AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-03-01, 03:08   Link #21
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Heh. I just noticed your signature and my signature on the screen at the same time. They are amusingly synonymous. Even though I actually like h264.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 22:59   Link #22
LCeh

Possible new forum?

I was just thinking, under "Anime Related Topics", is it possible have a section for Live Action? Whether it be TV series or movies, whether it be from Japan or Korea or other places.

Originally I thought about just restricting it to Japan, since these shows are quite closely related to anime as well, with some movies from Japan originating from other anime/manga and such, but then I looked at the music forum and people discuss about all kinds of music too, so maybe we can have a general forum for Live Action as well?
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 01:29   Link #23
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
I was just thinking, under "Anime Related Topics", is it possible have a section for Live Action? Whether it be TV series or movies, whether it be from Japan or Korea or other places.

Originally I thought about just restricting it to Japan, since these shows are quite closely related to anime as well, with some movies from Japan originating from other anime/manga and such, but then I looked at the music forum and people discuss about all kinds of music too, so maybe we can have a general forum for Live Action as well?
I think it would be suitable for general anime, since it's anime based anyway.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 01:39   Link #24
cyth
ふひひ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I think it would be suitable for general anime, since it's anime based anyway.
What I think he has in mind is a forum for all kinds of live action. Japanese, Korean dramas, tokusatsu, American TV shows, movies etc. etc.

Personally, I'm not too thrilled over this idea because it would loosen the forums' orientation too much. If we had to restrict discussion about non-Japanese kinds of music in the Music forum just to prove a point, I would be up for that. ^^;
Old 2007-08-14, 01:51   Link #25
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

LCeh, the current forums aren't getting overwhelmed with such threads so it's not going to make much of a difference.
BTW, you can discuss non-Japanese movies in general chat.
Old 2007-08-14, 02:13   Link #26
Sazelyt
F i n

I am not a lot interested in live-action shows (mainly because it is not as easy as finding anime), but, I believe these series have quite a large number of fanbase outside Japan or Korea.

If there is a potential of creating 50 or more threads (even I can easily name more than 10, so there should be a lot more than that), I think, a need to create that subforum should be understandable, and even justifiable, as long as they are only based on anime or manga or similar versions from eastern Asia (not cartoon or comics). Hence, there is no need to limit it to Japan, there are also shows from Korea, as well, that use the same kind of source.

Anyways, I am sure, it will be much more interesting than the music and game forums....and more informative than the fan creations forum....
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 02:44   Link #27
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I am not a lot interested in live-action shows (mainly because it is not as easy as finding anime), but, I believe these series have quite a large number of fanbase outside Japan or Korea.

If there is a potential of creating 50 or more threads (even I can easily name more than 10, so there should be a lot more than that), I think, a need to create that subforum should be understandable, and even justifiable, as long as they are only based on anime or manga or similar versions from eastern Asia (not cartoon or comics). Hence, there is no need to limit it to Japan, there are also shows from Korea, as well, that use the same kind of source.

Anyways, I am sure, it will be much more interesting than the music and game forums....and more informative than the fan creations forum....
Even so, they are soooooo cool. I just watched Saikano Live Action yesterday, it's all too good ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-08-14, 03:50   Link #28
Sazelyt
F i n

Well, after seeing the previous posts and replies on the same topic (haven't seen those before), it is safe to say, it won't be created. It seems there is no need for it.

Instead, Animesuki is in dire need for a game subforum, with no risk or guilt of stealing fans from other sites, unlike the live-action one! Pretty good excuse actually, you can never beat it...
Old 2007-08-14, 04:12   Link #29
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Instead, Animesuki is in dire need for a game subforum, with no risk or guilt of stealing fans from other sites, unlike the live-action one! Pretty good excuse actually, you can never beat it...
Since we have a Games sub-forum I can only assume this is sarcasm, but for the life of me I don't see the joke.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 05:06   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think he meant to say "forum-games" subforum.
Old 2007-08-14, 12:09   Link #31
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I'm all for a live-action forum. I think the dorama/movie fanbase are growing, and many of them (non-Asian fans) started out from anime. It's a very natural extension. Maybe the emphasis of this forum in animesuki should be focusing on anime or manga related properties, but users should be allowed to create threads on their own. For example, fans of HYD may become fans of Arashi after watching the live action version, and may wanted to discuss other dorama in which Arashi members has appeared in. This forum would be a great place for them.

I don't think it will really "steal members" from other forms because this forum can never replace sites like j-dorama.com or d-addicts.com with their massive amount of info on live-action shows. Plus, in Japan a dorama fan used to be an antithesis of an anime fan; many dorama watchers won't really be interested in anime enough to want to visit here. If you want a serious, in-depth dicussion about a show, there are other forums. But a live action forum here in animesuki is would be a great place for those slowly moving from "anime-fan" to "Asian entertainment fans". If you're on a dorama-site, you tend not wanting to mention that you're also an anime fan. In here, you won't have that issue at all as you can safely assume everyone also watches anime.

As for the type of live action shows discussed, I believe that K-dorama and some Taiwan dorama should be given room here. The reason even in Japan Korean doramas are bigger than J-doramas. If you start watching one, it's inevitable you start watching the other. Some Taiwan dorama are based on manga properties.

So as an anime fan with a strong dorama-watching credential, I would hope that such forum would exist here.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 12:42   Link #32
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I'm all for a live-action forum. I think the dorama/movie fanbase are growing, and many of them (non-Asian fans) started out from anime. It's a very natural extension.
I'm sure it is growing but I'm not convinced that the growth is here at AnimeSuki. Please remember that our objective isn't to take over the world, we do not feel the need to try and be everything to everybody. We want to focus on anime mostly but we have no objection if there is live-action dorama discussion here.
Quote:
Maybe the emphasis of this forum in animesuki should be focusing on anime or manga related properties, but users should be allowed to create threads on their own.
In what way do we inhibit creation of live-action dorama discussion threads? We have a number of them already and they can be created just like any other discussion thread (suitably in either the Fansubbed or General Chat forum).
Quote:
For example, fans of HYD may become fans of Arashi after watching the live action version, and may wanted to discuss other dorama in which Arashi members has appeared in. This forum would be a great place for them.
Yes. If they came and posted here we would not object.
Quote:
I don't think it will really "steal members" from other forms because this forum can never replace sites like j-dorama.com or d-addicts.com with their massive amount of info on live-action shows.
I don't think we "steal" them either. I think I used the term "focus", meaning that our main focus isn't dorama but anime. If there are several sites all trying to "attract" the discussion then I think the focus or energy would be lost (maybe "lost" is the wrong word, the focus would not be so intense as it would be spread around more sites).
Quote:
Plus, in Japan a dorama fan used to be an antithesis of an anime fan; many dorama watchers won't really be interested in anime enough to want to visit here. If you want a serious, in-depth dicussion about a show, there are other forums. But a live action forum here in animesuki is would be a great place for those slowly moving from "anime-fan" to "Asian entertainment fans". If you're on a dorama-site, you tend not wanting to mention that you're also an anime fan. In here, you won't have that issue at all as you can safely assume everyone also watches anime.
True, but in what way would a sub-forum help this? I can see some minor encouragement but first I would like to see a real increase in the activity of the existing dorama threads here.
Quote:
As for the type of live action shows discussed, I believe that K-dorama and some Taiwan dorama should be given room here. The reason even in Japan Korean doramas are bigger than J-doramas. If you start watching one, it's inevitable you start watching the other. Some Taiwan dorama are based on manga properties.
K or T dorama is acceptable just as J-dorama is.
Quote:
So as an anime fan with a strong dorama-watching credential, I would hope that such forum would exist here.
Thanks for the constructive comments and to which I think I agree with them I'll repeat what I posted 18 months ago since I don't see anything has really changed.

I would love to see more live-action drama discussion here at AnimeSuki but I have yet to see any indication that it has increased of late (here at AnimeSuki that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I've yet to see a reason (apart from "it would be a good idea") as to why one should be created. It's not as if we don't allow live-action discussion, it's not as if we don't allow non-anime related dorama threads to be created. I even maintain a list of anime related discussion threads in the Series Discussion Index. If someone wants to create and maintain a Dorama Series Discussion Index for the General Chat forum (or for the entire forum), then they are welcome to do so.

It's not even as if there's a huge activity in the live-action discussion threads to justify a forum, we (the Mods and Admin) have discussed this before and in general we do not see a need for it. Densha Otoko has most likely been the most active of all such threads but even so.

I count myself as a fan of Jdorama, I've enjoyed series such as You're Under Arrest, Trick, Summer Snow, Pride, Orange Days, Moto Kare, Long Vacation, Last Christmas, Hana Yori Dango, Gokusen, Densha Otoko, Bus Stop, Boku Dake no Madonna, and I would recommend any of these series (well, all except Trick) to anime fans who enjoy drama / romantic comedy. But it still comes down to the fact we don't see anywhere near the sort of activity to warrant a new forum. And I'm still unsure just what benefit a new forum will give, all I can see it doing is diffuse the existing dorama forums of other sites. I think I would like to see more Dorama threads and posts because I enjoy such series but just like any other request for a series specific forum, if we think it's justified then (and only then) will we consider creating one.
And to the above list I would add At Home Dad, Lunch Queen
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 12:54   Link #33
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
True, but in what way would a sub-forum help this? I can see some minor encouragement but first I would like to see a real increase in the activity of the existing dorama threads here.
I would think that the encouragement is more than minor. I personally didn't want to post a lot about live-action since I felt it was out of place here. For example, I could have post a ton of info on Nodame Cantibile live action but I really resisted since I didn't think animesuki was that dorama-friendly. If there was a live-action forum I would fee very comfortable since it's telling me that there a lot of fellow fans like myself who enjoy both, and the admins are dorama-friendly as well. Some of your admins are a bit... intimidating...

I totally understand your point about thread count not increasing, but I would like to suggest that maybe if there was a forum there you will see more threads. I know I could have open a couple myself. I know I could in General but like the above paragraph, I'm just not sure if it's "kosher". Having a forum would get more thread started, and more interest in dorama would be generated. That is all I'm saying.
Old 2007-08-14, 15:21   Link #34
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
If we want to have a live action forum, first we need to just start posting about it wherever it belongs (if the series has to do with an anime, the fansubbed forum, if not, the general thread). I started a Hana Kimi live action thread a while ago, and it hasn't gotten very many responses, but there's enough that it's encouraging me to continue discussing it there.

If enough people show interest in the live action threads that are made, then I could see a live action forum happening. If not... it just proves xris's point.

The bottom line: don't be afraid to post about live action shows. If it goes well, there will be a live action forum eventually, no doubt.

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-08-14 at 15:32.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 17:40   Link #35
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
If we want to have a live action forum, first we need to just start posting about it wherever it belongs (if the series has to do with an anime, the fansubbed forum, if not, the general thread). I started a Hana Kimi live action thread a while ago, and it hasn't gotten very many responses, but there's enough that it's encouraging me to continue discussing it there.

If enough people show interest in the live action threads that are made, then I could see a live action forum happening. If not... it just proves xris's point.

The bottom line: don't be afraid to post about live action shows. If it goes well, there will be a live action forum eventually, no doubt.
i agree there, it would be nice. but if it's created what if no one uses it. but it would be nice

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 20:31   Link #36
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
i agree there, it would be nice. but if it's created what if no one uses it. but it would be nice
lol That's my point -- it shouldn't be created until we show that it will actually get used, and used frequently.
Old 2007-08-15, 02:14   Link #37
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
I'm sure it is growing but I'm not convinced that the growth is here at AnimeSuki. Please remember that our objective isn't to take over the world, we do not feel the need to try and be everything to everybody. We want to focus on anime mostly but we have no objection if there is live-action dorama discussion here.
The growth here is steady. Though some users like Deathkillz sure do post a lot, like in +++++++size.

Old 2007-08-15, 03:24   Link #38
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
lol That's my point -- it shouldn't be created until we show that it will actually get used, and used frequently.
That's one of the obstacles in creating that subforum, the condition of it getting used frequently (as well as getting not used frequently - can you see an exit?), which was made clear by one of the earlier posts. The more it draws attention, the worse it is for this site, as it would have stolen customers from other friendly places...Can you really argue with that? I honestly can't. I am really at a loss for words.

Quote:
Since we have a Games sub-forum I can only assume this is sarcasm, but for the life of me I don't see the joke.
I am sorry, if I get misunderstood. My aim wasn't to make a joke, just to show the unbelievability factor in that argument, and the case of arguing against it getting automatically closed, making it a completely biased choice, living no door open, for the counters...That is how I see, anyways. Doesn't have to be shared by all...
Old 2007-08-15, 12:51   Link #39
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

We have a music and game sub-forms that doesn't seemed to be used THAT often relative to the rest of the forums, yet they exist.

Again I can't buy the argument of "stealing" from other sites, being a frequent visitor of those sites. There are many people who're watching dorama due to their interest in Japanese culture that's not part of the otaku world, and a whole lot of them are Asians living in the West who are sick of the "mainstream" entertainment in their countries. Most of them won't come to Animesuki. In fact, I can see traffic to those sites GROWING instead.

But I can see that it's probably a lost cause. Oh well.
Old 2007-08-15, 14:15   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
We have a music and game sub-forms that doesn't seemed to be used THAT often relative to the rest of the forums, yet they exist.
They are used enough actually, the discussion is just more to the point. IMO this idea is, at most, adequate as a sub-forum for one of the current sections. But considering the admins rejected the idea of a novels section, which I would like to think is higher on the food chain, your idea was more or less a lost cause to begin with.