Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-08-22, 15:19   Link #61
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Animesuki is a Anime English-Fansub Indexing site. Hence, JDrama in general is accessible to at most 10% of people here.
Actually LvA are subbed in English … And this discussion is regarding LvA not dramas I think you are confused regarding the two

Quote:
Now how many of that 10% are actually intrested in it!? Live Action is an alternative to anime, just like TvDramas all over the world are. If the majority here had an interest in this alternative then they would not be the majority. All forums here, with the exception of a select few, were created because they touch topics that are part of anime, not because they were related to anime.
I can use the same argument for any series thread , which do not get their own subsection. Let’s take Mononoke I see 5 active posters in that thread. So going by your argument it doesn’t need a thread as its catering to 5 people . Is that the point you are making? Also AS needs to scrap the music section as it has less than 5 posts per day .

The argument regarding related to anime is redundant there are two sections which are partially dealing with anime. These are frequented by 10 % users.. Also these users do not frequent anime threads .They exsist as they are related to anime
Old 2007-08-22, 18:57   Link #62
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Apparently none of you noticed my post which holds a key to this issue, so Ill repeat it for those who blind:
The simplest solution is to make a poll!
Then you will see how much ppl actually wants the live action subsection.
But for the love of gods, dont create a poll with "No I dont want live action subsection" option, please.
Make only 2 options, the "Yes thatll be great" and "I dont give a flying duck" one 8)
This poll will end this senceless flood of whats related to anime and whats not, I hope. TY all!
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:59   Link #63
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

A poll is pointless. A thread where people can say what they like and if they would like one is much better.
This thread does that and I don't see people with 100+ posts coming in a saying: "I love this and that... and would love a forum"

NSW happens to think people would post (a lot) and that's why he's against it. So why bother...

~ Sazelyt & Geta

Post count doesn't make it smarter.
Old 2007-08-23, 09:24   Link #64
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
~ Sazelyt & Geta

Post count doesn't make it smarter.
It may not, in another forum. But, here the spam count is not very high. Anyway, regardless of what we think on that, the threads and the forum survive and live with the posts. And, if you can maintain the quality of the majority of the posts above some level on related forums, the post count becomes important.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 10:31   Link #65
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I've yet to actually see a compelling reason put forward to create a Live-Action forum so far. Since I consider myself a fan of live action J-Dorama I wouldn't be that against such a forum but as I said, I can't say I really noticed a good reason why a Live-Action forum should be created over say a Sports forum or a Movies forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
It may not, in another forum. But, here the spam count is not very high. Anyway, regardless of what we think on that, the threads and the forum survive and live with the posts. And, if you can maintain the quality of the majority of the posts above some level on related forums, the post count becomes important.
Lets take a look at numbers of posts over the last month then (31 days) and compare the Live-Action / Sports / Movies posts we've had. Now I totalled these up last night manually so there might be errors but I think I found most of the appropriate posts from the last month.

Live Action
23 posts in 6 threads (over half of which came from one thread).

Sports
161 posts in 4 threads (the bulk of which came from one thread)

Movies
196 posts in 16 threads

Notes: For Live-Action I looked in the Fansubbed, Unaired and General Chat forums, for Sports and Movies I looked in the General Chat forum. By "movies", I mean the typical Hollywood movie.

This seems to be telling me that we should be creating a Movies forum and a Sports forum before we create that Live-Action forum. I'm sure that if such forums were created then we would attract a lot more new posts and activity as well as some new members who would want to post. Both of these forums could also be "related" to anime as well, there are a number of sports anime already so it would help encourage non-anime watchers to consider series such as Major, Eyeshield 21, Ookiku Furikabutte, etc.

But as we have repeatedly stated, we are not trying to make AnimeSuki into the be all and end all of forums. We do not feel the need to try and be everything to everybody.

As it stands, we have no objection if people post in the existing Live-Action threads and if such threads don't exist then we have no problem if they are created by those interested in discussing the series. It's not as if we don't allow Live-Action discussion. I don't really see how grouping them together into a forum actually helps that much. I'm not saying there aren't advantages but before we go down that route I would like to see a noticeable change, one that is vastly greater that topics such as Sports and Movies, in the contribution and activity for Live-Action threads. And that doesn't just mean posts counts, there are a lot more variables we consider when deciding on new sub-forums.

I'm not trying to put down the idea of such a forum but I still would like to see constructive reasons, more than "it would be a good idea". So, Sazelyt, Geta Boshi and the others who have made the requests, please put your thinking caps on
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 11:05   Link #66
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
This seems to be telling me that we should be creating a Movies forum and a Sports forum before we create that Live-Action forum. I'm sure that if such forums were created then we would attract a lot more new posts and activity as well as some new members who would want to post. Both of these forums could also be "related" to anime as well, there are a number of sports anime already so it would help encourage non-anime watchers to consider series such as Major, Eyeshield 21, Ookiku Furikabutte, etc.
I believe your numbers and reasoning of postponing as well. But, I still didn't like the comparison to sports and movies. I don't really see a direct connection to the anime in those two topics. Live action shows we consider are created by the anime or manga series - so there is a direct relationship. And, it is one of 4-5 main topics that you consider in the genre (anime, manga, music, live-action, and/or games).

The numbers don't lie, that shows there is not much attraction towards that topic. It may be caused because of disorientation. You have to find the related thread which may be lot of pages away, instead of just directly entering a live-action forum and posting there, and if not many people are posting there you wouldn't want to post. Speaking from my view, I don't think I have posted in the live-action threads, because of many reasons. But, I think I would post if I see a forum specifically for that, and if there are enough number of people who would want to post like me (I guess we can count you in), it may generate good results. (as an example, if there would be 50 or so people interested in and posting in One Piece, I would post quite a lot in there, because of finding a great variety of people to discuss the topic in a focused forum, instead of idling)

That is why the suggestion of a trial period seems to be a reasonable idea. It would be useful to determine whether it will add valuable content to animesuki or whether the efforts will be wasted. But, at least, we can make a definite claim on what the real case is.
Old 2007-08-24, 07:08   Link #67
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

xris, if you and the rest of the staff aren't that against the idea of having this LA forum or extra forums in general, but just don't wish for extra clutter and/or distractions or non-anime forums, then one solution might be to just sink them beneath the overlaying "important" forums.

The solution would go something like this: you create a subforum in one of the current top level forums (General Chat would be the most appropriate) then place forums like LA and others in it. (since I've heard these LA bable in the past)

The forums would become accessible either by clicking the sub-forum link under General Chat or going to General Chat where it should be appearing in a box at the top with it's forums as sub-forums. (similar to how you see the Current/Older Series forums)

But this is all in the idea that the LA fans can't discuss anything if they don't have a forum structure, which I find hard to believe.
Old 2007-08-24, 09:09   Link #68
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

We already discussed the cons so here are some of the Pros of having a seprate subsection

Quote:

Smart Indexing

Threads are not orphaned all threads in one section. Members don’t have to search in General Anime Fan subbed or General sections

Easier Locating

Sometimes the Live action threads are named [XXX] ZZZ this makes it difficult for searching using search button. Once or twice, I have faced that problem. If threads are located in one section can be manually searched

More Posts

Lack of a section sometimes leads to lack of posts . When Maison Ikkoku released I and a member were forced to discuss it New Shows Thread by Neo Sam . As no one bothered to make a thread . If there is a thread there is more chances of people posting

Consistent Subbing

Initially the problem was fan sub groups used to start a project then abandon it . So threads were pointless . With consistent subbing by groups like Sars , whole series can be guaranteed .

Awareness and Interest

When I have not seen an anime I read the posts to decide whether or not I should watch it . Reading threads and posts increases my interest in that anime . As LvAs are scattered its impossible to do so . If there is a subsection it will increase awareness and may even interest people to follow the show

We are not Dorama or DAddicts

We are not we are Animsesuki so majority of us watch anime and when we want a change follow LvA . Most members are mainly anime oriented so our knowledge regarding Actors Directors is best put amateurish . So there is a feeling of out of place whilst posting at those other forums .

But as AS is more anime oriented we feel at home .
Old 2007-08-24, 09:14   Link #69
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Hmm, I have not been following this discussion, but I believe there are a few factors that should be considered when creating a subforum.
  • Number of posts (No point trying to explain)
  • Number of topics discussed in the threads (If people keep discussing the same topic, I don't see why a subforum is required, because the main reason why a subforum is created is so that the posts can be organised into such a way that it makes it simpler to access and contribute to the discussionS.)
  • Number of users that contribute to the discussion (A forum is a place to exchange opinions on a larger scale, as compared to a chatroom. Hence, if only one or two people contribute to the discussion it defeats the purpose of a forum in the first place.)

Basically a forum structures a discussion such that opinions are categorised and dealt with respectively. If the discussion requires such a structure then by all means go with it. In case some may feel that such a subforum may compromise other forums, I would like to say that this is not a problem, because if you just follow Cats' suggestion, this can be overcome easily.

I personally have no personal objection/ approval of such a forum since I don't really know what Live-Action really is. (I have some vague idea that it's an anime series turned into a film of some sort) but if it's anime related, and popular enough, &in demand, I don't see why it shouldn't be created.

That is, if it is popular and demanded by the above criterion. ^^

-

Edit: D: did geta just post something similar? Why am I always late...
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 11:28   Link #70
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
When Maison Ikkoku released I and a member were forced to discuss it New Shows Thread by Neo Sam . As no one bothered to make a thread.
First Irwin, now you...
At the bottom and top of each forum there is a button for creating new threads.

Last edited by felix; 2007-08-24 at 11:45.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 14:56   Link #71
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
First Irwin, now you...
At the bottom and top of each forum there is a button for creating new threads.
The point isnt about creating new threads .... Neo Sam already had all the info in his thread . Making a clone thread of his post was not nessecary .
Old 2007-08-24, 15:06   Link #72
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I thought you were talking about the Announcement thread. If the series already had a thread what were you trying to say with the "As no one bothered to make a thread." comment.
Old 2007-08-24, 16:03   Link #73
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Quote:
First Irwin, now you...
Cats, can you please explain how am I supposed to be related? 8)
Old 2007-08-25, 10:44   Link #74
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You asked people to make a thread in your place. Sorry, don't mean any offence, just have to say I find it a very silly request.
Old 2007-08-25, 14:51   Link #75
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Well, I see a big difference here 8)
I SUGGESTED, not ASKED 8) And also, as I said, there is nothing for me from creation of LA subforum, and dont you think that if I was the one who created the poll, the one who doesnt really interested in that, that it would look really strange?
Old 2007-09-26, 16:26   Link #76
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
AnimeSuki started its life as a sub-section of an Emulator/Game related site; so a lot of people from the early days were interested in games before anime. Additionally the game section (once AnimeSuki formed its own forum) was just for anime related games. It has grown in scope since.
Regarding the games subforum, I will have a question.

I just noticed that the forum ID for that section is 33. I don't know the first active year of the forum. But, if Animesuki was originally a part of a game related site, why did you wait too long, nearly one-year to form that forum, if the interest was already there when you formed this site? It is rather surprising, I would have expected it to be created earlier than the Naruto forum...
Old 2007-09-26, 17:54   Link #77
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Those numbers don't mean anything. No conspiracy here.

This version of the forum was initially created in the last quarter of 2003 when we switched the software from Burning Board to vBulletin. Not sure if the archive of the old software is still online, but the forums were all created from scratch in this software at that point, to closely match the old forum. They were not created in the original chronological order.

Note the first post dates are only one day apart: 2003-11-04 (Naruto) and 2003-11-05 (Games). The original forum would have been created around December 2002 or January 2003 (I forget which), probably by copying the database of the original EmulatorZone forum and creating new/different forums specific to AnimeSuki. The EZ forum has existed since around 2001-01-17 (I'm guessing here based on GHDpro's "registration" date).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 03:34   Link #78
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Actually, NightWish, you're somewhat mistaken. While your facts about reorg of AnimeSuki's database are all accurate, your history is somewhat lacking.

When AnimeSuki was split off from the EZ Forum back in the dawn of history it did not have a Games Forum. Although much of the userbase had an interest in games, we felt that we should focus on Anime and asked those interested in games to discuss it on other forums, like EZ. Finally, probably after about a year, we caved in to our member's interests and created a forum for anime related games. After all, there was definitely a strong relation to anime. We tried for a while to limit it to anime related games only, but finally surrendered to the inevitable and allowed our members to discuss all games there.

I suppose it is not impossible that we would eventually surrender to a desire for discussing LA just as we did about Games, but there is one big difference between the situations now and then. Back then we were comparatively small with only a few distinct forums. Heck, we didn't have individual series discussions, a separate Unaired Forum, Suggestions Forum or many of the other discussion forums that we have today. Back then we had a lot of room for growth. Small forums like to grow. Now we are so humongous that growth is not desirable. We'd have to be convinced that this new growth is truly advantageous to our future.

If we decide to take on live action, then it will grow and force us to become an even larger forum. For the love of god, please just go to HongFire or D-Addicts if you want to discuss Live Action. Their membership is far more knowlegable about it than we are and you'll find tons of people who want to discuss it with you. D-Addicts will not only allow you to discuss it, they also host torrents! How can we possibly compete with that unless we open DoramaSuki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Not sure if the archive of the old software is still online, but the forums were all created from scratch in this software at that point, to closely match the old forum.
Just checked the old link. Nope, the archive is no longer there.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 04:37   Link #79
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Keeping an outdated version of old bulletin board software online is like asking for your server to be hacked. Or at least, I felt it wasn't a good thing to keep it around.

But here is a snapshot of the EZ forum from February 2003, when AnimeSuki was still part of it:
http://web.archive.org/web/200302182...ator-zone.com/

And here is a snapshot of the initial AS forum from June 2003, just prior to the first backups "issue":
http://web.archive.org/web/200306180...animesuki.com/

In November 2003 the forum server had it's first backup issue, wiping out 3 months worth of posts. since we were also going to convert over to vBulletin, it was decided to keep only the user accounts and nothing else. Hence why my registration date is still dates back from the EZ forum.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 04:47   Link #80
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually, NightWish, you're somewhat mistaken. While your facts about reorg of AnimeSuki's database are all accurate, your history is somewhat lacking.
Ah! You're right. I couldn't remember a time when the section didn't exist, so my memory must be faulty. The post times convinced me I was right, but I've just realised that is as flawed as the forum ID when trying to working out when it started life. It would appear the earliest record of the forum is March 2004, though it could have been created any time after December 3rd 2003. So, I take back my previous assertions, they were mistaken.

Not creating it immediately after splitting from a game forum would make a lot more sense. It would have been silly to keep a pale imitation of the previous forum hanging around. I assume those first posts I was looking at were moved out of their original locations when the new forum was created; which makes sense now I think about it, as that is what we would do if a Live Action forum were needed now.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote