AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-23, 15:52   Link #341
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well now ... this episode was definitely an improvement over the last two. The flow of the story feels more natural, especially the first half. Chihiro and Renji interactions seemed incredibly boring at first, but this time around i found myself sad at the focus shift to Hiro. Her situation is original and has a good drama potential. Very much looking towards to how they are going to go about it. I do wonder why the stories are so disjointed ... she is Kei's sister, but you can't feel that at all. Why is Yu her 'guardian' ? Isn't she living with Kei and their parents ? Or perhaps they don't have parents for some reason ? Hm ...

I wasn't even that annoyed by most of the 'shaft art' used on Chihiro's behalf, as it was somewhat fitting. Though anything is an improvement that was ep1.

Hiro and Miyako ... the guy sure is dense as rock - forgetting her name. I mean ... the name of all things, sheesh. Kei being upset as expected ... overall i am not fond of her personality, though it seems she is on the losing side in this love triangle. Her Seiyuu's performance at the end was very unconvincing though. Same old problems with choppy, doll like movements and lots of zoomed-out shots. Saving money on animation much ? Though this has been said time and time again, so no use repeating much. At least we got some eye candy sky shots, but character animation is kinda sup-par. After a rather shaky start this episode was a godsend, and i am really interested now, specially the Chihiro storyline. (Still wish the 'shaft art' was not there at all though.)
Old 2007-10-23, 17:35   Link #342
LCeh

When I first started watching this series, it caught me immediately with its visuals. First ep especially, the attention paid to camera angles and coloring was great.

After 2 episodes, I still don't know where this series is going yet, but it's very interesting. Right now the story is sort of interpolated with 2 arcs, but yet we know they are related, as they revolve around the same circle of people.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 18:24   Link #343
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hiro and Miyako ... the guy sure is dense as rock - forgetting her name. I mean ... the name of all things, sheesh.
I don't think you can call him dense if he honestly doesn't seem to care about her. He has no motivation whatsoever to get on her good side, from what we've seen anyway.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 20:19   Link #344
Keruri
Like a falling star

OMFG, the full song is AMAZING, in both Japanese and English.

I could listen to it for the rest of my life.

See, I told you that there was a Japanese version (according to the official video on the site). XD *mauled*

God, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by Keruri; 2007-10-23 at 20:39.
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:06   Link #345
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruri View Post
OMFG, the full song is AMAZING, in both Japanese and English.

I could listen to it for the rest of my life.

See, I told you that there was a Japanese version (according to the official video on the site). XD *mauled*

God, it's absolutely gorgeous.
You speak the truth. I'd definitely call Tenmon's arrangement a remarkable achievement; it excels in every department. Wonderful orchestration, beautiful swelling climaxes followed by absolutely perfect breaks, wonderful fills and counter-melodies, and superb harmonies. The only fault, if I can find one, is that the song almost deserves a more talented singer; not that it's bad by any means (despite the bad pronunciation, I actually think I like her voice better in English), but the little vocal imperfections stick out in comparison to the rest of the song.

If it weren't for the fact that I was already interested in the show to begin with, I would have checked it out just to see what sort of show is associated with such a great song. I'm a huge fan of anime music, but I think this OP (and really, the whole show) takes the cake. Amazing stuff!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 21:53   Link #346
dojikyo

Art direction is definitely one of kind in this series.
dojikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:45   Link #347
deffusse
otaku[SK]

so far I haven't found it, but yesterday someone told me where to find. I have lisen to both jap and english version of the song, and its amazingly good song. Little bit different from tv version .... On wiki they wrote that, there will be 3 kinds of ED song, so I'm prety hot for it
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:54   Link #348
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by siden87 View Post
btw anyone has any information about the maga? I've search and search but barely got any info about the manga, except that it's currently has reach volume 4 in japan and has no information whether it's been scanlated or not.
I don't know about scanlations but the story is basically:

Spoiler for manga 1-4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
she is Kei's sister, but you can't feel that at all. Why is Yu her 'guardian' ? Isn't she living with Kei and their parents ? Or perhaps they don't have parents for some reason ? Hm ...
Probably because Chihiro is supposed to limit contact with other people as she can't regret things she has done, etc. Her memory defect prevents her from learning much so she can't go to school (as well as the fact that there are too many people at school), and to limit contact with other people, she lives with Yu, a place with only one other person who isn't really related to her.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 00:32   Link #349
Enerccio
VN maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Enerccio
Hmm its me who finds strange that EF -tale of memories- DON'T HAVE IT'S OWN SUBFORUM?!
Old 2007-10-24, 00:46   Link #350
WhiteWings

Well, they're all interesting anyway. At least it's for more engaging than School Days. For a series with so many 'interesting' issues School Days was kinda half baked.
Old 2007-10-24, 02:18   Link #351
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You speak the truth. I'd definitely call Tenmon's arrangement a remarkable achievement; it excels in every department. Wonderful orchestration, beautiful swelling climaxes followed by absolutely perfect breaks, wonderful fills and counter-melodies, and superb harmonies. The only fault, if I can find one, is that the song almost deserves a more talented singer; not that it's bad by any means (despite the bad pronunciation, I actually think I like her voice better in English), but the little vocal imperfections stick out in comparison to the rest of the song.

If it weren't for the fact that I was already interested in the show to begin with, I would have checked it out just to see what sort of show is associated with such a great song. I'm a huge fan of anime music, but I think this OP (and really, the whole show) takes the cake. Amazing stuff!
I totally agree, the composer really did a great job, and I believe this goes on par, or even beat Yuukyuu no Tsubasa (ef game OP) in a way.
That's said, I think ELISA did a very impressive job in the harmony of her voice, and chant parts.
Ironically, I'm also much more fond of her english version, providing more chant and long, sweet and deep lyrics.
I'm not sure if the prononciation is at fault, though yes, she has some difficulty for the start. That said, i don't see any other imperfection (well I think i'm overlooking things ).
What's impressive is that... she is only 18 years old. That's quite a stunt oO
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 03:41   Link #352
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's said, I think ELISA did a very impressive job in the harmony of her voice, and chant parts.
Ironically, I'm also much more fond of her english version, providing more chant and long, sweet and deep lyrics.
I'm not sure if the prononciation is at fault, though yes, she has some difficulty for the start. That said, i don't see any other imperfection (well I think i'm overlooking things ).
Oh, certainly it's a very decent job -- above average, I'd even say. And at 18, I'd definitely say she's a singer to watch for. Aside from English pronunciation (which I'm not really blaming her for at all), she has a few minor problems with pitch, and yeah... somehow it seemed like the performance felt more heartfelt in the English version. Maybe it was just the tones of her English voice that seemed to work better for me. But this is just minor, minor nitpicking -- I only mentioned it to provide some semblence of balance in an otherwise gushing review. Absolutely love the song.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 10:50   Link #353
Keruri
Like a falling star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
Hmm its me who finds strange that EF -tale of memories- DON'T HAVE IT'S OWN SUBFORUM?!
Seconded. I'd love a subforum *cough*Avatarrequestthread*cough*.
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 11:20   Link #354
deffusse
otaku[SK]

Quote:
Yeah, absolute approval
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 12:12   Link #355
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I've been listening to both versions for a while now, and i've come to the conclusion that her English version delivers more power (so to say). I guess that's why they went with that version of the OP.

Quote:
With such a voice at that age, wow. I'll be keeping my eye on her future works.
Old 2007-10-24, 13:17   Link #356
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Hmm its me who finds strange that EF -tale of memories- DON'T HAVE IT'S OWN SUBFORUM?!....
You and I might far prefer ef to Myself;Yourself, but the fact is that this show has only 354 posts right now, while my;your has 850. I think the mods may regret having given forums to shows like Asatte no Houkou, which still has only 735 posts, and maybe even Kashimashi, which has only 1424. Those were also good shows (especially Asatte) that never became as popular as shows that I think are not as good. It's the way of the world.

All we can do is keep posting, and hope that others start posting so much that the show gets a forum.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 16:01   Link #357
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

I see that most people's focus is on the opening song, but I would recommend you guys to also pay more attention to the ending one. The TV size might sound mediocre, but if you listen to the full version, it actually has a pretty nice melody too (it's composed by Tenmon too after all), and on top of it, the lyrics describes a vivid picture despite of its simplicity. Have problem seeing the picture? Look at the lyrics from Chihiro's perspective (yes, even though it's sung by Miyako's seiyuu currently), and it should appear in front of you very clearly.

I think I might actually prefer the ending song over opening.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 17:18   Link #358
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
You and I might far prefer ef to Myself;Yourself, but the fact is that this show has only 354 posts right now, while my;your has 850. I think the mods may regret having given forums to shows like Asatte no Houkou, which still has only 735 posts, and maybe even Kashimashi, which has only 1424. Those were also good shows (especially Asatte) that never became as popular as shows that I think are not as good. It's the way of the world.
*Nods*

Also, I'd rather have a single thread with decent momentum than several threads earning only a few posts per day each.
Old 2007-10-25, 00:33   Link #359
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

By the way, here's a little entertainment for those who're interested.

If you go to the official site (http://www.ef-memo.com/) and get to the Top page, you will see a little diary near the bottom right corner. Click it and it will bring you to a page where you enter some kind of password/answer in the field. It's available for each of the episodes aired so far. We figured that the password/answer was an English word/term that appeared in the episode. Notice it's case sensitive. If you get it right, there will be a small reward waiting for you.

For episode 1, it's "nice boat". You guys try to figure out episode 2's and 3's.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 07:03   Link #360
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojikyo View Post
Art direction is definitely one of kind in this series.
I wouldn't agree. Hidamari Sketch, Zetsubou Sensei and any of Shinbo's other works have a very similar direction style, long before this show. It is one of a kind for this genre though.

Ep 3

Wow. This is my kind of series. Well-handled drama, interesting characters, poignant romance and lots of pathos. And everything, to this stage, has been handled so well. This is hitting balls out of the park all over the place, and it'd have to shoot itself in the foot something bad to not be a winner now. All of a sudden, this has become my pick for the season.

With Clannad, Kimikiss, this and to a (much) lesser extent, Myself; Yourself, this is turning out to be a great season for romance/drama series... but, at this stage, I'd say this has them all left for dead. "At this stage" being the operative statement, though, because I could see some of them, particularly Clannad, catching up later on.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft