AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-08, 18:12   Link #401
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for response:
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 19:46   Link #402
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, Mťxico
Age: 34
Dahlia Pinnata

Insecurity

I do apologize for breaking up the current discussion theme all of a suddenly. It is just that I want to keep on contributing my opinions on Blue Drop now that Genjo-fansubs are back, delivering the fourth episode.

This one really made things move after all the soap-opera drama from the previous episodes, as it started to build tension and setting things up for a future crisis.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:37   Link #403
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
ep6
Spoiler:
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 23:34   Link #404
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
don’t know if I’m enjoying Blue Drop TOO much or what, but I’ll tell you right away, I’m loving every minute of it. First and foremost, the directing is just amazing. I’d hate to compare it to a completely unrelated yuri show, but it’s directorial style reminds me of Marimite in that it is so very thorough. Every little facial expression has some kind of meaning. This is emotion expressed the way it is meant to be. Not to mention the god-so-beautiful dramatics. Oh my lord, the scene in the first episode with the birds was positively mesmerizing. The character designs and color scheme add even more to the deepness of te experience. The light tones of everything and the way the characters’ eyes just seem to pul you in~

My favorite detail yet might be the characters who show so much personality in so few words. This show may be very quit in terms of dialogue and action, but it is loud with emotion. The dorm leader is the best example of this - she is a kind and very insightful person with much wisdom, and she knows a lot about food XD My favorite might actually be miss long-haired alien girl (if you haven’t guessed yet, I’m HORRIBLE with names) because at first, I thought she was going to fall into the phylem of mysterious-girl who always acts strong and you don’t hear the inner thoughts of too often (basically, I was thinking she’d end up like a certain Marimite character, lol) but I’m glad we get to spend a lot of time with her and her own surfacing emotions.

Blue Drop’s characters also serve as a nice reminder of how fucking ignorant characters in other shows are. That’s right, I’m talking about Shana season 2 wherein Shana STILL doesn’t understand her emotions after 2 goddamn seasons whereas the girls in Blue Drop catch on mere episodes in. This probably means I’ll have to hold off on watching Shana until Blue Drop is over XD

Regarding the actual story of Blue Drop, it hasn’t really showed it’s hand much, if at all. I’ve read one of the 2 Blue Drop manga (the one that came in 3 one-shots scanslated by Lillilicious) which was post-apocalyptic and full of sci-fi far beyond the anime, so I’m guessing the manga is a far-off sequel or just shares it’s general premise with the anime.

Spoiler:
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 00:35   Link #405
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Regarding the actual story of Blue Drop, it hasnít really showed itís hand much, if at all. Iíve read one of the 2 Blue Drop manga (the one that came in 3 one-shots scanslated by Lillilicious) which was post-apocalyptic and full of sci-fi far beyond the anime, so Iím guessing the manga is a far-off sequel or just shares itís general premise with the anime.
There is no singular plotline to the Blue Drop universe exactly. The manga stories are all side stories but they share connecting points with each other. An example would be like the many Star Trek or Star Wars novels, where each story is self contained, but might contain nods to other novels, but they all follow established guidelines about the universe they are contained in.

The stories do follow a timeline of sorts, which is covered in either this thread or the manga thread....I forget which exactly.

Back on the anime topic, I too get frustrated with characters and plots where it's so completely obvious what's going on but your characters act oblivious and/or the plotline simply won't progress. While I do like the fact that Mari and Hagino are progressing faster than your typical anime relationship the ending to episode 4 was kind of odd, given how Mari has reacted in previous episodes.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 00:37   Link #406
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
There is no singular plotline to the Blue Drop universe exactly. The manga stories are all side stories but they share connecting points with each other. An example would be like the many Star Trek or Star Wars novels, where each story is self contained, but might contain nods to other novels, but they all follow established guidelines about the universe they are contained in.

The stories do follow a timeline of sorts, which is covered in either this thread or the manga thread....I forget which exactly.

Back on the anime topic, I too get frustrated with characters and plots where it's so completely obvious what's going on but your characters act oblivious and/or the plotline simply won't progress. While I do like the fact that Mari and Hagino are progressing faster than your typical anime relationship the ending to episode 4 was kind of odd, given how Mari has reacted in previous episodes.
That, my friend, is 'becoming aware'. And she did save her, after all. Besides, like in earlier eps there might be more to it explained in ep 5 - like what happens when she's done crying, maybe they talked?
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 00:51   Link #407
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
That, my friend, is 'becoming aware'. And she did save her, after all. Besides, like in earlier eps there might be more to it explained in ep 5 - like what happens when she's done crying, maybe they talked?
Perhaps, guess we'll find out in ep 5. Although in earlier eps, it seems Mari has this habit of falling asleep before learning the truth.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 01:33   Link #408
Hakuryu_Hikaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
That, my friend, is 'becoming aware'. And she did save her, after all. Besides, like in earlier eps there might be more to it explained in ep 5 - like what happens when she's done crying, maybe they talked?
Hagino, you have a lot of 'splaining to do!

And a few minutes earlier...
If you wanted to save me, you should have done it faster!
Sorry, traffic was a bitch!
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 07:47   Link #409
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
THe ending of episode 4 with Mari crying in Hagino's arms calling her baka over and over was so damn moving. Hagino is up a creek without a paddle not only did she disobey orders but she destroyed military equipment and protected a human. I see no good coming from this except that Mari and her get closer.

I wonder if Hagino will tell Mari about the invasion plans?
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 09:41   Link #410
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Hagino is up a creek without a paddle not only did she disobey orders but she destroyed military equipment and protected a human.
Protecting a human wasn't really the issue - the real issue is that she intentionally disrupted a mission, committed gross insubordination, and then lied to her superior's face about it.
Spoiler for episode 6:
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 09:46   Link #411
mdauben
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In a world all my own
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Protecting a human wasn't really the issue - the real issue is that she intentionally disrupted a mission, committed gross insubordination, and then lied to her superior's face about it.
I've only seen the last subbed episode, so I don't know the aftermath yet, but I got the impression from watching the "Master Commander" that she may have done this just to see what Hagino's reaction was. She was perhaps suspicous of Hagino's true motives and feelings about the issue at hand. If so, Hagino has pretty much answered her question.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 09:53   Link #412
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I dont really think hagino lied about anything tbh...perhaps all she needed to saw was that she is interested in mari (which could have got the message across why she protected her from that attack quite nicely).
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 10:28   Link #413
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I dont really think hagino lied about anything tbh...perhaps all she needed to saw was that she is interested in mari (which could have got the message across why she protected her from that attack quite nicely).
Oh... shoot... that's in episode five >_<
Sorry

The Master Commander was also interested in Mari, so it wasn't just a test. She was intending to capture her alive.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 10:31   Link #414
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Yea i dont she really lied but it sure as hell was insubornation boarding on treason.
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 10:41   Link #415
Hakuryu_Hikaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Protecting a human wasn't really the issue - the real issue is that she intentionally disrupted a mission, committed gross insubordination, and then lied to her superior's face about it.

When did she lie? I mean, communication was working, but Shivarel (?) had no means to know or prove it.
Spoiler for episode 6:
Spoiler for episode 6:
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 14:28   Link #416
SnEptUne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I can't understand why Hagino would attack the probe, which isn't even trying to harm Mari. It wasn't a wise move at all. So what if Mari is captured?

I suspect that Hagino is hiding more than she is. Perhaps she does not want others to find out what really happened in the "accident"? Who knows, maybe it is an incident where Hagino killed countless human and her people in a trance, just like how she tried to strangle Mari in the first episode?

But at any rate, beside Hagino's unexplained behaviour, the character development is quite rich. The only issue I dislike is that Mari is blushing too much. It is understandable that she was anxious for the first few intimate interactions with people other than her family, but she still haven't gotten used to it in episode 6? Oh well.
SnEptUne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 14:35   Link #417
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
wait...what? from what i got i thought the commander was trying to prove if mari was indeed the survivor of that island after the emu(?) blast wiped out everyone else. that blue light we saw was some kind of energy blast right? i thought the commander tried to prove if 1) mari dies then hagino is lying, 2) if mari lives then hagino is telling the truth...but then we have hagino saving mari's ass because she doesnt want any harm coming to her (also perhaps she thought that mari might not be so lucky this time if it was by chance she survived the last time).
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 15:30   Link #418
Lesca
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
wait...what? from what i got i thought the commander was trying to prove if mari was indeed the survivor of that island after the emu(?) blast wiped out everyone else. that blue light we saw was some kind of energy blast right? i thought the commander tried to prove if 1) mari dies then hagino is lying, 2) if mari lives then hagino is telling the truth...but then we have hagino saving mari's ass because she doesnt want any harm coming to her (also perhaps she thought that mari might not be so lucky this time if it was by chance she survived the last time).
I don't think Hagino was expecting the master commander to send out a probe, she told her it was being investigated by her and I think she thought it would stay like that, so when the probe is sent after her I think Hagino panics a little, she didn't know what the master commander had planned for Mari.

Spoiler for theory:
__________________
Motsu: "Ah!, I'm flat"
Shichimi: "Sometimes, I have the urge to kill you"
Lesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 15:37   Link #419
Hakuryu_Hikaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
wait...what? from what i got i thought the commander was trying to prove if mari was indeed the survivor of that island after the emu(?) blast wiped out everyone else. that blue light we saw was some kind of energy blast right? i thought the commander tried to prove if 1) mari dies then hagino is lying, 2) if mari lives then hagino is telling the truth...but then we have hagino saving mari's ass because she doesnt want any harm coming to her (also perhaps she thought that mari might not be so lucky this time if it was by chance she survived the last time).
I don't think Master Commander is trying to *prove* anything, but rather *probe* something, aka Mari. I don't think she cares if Mari is dead or alive at this point, I think she just wants to know why she survived. If she was convinced that the accident was Ekaril's fault, why did she stop Azanael? She seemed to accept Ekaril's explanations face value and went after Mari on an afterthought. I still wonder why Ekaril mentioned Mari to her. Naivete? In any case, the way Master Commander is dealing with the whole situation looks very weird to me. It's not quite clear to me what kind of power Shivarel has over Ekaril. Supposedly she has full hierarchical power over her, but I don't she her using it, so far.
In my understanding, the logical procedure would have been taking Ekaril's commander priviledges or even arresting her pending investigation. Then, if there is enough evidence, court-martial her or disposing or her, depending on the Aliens' ways. But Master Commander simply let her go scot free. It's hard to figure what she is up to.

Last edited by Hakuryu_Hikaru; 2007-11-09 at 16:12.
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 15:43   Link #420
Hakuryu_Hikaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesca View Post
I don't think Hagino was expecting the master commander to send out a probe, she told her it was being investigated by her and I think she thought it would stay like that, so when the probe is sent after her I think Hagino panics a little, she didn't know what the master commander had planned for Mari.

Spoiler for theory:

Spoiler for theory -ep 6:
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, sci-fi, shounen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.