AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-14, 20:21   Link #3841
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It makes sense.
Exactly.

But who said Kadokawa had to make sense?

Aggh, ninja'd.
Old 2009-05-14, 22:41   Link #3842
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
This is Kadokawa. When do they ever make sense?

It does seem like a good idea, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Exactly.

But who said Kadokawa had to make sense?

Aggh, ninja'd.
At this point Kadokawa making sense makes no sense. Of course, if they ever plan to make more money off the franchise, they'll have to start doing so eventually.
Old 2009-05-14, 22:42   Link #3843
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
They probably need the extra sales anyways... Dammit, hurry up Kadokawa! I want my Disappearance!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2009-05-14, 22:55   Link #3844
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

This is why my faith is in KyoAni, not Kadokawa.
Old 2009-05-15, 00:03   Link #3845
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
The simplest answer? Because the second season relies heavily on plot content from the first, and they want it to be fresh in people's minds.
As well as make new converts to Haruhiism.
Old 2009-05-15, 05:09   Link #3846
Jintor

We can but pray.
Old 2009-05-15, 05:12   Link #3847
Justin Kim
*Artist

K-On! and Haruhi are both shows that give off the feeling of "trend," I presume. If K-On! were to come out later than the second season of Haruhi, I am pretty sure we would still watch it as Haruhi episodes comes out.
Old 2009-05-15, 05:18   Link #3848
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
K-On! and Haruhi are both shows that give off the feeling of "trend," I presume.
Haruhi is 50 billion times more intelligent than the sickeningly moe, undeservedly popular crap that is K-On.

Not that it's not entertaining, but...
Old 2009-05-15, 05:26   Link #3849
Justin Kim
*Artist

K-On! Haruhi has more fans, but K-On! is just a new anime that was introduced. I mean I do not see it rivaling the amount of fans that arouse from Haruhi, but I still see a heartwarming storyline in both anime productions. In a sense, K-On! is kind of a show to kill time, just like any other anime, unless you have a really deep appreciation for these kinds of things.
Old 2009-05-15, 05:52   Link #3850
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
What are any of you people even basing any of your points off of? Also why would they slip in a new season without announcing that it's going to air first? It strikes me as totally counterproductive towards maximizing viewership. Has anyone even considered this yet?
Old 2009-05-15, 06:03   Link #3851
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What are any of you people even basing any of your points off of? Also why would they slip in a new season without announcing that it's going to air first? It strikes me as totally counterproductive towards maximizing viewership. Has anyone even considered this yet?
To raise the hopes of the masses that were expecting a second season. I don't think it has been counter-productive. Pretty much the "re-birth" of Haruhi appreciation. The Haruhi Renaissance!
Old 2009-05-15, 06:30   Link #3852
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Haruhi is 50 billion times more intelligent than the sickeningly moe, undeservedly popular crap that is K-On.

I watched a bit of K-on. It was amusing, but it doesn't have the stopping power of Haruhi. Haruhi is so popular because it has all this mindfucky things going on in the background. K-on's pretty conventional.

It's like comparing a 9mm to a .44 magnum.
Old 2009-05-15, 06:33   Link #3853
Jintor

One'll blow your head off, but they'll both kill you just fine?
Old 2009-05-15, 06:45   Link #3854
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
mindfucky things going on in the background
Mindfucky? I wanna lol. They looks "like mindufcking", but doesn't have much in common with really mindfucking things.

Also, Haruhi is "moeish" enough like K-on and attracts 99 % of fans because of comedy part and good story. Moreover, there are enough anime that are "50 billion times more intelligent" then Haruhi. But fanboys never want to know the truth.
Old 2009-05-15, 07:28   Link #3855
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
One'll blow your head off, but they'll both kill you just fine?
It's debatable whether or not 9mm kills people "just fine".

But I digress, K-on! is a pretty amusing show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Also, Haruhi is "moeish" enough like K-on and attracts 99 % of fans because of comedy part and good story. Moreover, there are enough anime that are "50 billion times more intelligent" then Haruhi. But fanboys never want to know the truth.
Agreed. It's just that Haruhi does it in an interesting way while. And frankly, Haruhi is just more meme friendly than allot of other shows. Memes make everything more hilarious.
Old 2009-05-15, 08:18   Link #3856
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:

Well, it's not that undeserved, but i agree with you, K-On is a little overrated. Of course that when you got a character like Mio and a lot of MOE situations, it's hard to not get famous in the otaku community, hehe
Old 2009-05-15, 09:49   Link #3857
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It strikes me as totally counterproductive towards maximizing viewership. Has anyone even considered this yet?
Many, many people have, and I have the same response for all of them:

Just like the original broadcast: Word of Mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Also, Haruhi is "moeish" enough like K-on
Bullshit. The only character who qualifies as moe trash in Haruhi is Mikuru, and, well, we all know who's fault that is.

K-On has characters that seem specifically designed to evoke superficial, cheap moe and laughs, and piss me the fuck off as a result.

I swear, I didn't even get this mad at Lucky Star. Oh wait, that's because Lucky Star had characters that were legitimately hilarious.

All K-On has is Sawako, and honestly, I've seen that character type before and it's getting a little old...

God I hate Mio so much.

I do love hate how the fans latched on to her before the show even aired, further latched onto her due to her apparent Yomi/Kagami-esque personality in the first episode, and when the second episode turned this around, the same people continued to like her even more for some god-unknown reason.

It's a meme. "Hey, Mio is an adorable moe character. You should like her because everyone else does." "Lol k."

This is why I watch good anime with an actual story. Like Haruhi. And yes I know Haruhi doesn't have that much of a plot either. At least it doesn't restort to base pandering outside of, say, Mikuru, and Mikuru isn't exactly the best character, either...

/angry no sleep rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
Of course that when you got a character like Mio and a lot of MOE situations, it's hard to not get famous in the otaku community, hehe
Moe is inherently subjective.

If you can convince the fans that something is moe before the show even broadcasts, however... see above.
Old 2009-05-15, 11:25   Link #3858
wittyusername
Seitenkan's Loli

Send a message via MSN to wittyusername
I see your angry, no sleep rant and raise you a just-woken-up, 80% asleep rant. With worse grammar.

Quote:
K-On has characters that seem specifically designed to evoke superficial, cheap moe and laughs, and piss me the fuck off as a result.
Exactly. I'm not going to deny that K-On is somewhat entertaining, but it's not something that I'd care for more of. If K-On was for some reason given a second season, but it was delayed, I don't think too many people would be on threads like this one, looking for news about a second season of Haruhi in between off-topic discussions. Even if that happened to K-On, I doubt the discussions would be about anything other than Mio, with fans of other characters (because it's apparently possible!) popping in from time to time to proclaim their love.

With K-On...I don't know. I already said it was predictable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. K-On seems to take character types that are already known (the energetic one, the shy one, etc) and then proceed to not do anything different or creative with them. Haruhi takes those character types and other tropes and whatnot and plays with them, making something new.

The one thing that I really don't like about K-On is that I can see what's going to happen already. That goes back to the predictability thing. In the beginning of an episode of K-On, there's a plot point introduced, and instantly you can tell how the characters will react to it. Even if the plot point was something weird or new or different, it would feel the same as any other episode of the series, because the characters would react in the same way. Ritsu would be energetic and super-happy and playfully abusive towards Mio, who would be shy but would pull through. Yui would daydream for a while before being snapped back to reality, just in time to showcase how she is actually useful for something. Tsumugi would sit there and pour tea, acting rich but in an unobtrusive way. They all have fun together and yay, happiness, the episode's done, so have some pictures of Mio singing.

Haruhi might also do something playfully abusive (or just plain abusive) to Mikuru, and she's also ridiculously energetic, but not all the time. It's not driven into your face that Haruhi is the genki girl character! Look! She's hyper! She's doing something! She's not always like that, and it's been shown in every version of the series that there's more to her character. There have been discussions (Internet discussions, but whatever, leave me alone and let me continue in my pitiful attempt to agree with someone and maybe make some sort of point, aside from that I'm an idiot) over what happened in the most recent episode of both series. Hey, it's Captain Obvious, here to restate a widely known fact! The discussions for K-On are filled mostly with stuff like "Aw, Mio was so cute," "HNNNGH MOE OVERLOAD," and "so-and-so was less of an [insert character here] this episode! ...Well, would you look at that." The discussions for episodes of Haruhi had more than that. Sure, once in a while you'd get a remark about Mikuru being a teary-eyed moeblob or Tsuruya being Batman pretty awesome, but that made up a fraction of what happened during the episode. Maybe there wasn't that much plot in Haruhi, but at least what was there didn't consist of firmly established characters doing cute things, just like you knew they would.

Also, a dropkick is a much better dynamic entry than...whatever the hell Ritsu did.

Quote:
God I hate Mio so much.
YES.

Quote:
Moe is inherently subjective.
Hell, everything is subjective. That's why this post will either be completely ignored (likely), or dissected and mocked. It's not that I'm saying that K-On is a terrible show and Haruhi is the show to rule them all. I'm saying that I think Haruhi's better than K-On, and I'm explaining why I think that. It's just opinions, nothing anyone has to give a shit about.

...obviously.

Jesus Christ did I just write all that illiterate-sounding crap about an anime series? Two of them? Oh God I need to go play an organized sport.
Old 2009-05-15, 12:34   Link #3859
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Not sure why just a few years ago, people still have no idea what moe is, and now the majority of the western otaku population is into moe.

And I'm still not sure why mecha didn't catch on as much over the decades as moe did in these years. While people understood what the word moe means, they still don't know what hotbloodedness is.

Anyway intelligent anime generally provides 2 types of responses, great praise from fans who understood the show and clueless critics who claim the show is nonsense and overrated. It seems that removing intelligence from shows seem to be easier to appeal to audience. But removing intelligence to appeal audience itself requires intelligence on the creators' part. Appearing non-intelligent itself is an intelligent thing.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-05-15, 13:01   Link #3860
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Westerners seems to like either space ship combat, or robots fighting, but don't really get into piloted robots fighting. They don't really want to care about the human inside, just the robot itself. This is why Transformers does well, but Robotech (Macross) fades away and Gundam hasn't taken off in the States. Combining things into larger robots still has a following though out from the Voltron crowd to Power Rangers.

It also might be the voice acting turns people away Or the attempts to market to a very young crowd. But then even the attempts to do it western style don't do very well for serious shows. Audiances just don't want to have to care about someone inside a mech, and Hollywood (and the actors) want face time, not to be off screen most of the movie.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen