AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2007-06-27, 06:28   Link #1
Green˛
It's Magic

Post Automatic Download Guide using RSS - For µTorrent 1.6.1

Automatic Download Guide using RSS - For µTorrent 1.6.1

Setting Up µTorrent's RSS Downloader to work with AnimeSuki

1. Open the µTorrent client. From the above menu, select Options/RSS Downloader...

2. Within the "RSS Downloader" window that should have popped up, select from its above tabbed menu, Feeds. Click the Add button below.

3. Within the "Enter feed" window that should have popped up, add to the input box the line code: http://animesuki.rut.org/rss.php?style=alt And then select the OK button.

Adding Stuff to Download

4. If hopefully already still within the RSS Downloader window, select from its above tabbed menu, Favorites. At the bottom left corner within that window, select the Add button. Type in a short name of the title to associate with this download, and hit enter on the keyboard. (Ex: Denno Coil)

5. Within the right column of the Favorites tab, enter within the Filter line: Name of the program title*(XviD) or (h264)*Group name

Probably a better way to describe the Filter line to you, is that this line tells the RSS Downloader what you want to have downloaded. With (Filter matches original name instead of decoded name) enabled below within the Favorites tab of the RSS Downloader window, we can scan the Full Name as provided by the AnimeSuki RSS Feed. This RSS Feed providing the program title, followed by season & episode number, followed by if it is (XviD) or (h264) encoded, followed by [fansubber group name].

Important: The * wildcard, I like to think of as a (ignore anything between here) command.
(Ex: History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi * [Kuro-Hana] ...where the * wildcard was added in place of the AnimeSuki RSS Feed episode number: History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi 1x32 [Kuro-Hana] ...as to ignore the season and episode number.)

I use only the episode title name, (XviD) or (h264), and [fansubber group name], while mostly ignoring the episode number, because there's no need if when downloading the latest release by group name.

(Encode (Xvid) or (h264) line may both block downloading titles that do not have a (Xvid) or (h264) listing, where one group only puts out one version per episode, and AnimeSuki's RSS Feed doesn't list its encode.)

Filter Line Key:
Title name only = Download the latest everything by that title name (Ex: Nana*)
Title name and (XviD) or (h264) = Download the latest everything by title name as specified by AnimeSuki RSS Feed as by either XviD or h264 (Ex: Nana*(h264)*)
Title name and Fansub Group name = Downloading the latest everything by title name as put out by that fansub group (Ex: Nana*[Ureshii])
Title name and (XviD) or (h264) and Fansub Group name = Download the latest Xvid or h264 release of title as put out by that fansub group (Ex: Nana*(h264)*[Ureshii])
Fansub Group name only = Download the latest everything as released by that fansub group (Ex: *[Ureshii])
(XviD) or (h264) and Fansub Group name = Download the latest AnimeSuki RSS Feed listed XviD or h264 everything as released by that fansub group (Ex: *(h264)*[Ureshii])

6. Within the right column of the Favorites tab, in the drop-down menu of the "Feed" line, select the http://animesuki.rut.org/rss.php?style=alt line, to use that RSS feed.

7. Within the right column of the Favorites tab, in the "Save in" line, click the ... button at the far right. Within the Browse For Folder window that should have popped up, specify where you want these downloads to be saved to, ...to where you will know where to find them later.
(Ex: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Video New)

8. Within the right column of the Favorites tab, be sure that there is a check mark next to the line: Filter matches original name instead of decoded name

9. Within the right column of the Favorites tab, within the Filter line, copy that entire line to clipboard (Highlight with mouse, right-click, copy) for possible later use.

10. Now click on the Close button of the RSS Downloader window.

11. Reopen the RSS Downloader window: Options/RSS Downloader... ...from the µTorrent client Window.

12. Within the left column of the Favorites tab of the RSS Downloader window, check your work. Select with a left click of the mouse, the title that we had just filled out. Should it happen that the Filter Settings column input line boxes appear completely blank, (Some µTorrent bug) redo steps 5 - 12, but this time if you had previously done step 9 correctly, you should be able to repaste that filter line code back into the Filter line at the right column of within the Favorites tab of the RSS Downloader window, speeding up the process.

13. Keep the µTorrent client running at all times for the RSS Downloader to automatically download latest releases from the AnimeSuki RSS feed.
Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 08:55   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oh, that's a neat little feature there. Is there any plans to add it to Azureus in the future? I can't deal with uTorrent due to it being closed-source and single-platform.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 12:48   Link #3
Green˛
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Oh, that's a neat little feature there. Is there any plans to add it to Azureus in the future? I can't deal with uTorrent due to it being closed-source and single-platform.
Automatic downloading with Azureus 3.0 appears to be doable through a add-in RSS plugin, downloaded through the Plugin installation wizard that connects to SourceForge. Currently with RSSFeed Scanner v.1.3.4.

Though there is some more testing to do on the Filter line within Azureus, I believe it would revolve around the same concept as that with µTorrent. ...but probably with more wildcards.

ScaneRSS on Azureus 3.0

(Untested, but should work theoretically.)

Installing ScaneRSS on Azureus 3.0 (WindowsXP)

1. Enter Advanced mode by clicking on the Advanced button near the upper right within the Azureus client window.

2. Within the Azureus client window, from the above menu, select Plugins\Installation Wizard...

3. Within the Install Plugins window, select "By list from sourceforge.net", and click on Next button. Scroll down to the RSS Scane listing (Currently 0.9.9), put a check mark next to that and click Next. Select whichever option in the following you want, or may be different on other systems, but click on "Finish" button to begin the installation.

Setting up ScaneRSS to work with AnimeSuki RSS Feed

4. Enter Advanced mode by clicking on the Advanced button near the upper right within the Azureus client window.

5. Open ScaneRSS: Within the Azureus client window, from the above menu, select Plugins\ScaneRSS

6. Select the tab labeled "Feed Options" that should be located just under the ScaneRSS tab, that located under and ass load of buttons that are grayed out, just under some useless client directory buttons, just under the ...VUZE beta logo, just under the... ...next step....

7. Feed Options: Fill in the Name line: AnimeSuki ...and fill in the URL line: http://www.animesuki.com/rss.php?link=enclosure ...and "Update Interval" of the feed should be 15 minutes or greater. Within the Feed Options tab, just above the Feed Data column are seven icons. Left-click on the second icon from the left to add the Feed to the RSS feed list at the left blank column.

Setting up the Filters

8. Within the Filter View tab, to within the Filters column at the right, add a name for this filter to the "Name" line. Then at the line just below that, add within the "Accept Pattern" line: .*?Title name.*?h264 or XviD.*?Fansub group name.*?

(Ex: .*?Claymore.*?(h264).*?Eclipse.*?)

9. Within the Filter View tab, select within the "Download History" column: Use Hash Based Download History

10. Within the Filter View tab, located just above the right Filter column is a row of seven icons. Left-click on the second icon in that row from the left "Create new filter using provided information", to add this filter later to the RSS scan list..

10.1. Within the Feed Options tab, left-click on the AnimeSuki feed at the left column. (There also should be a check mark next to the feed AnimeSuki, to have the feed enabled.) Within the lower column should be a list of filters that you want to add to this feed. Place a check mark next to the filters there to associate those filters with the AnimeSuki RSS feed.

11. Keep the Azureus client and ScaneRSS running to... well, not sure what it will do yet.

Noted, ScaneRSS tell that "Filters are only applied to NEW item feeds, not to ones currently being shown." ...so anything currently listed within the FeedView that hasn't yet been added to the Filter list, likely needs to be manually downloaded.

Update 6/29: I got a bite using the replacement http://animesuki.rut.org/rss.php link for the Feed Data url line for step 7. Torrent automatically started.

-0 seeds for torrent. No torrent listing for that torrent seen on RSS Feed View.
-Assuming that there was a error in the RSS delivery listing, and torrent listing was removed for that one torrent.

Last edited by Green˛; 2007-06-29 at 11:47. Reason: Update
Old 2007-06-27, 18:03   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

very nice write up. time for a sticky. thanx alot.
Old 2007-07-04, 08:17   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Greeny does the Azureus tutorial really work at all for you. T_T
If remember correctly that plugin doesn't work with Animesuki.
It basically can't fetch the torrent so no point in even wasting time working with matching.

Well maybe it works for some people, but that version doesn't work for me. You can try to go to were it lists the RSS entries, see if right-clicking then download works.

----
RSSFeed Scanner

The bellow works on both Vuze and Azureus,
If you're using Vuze click the Advanced tab before following the bellow.

Downloading & Installing
  • Go to the Plugins menu.
  • Installation Wizard..
  • Select By list from SourceForge.net.. Click Next..
  • Find the plugin and install it.
  • After it finishes downloading there should be a new Entry named RSSFeed Scanner in the Plugins menu.

Sometimes for some plugins, you might need to restart Azureus for it to appear.
    It won't warn you that you need to do this!

How To Use
  • Open it by going to Plugins and clicking on it's name.
  • After opening it you should see four tabs, these are as follows:

• Status -- This is where you see all your RSS feeds. You do not do much here
    • Option -- This is where you add RSS feeds and where you add filters for them.
    • Download History -- This is log of sorts. Everything that's been auto-added or manually added from the feeds is noted here.
    • Help -- Some basic information.

• Step I. - Adding the RSS feeds.
    We only need to add one, if you want to add more be my guest, the plugin can use multiple Feeds with the same filters.
    Go to Options.. In the Top Box, named RSS Feed URLs... Click the + sign to add a new RSS feed.

Tick Enable and.. Click Save to add it...

If you go to the Status tab, you should see a red entry AnimeSuki.
    Left click and Refresh Feed it. It should now have a plus sign next to it. Click it to see the links and format.

Okey what you are now seeing are torrent, in the format Name; Episode; Type; Group (type isn't always present; depends on group). On the right you should see the download links for the entry.

Before we continue, you can try to do a little test to verify that the plugin works for you.
    Just right-click a entry and select Save Torrent. Now go to the My Torrents tab, if the torrent was added the it's good, it means the plugin is able to identify the torrent link and add it correctly. Your good to go for the filters.
  • Step II. - Adding Filters..
    The plugin only downloads based on Pass filters. If there are no filters it doesn't download anything.

Note - There are also Deny filters, which can be placed above Pass filters to short-circuit the test loop, but I've personally never used them.

To add a filter click the + sign in the Filters Box.

Here's an example.

Most things there are self explanatory.
    There are a few things that you should know about and need or might want-to change from series to series.

The first is the Directory, this specifies a path to where the torrent ( should it pass the filter ) should be downloaded. So for example you can have all torrents for series Idol-what-not downloaded to their own directory.

The second is the Filter field.
    There are two ways to this there is some sort of easy-alternative, but it's too hard for me so I just use Regular Expressions.
    ( Quick Tutorial on Regular Expressions; you can find more if you just google )

But here are the basics ~
    Just write all series like this Series-Name [0-9]+ \[Group-Id\]
    Replace the underlined and italic-ed words with the appropriate and this simple format will match for most cases.

To-Remember List
    1. You are matching the damn entries in the RSS feeds not the entries in the listing in AnimeSuki.com.
    2. So... while groups like say: Ayako are known as [Ayako] some, like Ushi-Ai are abbreviated to [Ushi]. This is done at random. So where exactly is this information of who's who in the RSS listing stored? ~ When you find out tell me ok.

Fina Notes
This works for me, if you did the little test earlier and it worked but after setting up the filters it still doesn't then either 1) you screwed up the filters or 2) you have some other issues.. perhaps privileges etc.

In any case, when a entry is added it will appear in the Download History tab, with the info tab stating something like:
Filter Matched: 'iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia [SRN]'
Just as an example for the earlier mentioned.
Oh and if a filter fails don't worry the feeds have Old or Remove sections, you can just manually Save Torrent them.

Here are a few examples of regex so there's no confusion:
  • Heroic Age [0-9]+ \(XviD\) \[YM\] --- This will download the XviD versions only, for H.264 replace the Xvid with h264
  • Fate\\Hallow Atraxia [0-9]+ \(XviD\) \[YM\] --- Presuming the name was "Fate\Hallow Atraxia" you'll need to escape any special characters by placing a "\" before it. Special regex characters are: [ ] \ ^ $ . | ? * + ( )

Just one last warning, make sure to tweak Azureus's Queue options so it doesn't go stupid on you. As in seed torrents with 1000seeds and 2-3 peers, 0kb/s up of course, but still kills almost all of the active slots thus you are seeding nothing and downloading nothing. The scenario is as follows you are seeding 5-6 torrents that really don't need your help or want your help and at the same time you are downloading torrents with connectivity issues, but they still classify as active.
Old 2007-07-04, 09:48   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Hey, I put up a filter with the exact same settings as you did and the test failed:

Keep in mind that the torrent is still listed in the RSS feed.

:S

PS: now that I think about it, it says TVShow there, but I tried with Other and it still doesn't catch the torrent.

Old 2007-07-04, 12:43   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Note there are options like auto-disable after first find.
It's has nothing to do with the RSS feeds. What if you wanted a rule to download every episode 1 that comes out, how would you test it if your in the middle of the season?!

The idea is you insert imaginary or accurate text there to see if it works.
I wrote iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia 12 [SRN] there, and it told me the filter would pick it up.
What you are doing is testing to NULL, it will always fail.
Old 2007-07-04, 13:38   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Uh... I really don't understand what you've answered... The "Disable After Success" option doesn't do anything to help the testing (and I think it has more to do with disabling the filter once it has an actual hit, which wouldn't affect testing to see if it can have a hit at all).

Quote:
I wrote iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia 12 [SRN] there, and it told me the filter would pick it up.
I wrote it with and without the \'s before the brackets, and yet it doesn't pick a thing.

EDIT:

Now that I check it out, in the Status tab, where the feed is listed, it marks the Idolmaster torrent as a "hist" match :S What does it mean?

UPDATE:

Okay, I used the "Create Filter" command and got this:

murder.princess.4..h for Murder Princess (h264) [Ayako]

Replaced the "4" with "[0-9]" and the test succeeds. Doesn't seem to work for all torrents though.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-07-04 at 13:52.
Old 2007-07-04, 15:03   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well if you replace it with only [0-9] then you are picking only episodes from 0 to 9, where as [0-9]+ picks up 8 9 10 11 12 98 5348957 etc. It translates into 1-or-more from the interval. For [0-9]+ this would be any number.
Old 2007-07-04, 16:46   Link #10
Green˛
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
If remember correctly that plugin doesn't work with Animesuki.
It basically can't fetch the torrent so no point in even wasting time working with matching.

Well maybe it works for some people, but that version doesn't work for me. You can try to go to were it lists the RSS entries, see if right-clicking then download works.

----
It's working with feed: http://animesuki.rut.org/rss.php. I got one file automatically downloading uploading right now. But I for myself would need to change an Azureus advanced setting, as to not automatically save a copy of the small .torrent file within the same download directory. ...But in short, all seems to be working as expected.

Old 2007-07-05, 02:35   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Must be the diffrence in format. I don't think I tried that one.
RSSFeed Scanner's a good alternative too.

-----

Here's a simple and fast test..
The bellow filter will download the first thing that comes up on animesuki and then auto-disable itself.

You should see something like this in history.

Old 2007-07-05, 02:50   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

*bump* Almost forgot,

Green how do you deal with the diffrence in naming?
Old 2007-07-05, 06:29   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Damn I'm so forgetful ~
* Bump again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Now that I check it out, in the Status tab, where the feed is listed, it marks the Idolmaster torrent as a "hist" match :S What does it mean?
Nothing much, Hist is short for History..
( or so it would appear looking at the source code )

Basically it matched but was already in history.
The program won't download the same thing twice, even if you deleted the initial one, as long as it still is in history it won't be re-downloaded. Note that as long as you have the links in Feeds it doesn't matter when you add the filter. Simply put it will back track and check previous entries for a match.

If that previous entry was manually downloaded or say matched another filter and is recorded in history, you'll get the Hist error.
Anyway, if your interested in other errors here's the relevant piece of code.

Code:
  public String getInfo() {
    String info = "";

switch(state) {
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_NON_INIT:
        info = "Incl";
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_INIT:
        info = "Init";
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_START:
        info = "Start";
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_DOWNLOADING:
        info = "Get " + (this.percent > 0?Integer.toString(this.percent) + "%":(this.amount > 0?Double.toString(Math.floor(new Integer(this.amount).doubleValue() / (double) 1024 * (double) 100) / (double) 100) + "KB":""));
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_FINISHED:
        this.completed = true;
        info = "Done";
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_ERROR:
        this.error = true;
        info = "Error" + (!"".equals(err)?" - " + err:"");
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_CANCELED:
        this.canceled = true;
        info = "Canned";
        break;
      case Downloader.DOWNLOADER_CHECKING:
        info = "Search " + this.amount + "/" + this.percent + " ...";
        break;
      case DOWNLOAD_INCL:
        info = "Incl";
        break;
      case DOWNLOAD_EXCL:
        this.completed = true;
        info = "Excl";
        break;
      case DOWNLOAD_FAIL:
        this.error = true;
        info = "Fail" + (!"".equals(err)?" - " + err:"");
        break;
      case DOWNLOAD_HIST:
        this.completed = true;
        info = "Hist";
        break;
    }

return info;
  }
Old 2007-07-05, 07:26   Link #14
Green˛
It's Magic

Quote:
*bump* Almost forgot,

Green how do you deal with the diffrence in naming?
RegEx on the filter line?

The * expression is usually the only command that is required on the AnimeSuki feeds, as the expression will generally fill in none to multiple characters till it reaches the next specified character. That usually allowing for me to skip having to specify the episode numbers. In the ScaneRSS guide, the .? expressions are also used to probably increase compatibility when filtering through the lines as provided by some RSS feeds. ...but I wouldn't be surprised if just the * expression alone would work for here.

The Pattern Assistant within the Filter View tab, will give you an idea as to what the program is looking for.
Old 2007-07-05, 07:58   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Uhh ~ I meant naming for groups as in for example how would you know that Your Mom's nick is YM when it's not mentioned anywhere, except in the RSS listing. Most of the rest you can usually find them on the Info-Page for specific torrents by looking at the name of the torrent, but some just don't fit. Your Mom is one of them, it's listed as Your-Mom, but in the RSS listing it's labeled as [YM], unlike others. I guess it depends on the admin who initially adds them. Until now I just went with experience, their bound to pop up in the listing at some time and I save 3month old links (10,000 max), just in case I find a new series, but it can be annoying to judge if that's the group's nick or not.

Oh, I don't have problems with naming the series, I have more then enough experience with regex for that.
Old 2007-07-05, 08:44   Link #16
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Sometimes the files you want to filter are not in the list of the pattern assistent (because theyre not in the feed right now).
An easy way to test you filters is by inserting them into the filter line of the Azureus main window (change to regex mode first by pressing ctrl-x). You can mess around with the expression there and see if it successfully filters your older torrents.
Then copy it to the scanerss-filter and hope the group doesnt change its naming in the future.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 09:15   Link #17
GHDpro
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
The key is Green˛ used http://www.animesuki.com/rss.php?link=enclosure , where the important bit is link=enclosure. I added that a while back for RSS scanners that need a torrent link (obviously), but don't support RSS "enclosures" (=the proper way IMHO).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 12:19   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Could make a simple page listing groups and their abbreviation. Petty please!
By abbreviation I mean the group name used in RSS, like for example "YM" for the group "Your Mom".
Old 2007-07-05, 17:53   Link #19
GHDpro
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Let's see if this works...

Spoiler for Part 1 of Group List:
Old 2007-07-05, 17:57   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Spoiler for Part 2 of Group List:

...that's the whole list of groups straight from the AnimeSuki db. Note that some of these abbreviations may note be the "official" ones picked by the group themselves: we sometimes had to change old groups as new groups picked the same abbreviation.

So if any fansub group notices any data is incorrect and wants it changed, please post about it in the "Forum & Site Feedback" forum, like in this thread.

Tags
wiki candidate