AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-16, 18:48   Link #1
Blackxp

Good Start?

New to anime and I enjoy much of it aired on AdultSwim.com and a friend told me about this site and im interested in downloading and watching alot of this, but im not sure where to start since most of the shows i know and enjoy are licenced and are now here on this site.

So what is a good place to start that everyone on this forums can agree to as a very good anime? I didnt see a rating or number of times downloaded thing on the site so i could not use that to figure out what was the most popular. Also this maybe a dumb question but is it all subtitled?

I do enjoy the english dubs, but I really dont mind i can get used to reading it too. Got friends that tell me how weird it is listening to the english dubs too. So I might get a few ppl posting explaining that the english dubs arnt right anyways .

Well im up for suggestions cause i really dont know where else to start =).
Old 2007-06-16, 19:04   Link #2
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
So what is a good place to start that everyone on this forums can agree to as a very good anime?
Well, you can't please everybody so there's bound to be a portion of unsatisfied viewers. To help us help you out, it would be better if you could cite your own preferences instead. Are you into action, hard core action *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*, deep shit, shallow laughs, out of this world fantasy, physics defying sci-fi, mature issues, religious symbolism, surrealism, mind f*ck, blood, gore, sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei, or what?

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>
Old 2007-06-16, 19:05   Link #3
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackxp View Post
So what is a good place to start that everyone on this forums can agree to as a very good anime? I didnt see a rating or number of times downloaded thing on the site so i could not use that to figure out what was the most popular. Also this maybe a dumb question but is it all subtitled?
Yes, most of all are subtitled. That's what we call fansubs. It's subbed by fans and for fans.

Hmm, it'd be quite hard to recommend something that you will find it good since you didn't tell us what genre you'd like. But anyway, here's my recommendation...

Death Note - This series is pretty good. Story plot and animation quality is very good, so i think this will be the best for beginner.
Kanon (2006) - If you like romance story than this should be in your first queue.
Naruto - Well, i think this is kinda overrated but looks like all beginner would like it, if you like action.
Bleach - Comment is about the same as above.
Fate/Stay Night - More mature action story.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - MUCH more mature horror/mystery series.

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Old 2007-06-16, 19:52   Link #4
Blackxp

Hmm well,

(Dont kill for spelling mistakes plz XD)
I enjoy Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Inyuyasha, and Definately Ghost in Shell (really enjoy that).

Hmm i really enjoy a in depth plot, like how the final fantasy game series is. Also enjoy alot of action like how trigun was, but not all serious i like how trigun had some comical parts to it, yet very serious at some points.

Comes down to...

Ghost in Shell (love the action and overall sci-fi seriousness of it)

Trigun (action, seriousness)

Love in dept plots and stuff, oh and... SEX as stated by the first response XD oh and rock and roll of course. jk XD

Just Nothing Horror based, (although i did enjoy Trinity Blood, which had an enjoyable plot and action) No Gore, intense blood (i mean like killbill blood)

Nothing too cute also, since i didnt know what was good i tried trial and error and
Kirarin Revolution I think it was was a tad too cute, idk though kinda watched the intro and skipped the the middle then gave up. Perhaps its a indept action packed thriller?

Anyways anymore help would be gr8, im gonna dl the ones that were already suggested. Thanks for all the help that has already put forth and any further help given.
Old 2007-06-16, 19:59   Link #5
Blackxp

Just realized after some research that you can not download from that and its just an general information site

Only issue with alot of that anime is its Licenced right? I was trying to find some unlicenced that i can download for free from animesuki. Although if there is a method to aquire some of the anime above legaly, ill be happy to listen =).
Old 2007-06-16, 20:43   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Legally - buy DVDs; browse around a place like www.rightstuf.com and read this thread.

Fansubs - read this to see what that means; series linked from www.animesuki.com are unlicensed in Region 1 (North America)

Fansubs are generally distributed using BitTorrent. If you don't know how to use a BT client, read this.

The anime shown on [adult swim] is a pretty narrow selection of what's available. Generally they stick to established shows in the "shounen" (boy) genres that have a lot of fighting and such. There are many other types of anime that don't get such wide distribution. Browse the suggestions thread here and see what else you might like.

Most of those shows aren't ones that I find appealing, but among current unlicensed series, I'd recommend watching a few episodes of Claymore if you don't mind that the protagonist is a woman.

Sci-Fi is a pretty popular genre so many of the best titles are licensed. Here are some suggestions that you'll need to watch on DVDs:
Noein (still 2 DVDs to go)
Ergo Proxy (probably the best choice if you like Ghost in the Shell; not yet complete)
Planetes (complete on DVD)
RahXephon (complete)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (complete)
Elfen Lied (complete)

Mouse over my signature for some other suggestions.
Old 2007-06-17, 01:06   Link #7
miaka

Busou Renkin - shounen action
Kekkaishi
D.Grayman
Hunter x Hunter - old but nice action adventure series
tales of symphonia - game based oav
Old 2007-06-17, 02:31   Link #8
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Keep in mind everything you've seen on TV is old. It takes at least a year, usually more like 2-3 for shows to hit TV after they're licensed. The stuff listed here is all currently airing in Japan. There's a lot to choose from.

See http://www.animesuki.com/series.php for the list of series AS has info on (click the series title to go to its dedicated page, showing all the episodes by whichever groups subbed it, as well as anidb, ANN and wikipedia entries; the three best resources to find out if you'd like a series. AniDB links give a general summary, an image and the list of episodes. ANN has full cast/crew and production details. Wikipedia links tend to have full breakdowns (thus spoilers) on series, thus should be read with care.

Here's a couple suggestions:
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1020.html Dennou Coil. Sci-fi. weird cyber-reality meets real world. Very promising so far, though only a few episodes are out.

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/999.html El Cazador. Action in a desert setting. Vaguely Trigun-esque. Bounty hunters and a couple people with special powers.

Few others have been suggested already. Otherwise, browse the series page I linked and find stuff for yourself. ^^
Old 2007-06-17, 11:44   Link #9
Blackxp

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Yeah and i did realize the Licenced stuff on Adult Swim was pretty narrow, just didnt know where to start was all.

I am currently downloading Claymore as my first anime, good choice?

Im using Azureus, was using Bit tornado or something and it was much more simple yet very slow and i could not wait 22 days to watch XD. Azureus is much faster it seems, but seems a little too complex and mainstreme for me. Just want to download not worry about all kinds of other features it has.

Anyways if there is an even faster one ^ please inform me XD.

Ok Ill start claymore and see how that goes for now and keep trying many of the ones suggested to me so far.

Thank you again everyone.
Old 2007-06-17, 15:08   Link #10
Spark

Claymore is a fun one I think you'll like it. Good choice!

I personally use uTorrent (the stand alone client). Dunno if it's faster or anything, but it definitely is super easy, and it gives you a ton of info. :3
Old 2007-06-17, 16:00   Link #11
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Since I don't feel like posting it twice...

Quote:
I am currently downloading Claymore as my first anime, good choice?
Not bad. I suggest that you also try giving the manga a shot though to get a more complete picture.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>
Closed Thread