AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-12, 22:27   Link #3241
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I'm looking forward to it, though I hope they can use the Bandai subs (which I heard were not bad) as compared to their Haruhi-chan subs.
The Bandai subs were actually worse than the Haruhi-chan subs, though not grammatically.

"Future men"... Christ.
Old 2009-04-12, 22:30   Link #3242
Ithekro
Warning

My only problem with the Haruhi-chan subs so far is that they only follow one line of dialogue at a time...even when two people are speaking (one foreground and one background). This is rather obvious when Kyon is talking to Yuki about the ballons while Mikuru is pleading with Haruhi...or most of Mikuru's lines while on the cross for that matter since she's talked over most of the time.
Old 2009-04-12, 22:33   Link #3243
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The Bandai subs were actually worse than the Haruhi-chan subs, though not grammatically.

"Future men"... Christ.
Hmmm...I can't expect them to use the a.f.k subs, can I?

Then again, I don't think a.f.k actually covered the extra scenes.
Old 2009-04-12, 22:38   Link #3244
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
My only problem with the Haruhi-chan subs so far is that they only follow one line of dialogue at a time...even when two people are speaking (one foreground and one background). This is rather obvious when Kyon is talking to Yuki about the ballons while Mikuru is pleading with Haruhi...or most of Mikuru's lines while on the cross for that matter since she's talked over most of the time.
Maybe a higher-quality production will get higher-quality subs?

They need to find the people who did the Tower of Druaga subs, kidnap them, and make them translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Hmmm...I can't expect them to use the a.f.k subs, can I?
No, probably not. Unfortunately.
Old 2009-04-13, 00:32   Link #3245
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:

"Future men"... Christ.
I happen to like "future men". As stated numerous times before, it's technically correct, since a) all the time travelers are from the future and b) the original Japanese was "mirai(future)-jin(person)". On top of that, it's...kitchy... Fits well with "Data Overmind"... ^_^
Old 2009-04-13, 00:38   Link #3246
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I happen to like "future men". As stated numerous times before, it's technically correct, since a) all the time travelers are from the future and b) the original Japanese was "mirai(future)-jin(person)". On top of that, it's...kitchy... Fits well with "Data Overmind"... ^_^
It sounds TERRIBLE in English though.

Would you prefer "spacemen" to aliens? After all, all the aliens are from space...

This is why things are localized rather than just translated. Of course, whether or not a localization turns out good depends entirely on the competency of those doing the localizing.

I'd have to say that Little, Brown did a GREAT job though. It's as good, if not slightly better, than B-T's translations.

I wonder how they'll handle the underage drinking in the later volumes... though it's nowhere near as FORBIDDEN in the States as it is in Japan...

Last edited by Kaisos Erranon; 2009-04-13 at 01:05.
Old 2009-04-13, 01:02   Link #3247
bayoab

Quote:
Quote:
This is why things are localized rather than just translated. Of course, whether or not a localization turns out good depends entirely on the competency of those doing the localizing.

Except the reason they picked future men is the following:
Code:
future men
time traveler
Old 2009-04-13, 01:05   Link #3248
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Except the reason they picked future men is the following:
Code:
future men
time traveler
Uh. Um.

...What?
Old 2009-04-13, 01:12   Link #3249
brocko

I'm assuming future men requires less characters than time traveler? Thus they get to skimp out on the ink for a few characters here and there perhaps? lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2009-04-13 at 03:42.
Old 2009-04-13, 01:20   Link #3250
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I'm assuming future men requires less characters than time traveler? Thus they get to skimp out on the ink for a few characters here and there? lol
Oh, that's what he means.

But the only time "future men" was used was in the Bandai subs. EVERY other English translation/localization (the dub, the manga, and the book) has used "time traveler".

So I still don't get his point.
Old 2009-04-13, 02:18   Link #3251
bayoab

Quote:
Oh, that's what he means.

But the only time "future men" was used was in the Bandai subs. EVERY other English translation/localization (the dub, the manga, and the book) has used "time traveler".

So I still don't get his point.
Exactly. It was only used in subtitles where you have a limited amount of space to fit information. If (by accepted standards), you only have a certain number of characters per line and only 2 lines for a DVD subtitle, you might need to find a way to trim down certain lines (and use a 3 character shorter word/phrase).
Old 2009-04-13, 02:48   Link #3252
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Exactly. It was only used in subtitles where you have a limited amount of space to fit information. If (by accepted standards), you only have a certain number of characters per line and only 2 lines for a DVD subtitle, you might need to find a way to trim down certain lines (and use a 3 character shorter word/phrase).
So you want to NOT match the dub. I see.

Once I decided to turn on both subtitles and English language. It was hilarious(ly bad).

It's not just the whole "future men" thing. The subs are legitimately terrible, inconsistent, and inaccurate.
Old 2009-04-13, 03:28   Link #3253
bayoab

Quote:
So you want to NOT match the dub. I see.

Once I decided to turn on both subtitles and English language. It was hilarious(ly bad).

It's not just the whole "future men" thing. The subs are legitimately terrible, inconsistent, and inaccurate.
It's all for that same reason. There is a set of industry/company standards for subtitles that most anime companies follow or at least keep consistent across all DVDs. How many characters per line, the max number of lines, the font, the font colors, the font size, etc are all somewhat standardized.

The Haruhi DVDs do not follow those standards. The first reaction when people got the DVDs is "The font is huge/larger than normal". What happened was something like the following: The translated script was made, edited, and then adapted to the dub script. Normally, the edited script is turned into the subtitles more or less. Key words are normally left alone. In this unusual case, the subtitle script was yet again edited heavily afterwards because someone had decided to break one some of the standards but follow others. What you see for the Haruhi dub is very likely what the original subtitle script resembled.
Old 2009-04-13, 03:34   Link #3254
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It's all for that same reason. There is a set of industry/company standards for subtitles that most anime companies follow or at least keep consistent across all DVDs. How many characters per line, the max number of lines, the font, the font colors, the font size, etc are all somewhat standardized.

The Haruhi DVDs do not follow those standards. The first reaction when people got the DVDs is "The font is huge/larger than normal". What happened was something like the following: The translated script was made, edited, and then adapted to the dub script. Normally, the edited script is turned into the subtitles more or less. Key words are normally left alone. In this unusual case, the subtitle script was yet again edited heavily afterwards because someone had decided to break one some of the standards but follow others. What you see for the Haruhi dub is very likely what the original subtitle script resembled.
And this is why the localized DVDs are terrible.

Hopefully we can get someone else, not Bandai, to do the new season.

I'd also like to point out that the subs and the dub were done by two different companies, which may have had something to do with it.
Old 2009-04-13, 03:48   Link #3255
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
It sounds TERRIBLE in English though.

Would you prefer "spacemen" to aliens? After all, all the aliens are from space...
I don't mind "spacemen", either, since, while connotatively distinct from the appropriate definition of "alien", they mean the same thing. Unlike "future men" and "time traveler", actually, which are connotatively and denotatively dissimilar.

Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Or maybe it just reminds me of 50's alien movies, which given the context reminds me of the SOS-Dan girls wearing those skimpy retro "spacesuits" and toting ray guns. Rowr...
Old 2009-04-13, 04:02   Link #3256
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I don't mind "spacemen", either, since, while connotatively distinct from the appropriate definition of "alien", they mean the same thing. Unlike "future men" and "time traveler", actually, which are connotatively and denotatively dissimilar.
People from the future are automatically time travelers though. And, in the end, it boils down to the same thing.

Besides, these days, you certainly can't refer to them all as "men", especially given that the characters in question are female...

Quote:
Or maybe it just reminds me of 50's alien movies, which given the context reminds me of the SOS-Dan girls wearing those skimpy retro "spacesuits" and toting ray guns. Rowr...
Those were ridiculous. And yet hot because Haruhi was in a ponytail.
Old 2009-04-13, 04:20   Link #3257
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
I'd also like to point out that the subs and the dub were done by two different companies, which may have had something to do with it.
Really? I thought Bang Zoom! Entertainment was credited for both... who the hell did Bandai get to do the subs, then?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well at least it's consistent...
Old 2009-04-13, 06:30   Link #3258
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Bandai may have a hand in the YouTube broadcast.

http://www.bandai-ent.com/

Bandai's website has this as an entry page. It's blank, just says "April 15, 2009" (day of the rebroadcast hitting YouTube) and typical of Haruhi-related US-based websites it's riddled with comments hidden within its HTML coding.

Quote:
<!-- The end of the universe is 'nigh. -->
<!-- Not the end... a new beginning? -->
<!-- Good luck to you, sir. -->
<!-- Good luck to all of us. -->
<!-- It has been a pleasure serving with you. -->
<!-- Inform remaining forces to remove safeties and fire at will on my mark. -->
<!-- The dreams of the many outweigh the dreams of a few. -->
<!-- Ramming speed, ensign. Make it a surprise. -->
Old 2009-04-13, 06:52   Link #3259
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... only the first two sound Haruhi-related... the rest sound like Star Trek quotes
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well at least it's consistent...
Old 2009-04-13, 07:04   Link #3260
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Question

Quote:
Except "spacemen" implies men from space. I don't think the IDE counts as anything remotely human.

...of course Haruhi wouldn't know that...unless she did.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen