AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 61 35.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 69 39.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 16.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 5.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.58%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.58%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-04, 15:07   Link #81
ArmisaelXVIII
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007

I was rewatching the EP, and imagined them in a situation I saw in an anime I can't recall right now.


Spoiler for Directo's cut:
ArmisaelXVIII is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 15:09   Link #82
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmisaelXVIII View Post
Spoiler for Directo's cut:
Thats more like 4-koma material.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 15:09   Link #83
Lendial
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
oh god i hate videos like that, not because its bad but because it stirs such emotions. i stopped half way because i knew the tears would fall.
Lendial is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 15:11   Link #84
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
It does sadden me that they took out two of my favorite lines, but otherwise the episode was perfect. Irene's envy of Teresa was quite human, and the "Fate has its own plans." line was good too.

I wonder why manga readers keep pointing out the smile, she was smiling in the manga too, I just assume you guys did not look closely.

Rafaela said herself that she was looking for Irene, apparently the Organization knew she was alive, just not where she was.

I think Irene also said that line just to get Clare to leave, she wanted Clare to leave with no regrets and continue forward, no matter what happened to her.

Ah all the Ophelia hate, dont know why, Ophelia is an awesome character.
I heard someone say this before but she is definitely a "bad end" version of Clare.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 15:45   Link #85
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I wonder why manga readers keep pointing out the smile, she was smiling in the manga too, I just assume you guys did not look closely.
Well, when I look at that scene from the manga, her expression is pretty similar to her normal expressions, just little less stern. I guess it could look like smile, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as the anime.
cors8 is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 16:10   Link #86
Nesty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
not a bad ep, but if felt odd seeing some of the lines, important ones at that, getting cut from the anime version.

nice to see the reactions for those that finally see the other form of getting a "powerup" hehe in claymore :P
Nesty is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 16:46   Link #87
Seska
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 41
Clare has Teressas Blood and flesh.
Irene teach her the basics of her skill, but unable to reach the same speed and force. She helped Clare out, with a gift.
Ophelia was her first enemy. Clare with the "new Help" of Irene, has some problems. But Ophelia helps her, and resolve her will to fight. In the end of this ,all 3 ones (Teressa,Irene and Ophelia), are part of Clare's background.

Look forward, the show just begin here. trust me...
Seska is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 16:56   Link #88
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosho128 View Post
I like the fact that Clare is much weaker than the average Claymore and that she must get stronger through other methods other than simply training. That makes her victories so refreshing to watch; she works incredibly hard to take down her opponents. Whenever she wins; I get a feeling of: "YOU GO GIRL!"
She may have less raw power, but she definitely has some extraudinary talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska View Post
Look forward, the show just begin here. trust me...
Well of course. This is only just past the midway point. Most shows heat up here and Claymore should be no exception. Everyone already knows that even without having to read the manga.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 17:30   Link #89
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
It does sadden me that they took out two of my favorite lines, but otherwise the episode was perfect. Irene's envy of Teresa was quite human, and the "Fate has its own plans." line was good too.
Exactly what I wanted to comment on too, they changed and shuffled some of the dialogue but most of that doesn't really matter. But when I watched this episode I really did miss the line where Irene said she was felt envious when she saw Teresa in that village with Clare. I wish they had kept that in.

Last edited by Trax; 2007-07-04 at 17:40.
Trax is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 17:45   Link #90
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
All hate? Don't generalize .
fine fine! love and hate then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
not a bad ep, but if felt odd seeing some of the lines, important ones at that, getting cut from the anime version.

nice to see the reactions for those that finally see the other form of getting a "powerup" hehe in claymore :P
mix and match body parts...it sounds like a kid in a sweet shop (even though it was a nice spin i hope clare doesnt acquire any new legs O.O)
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 17:49   Link #91
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Scene 14 - Fit for Battle

Great! This was a funny, amusing episode.

Hack and slash! Hack and slash!

Clare has to go a long way before she ceases to be the punching bag but with the Quick Sword acquired by her drive to avenge Teresa she has now ascended in league.

Seriously people, did Ophelia give the impression of an Awakened in the traditional sense of the word?

She was more lunatic than monster, and I could not stop myself from laughing out aloud like an idiot.

But, anyways, in this episode we're notified that the Org is absolutely sinister on the deep core and may or not be responsible for the chain of events that will bound to happen in the future.

I have been waiting for Raphaela's debut, and she never disappointed on those few minutes on the screen. Sadly, it is still a long trek to come to see her fight.

And looks like from the preview that new guest stars are making their long stand in the spotlight.

And what would Clare going to do now?
Guido is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 18:43   Link #92
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Claire with Theresa yoki sensors, Irene/Ilena's Quicksword arm and Ophelia's manifest. She sounds like a bearer for some of her most powerful comrade in arms. Talk about adaptability and flexibility. Claire is like a tabula rasa, waiting to be fitted with good parts that maybe someday enable her to take on Priscillia face to face in mortal combat.

The problem being a tabula rasa, she has no unique ability of her own as much it is source of her great strength.

Now that is hallmark of a potentially good warrior.
__________________

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2007-07-04 at 18:58.
stormy001_M1A2 is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 19:59   Link #93
SapientiSat
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
^ Her forte would be adaptability and results I guess.

I liked the episode. The death of Claymore #4 was sort of homage to the end of Ophelia in Shakespeare's Hamlet. She fell into madness and died in water.

SapientiSat is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 19:59   Link #94
Kinematics
Let's play a game!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
A little more of my thoughts on Ophelia, as brought up a couple episodes back.

She's a sadistic, evil, monstrous little creature, caring only for her own enjoyment and the pain she can cause others. That's not why I like her.

The anime version was more limited in some of its presentation, though what it did show it showed beautifully. The point that I think finally drove home exactly who Ophelia was, for me, was her simple declaration of, "You won." Those two words finally crystalized an understanding of her seemingly meaninglessly sadistic nature.

Someone commented an episode or two ago that it was unusual to have such a vicious antagonist whose sadism seemed to have no purpose other than simply the act itself. It wasn't for power, or revenge, or torture or whatever. It was simply causing pain for the sake of causing pain. What I saw was that there was actually a purpose behind it, even if she was not consciously aware of it.

I've noted before that our two 'evil' characters so far have extremely childlike personalities. Priscilla is the epitome of righteous magical girl; Ophelia wants to play games. Even Clare herself is still heavily tied to her younger self, of the time she had with Teresa. The parallels being drawn seem to be deliberate. The children of this world are the most vulnerable, at every level.

At the physical level, they are the most susceptible to being killed by the pervasive plague of yoma. Even adults have almost no way to defeat them, and children have no chance at all. They are also in the worst position as survivors of such attacks since the adults will mistrust them, and can't be relied on to help them survive.

At the social level, those who have survived such attacks are taken in by this world's "Health and Welfare Bureau", the Organization. Rather than being cared for, however, they are turned into half-monsters themselves, forced to endure the pain of the transformation, sent out to kill, and knowing that no one considers them human anymore. Sooner or later they will either die in battle, or become the very monsters they fight and caused them to become what they are.

And at the metaphysical level, they seem to be the most vulnerable to turning into the monstrosities they fight, Awakened Beings. It is the human mind that keeps that at bay, and the childlike minds don't seem to have the proper type of strength of will to hold onto their humanity.

Thus we return to Ophelia. She wants to play a game. More importantly, it's implied that this is normal behavior for her. She kills and inflicts pain in numerous ways, and disposes of the evidence to keep from being punished, all in the name of playing a game, a game where she sets the rules. The rules are unfair, the dice are loaded, and the penalty for losing is death.

What she wants, however, is someone with whom she can play a game, who will win.

Consider how she plays with Clare. She taunts and teases, but doesn't kill directly. She uses every trick she can think of that any enemy might use against you. Are you afraid? She'll play on that fear. Do you care about someone? She'll use him as leverage against you. Are you an offensive type? She'll take advantage of the weaknesses of that type (inability to easily heal/regenerate). Any special techniques? She's very good at analyzing and countering those abilities.

Every possible weakness an enemy could exploit, Ophelia will try to use against her fellow 'player', trying to force their limits, and find the point they will break. As long as Clare could keep finding ways out of the traps Ophelia set, Ophelia kept pushing her. When Clare was out of tricks, and unable to continue fighting, only then did Ophelia get bored and was prepared to kill her.

Yet, even though Clare was out of tricks, out of strategy, and unable to fight, she never broke. She never gave in. She kept trying to find a way.

Fast forward to after the Quick Sword training. Clare had gotten faster and stronger. Perhaps strong enough to be worth testing one more time. This time it was a test of her inner self, the part that holds back the beast, that keeps her from awakening. Yet another set of unfair rules, rules Clare -could- have ignored in order to dispatch Ophelia, as Ophelia herself noted. Clare, however, stayed within the rules of the game, perhaps as much to test herself as to let Ophelia test her.

And Ophelia wanted her to win. This was her last chance to find someone who -could- win. She wouldn't skimp on the rules, because the rules were important. But that inner part of her, the child that knew what she was trying to find, could encourage Clare just enough to get her over the top.

Why was she trying to find this person? While Ophelia was #4, she was also a very competitive person. If it was possible for her to gain a higher rank, she would have tried. She also probably knew that #5 (Raphaela) was stronger than she was. She loved killing Awakeneds, but her true goal was Priscilla. She had to know, then, that she had no chance of actually beating Priscilla.

She had to find someone stronger than herself, not just physically (as 1/2/3/5 would be), but mentally and strategically. Beating someone in a straight-up 'fair' fight is easy. Priscilla didn't play fair. Ophelia had to find someone who could play a game with completely unfair rules and still win.

The child that is Ophelia, the child who wanted her brother back, the child who wanted revenge on his murderer, the child with such a keen mind, even if twisted over the years, the child who just wanted to play some games, that is the one that I care about, and I will miss.
Kinematics is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 21:44   Link #95
dxanato
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Kinematics thank you for that write up. I totally see your point about Ophelia and her habit for playing games. I am not sure if was here that I post but I always felt that Ophelia was teaching Clare something. Your point about playing on Clare weakness in using Raki and give her task she knew would be unfair to test Clare resolve is very interesting to see it unfold.
__________________
Gokigenyou
dxanato is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 21:44   Link #96
Kinematics
Let's play a game!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
More thoughts on Ophelia. This is more speculative than analytical, with a number of points that I can't directly prove.

I think that Ophelia had already given up any hope of defeating Priscilla before she ever met Clare. The carelessness of her fight with the Awakened was not her being overpowered, but rather her being lazy or uncaring of the outcome. She was, at that point, already on a suicidal path.

Recall her words from Miria's flashback, regarding Miria's ability to fight multiple opponents. I believe that at that time she was still 'testing' herself, willing to take any opportunity to fight an opponent that would allow her to determine if her skills were good enough to fight Priscilla.

Ophelia appears to be an excellent tactician. It's likely the primary reason she rose to rank 4. That gift, however, allowed her to recognize an unwinnable fight. There was some point after her encounter with Miria when she found she would never be good enough.

High probability: She keeps track of all Awakened hunts. Secondary probability: she keeps tracks of those who go on such hunts to scout for a possible 'successor' (even if she wouldn't readily acknowledge that). She had already encountered Miria and knew she had a potentially fatal weakness. She was likely aware of Helen and Deneve in a general sort of way, and had enough experience to easily pick apart their weaknesses. What caught her attention, however, was a rank 47 warrior going on such a hunt, and returning alive. The report would likely at least indicate that this warrior performed adequately, even if details were left out.

This was something completely out of left field, and probably quite intriguing to Ophelia. It would not take much digging to determine that she was the product of the infusion of Teresa (though that information isn't a necessary presupposition to further speculation), and considered a failure. However the fact that she was both assigned to and survived an Awakened hunt might lead Ophelia to take a chance on her.

To a tactician, people become predictable, and warriors even more so. However this 'Clare' person could very well be something different, unusual. Interesting.

The assignment of Clare to the hunt with Ophelia is very odd. Instead of the usual group of 4, there were only 2, and Ophelia claimed (correctly) that she could have handled it herself. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the Organization to assign Clare to such a hunt, especially against an Awakened more powerful than the one she fought before. The only conclusion is that someone must have specifically requested it. [Edit: Well, there is the alternative "plan to kill both troublemakers off" theory.]

The only one who could conceivably have done so is Ophelia herself (probably through her handler). Rubel might have done so, but he is far too meticulous. He would have arranged for another standard group of 4 against progressively more difficult opponents, not paired with a single, unstable Claymore.

Ophelia, having failed to be strong enough herself, and having failed to find a strong enough candidate among the 'normal' Claymores, is grasping at straws to find someone suitable. Her own failure worsens her mental instability. She no longer cares if she lives or dies, and she honestly no longer has any real hope. She has slipped fully into her 'game' mode by the time she meets Clare.

Thus she is hanging onto her humanity by a mere thread during this arc, and her encounter with Ilena breaks that. Her psyche snaps, and she finally succumbs and becomes Awakened. However, being in 'game' mode, her grasp of reality is still loose, and she's unaware of what happened.

When she finally realizes what happened, enough of her true self pulls together to put on one last test - one last game - for Clare. Clare winning the game that she herself could not allowed Ophelia to at long last rest easy, knowing there was another there to fight in her stead.

Last edited by Kinematics; 2007-07-04 at 22:06.
Kinematics is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 21:46   Link #97
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Spoiler for long:
Beautiful. I never cared much about Ophelia beyond, "Crazy psycho bitch I'm glad she was finally killed," until I read this post.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 22:09   Link #98
dxanato
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
@Kinematics I am not sure about this theory on Ophelia. I can see some point but with the last few word she said about how she forgot her brother smile and the reason her brother die tell me my otherwise. I think her quest for vengeance may have been lost the minute Yoma was place in her body.
__________________
Gokigenyou
dxanato is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 22:15   Link #99
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Very nice theory of Ophelia's character, I see her in a much simliar light, a part of her probably already knew she would not be able to beat Priscilla, and she also had a more personal grudge against her.

I believe the real turning point is when she realizes that Clare had a grudge against Priscilla as well.
This triggered something inside Ophelia herself. It appears quite obvious that Ophelia wanted Clare to win, infact, in many ways she LET Clare win.

She just wanted to test if Clare had the resolve to carry on her will, after all Ophelia herself had already failed by Awakening, so she could not even attempt to carry on her mission anymore.

Ophelia is really one of the characters that help Clare develop the most in this series, which is why, as someone pointed out earlier, the opening shows Teresa, Irene, and Ophelia. They are all linked to Clare now, and all linked to Priscilla as well.

Edit for above poster: It appears Ophelia never knew who the one-horned monster actually was, so her hatred and subsequent hunting off any and all awakened beings is her way of searching for her brother's killer.

I believe what Ophelia ment was that she could never really understand what it was her brother was trying to do until that moment, or maybe she did and just sealed it away because she was not strong enough to move past the death of her brother. (like Clare with Teresa)
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline  
Old 2007-07-04, 22:18   Link #100
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Ophelia realising her revenge by testing worthy comrades to kill Priscillia herself since her thinking if they cannot handle her, surely they unable to handle one horned monster. She becomes like a filter, appointing herself.

Remarkable.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.