AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-13, 01:13   Link #1121
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoot View Post
I'm referring to the line that got a pre-OP repeat in ep 6 for emphasis: "anata no sonzai wo keshite miseru". The implications were lost in translation for me: the translation didn't make the implication that the original line did.
It's intentional as the Japanese does, since you would see the context in the episode later, otherwise I'm not sure what "implication" you're talking about.
Old 2007-12-13, 02:01   Link #1122
zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
It's intentional as the Japanese does, since you would see the context in the episode later, otherwise I'm not sure what "implication" you're talking about.
I can make the connection between the original line and what happens later. I couldn't make it from the "wipe you out" translation of the same line. It's a typical "lost in translation". The Nuke translation is literal (almost the same as mine): "I'll erase your existence", which works better here.

(I don't think I can be any clearer, so if you still don't know what I mean, then never mind. :)

(Awesome. The post of ep 10 on C-M's website has a spoiler in the post itself.)
zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 02:41   Link #1123
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Ah.

Since the full sentence is "Onii-chan no kokoro kara, anata no sonzai wo keshite miseru" and I put it as "I will wipe you out from Onii-chan's heart", that's why (as for why I used "wipe out" instead of the common "erase" there, 'cause I thought it would sound more impactful). I still don't see the problem though, either way they omitted the major subject in the sentence before the opening song, so you wouldn't get the full implication behind it till you see the episode. Am I the only one who thinks that you're nitpicking?

As for the "spoiler", I didn't really say who ended up with who there now, did I?
Old 2007-12-13, 03:01   Link #1124
zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that you're nitpicking?
If it's a nitpick, it's one of the most important lines in the show--it should be nitpicked.
zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 04:03   Link #1125
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As promised, here are some images from the first DVD that just arrived for me today.

First off, the DVD box itself, which is designed to hold all 6 super jewel cases for the series. The texture of the box made it hard to get a really good scan, though...
Spoiler for DVD Box (for full effect, make your browser window wider...):

Here are the covers for the standard 4-sided insert (I was too lazy to remove the fold-line, though... ) and the special 12-page booklet (which features, among other things, an interview with the main writer). They also included a card (playing card size) will the illustration featured in the preview at the end of episode 1.
Spoiler for Insert Cover spread, Booklet cover & Card:

Inside the box, they have a "filler box" to fill the space that the next 5 super jewel cases will eventually fill. The design of that is sort of fun, though, and it features the full illustrations featured on the main box cover.
Spoiler for Filler Box Designs:

As I mentioned previously, the Limited Edition also includes the Calendar pages for May and June, so here they are...
Spoiler for Calendar Pages:

Another cool thing that they included is actually a 32-page manga "Blue Blue Sky" by "Nagi Shindou" (Hiro's pen name). I think it may be the one you see him drawing at a few points in the show... either that or it's the one featured on the latest drama CD -- not sure.
Spoiler for Cover of Hiro's manga:
In addition to all the above, the LE DVD1 also includes a Desktop Accessories CD featuring an ef screensaver and desktop backgrounds of the three illustrations used in the "normal ED".

The DVD itself includes the first two episodes of the show, of course (no on-disc extras this time). I didn't notice any changes from the TV broadcast, but I will say that the encode looks absolutely pristine; perfect sharpness, barely a single artifact or anything. Only during the main theme (at the end of episode 2) do you see the slightest bit of artifacting, but I imagine that's more due to the limitations of DVDs themselves (just not enough bandwidth to deal with all those details).

So anyway, as you can see, lots of goodies and a solid DVD to boot (well, what you would hope for and expect, given the price). I'm looking forward to collecting the rest of the show.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 04:52   Link #1126
tabun
rawr!

Just finished episode 10, and it is again beyond any expectations. The two scenes each devoted to either girl and Hirono were both dramatic and moving, and as once again the conversation is done without facing each other directly, the dialogue itself becomes even more meaningful. Also, two of the rare occasions that I have to wipe a tear myself - well done!

As the arc of the "love triangle" seems to be in general concluded by now, I am really looking forward to the last two episodes and thus the conclusion of the Chihiro arc.

Cheers

P.S. With this episode, the show scored top 5 with me ;D
Old 2007-12-13, 07:27   Link #1127
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

That had to be one of the best melodramatic episodes of anime, or anything on TV, that I've ever seen.

The musical direction is just ridiculously good. If I say so myself, the OST is probably one of the strongest this year right besides Heroic Age and Sketchbook.

Miyako basically saved her whole persona and came around to changing her life right after Hirono did. So she DID have the courage after all, and she DID know she was hurting Kei.

Also, what's the deal with Miyako not having a phone? Was she a homeless?
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 07:40   Link #1128
Doppel

SuperKnuckles: she threw her cellphone into the fountain, and it also appear she spends very little time in her own residence, coupled with the fact that she has no friends I'd say she definitely doesn't have a home phone

Anyone else also catch that
Miyako runs from all of her problems never binding herself to anything.
Hiro binds himself to everything and refuses to abandon any of them, but at the same time refuses to confront them when needed.
Kyosuke confronts everything head-on without any hesitation, he stopped with his film club and his old girlfriend soon after he realized something was wrong.

Builds a really interesting dynamic, although I'm lacking the capability to fully describe how Kei treats her problems right now.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 07:53   Link #1129
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

There are so many dynamics, it's mindboggling.

Miyako understanding everything and acting on her philosophy of being alone,

Hirono not fully understanding his own situation and acting on emotion of wanting to hold on to everything,

Kyosuke running around filming things, observing and not taking action (until that latest ep that is),

Kei being earnest but not knowing where she's running to,

Chihiro being literally encaged by her own views of her illness,

Renji living vicariously through Chihiro,

etc etc.

At first, many people said ef was 'generic' or had 'archetypal characters'. I was one of them. I regret saying that sooooooo much.
Old 2007-12-13, 08:05   Link #1130
Doppel

I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking EF characters are generic and stereotypical when they just start watching. Heck my friend was literally bored to the point where he stopped watching the show completely. I've been gripped since the first 10 minutes of the first episode.

The way they act on the surface and their "outward" personalities really are generic, but I think part of the reason I like this show so much is that they dig past the surface and reveal how they really behave and think internally, to create a neat dynamic between how they feel and how they act. They seem to do the "digging" especially well in this show. (Although technically speaking, Chihiro is digging and we're just watching her dig HA)
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 08:07   Link #1131
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yes. This show is definitely one of those shows where you go "you dropped it in the first episode? So you know nothing about the show" and you'd be FACTUALLY correct. You can't judge this show on a few earlier eps.

I loved it from ep 1 too, BTW. SHAFT is becoming my favorite studio before my eyes.
Old 2007-12-13, 09:18   Link #1132
Liingo
Love Hina?

So 1 down. 2 to go.

Although it's debatable whether Kei and Kyousuke will end up as a couple at this point.

Else we'll see the start of a relationship between the 2, without going into any of the trials and tribulations. Judging just by the story that's been developed for the other two pairings, at least 3 or 4 episodes are necessary to fully develop the relationship between them, if not more. It is possible that they'll leave it open as a ploy to get us to buy the game though.. Either that or a second season.. but what would they fill the rest of it up with? Explaning the nun and the other's can only go so far.

Another great episode. Closure to be had by all and Kei can finally get moving in her life again, after following Hiro for so many years. The confession between the two was really well done. The background music was great as always, to be expected from Tenmon. Can't wait for the OST to come out. The conversation between Miya and Hiro was done nicely as well. The constantly beeping countdown was annoying though. Good thing it stopped when the conversation breaks out fully between the two.

Next episode looks to be all Renji and Chihiro so that should be good.

Oh and thanks for the scans relentless XD.
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 10:17   Link #1133
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Another great episode. Closure to be had by all and Kei can finally get moving in her life again, after following Hiro for so many years. The confession between the two was really well done. The background music was great as always, to be expected from Tenmon. Can't wait for the OST to come out. The conversation between Miya and Hiro was done nicely as well. The constantly beeping countdown was annoying though. Good thing it stopped when the conversation breaks out fully between the two.
I have to agree in all points...
Ok I don't think that the countdown was that annoying... a bit irritating at first but still ok.

Lets see how (or if) they will end Renji's and Chihiro's story next
Old 2007-12-13, 10:42   Link #1134
ZODDGUTS

ef was 9th in the top ten DVD sells in Japan during Dec 5-11

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ecember-5-11/2

Good to see it doing well.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 13:20   Link #1135
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Damn just got to episode 10 and it really was a big episode in dealing with the triangle and finally settling things. Had to cut Renji and Chihiro from this one, but they did go out and handle things in terms of the relationships and the lives of those who now have to walk forward.

I'm sure Hiro's face may have preferred Kyosuke finding a less violent way to get his point across . Damn took a few shots that's for sure, just to have the other guys point get across. Since he just didn't know that Kei felt that way be hard to settle things earlier. But of course after hearing the information Hayama as well it couldn't be ignored.

At least he finally made the call where the career/school split existed. Doing both would just be something that was going to keep hurting him. Not certain how much in terms of notes they have to write in class but it can't help. Guy just went out and settled everything at once.

Though the biggest hit came with Kei. Everything was finally put out into the open. It wouldn't be easy to resolve that side of the triangle, but you can't just leave it in limbo. Painful for both to have things go that way, but they can both survive it. Having the talk about that manga they all read earlier was pretty interesting itself. Back then he took the side of the girl who got dumped in it, but in this he has to be the one leaving the girl.

I'll admit the early beeping was kind of annoying. Just glad when the music got risen with the emotions that faded and you could really be absorbed in it. Time running out as they finally got to what was important and you could really feel the stress of hoping they'd make it.

Props to Hiro for carrying on a conversation while checking every public phone he could. Busy times . Things finally ended and in a nice way for them. Miyako can put the pains of what happened in the past and start to recover from that trauma. I'm just happy for the both of them. Of course they couldn't help but tossing in the concept of colour back into it one more time. The heroic return of Hiro bringing back Miyako's colour.

Scans were excellent relentless, also must give thanks there.
Old 2007-12-13, 15:17   Link #1136
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Wow. Ep 10 unbelievable, I can't express how I felt while watching it, I loved the rare feeling I got while watching the 100 countdown. This show is going up top with my favorites if they don't mess up with the last 2 episodes. again wow was not expecting this so soon I was purely in awe the entire episode. The 100 second scene and the Miyako voice mail scenes are just something I feel only this show can pull off and affect me like that. Can't help but be repetitive on this one wow...

Looking forward to next weeks my heart is still pounding relentlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
SuperKnuckles: she threw her cellphone into the fountain, and it also appear she spends very little time in her own residence, coupled with the fact that she has no friends I'd say she definitely doesn't have a home phone

Anyone else also catch that
Miyako runs from all of her problems never binding herself to anything.
Hiro binds himself to everything and refuses to abandon any of them, but at the same time refuses to confront them when needed.
Kyosuke confronts everything head-on without any hesitation, he stopped with his film club and his old girlfriend soon after he realized something was wrong.

Builds a really interesting dynamic, although I'm lacking the capability to fully describe how Kei treats her problems right now.
That's some observation thanks for pointing it out, Now theres no way I'm going to be able to stop thinking about this show tonight.
Old 2007-12-13, 15:18   Link #1137
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@ relentlessflame ~ wow awesome stuff! Hiro's manga look cool (dam these incentives to buy - otakus have such a hard life )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 15:28   Link #1138
taelrak

Anyone else get reminded of Ichigo 100%'s scene with Aya and Manaka during the Kei/Hiro scene?
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 15:32   Link #1139
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
Episode 10 is what anime should be all about: Beautiful animation, fantastic music, deep characters, creative symbolism and more originality than you can shake a stick at.

This is just my view, of course, but Ef is EASILY in my top ten favorite anime by now.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that the whole thing going on between Hiro, Miyako and Kei has not interested me as much as Chihiro and Renji's storyline has. I watched the timer for how long episode 10 was, and somewhere around the scene between Kei and Hiro, realized that Chihiro and Renji weren't going to be making an appearance in this eppy. It was odd to realize I wanted to feel disappointed by this and couldn't be, just because those scenes between Kei and Hiro and Miyako and Hiro... Those just kept me enthralled.

I was so insanely impatient for this episode. I've been checking to see if it's come out yet about every fifteen minutes for the past two days, and I finally started downloading it this morning. I realized as I came home from school that I was very likely to be disappointed. Let's face it, what in this world usually satisfies built up anticipation? In my experience, not much.

Except apparently Ef. That just blew me away. Anyone know when the soundtrack is coming out?

...Not philosopical questions - Just what I have to remind myself every time I walk into a room..
Azure22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 16:13   Link #1140
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure22 View Post
Anyone know when the soundtrack is coming out?
February.

I know, the wait is painful.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2007-12-13 at 16:59.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft