link #122
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I think it uses a mix of the two explanation. It uses /etc/udev, /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and a minimal /etc/module (no .conf on the end).

I'm just reading up on how Ubuntu loads devices myself. I realised when I was about to reply, that I've only dealt with this type of problem with Red Hat and SuSE with multiple port network cards and normally once I've rebound the device to the right eth using aliases it sticks. If yours is intermittent on Ubuntu booting that says to me that its something to do with the way the device id is being set.

I've only got one snd device on my lappie, so could you post the lines in

/etc/udev/rules.d/85-alsa.rules
Old 2007-07-22, 09:27   Link #123
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Actually does anyone know of a soundcard that's linux friendly, that can do on the fly Dolby digital or DTS encoding?

Or is there a software version to enable on the fly dts encoding (which will go out via SPDIF o a 5.1 reciever)

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-07-22 at 10:42.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 06:31   Link #124
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Terratec Aureon or Auzen X-Plosion 7.1, X-Mystique 7.1 maybe...

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 02:19   Link #125
grey_moon

I need a mp3 player that is most like WinAmp Lite.... I don't want it to try to import all my tunes, or build up any database to import to my non existent iPod yada yada.... I want to be able to open up a directory and it create an on the fly play list of all the tunes in that directory... So far I've tried Helix and RythemBox, maybe I'm using them wrong, but I can't seem to do something so simple. So far the only thing that comes close is Totem, but I want to be able to shuffle too...
Old 2007-07-29, 02:27   Link #126
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

aww crap, yeah there's drivers, but the o/s versions don't have dd live. Hmm, that kind of makes me wonder whether to stick with Ubunu.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 03:12   Link #127
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Well... there's XMMS which is basically a WinAMP clone.
The best music player for Linux is Amarok in my opinion. It even has plugins for the iPod.

http://amarok.kde.org/

Old 2007-07-29, 13:02   Link #128
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Amarok is great IMO, even for people like me who doesn't have an iPod. I'm certain it beats any other player I've seen in Windows.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 14:43   Link #129
Takeru
Jag šter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
Quote:
Amarok is great IMO, even for people like me who doesn't have an iPod. I'm certain it beats any other player I've seen in Windows.
I loved Amarok when I had Ubuntu, it was a great way to move from iTunes (since it looks like a modified iTunes4). But, I actually grew to like XXMS better than any of the other players near the end.
Old 2007-07-29, 15:08   Link #130
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Well, I always saw iTunes as a piece of crap. Seriously, I fail to understand what do people see in it (other than the capability of syncing to the iPod).

Old 2007-07-29, 15:14   Link #131
Takeru
Jag šter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, I always saw iTunes as a piece of crap. Seriously, I fail to understand what do people see in it (other than the capability of syncing to the iPod).
I personally find it faaaar easier to use/import/convert/burn music than any other program I've used. I tried WMP and hated it and still do. WinAmp made me want to rip my hair out. Don't even talk to me about MusicMatch or RealPlayer.
Also, I'm a big fan of the AAC codec (m4a) and don't like having 20 different kinds of music files (mp3, FLAC, APE, CDA, wma, rma, ogg)
And one thing people fail to remember is that it's a MUSIC player. not a universal player for everything.
Old 2007-07-29, 15:20   Link #132
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

On Windows I used The Core Media Player, which is IMO a highly improved version of Winamp (search bar + 900% less load on the system). I tried iTunes but it hogged the crap out of my PC. The concept was nice, but I found it (other than slow) badly implemented. Amarok not only is far lighter, it tweaks all those things I saw as inconvenient in iTunes. Plus it has the capability of being modifiable (plugins) and a lot of pluses like integrated Wikipedia support, lyric searcher, nice context handlers... The only I liked in iTunes was the podcast section, but then again, I don't listen to them much.

Old 2007-07-29, 18:52   Link #133
grey_moon

@Syaoran - Thank you XMMS was just what I wanted, something that lets me play music and that is all! My comment about iPod was because I don't actually have one and was pretty annoyed that all the media players all seem to want to cater for it. I'm cheap and went for a CreativeZen and I've really been impressed with Gnomad2 so much better then the POS that you need to use with Windows. Actually note to self - Next time I'll get one that I can just copy files over to like a usbhdd....
Old 2007-07-29, 21:58   Link #134
Takeru
Jag šter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Plus it has the capability of being modifiable (plugins) and a lot of pluses like integrated Wikipedia support, lyric searcher, nice context handlers... The only I liked in iTunes was the podcast section, but then again, I don't listen to them much.
iTunes has built in plug-in support for visualizers, but if you really want to make it modifiable there's a brilliant program out there called the iTunes MultiPlugin. and it allows the addition of skins, lyrics, and other wonderous features. And on the mac you have a plugin (forget the name of it) that allows the playing of ogg and other files. Also, I never liked that bright blue looks of Amarok =/

I'll stop spamming this thread with my iTunes-fanboyness now.
Old 2007-07-30, 11:56   Link #135
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
@Syaoran - Thank you XMMS was just what I wanted, something that lets me play music and that is all! My comment about iPod was because I don't actually have one and was pretty annoyed that all the media players all seem to want to cater for it. I'm cheap and went for a CreativeZen and I've really been impressed with Gnomad2 so much better then the POS that you need to use with Windows. Actually note to self - Next time I'll get one that I can just copy files over to like a usbhdd....
Good ^^

I don't have an iPod either, but I use it sync my iRiver with it. Their software for windows doesn't eat Sweex Ogg encoded files for some reason, while Amarok doesn't care what you want to put on the iRiver :3

But seriously, if you ever need one to manage a music collection with cd covers, lyrics etc, Amarok is the way to go.

I'm waiting for the QT4 version, so it can be used on Windows as well. Currently I use Foobar2K (minimal with no plugins) and am testing musikCube which is an attempt to make an Amarok for Windows.

Old 2007-07-31, 08:08   Link #136
xat
*Fansubber

Hm, no mention of Exaile?
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 09:59   Link #137
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Exaile was lacking back when I tested version 0.3. It seemed promising, but still very, very lacking.

Old 2007-07-31, 15:16   Link #138
xat
*Fansubber

I suppose I came in at the right time; when I first started using Exaile it was well within the 0.2 branch (I'm assuming you mean you tested something earlier than 0.2---0.3 as a version has yet to be conceived ) and had a lot/all of what I was looking for.

Integrates well too (yummy).

Last edited by xat; 2007-07-31 at 15:30.
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 17:39   Link #139
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Well, the main thing it was missing when I tested it (version 0.2.9, now that I looked at the website), was a graphic equalizer. That drove me nuts, I looked for a way of applying the patch that was supposed to exist but I couldn't find any way of doing so. Glad to hear it's been bundled in version 0.3, but right now, Amarok is cool enough for me (even though I'm using GNOME).

Old 2007-08-03, 16:09   Link #140
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Okay, here's a stupid question:

When I was a Linux newbie (read: four months ago--fortunately I've made a lot of progress in my understanding of the system in such a short amount of time), I wanted to check out KDE, but I didn't know KDE could be downloaded and installed separately as another application. So I did what most newbies would do: installed Kubuntu into another partition. However, now I want to get rid of that partition (read: I didn't like KDE, and I don't plan on trying it out for the time being). Since so much time passed, I can't remember exactly where did I mount it, and I think I've even forgotten where the heck my main system is located, if in the first or second hard drive (they're both SATA, so no master/slave bullshit).

Is there a quick command that can give me the layout tree of both hard drives? And, if there is, how do I format the Kubuntu partition?

EDIT: Okay, I think I found the Kubuntu partition--I tried opening a 7 GB "Volume" in computer:///, and after asking me for administrative rights I managed to mount the partition in /media/disk. I can confirm it is since in the /usr/bin folder there's a lot of KDE applications' binaries I never installed with my main system. So, were I to format it, would there be any conflicting administrative rights with Kubuntu itself? What about GRUB? Is there a way of merging that partition with another one (after formatting it)?

Tags
linux, ubuntu