AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-11, 14:38   Link #161
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
^ nice for roughs.
i'm just picky about the fact that cropped head aren't all the time classy. here, the fact i can't see the whole face irks me a bit, and distract me from the subject.
Animesuki is extremely big, and the font is fairly too bland.

i think you should give a bit more emphasis on the sky, since both render and animesuki are completely stealing the attention (well mine anyway )
last nitpicking : the right side of the render might be better if it is completely opaque ^^"

the impression is rather neat and clean, some size adjustements are required, nothing really major.
so, i prefer the first version, since it has a bit more "sky" in it meh.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 14:46   Link #162
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 27
My final entries are here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=487

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
These two are my first roughs... I'm a little indecisive so opinions are welcome.
Can't really decide between which of the two is better. They both look equal. But overall looks nice. The only thing i notice is that the white lines. Try make the lines blend in better imo.

Well my final 2 entries for the daytime gradient. Didn't got much feedback about them so i didn't changed much about them. And i don't have a idea for another 3th banner, so may as well leave it. Hope i'll do better at the other gradient's

Iriya no Sora banner


Sola Banner
__________________

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders

Last edited by Sephi; 2007-07-26 at 12:41.
Sephi is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 14:47   Link #163
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
@Klashikari

I see... thank you for your helpful comments, I'll take it into consideration when revising it.
kayos is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 14:54   Link #164
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
These two are my first roughs... I'm a little indecisive so opinions are welcome.

I like this one a lot. The fact that we can only see a part of her face makes the whole banner feel cooler.

A little bit more clouds could help, though.

EDIT:

Hmmmm. are those feathers in the background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post

Well my final 2 entries for the daytime gradient. Didn't got much feedback about them so i didn't changed much about them. And i don't have a idea for another 3th banner, so may as well leave it. Hope i'll do better at the other gradient's

Iriya no Sora banner


Sola Banner
You got it pretty well with both entries, IMO.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 14:58   Link #165
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post

Well my final 2 entries for the daytime gradient. Didn't got much feedback about them so i didn't changed much about them. And i don't have a idea for another 3th banner, so may as well leave it. Hope i'll do better at the other gradient's
i think you didn't see my earlier comment then
basically, my problem is the "inner edges", especially Iriya banner. to be more accurate, the left side is simply too opaque, and you can see it isn't really merged with the gradient BG, but rather piled on it. in fact, you can actually deduce it is a square picture, which the edges has been smoothed with blur. i think you should use a soft eraser, and change the left shape so it would look like a cloud.

the same goes for sola left side, though much less obvious.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 15:37   Link #166
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Well my final 2 entries for the daytime gradient. Didn't got much feedback about them so i didn't changed much about them. And i don't have a idea for another 3th banner, so may as well leave it. Hope i'll do better at the other gradient's

Iriya no Sora banner


Sola Banner
I can only repeat what Klashikari said - work a bit on those edges on the left side and they are good to go. It might be nice to lose a bit of the brightness for the bird in the Iriya banner though - it is a bit intrusive, to the point it draws attention away from Iriya simply because it sticks out too much.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 16:37   Link #167
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i agree that the bird is rather obstructive...to me it looks fake which is rather bad :/ how bout try giving it a white outer glow? and maybe lower the visibility of the whole image ^.^
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 16:56   Link #168
Dene
Meow~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 26
Here's my entrys ^.^








Spoiler for I gave this a try to =):
Dene is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 18:02   Link #169
Arakawa
Mugiwara
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal :O
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No i agree with Daniel : i still can see the issue on the gradients of the banner.
i can distinguish the banner itself with the 2 mini template at each sides.

there is a problem with the quality i guess. (since it is in PNG, i guess it has been decerased a lot for the size. i would suggest Jpeg, i have encountered near to no problems with gradients with this format)
Indeed. I was rushing a bit before since I was busy with playing all the MGS titles within the week. So I must've overlooked it. Since some were over sized, I just save for web, and compressed it under 60 kb, the initial setting must've lowered the quality extensively. Either way, when looking at the .psd, I forget about checking the optimized file.

Edit: Here are the jpeg versions, any better? 'casue I have a bad eye for these things :|





__________________

Last edited by Arakawa; 2007-07-11 at 18:15.
Arakawa is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 18:18   Link #170
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Well... here go my first submission ^_^.



Comments, comments
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 18:21   Link #171
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
@arakawa :
Spoiler for arakawa banners:


Not sure if it is a nocebo effect or anything, but i "think" i still see them on the 2 first banner, while the third one isn't affected. should need someone else to confirm or not... (meh... 1:25AM... that might explain why i can' be sure...)

@aoi_emesai




as you can see... the edges aren't good.
also, the render takes a lot of place, which leave hardly an impression of sky in fact :x
not too sure of the effect of "greek" for the font :x
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 18:27   Link #172
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
OH GOD! I used a 720 instead of a 760 . I better change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
@arakawa :
Spoiler for arakawa banners:


Not sure if it is a nocebo effect or anything, but i "think" i still see them on the 2 first banner, while the third one isn't affected. should need someone else to confirm or not... (meh... 1:25AM... that might explain why i can' be sure...)

@aoi_emesai




as you can see... the edges aren't good.
also, the render takes a lot of place, which leave hardly an impression of sky in fact :x
not too sure of the effect of "greek" for the font :x
Of course constructive criticism is always good, but i'll fix what I can for you. ^_^

ps: I'm rather stuck at her fingers cause the image i've extracted her from don't go past that.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-07-11 at 19:17.
Aoie_Emesai is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 18:47   Link #173
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakawa View Post
Edit: Here are the jpeg versions, any better? 'casue I have a bad eye for these things :|





They are still there for all 3 banners ... though barely noticeable in the 3rd one (right side more so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Well... here go my first submission ^_^.



Comments, comments
Same as Klashikari - the edges are no good, and since the picture is so big it hardly leaves any room for the "Sky" impression.

urgh, 2:50 am @_@ ... i better get some sleep >.>
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2007-07-11, 18:55   Link #174
Arakawa
Mugiwara
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal :O
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
They are still there for all 3 banners ... though barely noticeable in the 3rd one (right side more so).
Really? I just checked them right now by taking the original gradient from the first page and messing with the transparency, there's no difference that I can see. Maybe it's just this crappy computer. I don't know, but I really don't see a difference.
__________________
Arakawa is offline  
Old 2007-07-12, 01:07   Link #175
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
It might be nice to lose a bit of the brightness for the bird in the Iriya banner though - it is a bit intrusive, to the point it draws attention away from Iriya simply because it sticks out too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i agree that the bird is rather obstructive...to me it looks fake which is rather bad :/ how bout try giving it a white outer glow? and maybe lower the visibility of the whole image ^.^
If the source image is the same one I have, then the bird is part of the original and cannot be moved/altered so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakawa View Post
Really? I just checked them right now by taking the original gradient from the first page and messing with the transparency, there's no difference that I can see. Maybe it's just this crappy computer. I don't know, but I really don't see a difference.


See the red wave on the right side? It goes all the way to the edge and makes a cut in the gradient.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2007-07-12, 06:09   Link #176
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 27
My final entries are here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=487

Aah sorry Klashikari totally missed your comment. And funny how i never notice it and when someone mention it. I realize it's so obvious Instead of feather blending on edges i used layer mask blending. Hopefully it results in a smoother blending from the banner to the gradient.

Reworked the Iriya banner completely. Made the bird smaller and put it as decoration near the text...

@Daniel_E your right about the source. Luckily i could get my hands on the original image. The bird has been made smaller now.

Also added a birdless version.
__________________

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders

Last edited by Sephi; 2007-07-26 at 12:41.
Sephi is offline  
Old 2007-07-12, 08:47   Link #177
saphyre
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Age: 26
These are the two that I've made so far.
I don't think I'll consider these my final pieces yet, since I just completed them :P.
Here they are.


First one: Misuzu from 'AIR'.


I think the word placement for this one is somewhat out of place. Can't seem to find a good place to put it though.

Version 2:


Changed the position of the text, still don't know which is good, I'll let you guys decide.


Second one: Ayu from 'Kanon'.


Feel free to give some feedback, go easy though .
__________________

Last edited by saphyre; 2007-07-12 at 09:42.
saphyre is offline  
Old 2007-07-12, 09:23   Link #178
Arakawa
Mugiwara
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal :O
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
If the source image is the same one I have, then the bird is part of the original and cannot be moved/altered so easily.





See the red wave on the right side? It goes all the way to the edge and makes a cut in the gradient.
Oh, I see what you mean now, before this final version, previous versions had Ikki much closer to the center, hence me not noticing the big difference here. When I was checking gradients, I just checked the left side <_<.

Spoiler:


What I still don't understand is the other two o_O
__________________
Arakawa is offline  
Old 2007-07-12, 09:42   Link #179
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphyre View Post
These are the two that I've made so far.
I don't think I'll consider these my final pieces yet, since I just completed them :P.
Here they are.


First one: Misuzu from 'AIR'.


I think the word placement for this one is somewhat out of place. Can't seem to find a good place to put it though.


Second one: Ayu from 'Kanon'.


Feel free to give some feedback, go easy though .
ooo very nice

1) imo they both suffer sudden gradient changes if you look at the sides...i would try and smooth them out for a better effect

2) for your misuzu one there are 2 light sources ~ i would instead move the lens flare to the left light "globe" or remove that obstruction ~

3) for the ayu one im not too sure about the faiding ayu on the right...it would make more sense if you made the colours more solid cause now it looks pretty dull >.< maybe a lens flare over to that area can do the trick
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-07-12, 10:02   Link #180
saphyre
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ooo very nice

1) imo they both suffer sudden gradient changes if you look at the sides...i would try and smooth them out for a better effect

2) for your misuzu one there are 2 light sources ~ i would instead move the lens flare to the left light "globe" or remove that obstruction ~

3) for the ayu one im not too sure about the faiding ayu on the right...it would make more sense if you made the colours more solid cause now it looks pretty dull >.< maybe a lens flare over to that area can do the trick
Ooo thanks for the tips.
Did a little fiddling about with my Ayu one, added the things that you said that might make it look better... And the results are...

Ayu Version 2:



Looks alot better! . IMO anyway :P.

EDIT:

Misuzu Version 3:



Did a few changes to this too.
__________________

Last edited by saphyre; 2007-07-12 at 11:06.
saphyre is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
banner contest, contest

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.