AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 37 36.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 30.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 22.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.98%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-15, 23:22   Link #141
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Well, it would be pretty silly to argue about what constitutes good comedy. This isn't really a show that we can pick apart for plot inconsistancies and the like, so we're not going to get many crazy arguments here. I love arguing in favor of an absolute truth, but to do so for a show like Lucky☆Star would be quite ridiculous.

Basically, every single part of every episode will have people both praising and decrying it, and I think we've more or less gotten used to it (we better have, seeing as it's already episode 14). Some like Lucky Channel, others hate it. Some are amused by the product placement, others are bothered by it. Some like Shiraishi's singing, others are annoyed by it. But the lack of any concrete argument for either side has kept any disputes among sensible people to a restrained level. I guess in that sense, it's not a very controversial show.
And it's also why I won't be doing one of my monster Critiques at the end of this series. Reviews are generally subjective, but Lucky Star is just that type of show where the experience differs from individual to individual. Same goes for car-nut anime like Initial D and Wangan Midnight, and I assume shows like AzuDai as well.

Just watch it, state how much you like it, the end. That's the approach I'm gonna take here.
Old 2007-07-15, 23:55   Link #142
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The sketch nature of the show (4-koma roots) also helps in that regard. As long as they keep bringing at least *SOME* of the manga strips or doing L*S anime-original material, even the L*C, Minoru-sings, or other non-L*S stuff is tolerable (or vice versa).

I have the entire Monty Python series on DVD ... about 50% of it is actually watchable --- hit or miss comedy. With L*S, it's about like watching the old Burns&Allen or Jack Benny comedy shows. Character exposition, some minor development... but most of the comedy derived from them being just who they were.
Old 2007-07-16, 01:24   Link #143
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And it's also why I won't be doing one of my monster Critiques at the end of this series. Reviews are generally subjective, but Lucky Star is just that type of show where the experience differs from individual to individual. Same goes for car-nut anime like Initial D and Wangan Midnight, and I assume shows like AzuDai as well.

Just watch it, state how much you like it, the end. That's the approach I'm gonna take here.
Yeah, that's what I'm planning too. It's really hard to rate shows like Lucky☆Star the same way you'd rate most other anime.
Old 2007-07-16, 02:12   Link #144
gaguri

Lucky*Star evidently evokes so many different responses from different people, so I'll take time here to just describe mine (since we all know my opinion is the law m i right.ha.ha.ha).

As a non-Japanese speaker and someone fairly outside from otaku knowledge, I'd say a fair amount of jokes fly over my head. And in cases where I do get the joke, it's rarely ever hilarious, so it's bit hard for me to understand how people can find it so funny.

So if not through comedy, how does this show appeal to me, someone clearly outside the 'in-group' of Lucky*Star? What I'm feeling isn't hilarity, but rather curiosity and amusement of intriguing and strange things about otakudom and life in general from a Japanese point of view. I find their topic of conversations interesting because that's the type of conversations you'd (or at least I do) have in real life, whether at school, at restaurant, on the train, or at home. Like, we once were eating burgers in McDonalds (which I loathe), and we talked about silly nonsense such as whether we eat chips first, or burger first, or who always take out their pickles in big mac, or who always orders apple pies instead of burgers, etc etc. Did anyone care btw? Maybe not, but at that very situation, you do find these things interesting (or at least we did) enough to talk over it. Or maybe, it's interesting because of the people who are talking about it. So just like their topic of conversations, there's also a feeling of curiosity and amusement from watching the characters, and how they go about observing, speculating, questioning, answering and making jokes about these things. Sometimes they're executed in an exceptional way, sometimes it just drops dead flat, but most of the time they are enough to amuse me. That pretty much sums up its appeal for me; how the characters talks randomly about random things.

Yet, the show never goes beyond silly entertainment and fails to be special or memorable. What is missing? The characters and the things they talk about are amusing, but that's about it. Only thing that has been more than just silly grins was in episode 5, when Tsukasa immersed herself in a state of reverie, which put me in a tranquil mood and just watch Tsukasa, who for that very brief moment, seemed something more than an airhead. Other than that, they just talk about random stuff and it ends at that, while the characters offer not much more than their signature traits (such as Konata's geekiness), which lacks in both variety and depth.

And that's my critical take on the show so far.
Old 2007-07-16, 02:17   Link #145
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

eh, why don't we talk about EP 14 again?

So how many people here e-mailed KyoAni about your support for Akira-sama?

Has anyone tried a real-life Joba? I only saw them in store front window... they just looked too kinky for me to try and I don't know anyone who actually owns one. I will if I see one next time though! Just for Yui-nee-san's sake.

We have not seen Miyuki and Yukata together yet... what do you think will happen? I think there will be a serious disturbance in the Force if they were to meet. Closed Space will form and Giants will be out doing the Hare Hare Yukai Dance. But that's just me.
Old 2007-07-16, 02:26   Link #146
gaguri

Ok let's talk about episode 14. One thing I want to talk about is lucky channel, because it has been blowing a fat one for quite a while, but that's just me. The very notion of that Akira sama, yet another one gag character, making an appearance on the main story is laughable. That anime convention episode pretty much summed up my reaction; a random fan kicking Akira's cardboard stand while no one giving a damn, haha. Why any person would try so hard to make this blasphemy into reality is beyond me.
Old 2007-07-16, 10:29   Link #147
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
eh, why don't we talk about EP 14 again?

So how many people here e-mailed KyoAni about your support for Akira-sama?

Has anyone tried a real-life Joba? I only saw them in store front window... they just looked too kinky for me to try and I don't know anyone who actually owns one. I will if I see one next time though! Just for Yui-nee-san's sake.

We have not seen Miyuki and Yukata together yet... what do you think will happen? I think there will be a serious disturbance in the Force if they were to meet. Closed Space will form and Giants will be out doing the Hare Hare Yukai Dance. But that's just me.
Not me because I don't want them to put me on a mailing list if they do that, and I really just am not interested, nor do I know what to type or how to do it. Besides wouldn't the episode where they would give her the boot or not be made already, if it were something in the far off future than it would make sense since I've noticed they like to have the fans decide what should go in their shows via shows of support. You play it safe by giving the majority what it wants, it's the opposite of what Hollywood does these days, but you also eliminate the element of surprise. I don't think fans should decide what happens in a show for that reason, lack of surprise makes for a somewhat boring view.
Old 2007-07-16, 11:46   Link #148
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Ai, I'm stopping the campagn for Akira-sama. I guess she really has very little fan-base....
Old 2007-07-16, 14:16   Link #149
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I, for one, want Akira off, or at least her old (not to mention stupid) shows of b***hy pot-smoking angsty/angry hangover. If she's staying on LC, at least give her a new mental problem.

As for why I like Lucky*Star...while I value those cultural references, I'm by now quite sure that at least two-thirds fly over my head and the other third were blatant and therefore not too appealing to me. Lately, they've been focusing on too much physical reference (i.e. Keroro, Yugioh, Uguu, and that doujin character) than spoken reference (i.e. Sousuke watermelon shotgun). Right now I generally prefer watching character interactions, which are simply umm...a bit more realistic than the zanier crap these days.
Old 2007-07-16, 14:37   Link #150
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This episode had a lot of manga source in it (thumbs up) but oddly I only gave it an "8". Mostly because it was performing the necessary but troublesome function of introducing new characters .... so although I enjoyed it, I really didn't laugh very much. A few hearty laughs and I'd have given it a "9" though. So... I enjoyed it but it was mostly a smile time rather than a laugh time.
Welcome to Vexx's inconsistent rating system

L*C and ED ..... they *really* need to drop the whole thing now and let Shi and Aki be characters in the regular show as "walkthrough bickering parts".

I suspect that was the last we'll see of Minoru's live-action karaoke given the ending of it. I liked his clowning and it was a good place to finish. Finally we have a male "idol" who seems to have quite a following. Good job! I'd still like to see a live-action performance of L*C with the two VAs though.

I'm sure the "Nagato" comparisions are flying... but this really is the sort of character Minami is in the manga. She's more of an amalgam of Sakaki (AzuDa) and the type of character Nagato parodied in SHnY.

The Yutaka/Minami combo is a bit of an homage to the Sakaki/Chiyo AzuDa combo. Expect to see more AzuDa homage as the gang visits Miyuki's home later and we watch Yutaka and Minami interact.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-07-16 at 14:48.
Old 2007-07-16, 14:58   Link #151
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Boy, this thread is a depressing read. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one left who actually likes the show.

But I do like it. Even the Lucky Channel part. And the Animate Tenchou. And the product placement. And the references.
Old 2007-07-16, 15:06   Link #152
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Boy, this thread is a depressing read. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one left who actually likes the show.

But I do like it. Even the Lucky Channel part. And the Animate Tenchou. And the product placement. And the references.
Whao, I love the show. I just love the old ED even more, that's all. I even liked the first Shiraishi ED. It's the last two that's getting on my nerves, but man, I've not supported an anime like this for years.
Old 2007-07-16, 15:13   Link #153
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, OK, I don't like the Shiraishi ED either.
Old 2007-07-16, 15:36   Link #154
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eh? I *love* this show despite the warts. At its heart is just a lovely little group of characters. Its just hard to see sometimes for all the unrelated hoopla.
Old 2007-07-16, 19:27   Link #155
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
...Yet, the show never goes beyond silly entertainment and fails to be special or memorable. What is missing? The characters and the things they talk about are amusing, but that's about it. Only thing that has been more than just silly grins was in episode 5, when Tsukasa immersed herself in a state of reverie, which put me in a tranquil mood and just watch Tsukasa, who for that very brief moment, seemed something more than an airhead. Other than that, they just talk about random stuff and it ends at that, while the characters offer not much more than their signature traits (such as Konata's geekiness), which lacks in both variety and depth....
You make me realize that I do think the show "goes beyond," and is special and memorable. By talking about random stuff, they create a feeling of depth, for me (as you say, responses vary). For me, the script, acting, and animation combine to make characters that come alive. Even in what they do, the characters are so much more than their "signature traits": Konata is a geek who does not do that well in school, who has a lot of domestic abilities and loves her family, who seems harsh but loves her friends (one in particular) and can be quite tender, who is sure of herself yet insecure, etc. Not one-dimensional, it seems to me. I love this show in part because it is comedy that comes through with moments of seriousness and heart.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2007-07-16, 21:18   Link #156
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Well I like parts of the show...Not really the show as a whole.

Funny thing is when I remember back to the first episode the main part did little for me and L*C was the thing that made me laugh most, while now its basically flipped. I won't really say I hate akira I just wish theyd do something different with her...anything different to be precise.

But I did genuinely love this episode excluding the aforementioned parts. *points to poll*

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-07-16, 22:09   Link #157
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
You make me realize that I do think the show "goes beyond," and is special and memorable. By talking about random stuff, they create a feeling of depth, for me (as you say, responses vary). For me, the script, acting, and animation combine to make characters that come alive. Even in what they do, the characters are so much more than their "signature traits": Konata is a geek who does not do that well in school, who has a lot of domestic abilities and loves her family, who seems harsh but loves her friends (one in particular) and can be quite tender, who is sure of herself yet insecure, etc. Not one-dimensional, it seems to me. I love this show in part because it is comedy that comes through with moments of seriousness and heart.
That's one post that, word for word, I agree wholeheartedly with. Its the core of Lucky Star and why I grit my teeth through the confetti and distractions, because I can still see it.
Old 2007-07-16, 22:24   Link #158
aorta

At the pace the timeline is going, won't Konata be watching herself on TV pretty soon?
Old 2007-07-16, 22:38   Link #159
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
At the pace the timeline is going, won't Konata be watching herself on TV pretty soon?
Lol. Brilliant!
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2007-07-16, 22:54   Link #160
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Well...she pretty much read herself on Comptiq, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Best case scenario would turn out as follows:
1) Konata watching Lucky Channel (satisfies Akira's wish for appearance...or they can fudge her out again).
2) Akira grudgingly announces the winner some sort of grand prize on TV and it turns out to be Konata (Izumi Konata from Saitama Perfecture!). The prize has something to do with: 1:8 FMP, 1:6 Lucky Star itself, 1:4 Keroro Gunso, and 1:2 Kanon.
3) Shirashi enthusiastically congratulates her (Tsukasa: "Look it's Sebastian!")
4) and Konata goes insane while Yukata and/or Kagami comments.

All the while I'll roll on the floor laughing.
Closed Thread