AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-01-16, 05:15   Link #1
redryder

Question Questions about BitTorrent

Hi, new user to BitTorrent here. Sumimasen!

1. If a torrent doesn't complete downloading (say stuck at 99%), can I resume the avi file in mirc? Will the video still be watchable?

2. The next question is more of a bandwidth question. I'm using a 256k ADSL connection, if I'm uploading at high rates will that reduce my bandwidth for downloading? Is uploading bandwidth usage independant of downloading? If I'm seeding a few torrents, will that affect my speed of downloading?

3. For a 256k ADSL, my download speeds rarely go above 25k/s. Once I reached 30k/s, but that was only for a short while. Is this normal? Are others getting much faster speeds using BitTorrent?
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 05:52   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sounds like there is some confusion over bytes (B) and bits (b).

256k ADSL more than likely means 256k bits, so it's only 64k Bytes / second.
And then the 64kB is shared over the download and upload, so you are looking at something like 32kB download (since this is ADSL the split between download and upload might not be 50/50)

Download (using BT) is shown in k bytes, so if you are hitting 30kB/s, it could mean you are running at maximum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 05:56   Link #3
TheShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder
Hi, new user to BitTorrent here. Sumimasen!

1. If a torrent doesn't complete downloading (say stuck at 99%), can I resume the avi file in mirc? Will the video still be watchable?
No, as the part you are missing may be anyplace in the file, while mIRC will assume that it is the last part that is missing, or possibly belive that the file is complete if the file has been preallocated.

Quote:
2. The next question is more of a bandwidth question. I'm using a 256k ADSL connection, if I'm uploading at high rates will that reduce my bandwidth for downloading? Is uploading bandwidth usage independant of downloading? If I'm seeding a few torrents, will that affect my speed of downloading?
What happens is that your computer has to send acknowledgement of having received each packet to the machine you are downloading from to have it to send more data. But these acknowledgement packages will be delayed when you are uploading at the max of your capacity.

Quote:
3. For a 256k ADSL, my download speeds rarely go above 25k/s. Once I reached 30k/s, but that was only for a short while. Is this normal? Are others getting much faster speeds using BitTorrent?
What kind of speeds do you experience while downloading files in your browser or ftp?
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote