AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 30 19.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 36.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 53 33.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 9.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-06, 16:05   Link #61
SimplyEd
Claytard

On the matter of Galatea.

It's just a quirk in speech. She talks very slow and maybe it comes of as..uhh..strange perhaps. Where's the problem with that? If that's a part of her character then so be it. When you're observing a scene, very unemotional, and just plainly state the facts as they come, how would you talk in such a situation?

Yes, she is depicted as detached and uninvolved for the most part. And that's that. A cold, clear to the point type of speech is just as natural as an emotion-pumped one.
Well, that's just my 2 cents on that matter.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:07   Link #62
Adam E
Riskbreaker

8/10

I thought the characters should have been speaking faster, in general, but I realize they wouldn't be able to fit these six chapters into three episodes, otherwise.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:08   Link #63
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think the pacing was that off. The Awakened Being clearly enjoyed mindgames, and giving the others the time to be afraid. To realise how much in over their heads they were. That's why he gave them the leisure to talk.
Precisely. It is all psychological operation, playing with minds. Tactical combat is not just your weapons and your physical ability, it has a lot to do with what in the minds. Sadly not many people patient enough to understand this very important aspect of combat.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:15   Link #64
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Also, Claymores who go all emotional whenever they lose a comrade won't last long.
Yeah. Remember what happened to Priscilla when she lost control of her emotions...

Anyway, their reactions all seemed perfectly appropriate to me. They're fighting an Awakened Being, so must be prepared for the possibility of at least some casualties. Plus the fact that this is a far more powerful one than they expected to be sent against.

Also, Clare's fight reminded me of some previous discussion (don't remember which thread; probly ep 9) about ranking, and how I thought she might have deliberately failed in any challenge fights.

Watching this episode, I realized I was being stupid (not connecting the dots that were right in front of me; maybe I can get away with saying I was trying to avoid spoilers? >.> ). She continually tries to refine a very particular style of fighting: suppressing all of her yoki and trying to read the opponent's yoki flows. Obviously she's gonna suck when the opponent isn't releasing any power (as would probably be the case in at least the start of the challenge fights, and her opponents are unlikely to raise the power level if they can beat her easily enough without it), and thus will continue to drop down the ranks.

On the other hand, she has managed to refine it to a point that works really well defensively now. Not just the obvious fight part, but in saving Helen from being impaled by the tongue, and in only taking minor wounds when being impaled during the big beat-down.

That aside, it was interesting that they more deliberately emphasized a certain point with Raki's dialog which wasn't in the manga. While it's easy to pick up on in this episode, it is more elaborated on in the next, so I'll leave more discussion on it til then.

The fights were brutal, but somehow seemed shorter than I expected. Probably the issue of having to explain so much background material in dialog. Still, watching it a second time the dialog didn't really seem to interfere with the flow of the show, so they did well enough in that regard; the episode just seemed to fly by.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:18   Link #65
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

IŽonly didn`t gave this a 10 because of Miria arms in a certain scene.
Why 9? Because they made what I though it would be. It was subtle and slow as I pictured it.
Both parties tried to avoid using any suicidal aproaches unlike the typical shounen "where you go head strait and slash the hell out of it!! While screaming rawwwwr!!"
It was an implied trap, the Awakened was soo implying that in his statements, in his actions, even when he was still. Both tried to measure how to attack, to keep calm as ice in a "calculistic chess for survival" made me aware how fights are, in a world where you donŽt come back to life.

But it raised several questions, especialy with the whole Claymores part. Miria truly wanted to know "something" that the Awakened knew about. And the creature itself didn`t behaved like a mindless monster craving guts.

Claymores are nothing compared with Awakened as this episode implied. Although I think Clare was a little bit of a "meanie" considering she could have used it a bit earlier......

Now, there is some explaining to do....A big serious explanation
Old 2007-06-06, 16:21   Link #66
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Precisely. It is all psychological operation, playing with minds. Tactical combat is not just your weapons and your physical ability, it has a lot to do with what in the minds. Sadly not many people patient enough to understand this very important aspect of combat.
It fits the awakeneds personality. He's like a cat, he obvously enjoys playing with his victims. He's going to try and break them mentally if he can. Sadly for him, he may play around a little too much. It gave Claire time to recover and come to Miria's rescue.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:34   Link #67
Nesty

not a bad ep but one thing i didn't like was the bg music for some of the scenes. i just thought the flow of music didn't pace well. the early explantion about male awakened was ince going back from the fight and the observers. i think they reused 1 or 2 shots in the action sequence T_T ddin't want that to happen T_T LOVED the animation of the regen by devene. simply amazing.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:54   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiled one View Post
Claymores are nothing compared with Awakened as this episode implied. Although I think Clare was a little bit of a "meanie" considering she could have used it a bit earlier......

Now, there is some explaining to do....A big serious explanation
I think she's always been trying to do it, and it's the first time it actually worked. After facing her first Awakened Being (and therefore, the first time since her Claymorisation that she was next to such a big youki source), and being in a desperate situation, something went click in her head and she was at last able to use her technique.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:57   Link #69
Mandrake

I think she was using it before with the multiple youmas, or was able to use it easier after her awakening episode in the church. Remember Maria's impression of Clare when she first met her? Seems it was right of the heat of battle.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:03   Link #70
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm not saying her senses were completely useless. But that trick of dodging everything? If she could have done it earlier, she would have.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:11   Link #71
ZODDGUTS

Liked this episode didn't really have any big problems with it. I do think they need to fix the music placing other then that pretty good overall.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:22   Link #72
Archmagination2002

Quote:
I'm not saying her senses were completely useless. But that trick of dodging everything? If she could have done it earlier, she would have.
Thats so true. It basicly looks to me like Clare just couldn't react to the attacks... In the first part of the battle she managed to see the attacks, but was barely able to prevent her vital organs from being damaged. In the second part of the battle something clicked inside her head and she was able to predict far enough ahead that she could react to his attacks in time.

Clare sill needs a long way to go before she can reach Teresa's Yoki reading skill level. Clare still can't read others Yoki while using her own and her basic(silver eye mode)Yoki power is so weak that she wont be able to kill an Awakened One without using her Yoki power.

I have 1 HUGE criticism of this episode.. TO DARK!! In the manga the battle happens roughly around noon, but in the anime its evening and the battle was usually in the dark. I kept on missing the details because of that.. I HATE MISSING DETAILS!!
Old 2007-06-06, 17:23   Link #73
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
It fits the awakeneds personality. He's like a cat, he obvously enjoys playing with his victims. He's going to try and break them mentally if he can. Sadly for him, he may play around a little too much. It gave Claire time to recover and come to Miria's rescue.
Arguably, he never expected a Claymore like Claire around. He paid the price of overconfidence.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:29   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
Clare sill needs a long way to go before she can reach Teresa's Yoki reading skill level. Clare still can't read others Yoki while using her own and her basic(silver eye mode)Yoki power is so weak that she wont be able to kill an Awakened One without using her Yoki power.
Well, we never saw Theresa read youki while releasing her power either. However, I agree her level was much higher: she did it on Claymores and not just on Awakened Beings.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:36   Link #75
Grey

Hmm! They made the Awakened's fingers more rubbery (bending upon impact with the ground) instead of stiff and landscape destroying like the manga. I suppose that's fine and seems to fit with Yoma biology. Extendable arms, fingers, and suchlike do indicate that yoma consist partially of some sort of "Mega Goo". Nothing else can seemingly explain such flexibility.

I adored the Awakened's voice and character. He was quite entertaining. A pity they don't have the budget to splurge on this episode's animation.

Miria's torture scene was more grotestque than when I read it. If they're toning up the damage and dark themes, I bet some later scenes could be quite fun!

The short interlude with Raki surprised me, but was nice enough. Random NPC innkeeper for the win!
Old 2007-06-06, 17:40   Link #76
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quite a riot, that guy. "Your friend's probably dead, like the countless Claymores who went there before her. Oops, pretend I didn't say anything". <_<
Old 2007-06-06, 17:55   Link #77
Grey

Quote:
Quite a riot, that guy. "Your friend's probably dead, like the countless Claymores who went there before her. Oops, pretend I didn't say anything". <_<
Hehehe. He did have a good line there. Seems like a guy who is nice, but a bit slow in the head.

The food he brought looked good. But maybe that's just because I'm hungry. Two eggs, some type of leafy greens, four loaves of bread, a jar of some goo (looks like honey?), and some weird stuff next to the greens that I can't make out. Mmmm.

I wonder if it's as tasty as human guts?! Huahahaha.
Old 2007-06-06, 18:00   Link #78
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
Well, he had already analysed her abilities and decided it didn't matter if she recovered. It just meant he could play with her some more... or so he thought.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-06-06, 18:55   Link #79
Westlo
Lets be reality

8 from me, love how they showed Phantom Miria.
Old 2007-06-06, 18:55   Link #80
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
haha...guys like him need a punch in the face :3

anyone else thought that it was wierd for the youma to be shooting limp attacks at clare? bad misdirection or just emphisis on clare's haxx dodges? O_o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Closed Thread