AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-31, 18:26   Link #441
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Since it's impossible to tell when someone is joking on the internet, I'll pretend you're serious.
In American slang, 'bought the farm' = 'died.'
That's an interesting slang, actually.

A few years ago, 'bought the farm' was used in a certain sci-fi TV series. On the show's official forums, several people wrote that they'd never heard the phrase before, which came as a surprise to others.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 18:37   Link #442
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Since it's impossible to tell when someone is joking on the internet, I'll pretend you're serious.
In American slang, 'bought the farm' = 'died.'
Keep in mind that not everyone is bound to know american slangs, so there is absolutely no reason to assume someone is joking when he says he doesn't understand a slang term.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 18:45   Link #443
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Moon (where Feena at <3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Anyone know the "word" for this episode's diary entry on www.ef-memo.com?
You mean the answer to the Question/Present?
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 19:00   Link #444
Kaoru Chujo
Uchida Maaya
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
That's an interesting slang, actually. A few years ago, 'bought the farm' was used in a certain sci-fi TV series. On the show's official forums, several people wrote that they'd never heard the phrase before, which came as a surprise to others.
I think I first read it in an old sci-fi novel by Robert A. Heinlein. I think it may have come from the US military in the 1940s or 1950s, the idea being that soldiers said when they left the army they were going to buy a farm, so when a soldier was killed, people said he had "bought the farm." Another explanation is that a soldier's death benefits would buy his family a farm. There are several theories.

It's always hard to know how slangy to get in these forums, especially since there are many people here for whom English is a second (or third, or fourth) language and who do not live immersed in American (or British, or Canadian, or Australian) culture.
__________________
Uchida Maaya 内田真礼 2010 (3 roles). 2011 (7 roles) Mari (Yuruyuri), Alluka Zoldyk (HxH). 2012 (19 roles) Izumi (Space Pirates), Sanka Rea, Aoi (Akibaranger),Yuu (NakaImo), Rikka (Chuunibyou); 2013 (17) Mii (Ai Mai Mii), Mao (GJ Club), Rei (Vividred), Wakana (Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live), Hajime (Gatchaman), Koganuma (Outbreak Co.). 2014 (26) Futaba (Aoha Ride), Hiyori (Noragami), Sharo (Did You Order Rabbit?), Haruka (Rail Wars). 2015 (15) Ranko (Idolm@ster Cinderella), Haruka (World Break), Ririruka Ahde (Dungeon), Miyabi (Yamada-kun Witches).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime schedule - previews
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 19:15   Link #445
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Keep in mind that not everyone is bound to know american slangs, so there is absolutely no reason to assume someone is joking when he says he doesn't understand a slang term.
I thought it was more well known than it apparently is. It's an old expression... from several decades ago, at least. Maybe it's the area I live in that makes me think it's more popular
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 19:19   Link #446
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Keep in mind that not everyone is bound to know american slangs, so there is absolutely no reason to assume someone is joking when he says he doesn't understand a slang term.
I say the Americans don't have a monopoly on that slang. Canadians use slangs too you know . That phrase is international. Really though, it's something I've heard before. Not really sure how commonly it's used but at least am familiar.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 20:26   Link #447
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC, Canada
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi Send a message via Skype™ to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I say the Americans don't have a monopoly on that slang. Canadians use slangs too you know . That phrase is international. Really though, it's something I've heard before. Not really sure how commonly it's used but at least am familiar.
I could get into my big list of hockey slang terms, but I'm sure, being a Leafs fan (CURSE YOU) you probably know...

As far as on-topic goes, just saw ep 4 today; I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks Renji and Chihiro's relationship is developing at a very awkward pace. I couldn't quite get over the "Kiss me" part, and how she reacted. On another note, I look forward to the day Hiro grows a spine and pushes Kei aside...
__________________
Seishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 20:31   Link #448
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishi View Post
I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks Renji and Chihiro's relationship is developing at a very awkward pace.
I can see why you'd say that, though thinking about it --- this is episode four out of twelve. Now and for the next few episodes is their time of happiness, before something with a lot of hardcore drama beings before them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishi View Post
I couldn't quite get over the "Kiss me" part, and how she reacted.
That was adorable. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishi View Post
On another note, I look forward to the day Hiro grows a spine and pushes Kei aside...
At the moment he's to busy playing the role of "i don't know what's going on/i don't understands her feelings" character.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 20:32   Link #449
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishi View Post
I could get into my big list of hockey slang terms, but I'm sure, being a Leafs fan (CURSE YOU) you probably know...

As far as on-topic goes, just saw ep 4 today; I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks Renji and Chihiro's relationship is developing at a very awkward pace. I couldn't quite get over the "Kiss me" part, and how she reacted. On another note, I look forward to the day Hiro grows a spine and pushes Kei aside...
Trust me don't need any curses. Team is doing bad enough on its own. , Actually that's pretty sad.

Was a bit surprised at the jump from her telling him about her condition, missing some days and then boom we're at him wanting a kiss. Seemed slightly accelerated to me. But Shiroth may have a point with only so many episodes they've got to get things moving along.

Well I'm not sure Hiro thought he needed to push Kei aside anyways. She is his friend and that's how he thought things were.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 21:01   Link #450
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Was a bit surprised at the jump from her telling him about her condition, missing some days and then boom we're at him wanting a kiss.
Remember that he still has his "white knight" role to play. Now that he's found the damsel in distress, he has to seal the deal to make sure she sticks around.
I have a feeling his little bit of acting out is going to spin around and bite him later on.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 21:17   Link #451
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Really liking this series after the first episode it's turn out better then expected while with that series Myself;Yourself which had an good interesting first episode has turn to out to be generic as hell. Goes to show you shouldn't judge the first episode of a series.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 21:39   Link #452
Kaoru Chujo
Uchida Maaya
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
...Was a bit surprised at the jump from her telling him about her condition, missing some days and then boom we're at him wanting a kiss. Seemed slightly accelerated to me....
Yes, it surprised me, too. But that scene was so wonderful that I wouldn't have it any other way. It shocked me as it would have shocked Chihiro -- in a nice way. Her reaction was so complex and beautiful.

As Sorrow-K said, there's some decent writing here: "Why does someone else know me better than I know myself?" I also liked the line, "That's something that lovers do," and also the whole thing around his being mean, and that she hates him...but doesn't hate him that much.

Were those lines in the game from minori, or were they written by the anime staff? Lead writer Takayama Katsuhiko did the adaptation of Hantsuki and edited KGnE. Besides being the chief writer for the series, he has been credited as the writer of every episode so far.
__________________
Uchida Maaya 内田真礼 2010 (3 roles). 2011 (7 roles) Mari (Yuruyuri), Alluka Zoldyk (HxH). 2012 (19 roles) Izumi (Space Pirates), Sanka Rea, Aoi (Akibaranger),Yuu (NakaImo), Rikka (Chuunibyou); 2013 (17) Mii (Ai Mai Mii), Mao (GJ Club), Rei (Vividred), Wakana (Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live), Hajime (Gatchaman), Koganuma (Outbreak Co.). 2014 (26) Futaba (Aoha Ride), Hiyori (Noragami), Sharo (Did You Order Rabbit?), Haruka (Rail Wars). 2015 (15) Ranko (Idolm@ster Cinderella), Haruka (World Break), Ririruka Ahde (Dungeon), Miyabi (Yamada-kun Witches).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime schedule - previews
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 21:42   Link #453
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Really liking this series after the first episode it's turn out better then expected while with that series Myself;Yourself which had an good interesting first episode has turn to out to be generic as hell. Goes to show you shouldn't judge the first episode of a series.
Exactly how I feel. Myself;Yourself started out with a bang but then went rapidly downhill after that. On the other hand this series is the complete opposite; started out slow but is quickly picking up more steam. And the amazing visuals help too... it's just beautiful.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 21:49   Link #454
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As Sorrow-K said, there's some decent writing here: "Why does someone else know me better than I know myself?" I also liked the line, "That's something that lovers do," and also the whole thing around his being mean, and that she hates him...but doesn't hate him that much.
Drama anime has this unfortunate knack of really underestimating the importance of good dialogue in drama, which is why we unfortunately have to look for really intelligent anime, like Gankutsuou, Kino's Journey, Honey & Clover and Full Metal Panic: TSR, for example, to find it in decent doses.

This anime has it in bits and pieces, maybe not in as great as doses as those anime, but it's there, so it deserves to be commended for that.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 22:40   Link #455
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Were those lines in the game from minori, or were they written by the anime staff?
Actually, this is the first time anyone has experienced the Renji/Chihiro scenario. We won't know until minori releases the second half of ef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWarrior
Exactly how I feel. Myself;Yourself started out with a bang but then went rapidly downhill after that.
IMO, Myself;Yourself was never fantastic to begin with. However, it's definitely gone downhill through episodes 4 and 5 (both unfocused and awkwardly written).

A possible issue may be the way they've approached scenario. Regista's producer/director (not involved with the anime) mentioned that only the beginning of the series would follow the game closely, with the two stories diverging drastically after that. Consequently, the anime writers are doing a lot on their own.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 22:57   Link #456
HeeroX
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I don't understand why they used slang terms. But it doesn't matter for me, I always watch raws.

As for Ef, I'm loving this, definitely one of my favorites from this season. I just re-watched it, again, the 4 first eps. The music, the art, the story are so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
IMO, Myself;Yourself was never fantastic to begin with. However, it's definitely gone downhill through episodes 4 and 5 (both unfocused and awkwardly written).
This is exactly what I thought, nothing spectacular, and it really went downhill.
HeeroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 01:37   Link #457
shouri
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to shouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeroX View Post
As for Ef, I'm loving this, definitely one of my favorites from this season. I just re-watched it, again, the 4 first eps. The music, the art, the story are so good.
I agree completely.

Loving Ef so far, especially the Renji/Chihiro relationship.
shouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 09:10   Link #458
patnam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
After watching 4 episodes, it seems to be nice. Although it only mention about "Hiro/Miyako", "Kyosuke/Kei" and "Renji/Chihiro" relationships. How about Shuichi/Mizuki and of course the true main characters "Yu/Yuko"? Hope there will be a sequel of this anime.
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 10:32   Link #459
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
true main characters ? As far as the anime goes, they are barely more than background characters The 'true main characters' are Miyako, Kei, Chihiro, Renji and Hiro. And i am looking towards the resolutions this anime is going to offer. We should be in for some nice catfight ? (though i have little doubts Miyako will come out on top)
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 13:55   Link #460
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
of course the true main characters "Yu/Yuko"?
Yu and Yuko only serve to tie the stories together, although we'll still see some kind of conclusion for them at the end.

The main characters are Hiro, Miyako, Kyosuke, Kei, Renji, Chihiro, Shuichi, and Mizuki (whose stories make up the main four chapters of ef).
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.