AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-11, 18:49   Link #61
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well there's not much to say about the 1st episode. Pretty stock introduction story ya know?

The one thing I was impressed with and others have mentioned is the show so far seems to have maintained a very nice level of animation quality...That was one thing I was worried about that going from the OVA to the TV series there'd be a noticeable drop, but everything was extremely lovely.

Looks like this should be a fun ride...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 22:06   Link #62
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
As Kimichi stated not much to say about the first episode. It seemed like a typical first episode getting things set up for the main story. But certain truths are always in effect for this type of series.

1. Super cute loli's kicking ass and saving earth is always a good thing.
2. who doesnt like watching mechs blow the living crap out of things.
3. Did i mention super cute loli's in mechs kick ass?
Old 2007-07-11, 22:45   Link #63
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
1. Super cute loli's kicking ass and saving earth is always a good thing.
2. who doesnt like watching mechs blow the living crap out of things.
3. Did i mention super cute loli's in mechs kick ass?
Ya know what would make it even better? If they were World War II themed... Oh wait, someone already came up with that idea... MAKE A DAMN STRIKE WITCHES ANIME! JESUS CHRIST!

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 01:36   Link #64
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I didn't really like the opening and ending much, is unfortunate. But regardless, I thought the body of episode 1 had that intangible feeling of quality, and it had it very strongly. Considering the ultra-lightweight premise, it's fair to expect loli fanservice garbage and not even try it... but after seeing episode 1, I would not be surprised if this turns out as good as Zero no Tsukaima 2. And I thought ZnT was excellent! But then again, ZnT2 has new staff for direction and series composition, which is disappointing.

So, color me impressed. I will give episode 1 an 8/10 - I thought it was very good, but could have been a touch more serious or realistic. However, it's also nice to have this kind of lighthearted theme where the director doesn't try to make you cry all the time, even when he legitimately could.

Edit: How ironic, I honestly didn't notice this when I was typing the above, but these people:

Quote:
Director: Yoshiaki Iwasaki
Series Composition: Takao Yoshioka
Script: Takao Yoshioka
...moved from Zero no Tsukaima to Sky Girls, keeping their same roles
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 09:10   Link #65
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Just a quick two questions:

1. How does the TV series shape up to the OVA?
2. On a scale of 1-10, how jailbait is the TV series. 1 being yawn, 10 being makes 16yr olds feel like pedophiles.

Currently Involved in: Various Projects with Shinsen-Subs (AFX)
http://www.reanmachine.com/ - My own little world of nonsense
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 09:12   Link #66
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Ya know what would make it even better? If they were World War II themed... Oh wait, someone already came up with that idea... MAKE A DAMN STRIKE WITCHES ANIME! JESUS CHRIST!
yeah im going to have to agree with you. Iv got my romance gene with school days my sci-fi heroic age and Towards terra, Iv got my comedy/romance with Hayate and the second season of Zero Tsukimia plus my suspense/thriller with the new Higurashi. But with loli i think i would rather see Strike Witches.

Also i prefer the OP theme and animation from the OVA Sky Girls over the new TV one. Baby's tears was just a great and a catchy song
Old 2007-07-12, 09:18   Link #67
JagdPanther

Quote:
Also i prefer the OP theme and animation from the OVA Sky Girls over the new TV one. Baby's tears was just a great and a catchy song
Yeah, people were commenting on the OP when the RAW came out and then I watched the sub and I just was laughing through the whole thing. LOL

I don't watch the OP and ED after the first episode, so I only hear it once. lol But then the OP and ED changes at some random point in the season and I have to start watching again... Like with Gundam SEED. lol Changed every few episodes.

Old 2007-07-12, 09:30   Link #68
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post

2. On a scale of 1-10, how jailbait is the TV series. 1 being yawn, 10 being makes 16yr olds feel like pedophiles.
the ova shows a story which seems to be in the "middle" of the series ~ so even if they are connected what we see now in the series is the beginnings of the sky girls team :3

if you want real jailbait stuff go watch moetan (that series is heading for a scale of 20/10 they way it is heading ) ~ as for sky girls i say around 7-8

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 11:13   Link #69
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
yeah im going to have to agree with you. Iv got my romance gene with school days my sci-fi heroic age and Towards terra, Iv got my comedy/romance with Hayate and the second season of Zero Tsukimia plus my suspense/thriller with the new Higurashi. But with loli i think i would rather see Strike Witches.

Baby Tear's was a typical Idol Pop song through and through that I could hear almost anywhere in any series, not so much Virgin's High. Then again people seem to be into that kind of stuff lately, especially in Japan.

I couldn't even listen to the OVA opening the singer was so high pitched and wailing the lyrics. In fact it was so unremarkable that's the only thing I remember about it, nothing about the lyrics or the composition. To me Virgin's High is the catchy song with it's short rap about the Sky Girls at the beginning and fast paced style you don't hear all that often in an industry dominated by openings that sound like they belong in PC Eroge.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 13:31   Link #70
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post

Aw geez haha...well like death said after watching moetan this suddenly doesnt feel that disturbingly loli.

As for comparisons to the OVA hmmm...Storyline wise you cant really compare too much since they are starting at different points during the story, but the characters are mostly how I remember them and the animation is on-par with the OVA so id say they compare very favorably.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 14:22   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My mistake... I thought this *was* a tv series of Strike Witches (kind of wasted a download) .... ah well, carry on.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 14:25   Link #72
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Baby Tear's was a typical Idol Pop song through and through that I could hear almost anywhere in any series, not so much Virgin's High. Then again people seem to be into that kind of stuff lately, especially in Japan.

I couldn't even listen to the OVA opening the singer was so high pitched and wailing the lyrics. In fact it was so unremarkable that's the only thing I remember about it, nothing about the lyrics or the composition. To me Virgin's High is the catchy song with it's short rap about the Sky Girls at the beginning and fast paced style you don't hear all that often in an industry dominated by openings that sound like they belong in PC Eroge.
Im the opposite i cant listen to virgin high it feels like my ears are screming for me to have mercy on them. But everyone's musical taste vary
Old 2007-07-12, 14:57   Link #73
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My mistake... I thought this *was* a tv series of Strike Witches (kind of wasted a download) .... ah well, carry on.
Yeah, I was confused when the two OAVs came out. Didn't know the difference until I watched them.

Old 2007-07-12, 16:36   Link #74
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Im the opposite i cant listen to virgin high it feels like my ears are screming for me to have mercy on them. But everyone's musical taste vary
very much...i think that the "screeching" part was pretty much the highlight for me ~ kinda reminds me of angela's style :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2007-07-12, 21:40   Link #75
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Eppie 2 caps, if you want 'em.
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=192

spoiler for short summary
Spoiler:
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 23:59   Link #76
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I was very happy with episode 2. The story and the characters are evolving at a pace I like, and the voice acting continues to be outstanding. With Kawasumi Ayako, Itou Shizuka, Gotou Saori, Horie Yui and Fujiwara Keiji as almost the only speakers, how could it not be? And I like the look and the animation.

I found the OVA gross and boring, but this is the same staff, so I don't know what happened. Maybe I'll lose interest once the fighting becomes the main thing, and not the characters.

I liked the OP. As Kaioshin said, it had a little bit of something different. I also like the OP of Zombie-Loan, for similar reasons. Everyone else in that thread and in blogs seems to loathe it.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 00:30   Link #77
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post

Aw geez haha...well like death said after watching moetan this suddenly doesnt feel that disturbingly loli.

As for comparisons to the OVA hmmm...Storyline wise you cant really compare too much since they are starting at different points during the story, but the characters are mostly how I remember them and the animation is on-par with the OVA so id say they compare very favorably.
Heh, yea... I had to ask cuz well, i started watchin anime when i was about 15, so all the high school shows were all good n' stuff, well now im prettymuch 22, and i see high school girls and go... "Woah..." then there's Sky Girls.....

Then again, I did used to work with a fella named 'Draders' in Nanashi-fansubs, and if anyone knows draders, he's the LOLI king.

You should see some of the WB's he has on IRC, lol... a certain ammount of loli love rubs off on ya when you work with such an engrossed master.

Anyway, I'm not so sure im going to pick up the series, but i do remember it was quite well put together (from a technical standpoint) although i question a serious storyline with loli girls in fighter-jet exo-skeletons. But hey... if eva worked... so can anything...

Currently Involved in: Various Projects with Shinsen-Subs (AFX)
http://www.reanmachine.com/ - My own little world of nonsense
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 01:12   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay.. giving this series another chance. Went ahead and watched it even though it wasn't the Strike Witches I was looking for ......

Animation quality is pretty good and nothing really made me say "oye ouch"
Also... I say I'm not a mecha fan.... but really I'm more not a fan of the dismal storylines that accompany a number of mecha stories. We'll see how it goes.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 09:21   Link #79
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

well...i tried

Sonic Diver! Sky girls episode 2 Summary ~

Old 2007-07-13, 16:10   Link #80
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

I have seen far more irritating openings, and dimly thought out op/eds that are slapped onto a series to sale cds is far worse (bleaches 11th ending,its out of place and stupid).

watching ep 1 now,dosent seem so bad so far..

-------------------
loli factor is slightly annoying but otherwise its not bad,solid opening and ending,all it really needs is charatcer deving and its all good..

Last edited by ZippyDSM; 2007-07-13 at 17:43.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loli, mecha