AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-28, 21:15   Link #41
Oxtail

I went to see the movie this weekend and it really is a masterpiece. That they were able to create a cute romance with basically no dialogue is quite an achievement. What's even more amazing is that they made you care so much for the adorable Wall*E and the tsundere EVE even though one is a ugly box of rust and the other is a giant egg-shaped iPod. It's pretty obvious to anyone who sees the movie that it's a cut above the more recent Pixar films and with talk already of a picture of the year nomination for this movie, I find it hard to believe it's going to be a flop.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 22:08   Link #42
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
I went to see the movie this weekend and it really is a masterpiece. That they were able to create a cute romance with basically no dialogue is quite an achievement.
see this is what makes me think this is gonna make it big, I figured there was very little, if not none at all dialogue and I find that very interesting. It makes what WALL-E does all the more enjoyable cause thats all ur paying attention to.
My first thought when I saw the trailer was there was no dialogue only WALL-E's little squeaks and hums
Old 2008-06-28, 23:37   Link #43
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Indeed, I loved this movie and it is currently my favorite Pixar film up to date.
Spoiler for :

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 00:54   Link #44
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Well Wall-E's off to a good start
Old 2008-06-29, 19:42   Link #45
james0246

Sad news everyone, Wall-E has, despite its strong opening, fallen well short of what analysts have expected it to make (see here for a rough esimation of the weekend grosses). Many thought that the film would make 80+ million this past weekend, instead it only made 62 million, far short of even pessimistic expectations. Added to that, with Hancock, Meet Dave, Dark Knight, and a plrthora of other adult and family-friendly films coming out this week and later, it looks likle Wall-E might become Pixar's first actual domestic failure: the film has to make at least 180 million in America to cover its costs, and while it will undoubtedly go on to make 500 million world wide, if it can not make the 180 million in America...well, let's just say that this is bad news. This was a great film, eaisily up there with (if not surpassing) Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story (my two previous favourite Pixar films), so it is sad that the film is not as big as I and many other fans hoped.

In other news, Wanted, sadly enough, did superb this weekend (making 51 million while being budgeted for 75 million), and, it goes to show, that even mature comic-book miniseries turned into films can make a lot of money (Wanted was actually a pretty good action film, so it is somewhat understandable why it did so well.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 20:20   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good fscking god..... ALL the movies this summer will "fall short of $$$ expectations". In case the insulated poofy movie execs haven't noticed --- gasoline is $4.50/gal in the US and $10/gal in much of the rest of the world. That is punching holes in every single form of non-necessity spending. Restaurants are having a terrible summer. Tourism is falling flat. Starbucks, for the first time in its history, has taken a downturn.

Jobs are actually starting to return to the US from overseas because it costs too much to ship product.

If Wall-E is examined in a vacuum by the analysts, then the analysts need to be taken out and shot for such pathetic work.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 21:32   Link #47
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Good fscking god..... ALL the movies this summer will "fall short of $$$ expectations". In case the insulated poofy movie execs haven't noticed --- gasoline is $4.50/gal in the US and $10/gal in much of the rest of the world. That is punching holes in every single form of non-necessity spending. Restaurants are having a terrible summer. Tourism is falling flat. Starbucks, for the first time in its history, has taken a downturn.

Jobs are actually starting to return to the US from overseas because it costs too much to ship product.

If Wall-E is examined in a vacuum by the analysts, then the analysts need to be taken out and shot for such pathetic work.
Actually, the films expected to do big have, more or less, done big. The only other film that was expected to be big, but semi-failed, was Prince Caspian, and that is only a partial failure (it made profit, just not as much as the executives hoped for). (Love Gure was just released, so I am not going to make any firm predictions concerning it.) Otherwise, this summer movie season has been very good so far (Iron-Man and Indiana Jones have made over half a billion in America so far, and at least a billion worldwide), partially do to the fact that people are confined to smaller areas of travel, so they make do by seeing movies at home (DVD and cable sales were up, last time I checked (addmittdly that was a few months ago)) or seeing movies in the theatre (which is mostly up). So, when a movie does not do as well as it is predicted to, there is something going on.

My guess is that the children simply did not get into Wall-E as much as they could, and the socio-political message of the last 1/3 of the film was considered a little too preachy by some parents. Additionally, Wanted drew in a great deal of the 20-30 crowd, as well as many of the male teenage audience who would have probably seen Wall-E, choose to see Angelina Jolie instead .

Just to clarify why Wall-E falling short matters, it is possible that future Pixar films will not be as...artistic Wall-E or Ratatouille. Rather, it is possible that the future Pixar films could be more...normal, catering toward a more average audience. This is, of course, a worst case scenario, but it is possibility that scares me a little (and I am sorry if I have been coming across as doom-and-gloom poster ). Hopefully, strong word-of-mouth will push Wall-E to a high second weekend gross, I know that I plan on telling as many friends as I can e-mail to see Wall-E during this upcoming week).

Last edited by james0246; 2008-06-29 at 21:43.
Old 2008-06-29, 22:02   Link #48
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Gas ain't the only problem. It's just some people may not be enthusiased by Wall-E as much as others. I want to watch it, but I don't think it's one of those movies that you'd want to go to the theatres and watch twice.

I do want to watch it btw, but I got to watch Hancock on July 2nd, so..

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 23:47   Link #49
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Great Movie, I personally highly recommend it!
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 02:17   Link #50
Tommy
Mr. Prince

After watching this movie all I can say is wow... In fact if for some reason anyone doesn't like Wall-E after watching it, then I'm sorry you actually have bad taste in movies, end of story.

Hell it has a 97% on Rottentomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wall_e/
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 15:25   Link #51
Oxtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Sad news everyone, Wall-E has, despite its strong opening, fallen well short of what analysts have expected it to make (see here for a rough esimation of the weekend grosses). Many thought that the film would make 80+ million this past weekend, instead it only made 62 million, far short of even pessimistic expectations.

Who exactly expected it to make $80 million in the first weekend? No Pixar movie has EVER made that much.

You seem very invested in labeling Wall-E as a failure and I'm not exactly sure why.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 16:13   Link #52
james0246

Quote:
Who exactly expected it to make $80 million in the first weekend? No Pixar movie has EVER made that much.
Many analysts expected the film to make above 70 million (which is the highest opening for a Pixar film so far (The Incredibles)), so the 75 to 80 million figure I have mentioned has itself been mentioned many times by other analysts (of course you shouldn't just trust me, doing a quick search, here is a website listing many of my claims). This movie was hyped more than any previous Pixar film, with an advertisement budget somewhere around 50 million dollars, so the fact that the film only grossed 1/3 of its total budget in its opening weekend is a bit baffling and disconcerning.

Quote:
You seem very invested in labeling Wall-E as a failure and I'm not exactly sure why.
Please do not take offense by the "doom-n-gloom" quality of my posts (I guess it is my fault for trying to discuss, in an Anime based forum no less, real-world problems that films face when they are released). I greatly respect Pixar, and I think Wall-E is one of their best films if not their best film (I have never once called the film a failure, and I never will). The film will eaisily do 500 million worldwide (I expect that the Japanese with their fetish for cute robots will love it, and the Europeans will love all of the fat "Americans" (I am joking here, please do not take offense by the generalization)), but American production companies (Disney, in this case) are only concerned with Domestic Box Office revenue.

Box Office numbers are important because they stipulate the possibilities of future films. Specifically, it could become harder for Pixar to make these experimental somewhat esoteric features (like Wall-E and Ratatouille) if Disney thinks that the films will not make money in America. I greatly fear this prospect.

Unlike Ratatouille, which had little to no competition in its opening weeks (and consequently why starting off with a small box-office weekend turned out okay), Wall-E faces stiff competition in its second, third, and fourth weeks, honestly, I can't help but feel that the end of June right before the July 4th weekend (which is always dominated by action films) was a bad time to launch Wall-E. Unless Hancock greatly fails to impress (which, it seems that it might), Wall-E will have an extraordinarily tough second week (where it might only make 30 million), and might soon disappear. I do not want this to happen to such a great film.

But, to get this thread back on track, let me ask everyone: How many times have you seen Wall-E? I have seen it twice, and I might see it a third time this weekend with another set of friends.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-07-01 at 16:27.
Old 2008-07-01, 19:09   Link #53
Mollfie

I really really want to see this! People I've talked to who have seen it absolutly loved it.
Mollfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 22:39   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Guess I'll have to go see it this week .... my son and his crowd went to see it (late teens bracket) and proclaimed it possibly the best Pixar film they'd ever seen.

I guess I just have trouble with analysts who think the same demographic typically go for "Wanted", "Hancock", and "Wall-E" and I'm well aware just how short-sighted and frankly dumb-as-mud corporate executives can be (corporations tend to thrive on momentum and inertia more than any insightful leadership).

I'm interested in seeing Hancock as well, of course... but "Wanted" looks like a waste of celluloid - she'd have done better just reprising Lara Croft
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 13:59   Link #55
solomon

Move Execs expect WAYYYYY too much from movies these days.

Plus it's true despite pixar having good crossover appeal, I believe the audience is primarily under 14.

Plus the trailers for television are just god awful.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 15:05   Link #56
OMchan
オムちゃん

Went to see it two days ago and I absolutely loved it. Like some have already said, it was an amazing movie despite having very little dialogue (especially the first half). Man, Wall E's antics were just too cute, lol.

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 14:31   Link #57
nanafan
horo fan

i saw the preview for it, i thought it was really cute, i think i am going to have to see it soon. kinda reminds me of those shorts pixar had that was shown before toy story, those were cute.

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 21:45   Link #58
Kokoro

When I first saw the previews for Wall-E I initially thought 'wow.. this looks really stupid'. A story with practically no dialogue about robots falling in love? Give me a break. But let me tell you - Pixar somehow manages to come through every time. I just saw the movie a few days ago and overall I was very impressed. Even with the lack of dialogue, this movie had my attention the entire time. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

On a side note, the animated short at the beginning was hilarious.
Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:20   Link #59
X207
Gamyūsa

^
its true for me also this movie turned out to be quite a sleeper. the initial promo didnt really atch too much of my attention. lol the short animation at the beggining had me laughing my ass off. of the few short animations ive seen, id say that was the best one ive seen.

that movie really does deserve 6 stars. im impressed such a movie with less that usual dialogue turned out so great. it was funny as hell, its showed great values ie maintaining the environment and a great plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Guess I'll have to go see it this week .... my son and his crowd went to see it (late teens bracket) and proclaimed it possibly the best Pixar film they'd ever seen.

I guess I just have trouble with analysts who think the same demographic typically go for "Wanted", "Hancock", and "Wall-E" and I'm well aware just how short-sighted and frankly dumb-as-mud corporate executives can be (corporations tend to thrive on momentum and inertia more than any insightful leadership).

I'm interested in seeing Hancock as well, of course... but "Wanted" looks like a waste of celluloid - she'd have done better just reprising Lara Croft
thats good to hear, i found it cheesy the second after the first promo is saw ended. i might watch it one day when it comes on dvd, or maybe i'll just ingore it. lol curve the bullets, its just as useful as gunkata. all flash and no useful effect watsoever
Old 2008-07-05, 18:52   Link #60
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This was quite an experience for a Pixar movie. By all means, they have always been great, but this one definitely stands out. I recommend it to everyone.

Spoiler for About the movie:
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote