AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-11-29, 15:26   Link #10101
Aquaman OS

That last charge wasn't one. That's the one that calls into question if Kira ever meant to kill Shinn at all at any point because Kira stabs him in the head rather than the cockpit.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 16:19   Link #10102
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
That last charge wasn't one. That's the one that calls into question if Kira ever meant to kill Shinn at all at any point because Kira stabs him in the head rather than the cockpit.
Yeah, but the angle of the Impulse's charge very much makes it look like the blade goes through the head and the torso. Probably camera angle error on that last bit, though.
Old 2013-12-04, 11:35   Link #10103
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!

Small question. What do you think is the series' theme? While the SEED appeared to focus on racism with all the Coordinators/Naturals conflict, Destiny seemed more focused on media with the Chairman gaining people's attention.
amaterasu4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 11:38   Link #10104
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Small question. What do you think is the series' theme? While the SEED appeared to focus on racism with all the Coordinators/Naturals conflict, Destiny seemed more focused on media with the Chairman gaining people's attention.
Social control
Old 2013-12-04, 23:55   Link #10105
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
I've read somewhere that GSD was likely themed on post-9/11 America. Think of the parallels:
  • Durandal, Djibril, Copeland = George W. Bush
  • Junius Seven colony drop = possibly World Trade Center?
  • ZAFT's hunt for Djibril = US's hunt for Saddam (or Bin Laden)
  • Destiny Plan = Patriot Act
  • Pro-Durandal media = Fox News
  • Athrun's Infinite Justice was named after "Operation: Infinite Justice", the original code name for "Operation: Enduring Freedom"
Old 2013-12-05, 02:57   Link #10106
monster

Quote:
Choice (or lack thereof) and its consequence
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 22:06   Link #10107
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!

Quote:
I've read somewhere that GSD was likely themed on post-9/11 America. Think of the parallels:

Durandal, Djibril, Copeland = George W. Bush
Junius Seven colony drop = possibly World Trade Center?
ZAFT's hunt for Djibril = US's hunt for Saddam (or Bin Laden)
Destiny Plan = Patriot Act
Pro-Durandal media = Fox News
Athrun's Infinite Justice was named after "Operation: Infinite Justice", the original code name for "Operation: Enduring Freedom"
That's kind of paranoic. It's like somebody made up that after playing Metal Gear Solid 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Choice (or lack thereof) and its consequence.
I thought the title Destiny kind fit the show well. Durandal is controlling the destinies of his followers.
amaterasu4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 00:19   Link #10108
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Would any of you like a glass of tears courtesy of the YT commentators?

As for the Destiny Plan:

Destiny Plan = Patriot Act = Huxley's "Brave New World" = Hobbes' "The Leviathan". They do share a common theme of sacrificing individual's rights for more security.
Old 2013-12-07, 02:06   Link #10109
Destined_Fate

Still say Shinn was totally in the right for taking out Athrun based on what he knew.

Why is it that protagonist like Athrun, Lelouch, and Haruto completely blow at explaining their point at the most important moment? It's like they WANT to get screwed over by their former allies who have been lead to believe said protagonist betrayed them all?

Anyway, anyone check out the Astray stuff that came out this year?

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray B
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray R
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 02:18   Link #10110
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post

Would any of you like a glass of tears courtesy of the YT commentators?

As for the Destiny Plan:

Destiny Plan = Patriot Act = Huxley's "Brave New World" = Hobbes' "The Leviathan". They do share a common theme of sacrificing individual's rights for more security.
Ah a glass of tears is as sweet as the finest wine, I'll take a glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Still say Shinn was totally in the right for taking out Athrun based on what he knew.

Why is it that protagonist like Athrun, Lelouch, and Haruto completely blow at explaining their point at the most important moment? It's like they WANT to get screwed over by their former allies who have been lead to believe said protagonist betrayed them all?
I agree with Athrun and Haruto, but Lelouch? Nah he just adapted and everything still played out in palm of his hand at the end (unless you are talking about him and Suzaku in R1 and the earlier parts of R2)
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 02:49   Link #10111
Destined_Fate

Talking about when he let his brother steal the Black Knights from him. He even considered suicide. Guy really should have explained himself... Glad SRW Z2.2 gives you the option to let Lelouch do this.

-

Seems kinda reaching to equal Destiny Plan = Patriot Act.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 02:51   Link #10112
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Washu has a habit of severely overthinking this show, where very little thought was put into it in the first place.
Old 2013-12-07, 03:45   Link #10113
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Plot device combined with lazy writing.
Old 2013-12-07, 03:51   Link #10114
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
1.) Rey and Gil spent the past 5-10 minutes calmly and precisely destroying any credibility Athrun and Meyrin have, while also setting up the justification for shooting them down. They didn't tell any lies concerning the circumstances of their defection, which from the way they told it were pretty damning.

2.) Rey would not let Athrun get a word in. If he didn't interrupt over the com, he'd simply attack Athrun.

All thing's considered, Athrun didn't do that bad a job trying to get through to Shinn. I mean, what could he have said to Shinn? At this point, it's Athrun's word against their's. If he'd said "They tried to arrest me for no reason" what good would that have done? Shinn isn't going to let Athrun go, let alone fly off with him. He sure as hell isn't going to attack Rey.

Athrun's pretty well screwed at this point. All he could do was fight and try to show how manipulative Gil and Rey were, instill a little bit of doubt into the flowery language they liked to use. He couldn't really accuse them of anything specific, he had no evidence and even if he did, he had no opportunity to present it whatsoever.

P.S. You might think that Athrun might have been able to help his case by refusing to fight. Unfortunately, he wasn't on trial which he'd be able to walk away from. Nothing short of convincing Shin to fight Rey and defect with him would have saved Athrun at that point and there was just no way that was going to happen.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 19:12   Link #10115
Arze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Plot device combined with lazy writing.
Although I recognize that is a frequent situation in animes, with all respect, I have to disagree in what you have implied in that sentence.
I already consider "destiny has bad writing" as a mindless stock phrase.

In depicting convincing interpersonal relations and behaviors I believe the seed universe was more successful than most of the other gundam series.

In this regard, a "good" bad example is the zeta, but one moment in CCA takes the cake: Hathaway actions towards Chan Agi at the end of the movie.
I bet not even the best psychologistic in the world can find an a plausible reasoning for his actions

And that opens a plot hole, why wasn't he put into trial for his actions. Makes me wonder what excuse did he gave in the debriefing.
Unless in UC they don't care about recording communications or standard military procedures or even making a final evaluation after the operations.
But this is seed topic so I won't delve too much into that.
Arze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 20:07   Link #10116
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arze View Post
Although I recognize that is a frequent situation in animes, with all respect, I have to disagree in what you have implied in that sentence.
I already consider "destiny has bad writing" as a mindless stock phrase.

In depicting convincing interpersonal relations and behaviors I believe the seed universe was more successful than most of the other gundam series.

In this regard, a "good" bad example is the zeta, but one moment in CCA takes the cake: Hathaway actions towards Chan Agi at the end of the movie.
I bet not even the best psychologistic in the world can find an a plausible reasoning for his actions

And that opens a plot hole, why wasn't he put into trial for his actions. Makes me wonder what excuse did he gave in the debriefing.
Unless in UC they don't care about recording communications or standard military procedures or even making a final evaluation after the operations.
But this is seed topic so I won't delve too much into that.
Hey, I agree with most of your points up there.

SEED is one of the better Gundam animated series/OVAs in terms of depicting natural character relations and behaviors (to me, the best is still Gundam 0080). Although the "love" between Shinn & Lunamaria felt really forced to me.

I also don't put UC series on a pedestal, especially those created by Tomino. And yes, Hathaway's action is a prime example of WTF-writing unless the script explain that he actually has a potential to turn psychotic. Then again, there's also some WTF-moments in Destiny too. One example being Talia went "I'll just leave my precious son motherless because I feel like to die with my boyfriend right now, lol" . Seriously?

And don't even talk about proper trial or militaristic procedure in stories written by Tomino. They don't even have a key or any other safety measures for most of their MSs. Anybody who managed to jump into the cockpit and know how to pilot it can steal it. Their hangar security is a joke too. At least Gundam X has a joystick-like key in order to access it.

Still, my comment that you quoted was a reply to Destined's question that involve a number of characters (not just from Gundams series) who generally blow at explaining their points at a crucial moment. So, I just gave my general answer without going into details.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-12-07 at 20:21.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 01:23   Link #10117
Washu-Chan