AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Old 2013-06-20, 10:34   Link #7761
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esg View Post
When was any female in Destiny a paragon of independence or strength? Half of the named females were drooling over Athrun, Lacus was with Kira,
Wait, you actually think Lacus was calling the shots and doing what she is doing because of Kira?

You think Cagali was behaving the way she did because of Athrun?

Being independent does not equal being lonely. Just because they have/found their soulmates does not make them any less independent. Some females in SEED aren't like this, but its a fact I made painfully clear. Though you can't blame me if you missed it.

Quote:
Now unto predecessors, Syla was an active pilot and even used the Gundam. Emma was a Gundam pilot and a central character until the last episode.
ZZ Had Roux and Elle. F91 had Cessily.
Elle? Elle was there for the ride because she had a childhood crush on a certain individual.

And who is more fierce than Haman Karn?

Quote:
Gundam X had Tiffa Paula and Enil. Naw they got a more consistent record stacked against one series IMO
Tiffa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
Well for me, seeing Lacus, Cagalli, and pretty much most of the female cast as independent characters was kinda outlandish. Most of them aren't older than 20 years old and yet they are leading all these people and nations, I just don't get how somebody would just follow such a young person. I know we, in the past, have had 8 year old emperors but its not like they lead the nation. Just seemed weird to me.
Fifteen year old pilots? Sixteen year old queens? Of course its outlandish, impossible and downright nuts. At least by our standards today.

Then again, aren't most anime heroines or heroes in that age category? You might wonder why this is being perpetuated in Japanese fiction. Well, traditionally, from a Japanese cultural standpoint, you are already an adult by the time you are 16.

And its not uncommon in history, to see many boys going off to war before they even hit puberty. Hell, Genghis Khan participated in raids and killed people before he was 10 and led armies when he was 16. Even Alexander was subduing rebellions at that age. Its not common, but certainly had precedents.

- Tak

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2013-06-20 at 10:45.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 10:53   Link #7762
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And its not uncommon in history, to see many boys going off to war before they even hit puberty. Hell, Genghis Khan participated in raids and killed people before he was 10 and led armies when he was 16. Even Alexander was subduing rebellions at that age. Its not common, but certainly had precedents.
and all those are seriously rare happenings and the reason why we remember those facts till this day, it doesn't happen all time, like in CE. I know putting real world logic in anime, especially Gundam, is a bad idea. the writers just want to make they're characters stand out, when you don't do that characters/shows are forgotten pretty quickly.
Old 2013-06-20, 10:59   Link #7763
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
the writers just want to make they're characters stand out, when you don't do that characters/shows are forgotten pretty quickly.
Perhaps the writers want to stress on the content of their fictional history so that the fictional peoples of their fictional universe would remember them as important fictional historic figures?

- Tak

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2013-06-20, 11:20   Link #7764
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Perhaps the writers want to stress on the content of their fictional history so that the fictional peoples of their fictional universe would remember them as important fictional historic figures?

- Tak
True, but they really went out of their way to do that.
Old 2013-06-20, 14:29   Link #7765
Aquaman OS

Nah it's just that in Japan the prime age to be "heroes" are usually your late teens because after 20 all of Japan except the entertainment industry and shut in otaku submit themselves to be salaryman wage slaves working 6-9 for the rest of their lives.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 14:37   Link #7766
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Current economic climate makes it difficult to even become a lifelong salaryman wage-slave

And even those folks get their share in the manga industry. They are just seldom animated.

Seriously though, the concept for Coming-of-Age in Japan is somewhat serious business. You get a ceremony usually around 15. Traditionally, you are considered an adult by 16. Not surprising to see this trend being reflected in anime productions.

- Tak

Old 2013-06-20, 19:46   Link #7767
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Considered an adult at 16 in Japan? Since when? Last I checked, teenagers in Japan were socially considered "bigger children" rather than "young adults" like in the West.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:23   Link #7768
The American Average
2LMES

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Freedom launch.... yay
Old 2013-06-20, 23:28   Link #7769
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Considered an adult at 16 in Japan? Since when? Last I checked, teenagers in Japan were socially considered "bigger children" rather than "young adults" like in the West.
Legally, you are obviously not an adult.

Culturally, you were considered one. Traditionally, your first entry into adult life would have been 16. The whole process in celebrating that entry used to be called Genpuku.

Of course, fiction tend to focuses on the cultural/traditional aspect of it, not in a legal or realistic sense. It would make more sense if you experienced teenage life or participated in its education system as a teenager in Japan.

- Tak

Old 2013-06-20, 23:34   Link #7770
Aquaman OS

All hail our lord and savior. All praises to Jesus Yamato!
Old 2013-06-20, 23:39   Link #7771
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
All hail our lord and savior. All praises to Jesus Yamato!
I must admit, when I first saw that scene back in the day, I cheered. I know they were trying, but I never, never liked Shinn.

