AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2007-10-24, 03:02   Link #301
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oops, my bad... was writing DC 2 when I meant Kimikiss :P
... someone was talking about how Kimikiss was getting more *ch forum posting fireworks than Clannad. I just opined that it was because Clannad has a more ?mellow? beginning whereas Kimikiss started right off breaking away somewhat from formulaic eroge story structure.
Sorry about the brain fart.

Of course, DC 2 is also deviating from the formulaic pattern in its own way as is Kimikiss (at least at the start up).
Old 2007-10-24, 03:23   Link #302
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oops, my bad... was writing DC 2 when I meant Kimikiss :P
... someone was talking about how Kimikiss was getting more *ch forum posting fireworks than Clannad. I just opined that it was because Clannad has a more ?mellow? beginning whereas Kimikiss started right off breaking away somewhat from formulaic eroge story structure.
Sorry about the brain fart.

Of course, DC 2 is also deviating from the formulaic pattern in its own way as is Kimikiss (at least at the start up).
KimiKiss is very popular in Japan to begin with, so to begin with, KimiKiss and Clannad had the same footing. Well, Clannad more so due to Kyoto Animation, but that all goes down the drain once the shows starts anyway. Kyoto Animation has nothing to deserve worthwhile mentions in sakuga threads in 2ch after all. (( I don't see much there ))

Case in point, Kanon's mellow, natural start didn't detract its amount of post in 2ch, which was very strong.

KimiKiss just had the pleasure of getting more anti-post from 2ch due to it's controversial liberties. But even then, I believe it does not even take account the KimiKiss anti-threads. On the other hand, the only real negativities Clannad would get is probably the pace of the adaption, and Nagisa and Kyou's voice difference from the game. (( Nagisa sounded more airy and mellow, while Kyou's tone too was different. ))

And KimiKiss is not an eroge story structure. It's re'nai, and frankly, story-wise is PAPER thin.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 03:32   Link #303
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So... is Kimikiss the *visual novel* a re'nai? I'll certainly admit being totally unfamiliar with it outside of the anime I've seen so far. I was unaware that it was as popular as Clannad.

I really wasn't talking about whether either anime was "better or worse" ... just that one had started out more controversially than the other and that was what was generating the post counts... just as you say. I guess I'm agreeing with you, though you phrased it more clearly.
Old 2007-10-24, 06:07   Link #304
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'd imagine Kimikiss is probably as talked about as Clannad because the game is a lot newer (I'm guessing, haven't bothered researching).

Ep 2

That felt more like an introduction than the first ep. I wasn't quite as super-excited about this ep as I was about the first, but, as Deathkillz points out, the pacing remains on track, and all of the important characters have gotten equal screentime, which is good. The relationships have become a little more obvious, and I actually hope they stay like that, and they can spend most of their time analyzing the characters and the bonds between them, rather than making convoluted love triangles or rectangles or whatever, which have become such a cliche in romance anime (almost on par with the harem). But the fact that there are multiple relationships and they're all rather varied should work well, I'd think.

Kai's shell cracked a little too easily for my liking. I thought the idea of anti-social behaviour because of a dislike of the popular subject of discussion was a good one, but they trivialized it a bit when he went from "don't talk to me" to "OMG I'll be your friend" in the course of a single conversation. Eriko continues to be the most complex and enigmatic character, though. I'm extremely curious in finding out what makes her tick.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 07:24   Link #305
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
The situation is very different on Japan's huge 2ch forums.

As of the date and time of this post...

On 2ch's current anime board, Myself; Yourself is only on its 10th main thread. On the other hand, KimiKiss pure rouge is on its 51st main thread, and will soon surpass - if it has not already done so - CLANNAD, which is also on its 51st main thread.

Each completed 2ch thread consists of 1,000 responses.

Excluding Gundam 00 (which is also being heavily discussed on 2ch's New Char board), KimiKiss pure rouge appears to be the most discussed of the new Fall 2007 anime series at 2ch, at least on 2ch's current anime board.

Three anime series have their own boards at 2ch: Cardcaptor Sakura, Evangelion, and Gundam (two of them, New Char and Old Char {"Classic" Gundam}).

Not surprisingly, the Cardcaptor Sakura board at 2ch is pretty much dead these days.

The New Char board at 2ch has generated thousands of threads devoted to Gundam SEED DESTINY alone.

there is hope for kimi yet
Old 2007-10-24, 11:00   Link #306
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Does anyone have the numbers for Kimikiss's ratings in Japan so far? I know its popular im just not sure how popular. Awaiting the next episode as many of us are speuclation still running rampant.
Old 2007-10-24, 17:59   Link #307
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
So episode 2, which didn't had quite the feel of ep 1, had
(A) Talking to (I) because he played saxaphone. The big secret was apparently that he didn't like to talk about exams. (A) telling (I) She wants lots of friends and fall in love (I) smiling

(II) didn't have a mysterious reason for the akward atmosphere with (B) they were just really shy. (B) was a bit jealous of (A) and (A) will do some training to make (II) cooler, but if (B) liked (II) for a year already there is nothing to change really, only it fits to make some drama between (II) and (A). Btw (A) remembered that (II) wanted to be a novelist

(C) is already finished with her boytoy (III) and (III) didn't have the courage to "slap" her out of her little world, which was dissapointing since he did had some courage in ep 1

(D) turned into an even more bigger kid and has a new girlfriend (E) the udon club president
Also (F) the police/moral girl character arrived and (G) III's soccer club team mate girl
As far as (IV) concerned he is talking big about having a girlfriend in some other school. Yeah right.

And that's about it for episode two.
So episode 3 had

[A] (winking mao) being friendly with [II] (shy main character guy) and [B] (shy girl) being a bit jealous of that but later she finds out that [A] is more like a big sister to the guys. And [II] and [B] have a Lamune frieking shy kinda love/talk thing going on.

[A] And [I] (big sax guy) are getting more closer together in a 2second meetup at the bar where [I] works in exchange for sax use and practice time. [A] Thinks that wonderfull and [I] is touched by those words

[III] didn't have the courage to ask [C] (iq 190) out to karaoke. She did however attend class (big shock!). [E] (pink frog owner) however also has a shy kinda love thing going on for III

Lots of winking, no new characters and only a couple of developments. Still a lot better than the loli filler ep4 of myself yourself
Old 2007-10-24, 20:24   Link #308
takumi2k4

Great episode, it was kinda awkward watching Kouichi ask Yuumi if he can talk to her more, but then again, anything along those lines whether your watching or not is awkward as hell. But thankfully, Kouichi at least has some balls to actually pull that off, with people around watching him.

Heh, Kai is almost exactly like one of my friends. He plays the Alto Sax, a damn good one at that, is crazily introverted, and will never talk unless someone else starts the conversation. It's pretty crazy as to how similar their personalities are, the only thing my friend lacks is someone like Mao-oneechan, lol.

Anyways...

It's still surprises me that only moments after Kimikiss' subs come out, I click and watch, whereas when Clannad's subs came out, it took me 2 days after to click and watch.

This show has really surprised me thus far on how it's still able to remain excellent without resorting to the traditional harem crapfests. Kimikiss has definitely become one of my favorites this season, heck, Kimikiss also is probably the sleeper hit anime of this season.

I showed the anime to a few of my friends, and their reaction to it was pretty funny. All of them said that the anime was really relatable, one said that some of it was like watching herself be in that situation all over again, another one said that he's in the same boat as Kouchi.

And that I think is why Kimikiss is a really good show, it seems like the anime was not intended for the otaku's to drool over Mao-neechan, instead, it seems like the anime was intended for us high schoolers or at least teens stuck in the same boat as them. Not sure how anime can inspire you as that seems to be a really foreign idea, but to me it seems like it is.

My anime blog: takumi2k4.animeblogger.net
The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!!
takumi2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 23:36   Link #309
Shadowfox79
High5 attack: Lose 5555HP

Send a message via AIM to Shadowfox79
I really do like this show, finally we get an ordinary slice-of-life/school-life/romance show. Also what I like is that it isn't one guy and many girls, its the story of 2 guys and 1 girl. All 3 of these characters have their own string of of relationships, including that the 3 of them are childhood friends. Though I find it funny that Kazuki is ahead of the lead male, Kouichi, with that kiss from the first episode.

Btw, just a fun note that I lol-ed at

In Episode 3, when the two frogs kissed and they were related to Romeo + Juliet, I laughed as they are doing this in front of Kazuki, because if you look at the voice actor for Kazuki, he voiced Romeo in "Romeo x Juliet" from Gonzo. I just find that funny.
Shadowfox79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 00:10   Link #310
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This has been a really solid series so far and pretty fun with the characters involved.

Mao strikes again getting Kouichi and Yuumi closer together. Really was cute watching her get annoyed about his progress while behind the book. Sometimes you just have to get in there and lay it out so they can't shy their ways out of it. Pretty significant development for them at the end. Considering their personalities agreeing to talk more during breaks and after class is pretty big stuff.

Kazuki just didn't have it together enough to talk with Futami. He's certainly in the stage where he's interested but can't pull hte courage together yet. Clearly he'll need his head on straight considering her personality it's not going to be smooth sailing. Of course from the preview we can tell Saki will be around with soccer practice getting involved. Should be a good episode though.
Old 2007-10-25, 00:31   Link #311
4Tran

I'm rather startled by how good Kimikiss is compared to this season's other shounen romances. And to think that I was originally going to give this show a pass (the title was a big turn-off) until I found out that J.C. Staff was producing it. I think that they were absolute geniuses to split the main character into multiple characters - doing so allows them to explore far more storylines without making the story seem as contrived as many other shows of this nature. As a bonus, we don't get the token friend syndrome that plagues all too many stories.

As for the show itself; the writing and dialogue has been refreshingly good so far. Sure the characters could be more original, but they've been quite entertaining and even intriguing. Heck, even the male characters are pretty good in this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Does anyone have the numbers for Kimikiss's ratings in Japan so far? I know its popular im just not sure how popular.
While Kimikiss is popular among the chans, it doesn't seem to have very good ratings - it wasn't on Sigel Clyne's list of the top-30 anime titles. Then again, it isn't exactly uncommon for this kind of show to have poor ratings.
Old 2007-10-25, 00:51   Link #312
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

this series definitely has the potential to be my fav harem along with tokimeki memorial

ep3 = win

My signature gallery
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 01:18   Link #313
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Thus far I'm still enjoying the series, hope it keeps up the quality from here on out.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 02:15   Link #314
Bondius
Busting in on girls.. O.O

Heh, this episode sure was better than the 2nd one, yet it won't compare to the 1st.
Spoiler for Episode 3:

Still looking forward to the next episode ... I'm a sucker for romance and things are starting to look up in this series. Don't disappoint me ...
Bondius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 02:18   Link #315
Siegel Clyne

TV Ratings for Anime Aired on Chiba TV Apparently Not Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Does anyone have the numbers for Kimikiss's ratings in Japan so far? I know its popular im just not sure how popular. Awaiting the next episode as many of us are speuclation still running rampant.

In the Kantou region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.), KimiKiss pure rouge airs on Chiba TV, a UHF television station. Television audience ratings appear not to be available for programs broadcasted on Chiba TV. Seemingly, not everyone in the Kantou region can even watch Chiba TV.

A Wikipedia article and the Anime News Network entry on Chiba TV list the many past and current anime shows it has aired.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2007-10-25 at 02:30.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 07:08   Link #316
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

While Kimikiss is popular among the chans, it doesn't seem to have very good ratings - it wasn't on Sigel Clyne's list of the top-30 anime titles. Then again, it isn't exactly uncommon for this kind of show to have poor ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
In the Kantou region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.), KimiKiss pure rouge airs on Chiba TV, a UHF television station. Television audience ratings appear not to be available for programs broadcasted on Chiba TV. Seemingly, not everyone in the Kantou region can even watch Chiba TV.

A Wikipedia article and the Anime News Network entry on Chiba TV list the many past and current anime shows it has aired.
Hey thanks guys that really helped I didnt even know that some people in the Kantou region cant watch Chiba TV. Thats a new one for me I asked a buddy of mine in Japan and he confirmed it.

Now episode 3 was not to bad it was better than episode 2 but episode 1 is still fresh in my mind. Still liking the series and im sure the drama will pick up after a couple more lighthearted episodes.
Old 2007-10-25, 07:37   Link #317
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 3

Cute. The Koichi-Hoshino relationship was always going to be the most straightforward, but could have also been the one that took the longest to get anywhere because of the shy nature of the characters, if it weren't for Mao to act as a catalyst. Nothing special in this ep, but no (major) complaints either. The story's going forward with good pace, and that's all I ask at this stage. Although, for a minor complaint, I do think Nana and Narumi are pretty much pointless...
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 07:44   Link #318
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Although, for a minor complaint, I do think Nana and Narumi are pretty much pointless...
I can agree with that. It's nice to see them so friendly together, though they're not really doing anything for the show. That makes sense when our focus is set on the romance side of the story.

It was nice to see that amount of Yuumi in episode three. I'm guessing i won't see that much for a while, though i can totally understand why. It looks like we're at the part of the story where we'll be seeing more time each episode spent on a certain realtionship pairing, then what we've seen before episode three. We can already tell from the preview what we'll be getting in episode four --- it'll be interesting to see that much Eriko.
Old 2007-10-25, 07:51   Link #319
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Me watching KimiKiss is not unlike a moth drawn to a flame. Everytime I see it, without a doubt it's great, and then I realize the situation and the beauty of the anime STINGS. XD

But meh, osana-najimi has been through and triumped over worse situations. So as always, hope till the end for MaoXKouichi! ^_^

But I honestly can't see this going on for 2 cours, especially since its so obvious the routes its going already. I mean, I can't see any conflict at all with the three couples, and so the staff should tread carefully if they're going in that direction for half a year. As they say, conflict drives drama...

As for the episode itself, darn it, they had to end the misconception Yuumi had about Mao and Kouichi. There goes one source of conflict, though my friends tell me I just wanted Yuumi to suffer from jealousy a bit longer. Which is true, but that shouldn't nullify my point though...

I mean, Kouichi is getting already more confident this episode (3). So yeah, by episode 12, Kouichi and Yuumi becomes steady, that I can see. But extending the time frame all the way to episode 24? That's stretching it too thin, IMO, and I feel they could've milked out more from the Yuumi jealous of Mao perspective if they are truly indeed going for 2 cours. But hey, this is the 'miracle' staff we're talking about. If it's anyone who can do it in 2 cours without loss in plot quality, it would be them, but of course, I still have major doubts.

Even I can see Kazuki getting his act together and get together with Eriko by the 12th or 13th episode, and he has less balls than Kouichi, lol. So I really do hope the show would only be airing for 1 season in order for the pacing not to suffer.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 08:08   Link #320
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Me watching KimiKiss is not unlike a moth drawn to a flame. Everytime I see it, without a doubt it's great, and then I realize the situation and the beauty of the anime STINGS. XD

But meh, osana-najimi has been through and triumped over worse situations. So as always, hope till the end for MaoXKouichi! ^_^

But I honestly can't see this going on for 2 cours, especially since its so obvious the routes its going already. I mean, I can't see any conflict at all with the three couples, and so the staff should tread carefully if they're going in that direction for half a year. As they say, conflict drives drama...

As for the episode itself, darn it, they had to end the misconception Yuumi had about Mao and Kouichi. There goes one source of conflict, though my friends tell me I just wanted Yuumi to suffer from jealousy a bit longer. Which is true, but that shouldn't nullify my point though...

I mean, Kouichi is getting already more confident this episode (3). So yeah, by episode 12, Kouichi and Yuumi becomes steady, that I can see. But extending the time frame all the way to episode 24? That's stretching it too thin, IMO, and I feel they could've milked out more from the Yuumi jealous of Mao perspective if they are truly indeed going for 2 cours. But hey, this is the 'miracle' staff we're talking about. If it's anyone who can do it in 2 cours without loss in plot quality, it would be them, but of course, I still have major doubts.

Even I can see Kazuki getting his act together and get together with Eriko by the 12th or 13th episode, and he has less balls than Kouichi, lol. So I really do hope the show would only be airing for 1 season in order for the pacing not to suffer.
Well maybe they together half way and the girls ends up nocked up?

ps; Not following this series yet, but maybe interested in the future.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, enterbrain, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, shounen