AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-08, 04:59   Link #361
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
Well, I watch more anime/manga now than ever before, but that's mostly due to stress and lack of stamina for gaming since working at a repair shop is pretty stressful and you just want something as a reliever without really moving around much.

Also, I used to be the kind of guy who chased girls and had a nice social life. Got burned out and not really thinking of getting a romantic relationship with anyone anytime soon or ever, and I'm definitely not having kids. I'm not stable enough for that

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 11:37   Link #362
AbridgedTroll

Well.Anime these days mostly boring and cliche (that's true),but some also great.Fan services and overused things like annoying tsundere girls,boobs shots started to annoy me and I eventually bored out.But there are good ones as well though

And I think that I'm not the only one around here who bored out of Harem genre.
AbridgedTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 11:58   Link #363
MewWorldChoose
As Based As Kawaii Can Be

Send a message via Skype™ to MewWorldChoose
It's kind of odd to see this kind of topic on here, from my perspective. For the longest time, I was so anti-anime. I don't know why I was like that, I guess I always had a bad view of it from some of the fanbases. When I saw a few episodes of Dragon Drive and the majority of Lucky Star, however, I thought they were both pretty good. I kinda swerved and found a love for all the boring slice of life animes as opposed to the action-oriented ones. It just works for me, I guess. I could imagine myself growing out of it a few more years down the road. For now, I'm going to enjoy every minute I can get and just enjoy my tastes.
MewWorldChoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 12:30   Link #364
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewWorldChoose View Post
It's kind of odd to see this kind of topic on here, from my perspective. For the longest time, I was so anti-anime. I don't know why I was like that, I guess I always had a bad view of it from some of the fanbases. When I saw a few episodes of Dragon Drive and the majority of Lucky Star, however, I thought they were both pretty good. I kinda swerved and found a love for all the boring slice of life animes as opposed to the action-oriented ones. It just works for me, I guess. I could imagine myself growing out of it a few more years down the road. For now, I'm going to enjoy every minute I can get and just enjoy my tastes.
You're not particularly alone in that regard. I avoided anime for years simply because I thought it was just "bang, boom, and shouting" (young boy action stuff). I wasn't until I discovered all the rest of anime (comedy, romance (seinen or shoujo), the quirky things you won't see very often like Spice&Wolf) that I got interested in the first place.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 12:42   Link #365
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Growing out of anime? Well, let me ask:
- can you grow out of books?
- can you grow out of movies?
- can you grow out of card games?

No, you can't "grow out" of anime. You may not enjoy it anymore, but that has nothing to do with age.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 13:24   Link #366
cyth
ふひひ

I think it does have something to do with it ... With age, our views, tastes and responsibilities change. I stopped watching TV programming because anime was far more interesting to me when I was a teenager. So I kind of grew out of TV, you could say. I found it childish, manipulative and anti-intellectual, more so than cartoons from Japan! That had everything to do with trying to expand my horizons and grow as a person. Anime, popular literature, movies, and even card games can only offer so much. If other things were to start fulfilling my life or satisfying my needs to greater extent, then I can totally see myself growing out of anime, no ill feelings attached. I just don't see that happening at the moment.
Old 2013-08-08, 15:18   Link #367
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
You can certainly grow out of certain anime as you grow out of its demographic. But an entire medium? It'd either mean the entire medium was targeted at the young (lol sterotypes) or the medium is uniformly terrible. That could happen but is that what most are aiming at?

This stuff naturally happens over time. Problem is when people start being tryhards and associate this with a positive connotation by noting that what they left behind had a negative connotation. It's like they need evidence that are now mature and sophisticated individuals, except nobody really cares. Nobody cares about that. Not even your mommy.

It's only natural for some people to grow more cynical over something when exposed to it too much. But that doesn't really necessarily make you better, especially if it's the tunnel visioned cynicism that leads you to write nonsensical rants that bore people. A better kind of douchebaggery would be to not actually watch most anime, but make fun of people with the former attitude.

Oh well, at least it's not bad as the sour grapes I see in like, every hobby, especially video games, where people feel compelled to go:

Spoiler for generic leaving rant where X is the subject matter:

There, I've saved you all time.
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-08-08 at 15:29.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 16:12   Link #368
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You can certainly grow out of certain anime as you grow out of its demographic. But an entire medium? It'd either mean the entire medium was targeted at the young (lol sterotypes) or the medium is uniformly terrible. That could happen but is that what most are aiming at?

This stuff naturally happens over time. Problem is when people start being tryhards and associate this with a positive connotation by noting that what they left behind had a negative connotation. It's like they need evidence that are now mature and sophisticated individuals, except nobody really cares. Nobody cares about that. Not even your mommy.

It's only natural for some people to grow more cynical over something when exposed to it too much. But that doesn't really necessarily make you better, especially if it's the tunnel visioned cynicism that leads you to write nonsensical rants that bore people. A better kind of douchebaggery would be to not actually watch most anime, but make fun of people with the former attitude.

Oh well, at least it's not bad as the sour grapes I see in like, every hobby, especially video games, where people feel compelled to go:

Spoiler for generic leaving rant where X is the subject matter:

There, I've saved you all time.
I can think of a few people like that off the top of my head. Sometimes I really wonder why they don't just give up if everything is so "horrible" according to their tastes

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 16:22   Link #369
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The anime Inu x Boku SS presented a intresting outlook on this. I think it about explains everything why people do that. (light spoilers obviously)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 20:42   Link #370
VTHokiePride

I stopped watching anime when I was in middle school at the time Toonami wasn't showing during the daytime. I got back into it when I had ACL surgery on my knee which kept me out of doing most of the things I wanted to do. Anime made the first few weeks of post surgery bearable.
Old 2013-08-08, 22:21   Link #371
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Growing out of anime? Well, let me ask:
- can you grow out of books? Yes who can read anything besides picture books
- can you grow out of movies? Yes just so many dumb hero movies now a days
- can you grow out of card games? every thing beside poker or black jack

No, you can't "grow out" of anime. You may not enjoy it anymore, but that has nothing to do with age.
One can grow out of every thing do to age who really going to watch anime when there old and cant hear
Old 2013-08-09, 00:56   Link #372
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
One can grow out of every thing do to age who really going to watch anime when there old and cant hear
Soooort of missing the point there.
Old 2013-08-09, 02:45   Link #373
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Most anime is catered to teenagers. Literally every single anime these days is focused on high school kids being the center of the world. I think it makes sense that a lot of people would "grow" out of anime. We're no longer young, our concerns in life are not the same as they were 5-10 years ago. It might be interesting to us when we are kids, but not so much when we are older.

There will be shows that break the mold of course, and we could hope to find more of these gems... But the overwhelming target audience in anime is undoubtedly a young one. I can't honestly believe I'll be as much of an anime fan as I am now in 10 years.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 03:08   Link #374
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Most anime is catered to teenagers. Literally every single anime these days is focused on high school kids being the center of the world. I think it makes sense that a lot of people would "grow" out of anime. We're no longer young, our concerns in life are not the same as they were 5-10 years ago. It might be interesting to us when we are kids, but not so much when we are older.

There will be shows that break the mold of course, and we could hope to find more of these gems... But the overwhelming target audience in anime is undoubtedly a young one. I can't honestly believe I'll be as much of an anime fan as I am now in 10 years.
As an example, I was a latecomer age-wise to anime, so for a few years I found the harem type "choose the girl" romances entertaining. Almost immediately though, I started preferring the unusual ones (e.g. Kanon, where most of the routes are simply solving the girl's problem). Then I started circling around seinen romances or shoujo (usually 1:1 or triangle affairs) since those often had a more "adult" level of character development. Usually, the ones based on light novels were hits for me (Toradora, Spice&Wolf, etc) but there were occasional derails (Ore Imouto initially appeared to be a romance with one character while solving a relationship problem with a sibling --- wow, I misread that premise o.O)

That's kind of a sliver of how one doesn't "grow out of anime" but the simpler series of a subgenre may no longer appeal after you've seen all the matrix combinations or arranged cliches. The problem I'm having is that the current economy and resulting 12eps series don't leave me with too many choices for well-plotted romances.

My other major interest - straight comedy, seems to be in short supply lately as well.
Old 2013-08-09, 03:14   Link #375
Calca
Brina!

Regardless of the medium, I will always be attracted to a good story and good characters.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 04:08   Link #376
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

Not sure if this is true. I think the high school settings would cater a slight older audience rather than teenagers, because for some reason the high school days are the most romanticised moment of their lives. That was still the moment when they were more carefree before they went to an university or started working

Last edited by hyl; 2013-08-09 at 04:29. Reason: typo
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 04:17   Link #377
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What Hyl said ... in Japan, 20-something aged salarymen (or office ladies) often look back at high school with great nostalgia, the last moments of a bit of freedom in life. For some reason, college doesn't evoke this (which is odd since it is actually apparently a huge lark once you pass the entrance exams so you'd think more of that).

Many viewers of anime are dead tired young salary folks who just want something shiny to watch as they crash for the night.
Old 2013-08-09, 04:46   Link #378
cyth
ふひひ

Many doesn't equal majority. The majority of late night anime viewership consists of middle and high school students. The high school setting caters to both demographics, but to say anime is a salaryman's pasttime is overly emphasized IMO. It's the same shit everywhere else on the planet: as people get older they lose interest in cartoons, no matter how enjoyable they used to find them.
Old 2013-08-09, 04:56   Link #379
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whatever -- follow the fattest wallets at the end of the day and that's who the industry caters to.
Old 2013-08-09, 07:36   Link #380
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Many doesn't equal majority. The majority of late night anime viewership consists of middle and high school students. The high school setting caters to both demographics, but to say anime is a salaryman's pasttime is overly emphasized IMO. It's the same shit everywhere else on the planet: as people get older they lose interest in cartoons, no matter how enjoyable they used to find them.
I don't know. Airing shows intended for teenagers in the middle of the night seems pretty weird to me.

That being said, I see where Reckoner is coming from. The domination of high school kids in anime is truly incredible. Plus, when anime has explicitly otaku characters, those characters themselves tend to be teenagers (i.e. consider Ore no Imouto).