AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-20, 18:59   Link #1
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Anime club help

Okay, this year I'm looking for new anime for my school's anime club early. Before I start anyone reading this should know that the club adviser is really strict when it comes to cleanliness; last time I came here looking for help more than one person asked if she was crazy. Anyway, last year we watched Gatekeepers, which was almost perfect except for the upskirts, and the suckyness. The club had to choose between that and "Angelic Layer", gatekeepers won unanimously. This year I'll be recommending Azumanga Daioh ( we should be able to ignore the cursing in the english version), possibly Sakura wars (I'm still watching the first DVD).

A little about the members: We have one Naruto fanboy, everyone watches Bleach, most people like the chibi vampire manga (anyone who recommends other work by that author will be hurt), The Ragnarok manga is a hit, everyone is too lazy to read subtitles, and action/comedy seem to be the preferred genres.

We need an anime between 24 and 26 episodes long so we can finish it in the year, and it has to be licensed and fully dubbed in the US. So, Animesuki, what can you recommend?
Old 2007-06-20, 19:06   Link #2
UPR

Beck:Mongolian Chop Squad the perfect choice meets every recomandation Licensed, dubbed and 26 ep and it's about music even better it does a romance aspect but don't worry this is serious more slice-of-life, with some comedy, drama and all the goos aspect like i said it's perfect meeting every single aspect

if you need more pm me but im a romance genre guy so if dont mind don't hesitate to ask
Old 2007-06-20, 19:30   Link #3
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
A little about the members: We have one Naruto fanboy, everyone watches Bleach, most people like the chibi vampire manga (anyone who recommends other work by that author will be hurt), The Ragnarok manga is a hit, everyone is too lazy to read subtitles, and action/comedy seem to be the preferred genres.
Geez, and I thought finding hidden gems was what most anime clubs try to do.

Anyway, looks like it's mostly teen/shounen fans there. One thing you could do is check lists of highly rated series like the ones at Anime News Network, then check the genres and see which ones might suit your tastes.

At the moment, the only sure-please that I could recommend is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Nothing too deep but not shallow either and I don't think any teenager (or older) would be able to keep a straight face with Kyon's sarcastic narration. It's only 14 episodes long (for now) but among the more recent series, this isn't one that you could afford to miss.

"Unique." -Nagato

I can't do much more than that because I avoid series like those (Naruto, Bleach, Ragnarok) like the plague and I'm more familiar with manga and seinen titles.

Meh.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-06-20 at 20:56.
Old 2007-06-20, 19:33   Link #4
kayos
RETIRED

Beck is a little to serious, kind of dry for fans of Naruto and Bleach.

Try School Rumble, hilarious school comedy (also packed with action scenes and romance). It's two seasons so far.
Old 2007-06-20, 19:46   Link #5
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez rocks View Post
The club had to choose between that and "Angelic Layer", gatekeepers won unanimously.
Too bad. I think Angelic Layer is a much better anime, but I suppose the "kiddie" image it projects might turn off high school students.

Quote:
This year I'll be recommending Azumanga Daioh ( we should be able to ignore the cursing in the english version), possibly Sakura wars (I'm still watching the first DVD).
My nod would go to Azumanga Daioh but Sakura Wars isn't bad either, if you are looking for a more action oriented show.

Quote:
most people like the chibi vampire manga (anyone who recommends other work by that author will be hurt),
So does that mean you would not be interested in the Karin anime?

Quote:
action/comedy seem to be the preferred genres.
If they like vampires and want action/comedy, perhaps Moon Phase might be a good choice? It's about a young vampire who escapes her father's castle and ends up living with a young man and his grandfather in Japan. Some good action and genuinly funny stuff in that one. It's 26 episodes and I think the final DVD was just recently released in the US.

If you don't want more vampires, then my first pick for action and comedy would be Full Metal Panic! The story revolves around a young mecha pilot who is assigned to guard a pretty high school student who may have information on some vital technology. It's an amazing combination of humor and action. Definetly one you should see if you are any kind of anime fan. It's 24 episodes and available dubbed in english.
Old 2007-06-20, 20:07   Link #6
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Beck is a little to serious, kind of dry for fans of Naruto and Bleach.
maybe that's your thought because i am also a fan of Bleach and Naruto so i have to disagree with you there and Beck is one of my favorites anime and then the manga also as it continues much deeper
Old 2007-06-20, 20:47   Link #7
kayos
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
maybe that's your thought because i am also a fan of Bleach and Naruto so i have to disagree with you there and Beck is one of my favorites anime and then the manga also as it continues much deeper
Aww, don't cry... I'm sorry I didn't mean to attack your suggestion.

Quote:
action/comedy seem to be the preferred genres.
That was the reason for my response. I never said Beck was a bad anime, I just meant it was a little too serious on the slice of life and chasing your dreams area.
Old 2007-06-20, 21:12   Link #8
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

What about Fumoffu? Although it's not quite up to 24 or 26 episodes but I thought it was funny

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-06-20, 21:29   Link #9
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
We need an anime between 24 and 26 episodes long so we can finish it in the year, and it has to be licensed and fully dubbed in the US.
IMO, you're better off watching 2 series each with half that length or maybe even a couple of OAVs instead. At least you won't have to wait throughout the entire schoolyear for a proper conclusion.

Quote:
Okay, this year I'm looking for new anime for my school's anime club early. Before I start anyone reading this should know that the club adviser is really strict when it comes to cleanliness; last time I came here looking for help more than one person asked if she was crazy.
Since you need your moderator's approval, you might as well tell us what level you're in so that we may at least have an idea about what should be "acceptable" by school standards.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>
Old 2007-06-21, 10:34   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
We need an anime between 24 and 26 episodes long so we can finish it in the year, and it has to be licensed and fully dubbed in the US. So, Animesuki, what can you recommend?
That eliminates some obvious choices like School Rumble or Haruhi, neither one of which is complete on R1 DVDs. I'm looking through my current RightStuf catalog to see what else I might recommend that is licensed and complete. All of these are in the 20+ episode range:

Mecha/Fantasy/Adventure
RahXephon
Neon Genesis Evangelion (I prefer RahXephon myself)
Scrapped Princess
Witch Hunter Robin
Full Metal Panic - season one

Comedy
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale noche Guu (might still be missing the last couple of episodes, but they're not nearly as good as the earlier ones)
Full Metal Panic: FUMOFFU

It doesn't sound like there are many romance viewers in your group (any girls at all?), but if that is an option, I'd recommend His and Her Circumstances ("Kare Kano"). As a warning, though, late in the series two teen-aged characters have sex, but it's very implied and nothing is shown.

Only you can determine the tastes of your fellow club members, but I'd wonder if a slice-of-life comedy about girls (Azumanga Daioh) will be a hit with your Bleach/Naruto viewers.
Old 2007-06-21, 11:52   Link #11
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

You should probably use Amazon.com to cross check their age ratings as rightstuf.com can make mistakes.

Short series (up to 13 episodes)
Someday's Dreamer
Gunparade March
Paranoia Agent
Gunbuster 2
Gunbuster
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU

Long series (24-26 episodes)
Gilgamesh
Rahxephon
Trinity Blood
Pani Poni Dash!
Noein
Otogi Zoshi
Escaflowne TV
Gasaraki
Full Metal Panic!
R.O.D. the TV
Witch Hunter Robin
Martian Successor Nadesico

But it is pretty hard to avoid sexual type fanservice (panty shots etc.) in anime imo.

Last edited by orion; 2007-06-21 at 12:26.
Old 2007-06-21, 18:16   Link #12
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Wow... lot's of feed back... let's start with responses on the top of the page first.
Quote:
Geez, and I thought finding hidden gems was what most anime clubs try to do.
Well, if we could watch unlicensed anime (I.E if I had my way), we would have plenty... I'll be looking into The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and look at the future release dates. In other news: Code Geass is #27! Woot!
Quote:
Try School Rumble, hilarious school comedy (also packed with action scenes and romance). It's two seasons so far.
Drama, Romance, AND Shounen in the same anime? I've gotta see this. But does the first season have an acceptable ending? I doubt that the new members the year after this will want to start an anime right in the middle.
Quote:
Too bad. I think Angelic Layer is a much better anime, but I suppose the "kiddie" image it projects might turn off high school students.
That and the one-hit kills got really old, really fast.
Quote:
So does that mean you would not be interested in the Karin anime?
Uh... the first half after that, Yuna Kagesaki's ex-hentai artist roots started to show (seriously, what's up with her Grandma?)
Quote:
IMO, you're better off watching 2 series each with half that length or maybe even a couple of OAVs instead. At least you won't have to wait throughout the entire school year for a proper conclusion.
That could work too, any suggestions?
Quote:
Since you need your moderator's approval, you might as well tell us what level you're in so that we may at least have an idea about what should be "acceptable" by school standards.
Well, we're high school level, but the adviser likes to keep things really clean. We started ROD early last year, but after the first episode the adviser decided she didn't want to show the rest, which, after watching the rest in my own time, is kind of understandable. Here's how the adviser thinks: If the principal walks in one random meeting, and sits down and decides to watch, she shouldn't be in the least concerned; if she is worried, the anime isn't clean enough. Strangely, the VP has walked in once.
Quote:
It doesn't sound like there are many romance viewers in your group (any girls at all?), but if that is an option, I'd recommend His and Her Circumstances ("Kare Kano"). As a warning, though, late in the series two teen-aged characters have sex, but it's very implied and nothing is shown.

Only you can determine the tastes of your fellow club members, but I'd wonder if a slice-of-life comedy about girls (Azumanga Daioh) will be a hit with your Bleach/Naruto viewers.
There are two girls, but thay have no problem with action/comedy, and there are so many more boys they get drowned out. As for whether or not my club would like Azumanga Daioh... Imagine a room full of five year olds with ADD, fist fulls of pixie sticks, and a mild coke habit. That's them. Something tells me Sakaki's boobs will be a hit(8 Centimeters?!).
Let's see... orion: Gilgamesh, Pani Poni Dash, Gasaraki, Gunparade, and Martian Successor Nadesico are all title I'll look more into, the "Older Children" age rating on the last one is also interesting. I'll take another look at which hunt robin, but it didn't look great the last time I saw it.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help you guys have given. Somehow I managed to forget the Full Metal Panic series; the club watched The Second Raid under a different adviser last year (note the signature \/ ).I guess it might also help if I gave a list of unlicensed anime I would suggest for the club: Hayate No Gotoku, Busou Renkin, History's strongest disciple Kenichi, Seto no Hanayome(maybe), The Third, and Venus Versus Virus. Thanks again for your help!

P.S. The Japanese love Pantsu.
Closed Thread