AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 26 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 44.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 19.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-22, 13:06   Link #141
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sorry if I sounded a bit grumpy, just came from another forum where being a jerk is pretty much required to state an opinion. I should just drop that place completely.
Oh dont worry, It's not as if I am mad or anything. I was just mentioning that bit about myself as a side comment of sorts.

Here's hoping for a better Lucky Channel, next week!
Old 2007-06-22, 13:12   Link #142
Suzumiya Haruhi
Destroying the balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
But didn't Konata talk to Tsukasa on the phone saying that her noodles get soggy if you wait too long? Maybe it was as a result of the curry noodles getting soggy that she changed to seafood noodles.
That conversation was after the seafood noodles. They got soggy after Konata read manga to pass the time, which was during the frame with the seafood noodles. ^^;

The Otaku Spot - My anime & manga reviews, musings, and pointless rants...
Old 2007-06-22, 13:49   Link #143
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I still think it was intentional (the switch from curry to seafood flavors). I haven't watched the subs yet (so I don't know exactly what she says at that point), but I can't think that they would accidently change the flavors. The cups of ramen are one of the main focuses of the scenes (they're not part of the background), and they're pretty detailed.

For the record... I like seafood, but I hate seafood flavored ramen.
Old 2007-06-22, 14:01   Link #144
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You have to add actual seafood bits (like faux crab) to make it passable. I'll often just use a bit of the packet and add furikake, some chili pepper, faux crab, and maybe peas or broccoli bits to enhance the ramen in Iron Chef fashion

Totally random: I think I just grokked why twin tails are so sexy to me.... it exposes the back of the neck (he said while choosing a hairstyle for his draenei in WoW .... how completely geeky I am today...).
Old 2007-06-22, 14:06   Link #145
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I still think it was intentional (the switch from curry to seafood flavors). I haven't watched the subs yet (so I don't know exactly what she says at that point), but I can't think that they would accidently change the flavors. The cups of ramen are one of the main focuses of the scenes (they're not part of the background), and they're pretty detailed.

Those were two completely different instances where Konata made cup noodles. On the first time, she thought those 3 minutes were too long. The second time she went for a cup, she took manga along to pass the time. That didn't work out well.

The dialogue said "I'll use this to kill time today" on the Seafood scene, indicating that this is a different day.

I. Love. Japanese. Seafood. Ramen. But Americanized ramen had a crappy seafood flavor where they thought shrimp and shrimp sauce is all there is. The Asian kind had faux crab and faux cuttlefish...Asian ramen all tend to have better toppings. I hate Americanized crap...every bit of it.
Old 2007-06-22, 14:09   Link #146
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post

You are correct: It's not an accident.

It's two different instances. The first is when she reflects on how long it seems to take, and the second is when she decides to read a manga to kill the time.

For the unbelievers, watch for the different shirt and listen for the "今日は" when she's reclining to read the manga.

Parts of this episode seems to return to some of the awkward timing and jump cuts we saw earlier in the series (although overall I think it's still better). In addition, it seems to be more "series of random 4koma"-ish than the last few episodes, which had a bit more of a coherent flow. The character models also seem slightly different (a little rounder, a little more angled and elastic), so I imagine that the staff for this episode was different.

Edit: Dangit, Claies, I would have beat you to the punch if I hadn't decided to type out the rest of my thoughts, too!
Old 2007-06-22, 15:07   Link #147
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye on the "american ramen" (who the hell eats the 'picante chicken' ramen they sell??).

We usually either get the basic noodle packs (no extras other than the sodium death packets) from Costco and add our own toppings. Or we shop at the local Uwajamiya in their "amazing collection of East Asian wierdness" noodle packages. Those cost a bit more but 'wierdly amazing' makes up for it.
Old 2007-06-22, 16:14   Link #148
Animaniac: DN Guy
Stick a Sock in it!

Send a message via MSN to Animaniac: DN Guy
I'd have to say this is the best episode!
Old 2007-06-22, 18:30   Link #149
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
My brother used to get really weird flavors of instant ramen and they all tasted pretty disgusting. For things like cup noodles, I'll just stick with the regular chicken/beef/shrimp flavored kinds. Recently, I'd rather just go to a Japanese restaurant and get $6-$10 ramen, I prefer to avoid those death-in-a-cup meals, and I'm a college student.

Yeah, I also thought that this episode was a bit on the meh side. I can't wait when Konata and the gang all become third years. That's when all the fun begins.
Old 2007-06-22, 18:36   Link #150
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
That's when all the fun begins.
I don't know about you, but i found that the fun began back with the first episode. :3
Old 2007-06-22, 21:38   Link #151
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye on the "american ramen" (who the hell eats the 'picante chicken' ramen they sell??).

We usually either get the basic noodle packs (no extras other than the sodium death packets) from Costco and add our own toppings. Or we shop at the local Uwajamiya in their "amazing collection of East Asian wierdness" noodle packages. Those cost a bit more but 'wierdly amazing' makes up for it.
If you're looking at packs, I recommend Nissin's Demae Itcho...it looks like this:
http://www.mandom5354.com/tour/noodle/21.JPG

They released this line to Hong Kong decades ago, and I've grown up with them. They are unspeakably awesome. Thankfully I found those in markets near where I live.

They come in a huge variety of flavors, like Original (basically soy sauce-like), Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, Pork, Satay, Curry, Tonkotsu (pork bones), Miso Ramen, etc. They even have a line of udon and stir-fried (lo mein) packs out.

If you spot those (probably in a Chinese market), I definitely recommend a try. They have perfect English printed on them, so they're quite easy to take care of.
Old 2007-06-22, 22:52   Link #152
nanafan
horo fan

umm..hi i am new to this forum. i am recently watching lucky star. this episode was hilarious like the others.
Old 2007-06-23, 00:21   Link #153
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

This thread is turning into a ramen discussion thread >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
If you're looking at packs, I recommend Nissin's Demae Itcho...it looks like this:
Ive tried that brand before, its pretty good. Usually when i eat japanese ramen I'll either eat that brand or a korean version of ramen. I like packet versions more than cup versions though. Although i guess sometimes you dont get much of a choice =\
Old 2007-06-23, 00:50   Link #154
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptileex View Post
This thread is turning into a ramen discussion thread >.>
Ramen is what gets us college students through the year. :B

I prefer Korean ramen (I love spicy fire-in-mouth ramen), and I also prefer the packets to the bowls. My favorite is Samyang's Sutah Ramen... the noodles are hand-made (instead of using a machine), and I think it makes the noodles a little more tender.. however, it's not a huge difference from regular ramen noodles. I really dig the spicy soup flavor. <3

The Shin Ramen (which is also shown on the same page) is, IMO, the spiciest package ramen I've ever had. The soup flavor is pretty good, too.

Nanafan, welcome.
Old 2007-06-23, 02:56   Link #155
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
My thoughts on this ep:

1. Wonderful bit of melancholy determination with Sensei and the cake.

2. Yui's husband is in for a surprise all right -- a very, very drunken surprise unless she somehow has access to Instant Sobriety Pills. I just hope she doesn't end up getting sick to her stomach at an extremely inconvenient time....

3. "You gonna cosplay as Miko this year" to the girls who actually are miko.... Even Kona-chan can display lack of clue. and Kagami's explanantion of why her faily does Christmas neatly ties in with the classical view of eastern religiousness; their main faith may be Shinto, but they seem to practice a little of everything. Which is another reason I would be extremely surprised were Lucky Star to be a big hit in Iran. (Although stranger things have happened, like Islamists carrying posters of Haruhi-sama in their demonstrations.)
Old 2007-06-23, 03:39   Link #156
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen those at my local asian grocery store, I'll give them a try. Thanks for the tip.

@Risaa: I've become a recent fan of Korean fare (my son's debate coach was raised by Korean mom and she's always on the hunt for Korean restaurants when we're at tournaments). May have to give that a shot as well since I'm a fan of extremely spicy things.

Kagami and Tsukasa in their miko garb are just the mind-blowingly cutest things. If they tipped in Japan, Kona would just rake in the dough at Christmas cosplay
Old 2007-06-23, 04:25   Link #157
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:

They released this line to Hong Kong decades ago, and I've grown up with them. They are unspeakably awesome. Thankfully I found those in markets near where I live.

They come in a huge variety of flavors, like Original (basically soy sauce-like), Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, Pork, Satay, Curry, Tonkotsu (pork bones), Miso Ramen, etc. They even have a line of udon and stir-fried (lo mein) packs out.

If you spot those (probably in a Chinese market), I definitely recommend a try. They have perfect English printed on them, so they're quite easy to take care of.
I can vouch for their quality, and I must say... it is weird to see you people treat them as "exotic fare" when they are basically sold EVERYWHERE over here.

[Just like Pocky... that damn thing is so common here, it boggles my mind that people "worship" it so much. There are much better Japanese snacks out there, like "Hello Panda"]

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-23, 04:30   Link #158
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

great episode, but I really like the part when
Spoiler for door scene:

pretty good episode, 9/10 though Lucky Channel didn't wasn't really interesting than episode 10's Lucky channel, but I still enjoyed the whole show!
Old 2007-06-23, 04:46   Link #159
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I can vouch for their quality, and I must say... it is weird to see you people treat them as "exotic fare" when they are basically sold EVERYWHERE over here.

[Just like Pocky... that damn thing is so common here, it boggles my mind that people "worship" it so much. There are much better Japanese snacks out there, like "Hello Panda"]

Cheers.
I'd offer you a "chicken fried steak", "grits", "biscuits'n'gravy", and "fried okra" but it'd probably be an insta-kill on your arteries.'

Its not so much that its "exotic" but that it just can be hard to find. American groceries have gotten to where they have absolutely pathetic selections of even local foods unless you head for the organic.natural.worldfood boutique groceries like WholeFoods, New Seasons, or Uwajamiya. At my house, we cook dishes that are japanese, chinese, indian, italian, german, mexican, etc. We're always on the look out for a new dish to try

I agree Pocky is over-rated as a taste treat, we'll use them as stocking stuffers at Yuletide. Fortunately, Uwajamiya has an entire aisle dedicated to "junky snack foods of asia" so there's lots to try. I'm more fond of the nori crackers and related crunchy stuff myself.
Old 2007-06-23, 10:13   Link #160
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
depends on where you live really...here i find them common but thats because i know where i can buy stuff like that (with my parents going to the chinese supermarket every week) ~ but even still the price is wayyy above normal (overseas stuff costs soo much ;_; )

and as far as pocky goes i never really liked the stuff that much...

Pretz > pocky in taste ~

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Closed Thread