AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-04, 04:56   Link #1
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Change in opinion towards HiME/Otome

Anyone had a change of heart regarding HiME or Otome after watching it multiple times? Myself, I loved HiME before, but now I think HiME is getting depressing to rewatch time after time. What about you? Anyone else had a large paradigm shift with regards to either of these titles upon rewatching?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2007-02-04, 05:04   Link #2
Jayjs20

Send a message via AIM to Jayjs20
Not really. Hime is still jaw-droppingly epic and the best thing to come out of Otome is still Zwei.
Old 2007-02-04, 11:37   Link #3
solarknight123

Yeah, i agree. When i re-watch hime, i still get excited over the cool parts like the child attacks, himes vs. aylissa and miyu, or crazy shizuru lol.
Old 2007-02-04, 13:22   Link #4
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Your are absolutely right, Hime is awesome than Otome, that's why we should a new season instead of a new series. But Mai-Otome is still good and we got a few weeks left until the second episode of Zwei, I'm still waiting for what Sunrise to unveil on the Big Bang Project. Maybe they'll surprise us on the second episode of ZWEI!
Old 2007-02-04, 15:27   Link #5
Kensuke

I'm currently rewatching HiME, waiting for the 6th DVD to arrive...
I like it even more than the first time, I notice a lot more small details now that I have watched HiME and Otome.
Plus, I'm sure that after Arika's appearence in HiME, I want to rewatch Otome.
Old 2007-02-04, 17:41   Link #6
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk Send a message via Skype™ to smeg4brainsuk
I prefer Otome tbh. Probably because i watched it before Hime and im a huge Nina fanatic ^^

But watching both series again kinda has me appreciate them more at the cost of the 1st time WOW factor.
Old 2007-02-05, 17:37   Link #7
Fukiri
Lazy ass

Send a message via MSN to Fukiri
Hime inochi!! Hime for life! Ò_Ó

I'll always prefer Hime to Otome. And the funniest part is that I also watched Otome first and when I saw Hime I immediately thought that the story and the plot was a lot better and a lot less annoying. But this is only me talking. Even though Hime had a much depressing story side in the end Otome was the one which made me depressed when I looked at it as a Hime sequel (or alternate universe). Having seen Otome first, the sole thing that shocked me was seeing Midori Hime version.
But even the most fanatic Otome fan can't argue against the fact that Hime had a much deeper story and breath taking fighting scenes (thing that didn't even exist on Otome series but that at least seems to start to appear on the OVA even though it hasn't the quality of the Hime ones).
Another thing that I noticed was that I was immediately in love with Hime characters, thing that didn't happen on Otome though I fell for Midori the first time I saw her kicking some major Otome butts. XD
But yeah, if I was a person that loved linear stories with lots of fanservice, love stories and sorts I probably would chose Otome. (Still, I think Mai x Tate / Natsuki x Shizuru were a lot deeper love stories than the lame and unrealistic ones of Otome "I'll destroy the world to save my Otou-sama!" Geez right... >_>).
Old 2007-02-07, 19:36   Link #8
X207
Gamyūsa

ya loved kagu vs artemis when kago comes back to lift off
hime is still the best imo
Old 2007-02-08, 13:22   Link #9
kat-sakura
Baka-purple

i watched hime first and then i watched otome. personally i prefer otome because it has a less depressing storyline and generally its funnier, and i can relate to the characters more. the only problem i have with otome is that mai doesnt appear until the end of the series
Old 2007-02-08, 19:26   Link #10
solarknight123

I hope they make some more stuff for mai-hime in the bigbang project. I'm seeing lots of otome related suff from it. Zwel manga, prequel manga, prequel novel, something with arika, nina, & rena wearing fuka clothes. I hope there's more for mai-hime than the sequel novel.
Old 2007-02-09, 14:47   Link #11
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I bought 3 HiME DVDs and I'm trying to lay off watching it for a while.

The charm of the series that made me watch it episode after episode was the mystery. It made you want to guess who the next HiME is going to be and what's going to happen next. I wish I can forget what happened so I can get that feeling again. I still prefer HiME over Otome.
Old 2007-02-09, 14:53   Link #12
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Otome ran out of time to flex out all the stuff they introduced in the series. Imo it would have done a lot better with 36 or so eps. (Strange... most of the time when i watch and 24-26 ep anime i end up thinking they would have been better with half the ep count )

Hime was refreshingly good and interesting... the ending aside, which sucked beyound any reason. (But then again - producing sucky endings is like a sacred tradition in the anime business)
Old 2007-02-09, 18:51   Link #13
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid View Post
I bought 3 HiME DVDs and I'm trying to lay off watching it for a while.

The charm of the series that made me watch it episode after episode was the mystery. It made you want to guess who the next HiME is going to be and what's going to happen next. I wish I can forget what happened so I can get that feeling again. I still prefer HiME over Otome.
I know i wish i could do the same too.
Old 2008-01-09, 08:10   Link #14
nowe1989

I think i like Hime more than Otome. The story in Hime was better than Otome and it was a lot of fun than Otome.
Old 2008-01-09, 08:26   Link #15
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjs20 View Post
Not really. Hime is still jaw-droppingly epic and the best thing to come out of Otome is still Zwei.
Zwei was one of the worst anime things I ever watched. I can't imagine how anyone can like it, except for those who watch it for fanservice.

My opinions about HiME and Otome aren't going to change no matter how many times I watch them.

As for "depressing"... I'm not easily depressed by fiction anyway - almost never, in fact. HiME, to me, was light enough, especially compared to, say, Death Note or Evangelion. I'm glad that it became my gateway anime.

As for my opinions... well, I've expressed them before. HiME is a masterpiece, in the sense that it's... polished. Slick. Everything - the plot, the pacing, the mystery, the characters, the visuals, the music - exists to complement each other. And of course, there's the whole "deconstruction of magical girls" premise that got me into it in the first place, thanks to TVTropes.

The biggest problem with Otome is not the setting and premise - those are great. Not even the plot - overdone but watchable, because the details are what makes it shine. The biggest problem is the idea of shoehorning in HiME characters, even when this means leaving just a pale shadow of the original character (Mai) or putting a character into a role that doesn't fit them (Nagi). Plus the constant pointless, unexplained HiME references, which look more like Sunrise recycling designs than an attempt to do something creative. Ultimately, these factors devalued a story that would otherwise be perfectly enjoyable in its own right, without any ties to HiME. Add the pacing problems...

This doesn't mean that Otome is bad - it simply means that it has wasted potential, and 舞-乙HiME would have been better without the "舞" and "HiME" parts. As it is now, it simply doesn't live up to HiME.

Then came Zwei, which buried any semblance of a coherent story under piles of randomness, fanservice and even more HiME references. What's the most frustrating is that it seems to have been intentional. I've almost completely lost my faith in Sunrise, although I'm still looking forward to S.ifr - which at least doesn't have Arika and Mashiro.

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."
~ Samantha Carter

Last edited by Sikon; 2008-01-09 at 08:53.
Old 2008-01-09, 21:00   Link #16
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Although HiME is better than Otome even HiME has flaws, I love both shows. One of the reasons is that they have many tokusatsu references.
Old 2008-01-09, 22:38   Link #17
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
Zwei was one of the worst anime things I ever watched. I can't imagine how anyone can like it, except for those who watch it for fanservice.

My opinions about HiME and Otome aren't going to change no matter how many times I watch them.

As for "depressing"... I'm not easily depressed by fiction anyway - almost never, in fact. HiME, to me, was light enough, especially compared to, say, Death Note or Evangelion. I'm glad that it became my gateway anime.

As for my opinions... well, I've expressed them before. HiME is a masterpiece, in the sense that it's... polished. Slick. Everything - the plot, the pacing, the mystery, the characters, the visuals, the music - exists to complement each other. And of course, there's the whole "deconstruction of magical girls" premise that got me into it in the first place, thanks to TVTropes.

The biggest problem with Otome is not the setting and premise - those are great. Not even the plot - overdone but watchable, because the details are what makes it shine. The biggest problem is the idea of shoehorning in HiME characters, even when this means leaving just a pale shadow of the original character (Mai) or putting a character into a role that doesn't fit them (Nagi). Plus the constant pointless, unexplained HiME references, which look more like Sunrise recycling designs than an attempt to do something creative. Ultimately, these factors devalued a story that would otherwise be perfectly enjoyable in its own right, without any ties to HiME. Add the pacing problems...

This doesn't mean that Otome is bad - it simply means that it has wasted potential, and 舞-乙HiME would have been better without the "舞" and "HiME" parts. As it is now, it simply doesn't live up to HiME.

Then came Zwei, which buried any semblance of a coherent story under piles of randomness, fanservice and even more HiME references. What's the most frustrating is that it seems to have been intentional. I've almost completely lost my faith in Sunrise, although I'm still looking forward to S.ifr - which at least doesn't have Arika and Mashiro.
I totally agree. Otome and it's sequel Zwei were nothing more than wasted potential, and the sad part is that sunrise is coming out with more otome stuff. Thats why i don't have high expectations for MO sifr.
Old 2008-01-10, 00:19   Link #18
Neki Ecko
Do you "love" me

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I have a chance over the Holidays to look at all of My Hime, and there is no way that Otome could ever compare to Hime. Hime has everything you want in a epic series except for the ending(like any other animes out there) and alot of questions that is still there (like where did Nagi went, what was his relationship with Mashiro, and other stuff). It makes me wonder, why do they want to contiune My Otome even know that it didnt even compare to Hime.
Old 2008-01-10, 00:34   Link #19
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Actually, someone from Sunrise said that it was a mistake to make HiME in the first place.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=26284&page=37

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."
~ Samantha Carter
Old 2008-01-10, 01:06   Link #20
Neki Ecko
Do you "love" me

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
Actually, someone from Sunrise said that it was a mistake to make HiME in the first place.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=26284&page=37
Now that is mess-up , Sunrise should see that Hime is much better over in the States then in Japan, but oh well