AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-06-27, 20:22   Link #21
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_machine View Post
Hi guys. Here are my new observations:
- foobar2000 playing music, and Photoshop work at the same time. Froze after a reasonable amount of time has elapsed. Over two hours before it froze I think.
- foobar2000 playing music, and processing word document at the same time. Never froze.
Here is an interesting one:
- Photoshop work, with NBA.com open in the background. Froze quite quickly. After about half an hour.
Thanks everyone. Hope that helps a bit.
The NBA website doesn't have as many flashy animations as I thought it would, but their scrolling animation does jump up the processur usage a bit. Given what you've said, I believe you're experiencing a heat problem.

The fix for it is relatively simple, so long as you're OK working with hardware. You've said that you're not very knowledgable about computers, but there are videos for some of these procedures. If you like working with cars or other mechanical things, this won't be too foreign to you.

What we need to figure out is what part of your cooling system is failing, or needs to be boosted. You didn't mention whether your system was custom-built by someone, or if you bought it from a company like Dell or HP. If it was custom-made, it could be as simple as someone putting on the heat sink the wrong way. If it's a store-bought system, it could just be faulty design, and it'll require a bit of creativity and trial and error to stabilize your system.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the problem is specifically that your processor is overheating. If this is a store-bought system, the solution would be to buy a new heatsink+fan unit, and install it to the processor. This is actually pretty easy. If someone else installed it, you can examine everything to make sure that it's all seated properly. You may not need to buy anything if someone messed up.

Final question: has your computer always done this, or has it been more recent? If it's always done this, then the solution is likely to add more fans/get more powerful fans/get a better heatsink+fan (HSF) unit. If it's been only recently, then there's a chance that a fan has started to fail, and just needs to be replaced.
Old 2007-06-27, 23:10   Link #22
bball_machine

Hello Ledgem, thank you for the reply. My computer was custom built by someone. This problem is actually recent. I have had this computer for 3 years, but the freezing only started happening a few months ago. I suppose I'll give buying a new fan a go? I'll have to count on a friend to install it though, since I wouldn't know how to do it myself. Anyway, thanks again.
bball_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 23:21   Link #23
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Hi guys. Here are my new observations:
- foobar2000 playing music, and Photoshop work at the same time. Froze after a reasonable amount of time has elapsed. Over two hours before it froze I think.
- foobar2000 playing music, and processing word document at the same time. Never froze.
Here is an interesting one:
- Photoshop work, with NBA.com open in the background. Froze quite quickly. After about half an hour.
Thanks everyone. Hope that helps a bit.
foobar2000 is good in having a very low demand in system power. The NBA.com thing is weird...the site itself isn't very demanding.

Come to think of it...you've never given us your complete system specs. It can help us a lot.

I'd like the following info, if you may:
- Processor speed, measured in GHz. Processor brand and model preferred but optional.
- I know you have 1GB of RAM.
- Hard drive space you have left on C:
- The region you live in, specifically the temperature in your area, especially the room where your computer is in.
- Where you put your computer. Please make sure your tower's backside is well ventilated, and that your tower isn't encased in some tight compartment that limits airflow.

And one more thing for you to try: Feel your tower when you start your computer and compare with when Windows freezes. Tell me if the latter feels really warm.

I can probably narrow it down to the following:
1) Overheating. If you tell me how hot or cold your room is, we can either conclude with this or completely rule it out.
2) Hard drive failure. Your C drive might be at its dying breaths, but seeing as you can reinstall Windows, I doubt that.
3) Tiny C drive, which can lead to a whole set of issues.
4) Low memory capacity, which slows down performance a lot as memory is used up, which prompts Windows to start using free C drive space as makeshift memory, which is a pretty stupid move since it's really slow to do that anyway. Coupled with #3, you'll have big problems. However, you state that Windows XP can freeze even at the login screen, so I doubt this.

It's on the processor or the memory. I can't think of anything else.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 08:13   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I suppose I'll give buying a new fan a go? I'll have to count on a friend to install it though, since I wouldn't know how to do it myself. Anyway, thanks again.
If you have any mechanical abilities at all, you can install the kind of fan that is built like an expansion card. The fan sits over one of the "PCI" slots in your computer (white sockets on the motherboard) and has a power connector. You should see some unused power supply connectors in your computer (white plugs with four pins). Plug one into the fan's power connector, close up the computer, and you have a new fan.

Here's an example from NewEgg. Shipping this would cost more than the $3 retail price
Old 2007-07-03, 19:27   Link #25
bball_machine

Hello everyone. Finally I have opened the computer up to check things out. And what do you know; one of the fans isn't spinning at all. I have two fans, and only one is spinning when I switch the computer on. The fan that is attached to the motherboard isn't working anymore. I am assuming that it's normally supposed to spin? Sorry I know it's a dumb question. I just know nothing about computers. Guess I should get it replaced? How much would that cost me approx? Thanks guys.
bball_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 19:51   Link #26
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Hello everyone. Finally I have opened the computer up to check things out. And what do you know; one of the fans isn't spinning at all. I have two fans, and only one is spinning when I switch the computer on. The fan that is attached to the motherboard isn't working anymore. I am assuming that it's normally supposed to spin? Sorry I know it's a dumb question. I just know nothing about computers. Guess I should get it replaced? How much would that cost me approx? Thanks guys.
Well it is really good you found that. Who knows how much longer the computer could have lasted since it was not properly cooled.

I don't really know how much it would cost but I doubt it is anything too expensive.

Hopefully when it gets fixed your freezing issue will go away. Good Luck!
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 17:21   Link #27
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Whoa...the one on the motherboard isn't spinning? It's a miracle your processor lasted this long. Better thank the other fan.

I suppose you should get a tech-savvy friend to make the purchase for you, as the size of the fan should fit the processor and prices can range wildly from $5 to $70.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 05:54   Link #28
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Isnt "the one attached to the motherboard" the (north?)-bridge fan?
There are usually 2 fans in that area:
1 on the cpu (a big one on top of a piece of metal, about 15cm thick)
1 on the bridge (very small fan, no metal heat sink attached)

Which of those isnt spinning? The small one isnt important on some motherboards.
On mine for example I can take it off completly and the bridge doesnt even warm up.

If the big one isnt spinning -> Code Red! -> do as Claies said
Oh, and better leave the comp switched off until you get a new one.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2007-07-05 at 06:54.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 22:25   Link #29
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Motherboards come equipped with fans now?! I've been working with too old hardware, I'm just used to seeing those funky heatsink units...

It's possible that the fan is broken, but it's still possible that it's something else. Do you know if your system supports "smart" cooling modes? If it does, it could just be smart control. Smart control will basically only turn the fan on when the temperature reaches a defined limit. I use this with my processor to reduce noise; the fan only kicks in when the processor's temperature starts to rise above, say, 37 deg C (I'm using a Sempron, they run nice and cool). It's possible that the thermal sensor died, if that's the case.

Fans are generally cheap to replace. If you're going to have it done professionally, it could be a bit more. But again, I'll have to admit to a bit of ignorance on motherboard fans, as I've never seen one, so I'm not even sure if a person could replace it themselves. (Comments above seem to indicate that you can.)
Old 2007-07-09, 11:50   Link #30
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
"Does your compuer ever show a black screen when you turn it on or is your pc on 24/7?"
Yeah, the computer shows a black screen when I restart it right after it freezes. I have to wait for like a minute, then it will boot again. My computer isn't on 24/7. I only use it for a few hours at a time, in fact.

"Exporting/encoding audio is processor intensive."
Yep, I remember it freezes when I try and export audio using Audacity. Hopefully that'll help with finding the problem.
The first one can be related to a little too hot PSU. Or maybe a broken capacitor on your motherboard (Any capacitors on the board that look like they boiled over).

The second... if you coincidentally have an older soundblaster card (player 1024 and the like) then it might produce noise on the PCI bus. In that case I'ld suggest to unplug that card for testing if the system runs more stable then.
edit: no... exporting and encoding is entirely CPU based... so it is points to something wrong with the CPU

Does some device share the same PCI interrupt of either sound card or graphics card?

Last edited by Jinto; 2007-07-10 at 08:08. Reason: correcting my misconception (this was meant to show other possible causes, in the case it is not (only) the CPU fan)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 06:44   Link #31
pomps
グ~…

My PC had this problem recently too. When I was using Photoshop, with WMP playing a while ago, the computer just turned off, I thought that was a heat problem since I used to leave it on 24/24. So I left it to cool off and then turn it on again, it worked fine for awhile and then freezed, and this was the bigger problem. Even after letting it to cool off, when I turned it on again, it freezed a minute or two after loggin in to Windows XP, even without any application started. I tried System Restore in Safe Mode and it worked again, for 1 day. Tried System Restore again, worked again, but eventually System Restore didn't help anymore. I tried reinstall Windows XP fresh, but after intalling all the driver for the hardwares, it freezes again T_T. I uninstall all the drivers and reinstall again, and figured out after installing the drivers for the mainboard (SM bus something, PCI something...) it freezes. I uninstalled them and the computer worked again, well at least I can work with Photoshop and listen to music, watching videos. But if I play some 3D games, even those with very very low system requirement, the computer restarts after a few minutes. I searched for the latest driver for my mainboard, installed it and the computers didn't freeze right away like before, but now it freeze when playing 3D games, instead of turning off. And now I don't know what to do, my guess is there's hardware problem due to overheating, but I don't know which part.
My computer is a custom built, I built it myseft 3 years ago.
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+
Mainboard: Gigabyte with nForce4 chipset (don't remember the exact name for the board)
PCI-e GeForce 6600GT 128MB
1GB RAM
20GB C drive free space at the moment.
The whole case have 5 fans in total, 2 for the power supply, 1 for the case, 1 for CPU and 1 for the graphic card.
Old 2007-07-10, 07:40   Link #32
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you built it three years ago but you've only had this problem recently, I'm not sure that it's a heat problem - unless you're experiencing multiple fans failing on you.

Is your PSU overloaded? Have you tried running MemTest86 to ensure that no RAM has gone bad?
Old 2007-07-10, 08:03   Link #33
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

@Ledgem,

if it is 3 years old... maybe it still can be an overheating problem, since 3 years are enough time to entirely dust the cooling devices. AMD Athlon64 3500+ is a CPU with quite a lot power consumption (and since most of the power is changed into heat... this might cause trouble earlier).
Old 2007-07-10, 09:13   Link #34
pomps
グ~…

After it restarted suddenly the first time, I cleaned up the inside, don't know if it was too late or not, it was quite dusty then.
Old 2007-07-10, 09:44   Link #35
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Did you unmount the fans from the heat sinks and checked the cooling fins? Often dust can hide inside there and stop the air flow and thus effective cooling...