AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 37 36.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 30.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 22.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.98%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-16, 23:03   Link #161
gaguri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru_Chujo
You make me realize that I do think the show "goes beyond," and is special and memorable. By talking about random stuff, they create a feeling of depth, for me (as you say, responses vary). For me, the script, acting, and animation combine to make characters that come alive. Even in what they do, the characters are so much more than their "signature traits": Konata is a geek who does not do that well in school, who has a lot of domestic abilities and loves her family, who seems harsh but loves her friends (one in particular) and can be quite tender, who is sure of herself yet insecure, etc. Not one-dimensional, it seems to me. I love this show in part because it is comedy that comes through with moments of seriousness and heart.
You must understand that in memorable characters, I look for something more than things like 'does not do that well in school', or 'is good at cooking and cleaning', or 'loves her family' etc. Those little informations aren't worth too much of my interest. I'll use Nodame as an example of a memorable character from a recent show. At first she was hilarious. She had multiple traits, such as being lazy, obnoxious, hilarious, talented, etc etc. An entertaining character, like Konata, but not memorable. What made Nodame memorable was how there are moments where she shines and leaves an impression. Not because she was 'obnoxious' or 'ridiculously lazy', but because of the way I felt her heart restrained by memories of the past, her unrelenting struggle to overcome it and how her encounters with different characters let her find that softness, richness, power in classical music once again. It's how I was absorbed into Nodame's struggles and joys, far beyond anything of Konata's 'level of otaku' or 'good ability to do housework'. For that reason, no matter how many more traits Konata has, it will still not make a big impression on me, while it obviously has to you according to your statement. I'm guessing that's our key difference in how we see characters of Lucky*Star.
Old 2007-07-17, 11:20   Link #162
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Lucky Star Episode 14 Review Is Up From Me

Let me tell everyone, I actually had a blast with this episode, not just compared to the last one, but in general. It had the good solid wit and character humour that I've missed for the longest time in this show. Even if the next one turns out to not be to my liking, this one shows me there's still a chance that there's life left in this show yet.

9/10 by the way.
Old 2007-07-17, 15:54   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Now THIS is a sign of the apocalypse Kaioshin, you've rated an episode higher than I did

But I agree... this episode contains more of the "heart" of L*S than some of the others have. I love that heart and core of the show and will continue to cheer it on.
Old 2007-07-17, 17:28   Link #164
Trail

ROFL, best ending ever. Was literally crying...

11/10.

Seriously the whole episode rocked.
Old 2007-07-17, 18:19   Link #165
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

For me I haven't read the manga, so this whole show is completely golden for me

mind u that goes for alot fo other shows I watch. Its great not having to go "OMG FILLER!!!WTF!!! ITS THE END OF WORLD!!!"

this ep rocks as Kona's dad is just WIN!
Old 2007-07-17, 22:25   Link #166
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

There must be something wrong with me...my ratings tend to go exactly against either public opinion or Kaioshin. Every episode I don't like, you love, and every episode I love, you don't like.

Maybe it has to do with my mood when I was watching. -_-
Old 2007-07-17, 23:27   Link #167
t3ck
Anime Freak

Wrong episode thread...
Old 2007-07-19, 09:18   Link #168
ReinhartX

ahhh we got yukata into the family now ^^....just a question the voice actor for yukata is the same as chiyo-chan from azumanga right O.O
Old 2007-07-19, 13:17   Link #169
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Yukata don't have voice actors. XD According to ANN, Yutaka is voiced by Shizuka Hasegawa and Chiyo from Azumanga is voiced by Tomoko Kaneda.
Old 2007-07-19, 13:30   Link #170
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was waiting for someone to make that typo..... Hell, I've made it a dozen times but my neural auto-backspace has caught it so far.

You say Yukata, I say Yutaka ... la la la la la.....

(for the novices: yukata are summer or housewear kimono-like light garments .... Yutaka is a small high-pitched cherub person)

It just seems to me that the Yutaki/Minami combo is an intentional homage of Chiyo/Sakaki .... I'm sure there will subtle references to AzuDa in their appearances (there's a few in the comic).
Old 2007-07-19, 15:18   Link #171
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It just seems to me that the Yutaki/Minami combo is an intentional homage of Chiyo/Sakaki .... I'm sure there will subtle references to AzuDa in their appearances (there's a few in the comic).
I was a big AzuDai fan so I'd agree (I think I started watching the show because it was said to be similar). Their pairing is very similar.. I remember in AzuDai it was Chiyo who first befriended Sasaki. But Minami and Sasaki has one, eh, huge, difference, if some charts were to be believed...
Old 2007-07-20, 10:25   Link #172
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Miyuki's mom having a one hour conversation with a telemarketer was funny and also cruel

I worked as a telemarketer for a short time one summer, they usually get paid based on how many sales they do, not by the hour :P During my short career I actually got 3 cases of people who tried to make me listen to all their crap, and they can really go on for hours. I hung up on them pre-emptively. ^^
Old 2007-07-20, 13:10   Link #173
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm always sorry to hear *anyone* has to work as a telemarketer. It is cruel to the soul for the most part because one generally isn't selling something people actually need.

Beginning to look like we're going to lag more than one fansub behind the broadcast schedule with all the groups .... ahhh, summertime
Old 2007-07-20, 13:21   Link #174
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Ahh, but there have been some really good summer season releases so far, they've got me bouncing in my socks that I've hardly been noticing L*S's release schedule...

*dodges thrown tomatoes*
Old 2007-07-21, 05:21   Link #175
Simon
気持ち悪い

A cultural trivia question for anyone who understands Japanese schools. The day Yutaka and Minami meet at high school is described as "the day of orientation and uniform fitting" - does this mean that Japanese schoolkids buy their uniforms from their school? I don't know about other countries, but here in NZ uniforms are sold by local shops and it's up to each family to sort themselves out.

I'm guessing this orientation day is before the day of the entrance ceremony, since every ceremony I've seen (in anime, that is) shows the pupils in their new uniforms. But it always seems that they find out what class they're in on the day of the ceremony, so is orientation more a general "get to know the school" thing?
Old 2007-07-21, 16:34   Link #176
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
A cultural trivia question for anyone who understands Japanese schools. The day Yutaka and Minami meet at high school is described as "the day of orientation and uniform fitting" - does this mean that Japanese schoolkids buy their uniforms from their school? I don't know about other countries, but here in NZ uniforms are sold by local shops and it's up to each family to sort themselves out.

I'm guessing this orientation day is before the day of the entrance ceremony, since every ceremony I've seen (in anime, that is) shows the pupils in their new uniforms. But it always seems that they find out what class they're in on the day of the ceremony, so is orientation more a general "get to know the school" thing?
Day of orientation is the day more of a informational day; you get facts about the school and meet the principal and the teachers. You also gets your measurement taken by local tailor shops and place your order for your uniform on that day as well. The tailors then makes the uniform and the student needs to pick them up before the Opening Ceremony, which is on a later date. You MUST be in your new uniform at the Opening Ceremony. Your assumptions are basically correct.

I don't know if you guys gets this, but uniforms are pretty "sacred" object to a Japanese student. Although they have a closet, many students hang their uni on the wall. Some students do this it so they can get to it easily in the morning, some does it to show respect. You can't just walk into a tailor shop and order a uniform - the orders are usually ONLY taken during the day of orientation since that's the only time the tailor know for sure who's an entering student. The school usually contract a single tailor or two for all their uniform needs, so if the shops start selling them to cosplay-otas, the school will get rid of them pretty darn fast; plenty of tailor shops are dying for a fat contact like this. The uniform carries the spirit and the image of the school, so the school and the students make a big deal out of them. MOST students keep their HS uniforms for life.

I never got to goto one so this is all second-hand info... not sure if it's the same for all school. Some vocational HS are pretty relaxed, but I know elite schools like Katsukabe Kyoei would follow these rules.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-21 at 16:54.
Old 2007-07-21, 16:50   Link #177
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Konata kept her uniform (for cosplay purposes). It's the Hiiragi twins who gave theirs away.
Old 2007-07-21, 16:53   Link #178
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
MOST students keep their HS uniforms for life (unlike Kona-chan).
I'm counting on the minority who give theirs away.

(Bwahaha)
Old 2007-07-21, 20:57   Link #179
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
The school usually contract a single tailor or two for all their uniform needs, so if the shops start selling them to cosplay-otas, the school will get rid of them pretty darn fast
In fact even as we speak, yakuza are placing orders with their Chinese factories for knock-off KyoEi uniforms. Buy yours today and support organised crime in your neighbourhood! (Spot the Shimotsuma Monogatari fan...)

But seriously, thanks for the info. Not only does it make the show that bit more comprehensible, but picking up these little cultural details is exactly why slice-of-life anime appeal to me so much.
Old 2007-07-22, 00:57   Link #180
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I'm counting on the minority who give theirs away.

(Bwahaha)
Rissa-chan, you can still buy the fictional uni Konata wears... the respect for real uniforms and the lack of access is probably one of the reasons why almost all anime schools based on real schools has vastly different uniform. Plus sailor suits are really going out of fashion, especially at many top schools. I remember sitting next to a bunch of middle school girls next to a plane and they were wearing almost exactly what Yukata wore except it was black. It was nice looking, but they were no sailor fukus. This is an elite private girl's middle school in Kansai. I think it's more public schools or vocational HS that still keep them to attract students - both girls and boys.

You guys have to remember that high school education is optional in Japan; you don't have the right to attend HS. You have pick one and attempt to go there.. the vocational ones are pretty easy to get in so there are competition for students is pretty high in populated areas; cute uniforms are a way to get more paying students. You can even learn how to be a mechanic or hair dressor in these HS.
Closed Thread