- Tak

Old 2013-06-20, 23:43   Link #7772
monster

Okay, here's one more thing that may support the idea that Durandal was the one who sent those would-be assassins: At the beginning, the leader mentioned that they were not supposed to leave any trace that Lacus died, which would serve the party that has a Lacus impersonator.

Of course, there might be other reasons why they would not want Lacus's death to be known, but the most obvious reason points to Durandal's plan.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 23:48   Link #7773
Aquaman OS

That pretty much cemented it from day one. However because Durandal never outright says "Mwahahaha I did it" Kira haters continue to insist that he didn't.

They did seem to make the assassins slightly more competent here though.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:49   Link #7774
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
WAT? Tiffa Adill is an example of an independent woman? She’s a “damsel-in-distress” during many occasions in Gundam X. Many times, she’s just awaiting to be rescued by Garrod and quite helpless without him (and others) even though she indeed has her own goal.
Yup

Quoting Tiffa:

"Garrod...."
"Garrod...."
"Garrod...."
"Garrod...."
"Garrod...."
"Garrod...."
"Garrod...."

And to those who have not seen X, no I'm not spamming, she really does say his name alot

On topic: I always love seeing Freedom spread its wings while everyone else overreacts XD

Too bad most of the fun ends when their little "interventions" starts........
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 00:03   Link #7775
The American Average
2LMES

Always hated this episode, with the whole elite troops lose to just marrue and waltfield, while carrying a lot of dead weight. but in the episode they fixed Marrue's face expersions so she showed quite a bit of emotion in those scenes that was a nice touch. they did the cool looking ending again that was nice too bad the last picture of the opening wasn't a new Gundam like Destiny gundam, it was still Strike Freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Quoting Tiffa:"Garrod...."x7
And to those who have not seen X, no I'm not spamming, she really does say his name a lot
well in Tiffa's defense she was never supposed to be a super soldier pilot girl she really was a damsel in distress. it worked with the story she did say Garrod a lot, but Garrod said "Tiffa!" just as much.
Old 2013-06-21, 00:10   Link #7776
S.Freedom

@Aquaman OS Could you explain how they seemed more competent to you?

Because they seemed to have done the same thing they did in the old episode to me.

And I'm not seeing any new/altered footage aside from the ending. Which is a waste if you ask me. Because whatever recourses where used to do that could've been used to make Luna look better or something.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 00:19   Link #7777
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
And I'm not seeing any new/altered footage aside from the ending. Which is a waste if you ask me. Because whatever recourses where used to do that could've been used to make Luna look better or something.
there was quite a bit of new/altered footage, mostly altered. mostly it was on the faces and the freedom itself. the biggest facial change was Marrue in the shoot outs she had a much more stern face in those scenes, and the Freedom got a touched up version of the slice and dice of those green MS and the launch buts its subtle its shinny-er.

looks like somebody is a Luna fanboy, you've been defending her quite a bit lately . don't worry its not fun when your liked character get bashed/forgotten in story, by everyone lol

lol post #7777

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-06-21 at 00:42.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 00:21   Link #7778
Aquaman OS

They don't fire a shot until Andy surprise kills one of them for one (don't know if that's in the original).

Murrue sneak attacks that one guy by hiding behind the corner kicking him by surprise and shooting him while he was stunned (which was reanimated, in the original she just up and falcon kicks him and he goes down)

Andy looks like he's seriously gonna lose to that one guy till he surprises him with the gun arm.

In fact they only take down 4 of the Assassins, and 3 of them were with sneak attacks (Andy surprise snipes the one guy outside from through the open window, Murrue surprises the guy behind the corner, Andy surprises him with the gun arm,) and the last guy was the one that snuck right up to the group and almost had her until Haro gave him away and he was in a vent with no where to run.

All in all Murrue and Andy look like they're really fighting for their lives here and they couldn't take them all if they didn't get into that shelter, where as in the original they seem to have no problem.

Also the special op team's guns seem quieter now.

Speaking of new facial animations Kira actually emotes much more here. He seems to be psyching himself up when booting up the Freedom, seems pissed when taking down the Ash's (in the original he had the same blank stare he usually had) and as in the special edition, reacts with surprise when they self destruct.
Old 2013-06-21, 00:32   Link #7779
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
I actually think that the cold blank stare after they self destruct was better, than to have him react shocked

Especially when his flashbacks point to him becoming even more crazy protective of Lacus.
Old 2013-06-21, 00:44   Link #7780
S.Freedom

@The American Average It's the skirt man the skirt.

Seriously though, I like the spunky types, they interest me more than the wallflower types like Meyrin. Though Meyrin is among the few exceptions I like and wish would develop as a character. And yeah her getting chickified was annoying.

Though I do wish they'd give Shiho more of a presence. She's supposed to be a member of Yzaks team, yet the two times she could have been shown doing something with the rest of his team she's been MIA. As it is the only evidence that she exists is in one of the closings.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha