AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-15, 16:13   Link #41
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
your idea was more or less a lost cause to begin with.
Just to clarify, it wasn't my idea. I was just voicing support for it.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-16 at 03:15.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 00:04   Link #42
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
I think a subsection should be provided . Dramas may be non anime related but live actions are related to anime . Also their are lot of live actions airing soon namely Negima
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 07:07   Link #43
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Should McDonald serve you french wine since they are related to restaurants.
Is thee anime or is thee NOT anime? that is the question.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 08:11   Link #44
Irwin1138
Tri Zába
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Should McDonald serve you french wine since they are related to restaurants
Please, dont forget that live actions are related to anime just as much as manga does! And there IS a sub-section for manga! Also, there is a sub-section for music, where ppl discuss not only-from-anime-music. Like descriptions says: "Forum for discussing anime music and Asian music such as JPop". So you see, all this is related to anime. Some more, some less, but it all does. I mean, you cant cut anime from everything, cause it is much bigger then plain anime.
I cant say that Im a big fan of live action, but I just cant see the difficulties in creation of such sub-section. In admincp it takes 2 clicks and filling in 2-3 textboxes, checking 3-4 checkboxes (if I can remember it right), and thats all 8) So if there are ppl who want such a sub-section, why the hell not? 8)
__________________
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 09:14   Link #45
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Just because it can be done or similar things have been done, does not imply reason for it to be done!
Suppose a lot of people would be annoyed by it's existence. That would be reason not to have it.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, AnimeSuki forums is oriented towards high quality discussion, not high density.
The forum's been peaceful for some time, and so it has been long since
the position was cited by one of the forum leaders, so I could be wrong.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 10:11   Link #46
Irwin1138
Tri Zába
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 25
Cats, but you missed the whole point of what I wanted to say! 8)
I just showed you with help of some examples, that your example of "Should McDonald serve you french wine since they are related to restaurants" isnt correct for this particular issue 8)
Quote:
Suppose a lot of people would be annoyed by it's existence. That would be reason not to have it.
Err... You're joking, arent you? 8) Its not an argument against having ANY subsection or even thread, or even post 8)

Anyways, I just stated my opinion on this issue. And again, I think that opening of this subsection will do no harm at all 8)
__________________
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 10:38   Link #47
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Should McDonald serve you french wine since they are related to restaurants.
Is thee anime or is thee NOT anime? that is the question.
I will answer that question with a question .

There is a subsection for games and the majority of games discussed are non-anime related . Live actions are anime related so when its okay for games why not for live actions?

An unessecary fact French Fries dont get their name from France its the cut the cut is called French ie like dice and jullians
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 11:19   Link #48
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 34
AnimeSuki started its life as a sub-section of an Emulator/Game related site; so a lot of people from the early days were interested in games before anime. Additionally the game section (once AnimeSuki formed its own forum) was just for anime related games. It has grown in scope since.

I will refer people back to xris' post on the previous page. We're not against the idea of such a forum section, we simply don't see the need for it yet. A bunch of people saying it would be a good idea is not a wealth of threads supporting it.

If a lot of Live Action shows are going to be released soon, all anime related, then we may end up listing more and the discussion (in the existing sections) might swell. If and when that happens, we may decide a section is warranted. We don't go out of our way to increase the forum population or quantity of threads, we like it to grow organically because there is discussion to be made. We don't make sections to encourage people to join and contribute on a given topic, we make sections in order to cope with, contain and organise, existing threads that share a common theme, so they are easier to maintain and find. Forum creation is almost always reactive rather than proactive.
__________________
🐾
…to be bold, to be brave; it is the thinking that the heart can still be saved.
And the darkness can come quick. The danger's in the anger and the hanging on to it.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 11:32   Link #49
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
~ Geta
  1. It is recognised by 100% of the people here.
  2. It is practiced/experienced by at the very least 50% of people here.
  3. There is enough interest for it to be a good read and subject for debate.
  4. It is a known fact that a lot of anime fans play games.
  5. It is a acknowledged industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin1138 View Post
Cats, but you missed the whole point of what I wanted to say! 8)
I just showed you with help of some examples, that your example of "Should McDonald serve you french wine since they are related to restaurants" isnt correct for this particular issue 8)
Comparing by relationship a restaurant and fast-foot-whatever are equal since they both: serve you food and drinks (analogy: anime) If we compare by community coverage, they are totally unrelated.

e.g
Forums by Relationship: Comics, Cartoon, Merchandise, Figurines, Hentai.
Forums by Community: Music, Games, Manga/Novels
Post Scriptum -- I'm not arguing against it, I could care less if it was here or not. I'm tring to point out that your point: "it's anime related" isn't grounds for creating it.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 11:56   Link #50
Irwin1138
Tri Zába
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 25
Just start a poll on that topic (or attach it to this thread), and youll see how much users want live action subsection, and how much doesnt care, that will at least end some pointless discussions 8)
__________________
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 12:22   Link #51
Sazelyt
F i n
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
We don't make sections to encourage people to join and contribute on a given topic, we make sections in order to cope with, contain and organise, existing threads that share a common theme, so they are easier to maintain and find. Forum creation is almost always reactive rather than proactive.
I think that is not always correct.

If I consider each specific anime sub-forums, as a forum/section, we all know they are not created because of the reaction of the fans. Rather, they are mostly created to encourage posts and the anime (unfortunately I cannot think of any other way, especially since there are much better candidates if it would be only a matter of reaction).

One of the reasons to support a live-action forum, is because it is indeed an important part of anime-based themes. Just like any anime thread, what you see may not show what fans would do, if it would have its own forum. And, if you ever create the forum, and the reaction may not happen to be at the expected level, if that happens, you can close it down, after a trial period. I don't see any loss in there. At least, after that you can safely say that we tried but it failed, instead of we cannot because... And if it works, it might be a valuable complementary addition for the forum.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 14:31   Link #52
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Would creating more troubles and pausing the debate solve the problem.
If there's no grounds to make it there's no ground to test it...
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 16:39   Link #53
Sazelyt
F i n
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
If there's no grounds to make it there's no ground to test it...
Oh, I am sure there is a ground to make it, though that does not mean it will be enough to make it.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 03:39   Link #54
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 28
For what it's worth I would probably post in it. After already seeing most good anime's. I started watching drama. It's pretty similar to anime/manga in various aspects(maybe it's an Asian thing?). Drama's are better in portraying romance/drama. While KGNE might be special as anime. If you compare it to the drama it doesn't even come close.

Might not be a bad idea to make a LA section if it accepts all drama's. Or else it would be pointless. Since most are worse then the original as an exception we have Goong, but that's based on a manga so not sure if it counts? xD
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 07:06   Link #55
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Might not be a bad idea to make a LA section if it accepts all drama's. Or else it would be pointless.
Read the first post, The topic is not the creation of some sort of Movies / Non-Anime Series forum, but a Live Action forum. In other words, a forum dedicated to stuff like: Sailor Moon Live Action, Shinigami no Ballad Live Action, Death Note Live Action et cetera In layman's terms any and all Japanese/Korean/Chinese/what-have-you dramas based on popular anime series.

That why Sazelyt, Irwin, Geta and others have been rubbing in how it's related to anime. In my opinion most people that see it would consider it some sort of cosplay and fanfiction youtube-like video so I think a forum wouldn't be appropriate, but I'm not against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Forum creation is almost always reactive rather than proactive.
The following thread are wrongly positioned and should be in Fan Creation: Post a Photo of Yourself!, The Post Your Desktop Thread, Photographs, Anime Screenshot Captions, Learn Japanese - Through 4-panel manga! If I'm wrong then obviously these threads from Fan Creation are wrongly positioned and should be in General Chat: Best kind of pen for outlining pictures?, How can I get a professional looking CG?, How to CG hair?, How to draw anime hair?, How to draw anime/manga characters?, Inking and countless others who are only discussions and don't create anything "tangible".

My point is: you're far more proactive then reactive. You wouldn't have such a general policy as: we won't do it if we hear it from you... or adopt such stiff decisions or ambigous positions if you were indeed reactive. Of course I'm not implying anything bad, just expressing my point of view.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 07:38   Link #56
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 34
I think you are missing my point, possibly I didn't make it well enough.

To start with your example uses two forums that have existed since the forums inception, and probably the emulator forum from which we grew. I accept the scope of the Fan Creation forum has drifted (in fact it was just fan art until enough people posted more than just artwork), but I don't see any problem with the current position of the threads you list. Ok, so some of the threads could possibly live in one or other forums, maybe, but you could say the same about a lot of threads and the general chat forum. I don't think we'll ever get a clean dividing line, but at the same time I don't think that means we need to change the structure to "fix" the situation. So far it has worked fine.

More generally: When I said "reactive" I never said anything about it being with respect to what people say. We are generally reactive to posting patterns over a long period of time NOT to the whims of the few people who decide to post an opinion on which forums should be created. Asking for a series forum won't get one made, yes, but it won't stop us making one, if we feel it is needed, either.

All I was saying is that we normally watch discussion trends and make changes in reaction to them. We don't (generally) make changes in order to elicit posting habits. Most of the topic specific forums you see have existed in one form or another since the forum was created. There will always be exceptions but that is generally the case.
__________________
🐾
…to be bold, to be brave; it is the thinking that the heart can still be saved.
And the darkness can come quick. The danger's in the anger and the hanging on to it.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 12:06   Link #57
Sazelyt
F i n
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
We don't (generally) make changes in order to elicit posting habits. Most of the topic specific forums you see have existed in one form or another since the forum was created. There will always be exceptions but that is generally the case.
Let me give an example, if Claymore, Death Note, FMA would have stayed as separate anime and manga threads, it wouldn't have received that much attention and elicit posting habits. If you have created a Nodame Cantabile or even Major subforum, I am sure it would have exceeded many of the subforums currently available there. Creating a thread elicit posting habits, by allowing the discussion on a focused area on many topics. That is the truth, and it will not change, maybe, except for a few series (Naruto - Bleach - Gundam, I would have liked to include One Piece, but, I believe with the emergence of Kefi and Arlong Park, it is currently at the point of trying to only stay alive).

The live-action fans or people who might show interest in that, may post or post a lot more when they are all gathered in the same subforum. That is the truth. That is why, I would really love to see that being tried like for some time - like a 3-month period - in a controlled manner, to see how it goes, and I don't think it would cause a lot more trouble than what already is.

(Note: Honestly, the exceptions you mention, I just checked older series forum, and nearly 40% of them cannot be considered as popular among all/majority users, rather, maybe a very small group of posters. With that high percentage, it is not fair to call them as exceptions, cause they are well beyond that barrier.)
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 12:18   Link #58
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
I dont think post frequency should be that big of an issue . Well the music subsection gets an average of 3-4 posts per day at times less . Currently I feel live actions are orphaned as they dont have their own subsection : ( . Also a new subsection well encourage more posts in the concerned threads also will generate a lot of interest .As many have stressed about DAddicts and JDorama but it caters more to Dramas than LvA . Dramas are a sub Group of LvA but the emphasis here is anime related
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 14:54   Link #59
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
~ Sazelyt

It's normal for a forum to look bigger then a thread, that doesn't mean the discussion is better! Specialised threads are there because there is no disadvantage in having them, they don't help discussion or do any good.

Not having rules against necro posting doesn't imply the disadvantages aren't there; endless quarles, flame-wars, people throwing pointless remarks and countering what may be already outdated opinions... et cetera. In a way, not having a forum is a very good thing.

Your latest suggestion of deleting forums in the Older Series section is just as crazy as the testing-period idea. Sorry but there is just no way to delete a forum without risking some sort of war between the staff and community; a wave of complaints and bitter opinions is guaranteed. People get upset when you're just deleting one of their posts, imagine the reaction deleting all their posts in a forum, with only some "We don't like it." comment as consolation. You are right, it takes just a few clicks, but the easiest solution isn't always the best solution.

~ Geta

Animesuki is a Anime English-Fansub Indexing site. Hence, JDrama in general is accessible to at most 10% of people here. Now how many of that 10% are actually intrested in it!? Live Action is an alternative to anime, just like TvDramas all over the world are. If the majority here had an interest in this alternative then they would not be the majority. All forums here, with the exception of a select few, were created because they touch topics that are part of anime, not because they were related to anime.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 15:04   Link #60
Sazelyt
F i n
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
~ Sazelyt

It's normal for a forum to look bigger then a thread, that doesn't mean the discussion is better! Specialised threads are there because there is no disadvantage in having them, they don't help discussion or do any good.
I am not saying the discussion is better or not. That was not my point. My point was that creating a forum for a topic increases the interest and attracts more posts regardless of what the initial reaction was. And, in a similar way, opening a forum is not a guarantee that it will blossom into something major.

Quote:
In a way, not having a forum is a very good thing.
Not having a possibly-desired forum is not a good thing. And, if we assume the average age for posters in live-action forum will be higher than the anime ones, I expect the discussion to be more civil.
Quote:
Your latest suggestion of deleting forums in the Older Series section is just as crazy as the testing-period idea.
I have never said that. I just pointed out an observation, that the exception on the reaction part cannot be counted as an exception. On the opposite, one can afraid whether the forums created by reaction will soon become an exception or not.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.