AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2013-10-12, 21:11   Link #1
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Recent good sci-fi movies

As per title I'm looking for recent (anything from 2001 onward) good sci-fi movies. My definition of "sci-fi" for the sake of this thread is kinda loose, as long as there's some kind of hitherto undiscovered technology, phenomenon or entity involved that it's central to the plot it's fine.

I don't think I can write a comprehensive list of what I've already seen but off the top of my head:

Butterly effect (all three)
Cargo
Timecrimes
Splice
Sunshine
Transformers
Cloverfield
Pacific Rim
The core

Thanx in advance.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 21:30   Link #2
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I'm sure that Loups=Garous will have what you're looking for. It's about a near futuristic society where everyday life is monitored and the risks involved trying to "break" the system.

It's an anime movie if you don't mind it being so.
Old 2013-10-13, 01:37   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Moon was quite good...

Prometheus is an obvious one...

There's the two recent Star Trek films... I liked the first one better.

Super 8 was pretty fun...

District 9 was good...

Serenity was good, but is closely tied to Firefly which you obviously have to see if you haven't...

I know you said recent only but I've got to plug The Thing and Gattaca which are still just as good as they were 30 and 15 years ago respectively... (saw 'em again recently)
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 01:50   Link #4
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarami View Post
I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I'm sure that Loups=Garous will have what you're looking for. It's about a near futuristic society where everyday life is monitored and the risks involved trying to "break" the system.

It's an anime movie if you don't mind it being so.
Yeah I was thinking more about live action movie but I don't mind animated ones, obviously. This seems like a nice suggestion thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Moon was quite good...

Prometheus is an obvious one...

There's the two recent Star Trek films... I liked the first one better.

Super 8 was pretty fun...

District 9 was good...

Serenity was good, but is closely tied to Firefly which you obviously have to see if you haven't...

I know you said recent only but I've got to plug The Thing and Gattaca which are still just as good as they were 30 and 15 years ago respectively... (saw 'em again recently)
I've already watched Promotheus and Super 8. The first is an insult to the alien franchise but it's got some good points. The second was okay, but a bit underwhelming in my opinion.

I've watched both Gattaca and "the thing", pretty solid recommendations especially "the thing". By the way wasn't there supposed to be a prequel?

I'll have to postpone "Serenity" until I watch "Firefly" (is it good as they say?) and I'm not particularly fond of "Star Trek" but the other movies seem pretty interesting.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 01:56   Link #5
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'll have to postpone "Serenity" until I watch "Firefly" (is it good as they say?) and I'm not particularly fond of "Star Trek" but the other movies seem pretty interesting.
Yeah, Firefly is, though the first episode (2 hour long) drags a little which put me off a bit until I got hooked. Pretty sure you don't have to like Star Trek to enjoy the new films.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 04:44   Link #6
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'll second District 9.

I'll add Children of Men and the Mardock Scramble Trilogy (anime)