AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 34 41.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-12, 23:34   Link #101
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Wow, has this series turned into Highlander or something?
THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Shocking stuff this episode, looking forward to the next one and the series' finale.
Koyori and Mana at the end was adorable. I spat up my coffee laughing at hearing Koyori getting the crap chopped out of her at the end.
As for Takeshi teaching Matsuri how to use the sword, maybe there's some "weapons mastery" auto ability (ie. Shirou) or something that will dispel some of the stuff Aono's got going on. I sort of get the image of Matsuri motioning and changing stances as Takeshi, like some old martial arts teacher, is instructing her at the same time.
fict_ticious is offline  
Old 2007-06-12, 23:54   Link #102
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Spoiler for crazy theories with some melodrama:
Wrong timeline. The flashbacks show her killing herself and being turned into a Yaka after Yorito died.
Spoiler:
__________________

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 07:02   Link #103
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Momentarily ignoring the scene at the end with Matsuri and the sword, and all the stuff earlier about Yorito wanting to show Matsuri the sky and Aono's character flaws not being resolved, that was pretty much an ending. Obviously not a totally satisfactory one, but an ending nonetheless.

I continue to find this series underwhelming though. Sure, I wouldn't have predicted Yorito being an illusion, but when I found out, I don't think I really cared all that much... which is a pretty big reason to be critical of the show, since its atmosphere and characters simply haven't done enough to really draw me in and make me care when the big plot twists like this appear. But, never mind the fact that I've never really thought much of Yorito as a character, given his predicament now, I can't help but be reminded of Sakai Yuuji (Shakugan no Shana) by him.
Spoiler for Shakugan no Shana:
... and both are really boring characters. I'm also (still) somewhat reminded of Tsukihime,
Spoiler for major Tsukihime spoilers:
Nonetheless, unpredictable? Sure, why not. Original? Nah, not really.

Matsuri's perfection still annoys me. It's mostly the reason why I find Aono's character much more interesting. She's flawed, and thus resembles a more complex and human character (even if her motivations are, in all honesty, rather simplistic). Mana, on the other hand, is probably the easiest character to sympathize with in all of this, IMO. She's the normal person in all of this, which makes her grounded, and a lot easier to relate to and understand. Hell, if I were directing this, I'd have played with the idea of telling the entire story through her point of view... even if the logistics of it would have been murder and it's limited by the fact that she only ever sees a small glimpse of the total story through her own eyes. It's still an interesting idea, even if it is impossible... something different in a sense, which is something the direction and execution of this show has really lacked. And it also works from the point of view that we'd actually see a strong, sympathetic character in a prominent role, But, then again, it's ideas like this why I should probably just stick to critiquing anime, rather than trying to play the armchair director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerack View Post
Spoiler for ep10:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Erm-hrm... it seems that many people have forgotten the "small details" that has been dished out to us over the past 10 episodes. Remember... sola is not a series that spoonfeeds you the information. Paying attention is mandatory.
  • Yorito has no memories beyond three months ago. His mind reaches a blank when he tries to remember what happened more than three months ago.
    .
  • Yorito transferred to the town three months ago.
    .
  • As such, he has only been schooling at the same school as Mana for the past three months. That is why everybody has been mentioning about the length of time that Mana has known him. Additionally, Yorito got to know Mana because of Aono's stay in the hospital, and Aono's friendship with Koyori, who is the little sister of Mana.
Cheers.
In all honesty, while the "three months" date seems like the most obvious one, I don't think it's either here or there when Aono made Yorito. She could have made him ten years ago, and I wouldn''t see it making any significant difference to the plot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Btw, someone was commenting in Random Curiosity about the inconsistency that Yorito did not go flaky when Takeshi slashed him on his back with the magic repelling sword.
Hmmm... that's interesting. I'm not sure how one can redeem that with what we've seen thus far. Add this as one of the many minor inconsistencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
So what's Matsuri's plan? I assume that if by "disappear" she means that they should run off together, that she's planning on a showdown with Aono so she and Yorito can be free... But Matsuri doesn't seem the type. More likely is that she wants to use the sword to sacrifice herself to make Aono human, and assumes that if Aono were no longer a yaka that Yorito would disappear. I also doubt that the story would end without resolving Mayuko's tragedy of being a yaka, or at least she and Takeshi playing a role in how things wrap up, so that throws a wrench in things.
Of all the speculation I've seen, this seems like the most plausible. I mean, the double suicide seems unlikely (and terribly trite) and it's OOC for Matsuri to try to get revenge on Aono. That would leave this option, which seems to make the most sense to me. Not that I think I'd really care all that much.. it'd just reinforce my opinion that Matsuri Sue is too perfect to care for.

Last edited by Sorrow-K; 2007-06-13 at 19:16.
Sorrow-K is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 08:50   Link #104
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
WOW what an episode. I had no idea that the truth that was reveled was going to be this. I knew that Yorito was not normal i thought well maybe he is the reincarnation of someone but damn hes basically Aono's best origami yet. I dont think i could take that news very well. When I saw Maturi stab him with that sword i was like holy shit that looks like it hurt, but he got the truth and it was his choice. Im not sure what Matsuir's plan is with using the sword but its got to be something with either making Aono human. But if Aono becomes human doesnt mean that Yorito will disappear? She did say to Yorito disappear with me.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 09:23   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Okay, that's a ten. So many small twists and interesting aspects of the characters. Such terrific voices from Honda Youko, Noto Mamiko and Fujiwara Keiji. I still can't say Noto-kawaii is a great voice actress, but when she uses it like this, her voice is to die for.

Yorito did seem to accept the situation a mite too easily, but it worked for me: he didn't just accept it totally, he was worn out from the overwhelming combination of circumstance and had no strength to resist it. And then Matsuri kissed him.

I really don't know what happened between that scene and his arrival home. Did he refuse Matsuri and go back to Aono, because she created him and was his "sister"? I thought the rising sun in the scene with Matsuri implied that she was proposing they actually go out of existence together, perhaps using the yaka-killing sword. Double suicide? Triple (murder-)suicide?

And Sorrow-K: everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I think we're now seeing why your worries about things not being explained have always been premature. You were reduced to pretending this was the ending and criticizing it on that illusory basis. Furthermore, double suicide is hardly the most common meme in anime, although it exists, and no matter how often one might see it, it has an innate power.

I do agree with you about Mana, however: she is the easiest to sympathize with (and I think Honda Youko has now made herself a hot talent). But I have always sympathized with all the characters, especially including Aono, as you say.

I just love it when we have a sort of conclusion coming so long before the end of a series. This gives time for a real winding-down and proper conclusion, if they can manage it.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 16:49   Link #106
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I continue to find this series underwhelming though. Sure, I wouldn't have predicted Yorito being an illusion, but when I found out, I don't think I really cared all that much... which is a pretty big reason to be critical of the show, since its atmosphere and characters simply haven't done enough to really draw me in and make me care when the big plot twists like this appear. But, never mind the fact that I've never really thought much of Yorito as a character, given his predicament now, I can't help but be reminded of Sakai Yuuji (Shakugan no Shana) by him.
this is rather true...and i think it is all down to the dodgy atmosphere created thoughtout the series...tbh yorito is one of those types of character who you dont really care about...to me he has yet to show any reason why i should care for him as a person ~ he is deprived of the tragedy that struck aono and even takeshi for that matter...which is a pretty major flaw as the series is centered around him
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 16:51   Link #107
Furudanuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: State of denial
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Btw, someone was commenting in Random Curiosity about the inconsistency that Yorito did not go flaky when Takeshi slashed him on his back with the magic repelling sword.
Hmmm... I don't really consider that to be an inconsistancy because I can think of a few possible explanations right off the bat.
  • The sword's ability may not work instantaneously. When Takeshi slashed his back, the sword would have only been in physical contact with Yorito for a second at most, in contrast to the amount of time that elapsed when Matsuri ran him through.
  • In Japanese tradition a person's spirit/life force is contained in the belly. So perhaps Matsuri stabbing Yorito in that particular location was a requirement for the sword to work instead of simply symbolic repayment for what he had done to her earlier.
  • The sword's "magic dispelling" ability is separate from its "Yaka slaying" ability, and might require activation by the user. Takeshi simply may not have had that particular function "turned on" when he slashed Yorito's back.
Gee, I knew all those years of dealing with "rules rapist" gamers would come in handy someday!
__________________
Now watching: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, Allison to Lillia, Clannad - After Story, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Hidamari Sketch x365, Kannagi, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~, Telepathy Girl Ran, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Zettai Karen Children
Recently completed: Ghost Hound, Aria: The Origination, Kanokon, Kure-nai, Itazura na Kiss, Special A, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Macross Frontier, Ryouko's Case File, ToLoveRU, Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Furudanuki is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 19:13   Link #108
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And Sorrow-K: everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I think we're now seeing why your worries about things not being explained have always been premature. You were reduced to pretending this was the ending and criticizing it on that illusory basis. Furthermore, double suicide is hardly the most common meme in anime, although it exists, and no matter how often one might see it, it has an innate power.
My complaints about this series have nothing to do with the plot, or where I see this chapter fitting with the overall story. It's not a brilliant or original plot, but, other than a few minor inconsistencies, it's not bad. My complaints have always been that there's a dire lack of strong, sympathetic characters among the main three roles, and that the overall atmosphere of this show has been lacking, thanks largely to subpar directing.

This is one of those series where you really have to care for the characters to find the story dramatic, and I really can't say that I do.
Sorrow-K is offline  
Old 2007-06-13, 21:54   Link #109
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
...This is one of those series where you really have to care for the characters to find the story dramatic....
Absolutely true. Now I see where you're coming from. I feel differently, but I can see how it would be possible to find the characters thin. Yorito is paper-thin...so to speak.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 02:14   Link #110
Icerack
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Quote:
Btw, someone was commenting in Random Curiosity about the inconsistency that Yorito did not go flaky when Takeshi slashed him on his back with the magic repelling sword.
Hmmm... I don't really consider that to be an inconsistancy because I can think of a few possible explanations right off the bat.

* The sword's ability may not work instantaneously. When Takeshi slashed his back, the sword would have only been in physical contact with Yorito for a second at most, in contrast to the amount of time that elapsed when Matsuri ran him through.
* In Japanese tradition a person's spirit/life force is contained in the belly. So perhaps Matsuri stabbing Yorito in that particular location was a requirement for the sword to work instead of simply symbolic repayment for what he had done to her earlier.
* The sword's "magic dispelling" ability is separate from its "Yaka slaying" ability, and might require activation by the user. Takeshi simply may not have had that particular function "turned on" when he slashed Yorito's back.

Gee, I knew all those years of dealing with "rules rapist" gamers would come in handy someday!
I guess also the fact that you have to "learn" how to use the sword means that random slashing doesn't do very much. Not to mention that every time Takeshi makes his final move on Matsuri he holds it in a certain way. Either that or it is just a blooper in the show.
__________________
Icerack is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 09:54   Link #111
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Well, it's taken me a few days to actually spare the time, but it was very worth the wait. Deserving every point of the nine out of ten I gave it, episode 10 has performed its magic and has done so incredibly well. If not for a few spotty moments in art/animation, i think I might have even raised it to a ten. Noticeably, the confrontation between Yorito/Aono in the kitchen at their house really made me wince, but otherwise, the episode was rock solid.

As to the future... I find several points very interesting. Firstly, Matsuri asking Yorito to disappear with her. Secondly, the presence of the katana. Thirdly, Takeshi's attempt to bring Mayuko back to life by killing Matsuri with said katana... and finally the OP sequence of the show. Not in that order now, and my apologies if anything I state has already been addressed, it's tired, and the thread is staring at me balefully - I'll probably read all of it soon ^-^

The katana is an interesting concept, especially how it is applied here. I'm beginning to wonder if the notion of bringing a Yaka back to humanity isn't so much of a 'kill the head vampire' thought, as it is "blood sets you free' - basically, if the life force of one Yaka can recreate the humanity of another Yaka. If that is true, then Matsuri learning the sword can be thought of as quite sinister - she could take the life of Aono, and then apply it to herself (or, of course, to Mayuko). This feels somewhat out of character for Matsuri, but I'll come back to this.

The OP sequence of the show, for the first minute or so of Matsuri walking around the town, is then inserted into the rest of the sequence as... a flashback. With a pair of hands that are, I assume, Yorito's - shape of the hands, and colour of the sleeves. So Matsuri's life, in the rain, is effectively a flashback? Is this because Matsuri is no longer a creature without the sun, is it because she is no longer alive at all? And isn't it interesting that it appears to be Yorito closing the book on her?

Matsuri created Aono and Mayuko as Yaka. She has seen the suffering she has caused both - perhaps she is coming to see that continued life isn't always the correct path. Perhaps then, Matsuri attempting to remove Aono from the picture isn't a selfish grab for her own humanity, perhaps it would also be respite from the condition in which Aono has become immured. But, we run into a small wall here - would Matsuri rather sacrifice herself to bring Aono back? And there's a killer here too - Yorito has promised to show Matsuri the sky. He can't do that as long as she remains Yaka, and he has promised her in two lives here. And you can bet your sweet tropes that he'll either do it, or die trying by the end of the series. Unless there's a way to negate the Yaka-ness, this will require Matsuri to become human. And if a Yaka can only become human through the sacrifice of another, that means that Aono would likely have to die.

But Matsuri wants to disappear with Yorito. I'm leaning not so much to suicide here, as to simply disconnection. How can Yorito ever be disconnected from Aono? The link must be severed. And what would that do - well, in the tradition of the 'golem' concept, Yorito would shortly fall apart and fade away. If Matsuri wants to disappear with him, how can this happen? Suicide seems to be the answer here - either through using the sword, some other weapon, or walking into the sun. Yet it feels more passive to me. And, the question still exists: how would Matsuri break the link between Yorito and Aono? There appears to me to be two ways - firstly, by killing Aono. And secondly, by bringing Aono back. Consider - the magical abilities that the Yaka possess seem to be tied into the fact that they are Yaka. Would Aono still be able to wield her powers if she were again merely human? I'd tend to say no, and as such, she would lose control - which would make Yorito a decaying husk, that would eventually collapse without its 'guiding power'.

Perhaps Matsuri would be willing to sacrifice herself to bring Aono back, and then she herself would fade, even as Yorito would - she because she has given life to Aono, and him because his life has been lost as Aono's has returned. Perhaps this would fulfill Matsuri's appeal to disappear together.

Looking forward to episode 11 now. Counting down.


-Andiyar
__________________
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
andiyar is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 11:24   Link #112
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Having got back from vacation and then watching episodes 7 to 10 in one night, that was quite an experience. So many things got explained, and so many new questions and subplots popped up. Takeshi's story was a heartwarming one, and Aono's character makes for some pretty intense dualism with Matsuri. Mana's still the best character though.

10/10.
__________________


AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 11:37   Link #113
Nemesis2124
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
The OP sequence of the show, for the first minute or so of Matsuri walking around the town, is then inserted into the rest of the sequence as... a flashback. With a pair of hands that are, I assume, Yorito's - shape of the hands, and colour of the sleeves. So Matsuri's life, in the rain, is effectively a flashback? Is this because Matsuri is no longer a creature without the sun, is it because she is no longer alive at all? And isn't it interesting that it appears to be Yorito closing the book on her?
I don't know about anyone else, but I've been having morbid feelings about this show since the moment I first saw that part. At some point though, I started getting the feeling that maybe they're trying to dupe us to some degree. It wouldn't be out of character with the type of writing we've seen thus far. Off the top of my head I can remember four or five scenes, that were all tailored to get the audience on a specific thread of thought, only to completely pull the rug out only a few seconds later. To that extent, I'm certainly suspicious of their intentions. Though, getting me to think I'm on to their game could also be their intention. They're crafty bastards either way.
Nemesis2124 is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 11:49   Link #114
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ceridia
Age: 33
Send a message via Skype™ to octoberasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
Spoiler for length:
It is an interesting theory you put out. However, there is just one thing that won't fit: Aono wanting to be with Yorito. It is why and how Aono is who she is currently in the series. She wanted to die to be with Yorito after death. Then, that opportunity was taken away from her when Matsuri revived her. Centuries later Aono recreates Yorito out of origami paper in another attempt to be with him forever since both cannot age. And, now her purpose for living and wanting to be with Yorito is being threatened with Matsuri re-entering their lives. It would be selfish of Matsuri, and probably sweet revenge, to return Aono to human form. But, if she does so, wouldn't it make Aono's life much more miserable? If in human form, then she no longer has any of her Yaka powers, especially to create life from origami paper and control it. Her existence, in my opinion, and her purpose now is tied to Yorito. She would not want to lose him again for a second time. I just don't see Matsuri going so low as to bring more misery to another person, especially it being twice for Aono.

There has to be something else other than suicide. But, you are right about the OP sequence as being some sort of a flashback. Two other animes I know had reference to future events such as the ED sequence to Sokou no Strain with Sarah walking on the beach or Da Capo SS with Nemu's hands on Junichi's shoulders. So, it is a bit unique to have a flashback scene in the OP sequence. I don't remember other animes, if at all, did the same thing.
Spoiler:
It's Yorito's hands thinking back about Matsuri with a better camera to his right side. What could it mean? Did Aono and Matsuri both disappear? But, I don't see that as a possibility unless there is a way to sever the link between Aono and Yorito. Unless, Yorito is actually an independent, living and breathing being, though made of paper, then his existence isn't tied to Aono's.

Then, what about the talk of "disappearing together" between Yorito and Matsuri? If the OP sequence is the "real ending" to this anime, then that would mean only Matsuri disappeared and not Yorito. But, if you think about it: Yorito is made of paper and is practically eternal and cannot age. Aono's reason for re-creating Yorito, that I believe now, is to have him for all eternity since both cannot age.

There are so many possibilities. Of course it looks familiar to Da Capo SS' ED sequence. We don't find out until the last episode it is Nemu's hands. There could be a surprise in that one picture above that we haven't expected yet. It does confirm in some way, maybe, that Matsuri did disappear. Or, maybe, Matsuri didn't disappear... and we'll see Matsuri standing behind Yorito akin to Da Capo SS' ending. Therefore, Matsuri and Yorito did indeed disappear together-- away from the rest of the world. The photo album would then be a photo of all the places in the town before they ran away.

This leads to the sword: Takeshi's special magical katana. Why would Matsuri want to use it? I don't see her causing harm to anyone. She would have turned Takeshi into rotted flesh if she wanted, but she didn't. The sword is meant to nullify a Yaka's power. Thus, I keep thinking back to Aono and her killing herself, then using her own blood to animate a paper origami. See, Matsuri's Yaka power is tied to her touching objects and decaying them, right? Where is Aono's power then? I don't see her touching objects to decay them. It seems each Yaka has their own unique abilities imbued in them at the moment they died. Upon touching the blade of the katana, Matsuri couldn't decay it. Therefore, would it make sense that if the sword were to stab Aono it would nullify her powers? (And, possibly killing her.)

I think Matsuri, for the first, is about to do something selfish. She would use the sword upon Aono, kill her, sever the tie between her and Yorito. How? Aono's power would be completely nullified upon coming in contact to Aono's blood. Yorito becomes an independent being at that moment, but living eternally. Mayuko returns to human form with one Yaka having died, and thus Takeshi has his happy ending. Matsuri and Yorito, therefore, run away together. Aono returns to the real Yorito, figuratively. The reasons is because I don't see current Yorito as the same old Yorito except as containing memories that came from Aono. Thus, Matsuri would have this version of Yorito, and Aono would return to the real Yorito who is already dead. And, since Yorito cannot age, it wouldn't make sense for him to continue living in that town to arouse suspicion. So, Matsuri and Yorito would have to run away together. The two would then create new memories together, and the current Yorito would live as a unique individual.

That's what I'm thinking after reading all the posts in this thread. It cannot be double suicide. It would have to be something reasonable for all parties involved to have a unique ending to their misery. If Matsuri kills Aono with Takeshi's sword, sever ties between Aono and Yorito, then Matsuri is correcting a mistake she committed when she revived Aono. Matsuri took Aono away from the real Yorito at that moment centuries ago. It would seem more likely to correct her past mistakes. Aono is probably realizing now that she can no longer control Yorito, as he is his own individual self and cannot be the real Yorito, nor can he ever truly replace him and make Aono happy. That's the only possible ending I could think of now.
__________________

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, / I took the one less traveled by.
octoberasian is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 17:06   Link #115
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Shaking Illusion

The title explains it all and will be spoiler for those who could not watched the episodes in sequence.

Spoiler:


This series has been extraordinary in its drama, cinematics, plot construction, and characters. With a few and limited cast of characters one quickly grows to be attached to all of them and enjoy how they are developing as the course of the story goes on.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 23:48   Link #116
Manatsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki View Post
Hmmm... I don't really consider that to be an inconsistancy because I can think of a few possible explanations right off the bat.
True but the problem is we don't know if you are correct when the properties of the sword has not been properly defined. We'll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I really don't know what happened between that scene and his arrival home. Did he refuse Matsuri and go back to Aono, because she created him and was his "sister"? I thought the rising sun in the scene with Matsuri implied that she was proposing they actually go out of existence together, perhaps using the yaka-killing sword. Double suicide? Triple (murder-)suicide?
I thought that part was somewhat symbolic.

The image of dawn on the sparkling sea and the music that represent the freshness of the new morning which seems to be imply hope. The Yorito that greeted the Ishizuki sisters seems to hold a smile that is beyond any kind of affliction. He looks quite charming in the way he seems to have taken everything into strides. Something about this free-spirit which fits the image of the always smiling Yorito that loves the sky. And Matsuri otoh has a determined look that she believes whatever course she's is going to take will resolve everything for once. Yorito seems to knows and is perfectly at ease and agreeable with what Matsuri intends to do, thus his change in outlook.

Yeah I think that is what that sequence alone is trying to show, problem is I don't see where it's leading to. Likely there's probably many wrongs in my interpretation. Anyway I agree there is something missing in transition, they just love to end every ep with a cliffhanger don't they? Hopefully they will cover it next ep. I also want to see how the siblings treat each other now that some truths are out. And I would love it if the two sit down to have a talk and Yorito gets Aono's side of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
That's what I'm thinking after reading all the posts in this thread. It cannot be double suicide. It would have to be something reasonable for all parties involved to have a unique ending to their misery. If Matsuri kills Aono with Takeshi's sword, sever ties between Aono and Yorito, then Matsuri is correcting a mistake she committed when she revived Aono. Matsuri took Aono away from the real Yorito at that moment centuries ago. It would seem more likely to correct her past mistakes. Aono is probably realizing now that she can no longer control Yorito, as he is his own individual self and cannot be the real Yorito, nor can he ever truly replace him and make Aono happy. That's the only possible ending I could think of now.
I read your post and I start to wonder... will Aono have a say in what's going to happen? Hundred of years ago, Matsuri took things into her own hands and revived Aono, leading her to live and suffer loneliness for so long. And now hundred years later she is going to plunge a sword into her stomach and tell her "sorry please die for the good of everyone and I'll take care of Yorito for you." Making individual decisions like that, is like playing God. I would be fine if she just decide to kill herself, but killing others is a different matter.

I mean Yorito is made by Aono and while Yorito is a different existence from the old one, he is still Yorito. I don't think Aono will be happy to die when there is Yorito in this time, besides she made Yorito. And how would Yorito think to have his sister sacrificed, while he likes Matsuri and willingly block a sword for her, I'm sure he cares for his sister too. Although there still is a thread which they haven't resolve, that Aono once controlled Yorito to stab Matsuri. That information when given to Yorito will possibly make things a little more complex, but I have a feeling she will be forgiven. Knowing that Yorito is a kind person, I think this is probably how he will react. And then there is one other thing, the promise that Yorito will let Matsuri see the sky.

And now I wonder why the trio can't live together if Aono can be convinced. I don't see the supposed danger that Matsuri said about being around a Yaka, all three of them are immortals now and Takeshi has been together with Mayuko for very long with no trouble. Of course it's regrettable that if the story goes that way, Mayuko would have to find other ways to become human again.
__________________
Manatsu is offline  
Old 2007-06-14, 23:59   Link #117
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ceridia
Age: 33
Send a message via Skype™ to octoberasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
And now I wonder why the trio can't live together if Aono can be convinced.
There have already been a few instances where Aono has went beyond being a loving sister. In many cases, she showcases examples of obsession, great remorse, and clinging onto the past-- that she will probably never have again. She has also shown a willingness to go so far as to nearly eliminate another person. Aono has also shown an abuse of power by re-creating Yorito. If that is not an example of a delusional person, then I don't know what is.

Aono, more than ever, needs to learn how to cope with the past, learn to live with the fact that the real Yorito is dead. She has to also know how to move on in her life.

I don't see her, Matsuri, and Yorito living together after all that has already happened in this anime. Aono really needs help, especially psychologically. She cannot live on the rest of her life moping and yearning to be with Yorito again. Like I've told a few of my friends that can't let go of their past girlfriends/boyfriends: Learn to move on, and never cling to the past or it will overwhelm you and take over your life. If Aono can't do that, I don't know how she can live with two other people: one she almost tried to kill twice and the other manipulated the memories to her own favor.

So, right now, I don't think it's possible for Aono to do that, unless she can change.
__________________

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, / I took the one less traveled by.
octoberasian is offline  
Old 2007-06-15, 02:06   Link #118
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
True but the problem is we don't know if you are correct when the properties of the sword has not been properly defined. We'll see...
Lets go with the easiest explanation - the first time around the sword wasn't in contact long enough. It took several seconds for Yorito's arm to start dissolving after being rammed trough his stomach by the sword. When he took the slash to his back he was in contact with the sword for a split second, not to mention the wound wasn't nearly as serious.

__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2007-06-15, 02:59   Link #119
Manatsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
So, right now, I don't think it's possible for Aono to do that, unless she can change.
Very true. I don't really foresee any problem with Matsuri and Yorito so the possibilities are there that they can live together if Aono can change. She has to accept the past and understand that Yorito is not an object and she should let him free and not hold on to him like her possession. While we still don't have a good picture of what cause her to be like that, the idea is there that it will be difficult for her.

Y'know after my last post, I actually thought there would be people posting in anger that Aono does not deserve a choice and should be sentenced to death without trial, maybe I'm lucky.

Even without some critical information of what happened in the past, I can sympathize with her as a living tragedy, in fact all 3 of them are living tragedies of some form. I'm just not fond of the idea that Matsuri plays the God, kills Aono and then lives happily ever after with Yorito (if it's possible that he won't disappear as well) as though it was nothing serious. And we still have to contend whether Matsuri for all the guilt she claims to have will go that length. At least let it be her own choice to be a sacrifice so that it will come full circle for her to fulfill what she is supposed to do in the past, then we will see her redeem herself and maybe get some happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Lets go with the easiest explanation - the first time around the sword wasn't in contact long enough. It took several seconds for Yorito's arm to start dissolving after being rammed trough his stomach by the sword. When he took the slash to his back he was in contact with the sword for a split second, not to mention the wound wasn't nearly as serious.

I don't mind, but why are we arguing over this small thing anyway? Oh yeah I started it.
__________________
Manatsu is offline  
Old 2007-06-15, 04:15   Link #120
Nemesis2124
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Thing is, the God playing began the moment Aono was resurrected. And with all the trouble she's currently causing with her own God playing, I can't say I'd exactly blame Matsuri for finishing the act and putting her mistake out of it's misery. But rest assured; in such an event, there's no way it'd be considered "not that serious"; not with how much consideration she's put towards Aono thus far. That said though, I'd be incredibly surprised if such a thing actually went down. There's plenty of avenues of action that nobody has attempted yet, and to give this one so much attention seems very premature right now.

Last edited by Nemesis2124; 2007-06-15 at 04:25.
Nemesis2124 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.