AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 00:44   Link #1661
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

there are 3 songs that were stellar on the ef ost. there were also some incredibly terrible ones too. overall, the byousoku ost was of high quality, but the ef ost had a few songs that were better than the ones presented in byousoku.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 02:36   Link #1662
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

@qtipbrit:

Quote:
I remember that in episode 8 (or something), she was able to remember certain details about the castle from before they had built it (which was part of the reason Renji had taken to Yu that shy might have been regaining her memory), and in episode 9, he notices that the castle was still up after talking to Chihiro about her different "personalities" from day to day after the memory incident and says "Why? Why are you still here?"
First of all thanks for recommending this; I loved it lots Too bad that Chihiro didn't make it past the Saimoe nomination stage; I guess there are prejudices against girls with eye-patches

My memory doesn't serve me too well as I marathoned it and it swarmed me But I'll give it a try: Didn't that sand-castle scene come right after she had said that the previous Chihiro was just as gone as her memory was of the previous day? And so when Renji comes across it he's like thinking well if "you" (the sandcastle) are still here, despite "your" (Chihiro's) memory of it now is gone, then why are "you" (both the castle and Chihiro) still here? "WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?"

I think several interpretations might occur to deep-thinkers, but unfortunately they don't translate well when typed or even spoken... sometimes it's ridiculous to translate the sublime

Loved the transposition of the sheep-eating-the-grass story over the oft-shown symbological portrayal of her bound inside the circle of her Life, where her farthest reach could only go 13 hours outside it...

Just an awesome series; I don't know why I allowed the cynical naysayers to influence me away from it all this time *smacks forehead* I should know better than to allow cretins any consideration of their biases

Also, people seem to put down Studio Shaft for some reason (fannish peer-shit, no doubt), but between ef and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensai/Zoku SZS they've done some pretty interesting work. Some of it comes off as almost art-school over-fanciness, but overall their recent stuff is courageous and innovative. At least they're doing something different

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2008-04-17 at 02:41. Reason: wrong smilie or two; clarification needed elsewhere
Ahasuerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 05:15   Link #1663
Sammich
Crazy Quoting Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
My memory doesn't serve me too well as I marathoned it and it swarmed me But I'll give it a try: Didn't that sand-castle scene come right after she had said that the previous Chihiro was just as gone as her memory was of the previous day? And so when Renji comes across it he's like thinking well if "you" (the sandcastle) are still here, despite "your" (Chihiro's) memory of it now is gone, then why are "you" (both the castle and Chihiro) still here? "WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?"
*Agrees* After rewatching the whole series recently I finally got that the sandcastle is a contrast to Chihiro's memories. Her memories fade and are only 'retained' if she thinks of them constantly while the sandcastle, which could have easily been destroyed keeps staying relatively in one piece.
Old 2008-04-18, 00:08   Link #1664
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Just finished watching... The story is wonderful and the music choices were really good too, specially the OP (the musical one) . Also the artistic part was amazing too with all those "cuts" and symbolic images.
Now something about the main characters:
Both Hiro and Renji really got to my nerves till almost the end... Between Hiro's "half ass way of doing things" and Renji backing up every time Chihiro tries to move closer... i really wanted to slap them >.< But the ending was very satisfying and since they did the right things at the end i forgive them xD
I was really happy when Hiro and Miyako finally got together and the part when they are talking on the phone with the timer running is the #1 (top one) from all the romance animes i watched. Another part that really impressed me (in the creepy way) was when Miyako left all those messages while waiting for Hiro.

Btw, there is one thing that im not very sure about yet.. Chihiro's memory problem is "cured" at the end right? I mean the chains breaking and the wings meant that he memories from the last day were back and her disability was cured?
And what about those 2 from the church? Are they supposed to be in the same situation as Chihiro and Renji?

Well that's all... hope to see more opinions
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 02:57   Link #1665
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
I was really happy when Hiro and Miyako finally got together and the part when they are talking on the phone with the timer running is the #1 (top one) from all the romance animes i watched. Another part that really impressed me (in the creepy way) was when Miyako left all those messages while waiting for Hiro.
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot these scenes! Those two were so gripping I almost couldn't stand it; the way the screen filled up with all those text messages and then the second where the timer ticked down. Both of them classics I really liked the way they didn't "shortcut" their way out of presenting those scenes; they kept on going, and getting ever more intense as the scene piled up on itself. Awesome!

Quote:
Btw, there is one thing that im not very sure about yet.. Chihiro's memory problem is "cured" at the end right? I mean the chains breaking and the wings meant that he memories from the last day were back and her disability was cured?
I'd have to see it again to recall what I interpreted it as, but I think I felt that she was freed from her binding reality; whether her memory affliction was completely overcome... I dunno. I marathoned it and was totally mindblown by the end I like to watch an anime several times before coming to concrete decisions, and let myself be awash in the experience without having to analyze it on the spot.

Quote:
And what about those 2 from the church? Are they supposed to be in the same situation as Chihiro and Renji?
I really shouldn't be trying to explain anything since this thread has so many experts But here's something from the Game's prologue (via Wiki) that explains about Yu and Yuko:

Spoiler for Yuko and Yu:

Since the Wiki was tricky to find, here's the link; it's mostly game-related though there's anime material as well: Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two
Old 2008-04-18, 03:28   Link #1666
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
First of all thanks for recommending this; I loved it lots Too bad that Chihiro didn't make it past the Saimoe nomination stage; I guess there are prejudices against girls with eye-patches
Apparently, not when the eye patch is on Aya Hirano.
Now that I think of it, where did I see that picture?

Oh well. But it was a picture in a thread that was related to ef and Chihiro in some way and people were discussing her eyepatch and there were some mixed opinions as to whether or not it was attractive and this is a run-on sentence and then someone posted a picture of Aya Hirano in an eyepatch and it was unanimous approval. Done.
Quote:
That's what I was leaning towards the most too. Now that I look over it again, it was the scene I remembered with the book's (more books! Yay!) turning pages of Chihiro with the hue of her portrait changing for each turn of the page (this one's more obvious.)

Quote:
I think several interpretations might occur to deep-thinkers, but unfortunately they don't translate well when typed or even spoken... sometimes it's ridiculous to translate the sublime
True, and well said.
Quote:
Loved the transposition of the sheep-eating-the-grass story over the oft-shown symbological portrayal of her bound inside the circle of her Life, where her farthest reach could only go 13 hours outside it...
Yes, and though the sheep eventually died, Chihiro pointed out that it had a chance of living both in theory and demonstration.
Go Chihiro!
Quote:
Just an awesome series; I don't know why I allowed the cynical naysayers to influence me away from it all this time *smacks forehead* I should know better than to allow cretins any consideration of their biases
As another source whom I can't recall at this time once said "people's taste in anime generally suck" (or something to that effect.) so you shouldn't listen to what people say about any anime being bad!
Except that ef isn't really something like Serial Experiments LAIN that you don't rent for your kid when he's 11. (definately not a personal story. )
Even on a superficial level, it's a well-written and unique romance/drama visual novel adaptation that has been compared to Key-Kyoto anime.
Quote:
Also, people seem to put down Studio Shaft for some reason (fannish peer-shit, no doubt), but between ef and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensai/Zoku SZS they've done some pretty interesting work. Some of it comes off as almost art-school over-fanciness, but overall their recent stuff is courageous and innovative. At least they're doing something different
It's mostly because of their unique animation style not touched upon by other studios. Though I haven't seen Negima!?, I'm told that it made Sayonara Zetubou Sensei's style look almost normal.
I personally think it's fun and usual, and unusual usually means it's unusually different from the usual.
I've heard a lot about how people dropped ef early on because of its being "SHAFTed" in regards to the animation as well. It makes me pretty sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Just finished watching... The story is wonderful and the music choices were really good too, specially the OP (the musical one) . Also the artistic part was amazing too with all those "cuts" and symbolic images.
Now something about the main characters:
Yes, great production values overall. Animation was generally excellent, fluid, and eye-catching, and the music was Tenmon.
Quote:
Both Hiro and Renji really got to my nerves till almost the end... Between Hiro's "half ass way of doing things" and Renji backing up every time Chihiro tries to move closer... i really wanted to slap them >.< But the ending was very satisfying and since they did the right things at the end i forgive them xD
Their indecisiveness was actually a large part of the story. Hiro couldn't decide until the end where he would place his priorities (school vs. work, Kei vs. Miyako) One of each were part of his past and present, while the other represented his most viable path to his future.
In Renji's case, he hadn't been able to decide on his goals or future from the beginning (the work survey.), and it was Chihiro that finally motivated him to move forward in writing and eventually other aspects of his life and relationships.
Also, a bit of indecisiveness is always needed to extend an anime series long enough for a full season, else it would take up maybe an episode or two.
Quote:
Yes, they were both very original and unique scenes, though it was a bit of experimenting on SHAFT's part. However, they both were surprising, as one wouldn't expect to feel that way when watching words (in a language a good deal of us don't understand) slowly covering a white screen or when reading subtitles while the art alternates between a countdown from 100 and a phone booth in a thought-provoking place.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's up to the viewer's interpretation. As Yu said, "Present day medicine can't make Chihiro better. Even if a miracle occurs and her illness is cured, her lost memories will never come back. Besides, miracles don't exist in this world."
It could be possible. A "miracle" like that could be used to contradict what Yu had been saying before, and it would be more viable considering Chihiro had though about Renji for the past thirteen hours, meaning she would not forgotten him, allowing her to remember him. I personally think it's more representative of breaking psychological and emotional barriers, learning to believe in herself and open herself to others, as Renji had taught her to do through his actions earlier in the series.
Quote:
Yu and Yuko (she looks like Matsuri.) are important figures central to ef's progression, though their own stories are not revealed in the anime. From what is revealed in the anime and the opening sequences of the two games, I still know very little of Yu and Yuko, but am still amazed by Makoto Shinkai's work.
Long post is looong.
Old 2008-04-18, 13:23   Link #1667
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Yes, they were both very original and unique scenes, though it was a bit of experimenting on SHAFT's part. However, they both were surprising, as one wouldn't expect to feel that way when watching words (in a language a good deal of us don't understand) slowly covering a white screen or when reading subtitles while the art alternates between a countdown from 100 and a phone booth in a thought-provoking place.
Creepy words on a blank shit of paper always freaked me out Another scene that i remember is the one from Myself; Yourself when Sana finds the letter with all those red "HELP ME" in the secret mailbox. But this one was even worse since it lasted more than usual and it got creepier ever second >.<
And about the countdown scene... it felt like a rollercoster of feelings and emotions for 100 seconds. They did a really good job with the script and the music was perfectly timed. I felt like there were 3 parts: first Miyako starts with her usual worries of being forgoten and left alone, then at 47´Hiro takes control and finally shows his determination and finally the climax, when they both are about to confess but the phonecard dies.. and then... "I love you"

Another part that got my attention was when Renji starts panicking at the beach when Chihiro wants him to kiss her. The part where u can see Renji's shadow moving randomly with a red font (like a curtain).
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 13:27   Link #1668
Westlo
Lets be reality

The voice acting by Miyako and Hiro's VAs was great for the 100 part.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 02:41   Link #1669
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Holy crap. I just watched the new ef- the latter tale game OP and it was AMAZING to say the least.

Apparently it'll start to go into the reasoning behind Yuko (that angelic girl) in the first series.

Now it whet my appetite for a second ef season. I can only hope. Get to it, Shaft!
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 02:47   Link #1670
Jaka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Holy crap. I just watched the new ef- the latter tale game OP and it was AMAZING to say the least.

Apparently it'll start to go into the reasoning behind Yuko (that angelic girl) in the first series.

Now it whet my appetite for a second ef season. I can only hope. Get to it, Shaft!
A bit late... but still, EF = AMAZING.

I'm going to buy the latter tale =w=
Jaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 03:02   Link #1671
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm just really excited that the 'sequel' will probably be a sort of a prequel tie-in that'll probably solve the reason why Yuko keeps trying to help other protagonists so much. Because that was the one part that was never adequately explained. If this is really the final story arc of ef, then I wish Minori and Shaft gives us another dosage of great romantic drama in the future. It's coming close to the anticipation I tend to save for Key/Kyoto Animation.
Old 2008-04-26, 04:18   Link #1672
ZODDGUTS

The DVD sales for this series has done very well, so financially wise it would make sense for them to make a 2nd season if they ever considered it but were waiting to see how well it sold.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 09:28   Link #1673
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
The DVD sales for this series has done very well, so financially wise it would make sense for them to make a 2nd season if they ever considered it but were waiting to see how well it sold.
Well, actually, the DVD sales are pretty middling, I guess, at around 4,000 copies per disc. "Very well" probably would have been double that or more. That being said, independant of the sales argument, and maybe this is close-minded thinking, I'm not sure how easy it would be for lightning to strike twice if they attempted a sequel. It just feels like a completed work as is. But hey, if they did decide to attempt it, I'd certainly buy, anyway.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:54   Link #1674
ZODDGUTS

Eh I'm going by the Top ten DVD sold weekly they put up on animenewsnetwork which they get from oricon website. Each DVD volume of the series has made it in the top ten DVD sold in it's entry. At least it sold well unlike Kimikiss can't blame them for not buying it heh and True Tears.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 11:13   Link #1675
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Eh I'm going by the Top ten DVD sold weekly they put up on animenewsnetwork which they get from oricon website. Each DVD volume of the series has made it in the top ten DVD sold in it's entry. At least it sold well unlike Kimikiss can't blame them for not buying it heh and True Tears.
Well, it didn't sell that much better than true tears (maybe 1,000 more on average, based on DVD 1 sales?)... The reason it appears in the top 10 is because they're selling in a light week where very few anime are released. 75%+ of all anime DVDs get released in the last week of the month, so those sold in the other weeks will be much more likely to appear in the top 10 for that week. A monthly top-10 would be a lot more useful.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 13:24   Link #1676
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

i wasn't actually a big fan of the op of the latter tale. the staircase part was cool, but the song was underwhelming.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 15:29   Link #1677
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post

Yeah, the latter tale's op was simply amazing. The song wasn't quite as "wowing", but the animation far surpassed that of the first tale's, even the rooftop scene.

The opening animation of the op (after the Matsuri Yuuko section) was pure "wow", with the raindrops and short Tenmon piece.
Old 2008-04-26, 23:11   Link #1678
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Anyone know if they ever released the piano track that plays during the next episode previews?

nvm, found it

Last edited by tun; 2008-04-26 at 23:25.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 13:12   Link #1679
alimpiiskiymishka

Exclamation

alimpiiskiymishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 01:13   Link #1680
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I knew ef would make for great AMVs. Surprised there aren't many more.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft