AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-18, 10:59   Link #621
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exellon_Nanoha View Post
do you think this anime would be for a girl? (me)
Yesh, I am a girl and I like this anime. It has a very "everyone" feel to it. And like the others said, the nudity is not ecchi or detailed. I call this type "Barbie Doll Nudity".
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 11:06   Link #622
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Really would agree its just a complete package with Horo. Personality just comes to the forfront in whatever situation we find her in. Working that off Lawrence and you've got a duo that I'll be happy to watch the whole way though the series. Was impressed how they kept the nudity from feeling like some cheap fan service. More like just "well yeah that makes sense, wolf turning to human probably won't have clothes at the ready."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I still want to see the full wolf form. Unless I missed it somewhere.
Well I think the best view of her wolf form came in episode 1 right after the OP. It's not complete, with the top of her head and upper body slightly cut off. Will probably get a better view of it at some point in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
A bigger version just was necessary
Spoiler for Horo's tail animation:
Hmm a spoiler tag....Oh no...can't stop staring...at tail...

I'll probably be stuck here for 10 minutes or so, continue without me .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 11:20   Link #623
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
^^That tail animation, looks like she's fanning hot buttered potato's

For ep 2, Horo's "I like bearded men" line finds good company with Genshiken's cosplay idol
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 11:21   Link #624
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
A bigger version just was necessary
Spoiler for Horo's tail animation:
I am completely memorized by the tail it makes feel like agreeing to anything.

It would look great in animated siggy
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 12:25   Link #625
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I agree with majority of people about Horo's nakedness its like an extra service. But what does for me is her playfulness. Sure that tail is awsome and just makes her even cuter naked Horo clothed Horo it all works for me.

Not to say i dont like the nakedness and dont want more nakedness. For gods sake im not priest nor am i dead
Funny how that would all change if they gave her some extra detail...especially around the chest area.
It's rarely I see a naked girl without their hair covering their chest...and even when it doesn't happen, for me to not go: OH MY GOD!
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 13:41   Link #626
Ultenth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Funny how that would all change if they gave her some extra detail...especially around the chest area.
It's rarely I see a naked girl without their hair covering their chest...and even when it doesn't happen, for me to not go: OH MY GOD!
You know, for me, even though the barbie doll nudity definitely does make somewhat of a difference, I think even with full detail it would still be markedly less sexual than if it were another character with a different personality. I think it's definitely more her personality than the pseudo nudity that makes it much more natural and not ecchi. I also think it would be far more ecchi if instead of full nudity if she was wearing just underwear or a neglige or something of that nature, as often times depending on the personality partial nudity can be a lot more sexual than full nudity.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 14:14   Link #627
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
You know, for me, even though the barbie doll nudity definitely does make somewhat of a difference, I think even with full detail it would still be markedly less sexual than if it were another character with a different personality. I think it's definitely more her personality than the pseudo nudity that makes it much more natural and not ecchi. I also think it would be far more ecchi if instead of full nudity if she was wearing just underwear or a neglige or something of that nature, as often times depending on the personality partial nudity can be a lot more sexual than full nudity.
I honestly prefer it the way it is But your right personality makes all the differences. After all when turns from wolf to human form its not like she has clothes anyway. I find myself listening more to her dialog even when she has no clothes.
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 14:47   Link #628
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh, didn't know this was a multiple choice poll where you couldn't pick 60% of A, 30% of B, and 10% of C. I'll certainly admit from my perspective she's a complete package of adorable ... but then if Lawrence isn't included, her personality has no one to work off of. They are a complementary team.
Bingo. I think of it like Crest of the Stars: for most people, Lafiel is the main draw of the show, but without Jinto, her character development wouldn't be anywhere nearly as good.

Likewise for Spice and Wolf, Lawrence is every bit as important a character as Horo (arguably he's even more important), and the show won't work without him. The character interaction - the give and take of the dialogue is what really elevates the show to being something special.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 15:20   Link #629
Vali
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
ah sorry about butchering the names, was working from memory there.

oh i swore i mentioned Iðunn before. oh wait. yes i did.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=497

Haha my bad

I haven't been keeping up with the whole thread.
Vali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 16:27   Link #630
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
There you have it. Testimonials that even though Horo is often stark naked, everyone is only interested in her personality.
Hey, she does have a kick-ass personality. And, in all honesty, I can't really say that nippleless 10%-ers are a sexual fetish of mine.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 16:27   Link #631
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I agree with majority of people about Horo's nakedness its like an extra service. But what does for me is her playfulness. Sure that tail is awsome and just makes her even cuter naked Horo clothed Horo it all works for me.

Not to say i dont like the nakedness and dont want more nakedness. For gods sake im not priest nor am i dead
im just glad they dont go into those details when she has no clothes on.
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 16:52   Link #632
Sparrow1770
Avian Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I still want to see the full wolf form. Unless I missed it somewhere.
You can see the lower 90% in ep. 1. There's a flashback scene where Horo is describing the pact that bound her to the village. ~19:20

The first few times I watched that scene I didn't quite realize what was going on there:



For some reason my brain just saw Horo as a normal sized wolf walking through a field with a person way off in the distance.

However this shot shows her giant wolf leg next to the guy...



So... there ya go.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 17:07   Link #633
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Oh.... I thought everyone noticed that. Yeah in wolf-goddess form there's just a bit of scaling up That's mostly why people "run away" as she mentions -- just just the wolf aspect but her size.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 17:29   Link #634
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow1770 View Post
You can see the lower 90% in ep. 1. There's a flashback scene where Horo is describing the pact that bound her to the village. ~19:20

The first few times I watched that scene I didn't quite realize what was going on there:



For some reason my brain just saw Horo as a normal sized wolf walking through a field with a person way off in the distance.

However this shot shows her giant wolf leg next to the guy...



So... there ya go.
There's a REASON her paw practically filled the cart when she partially transformed. She's freaking huge as a wolf.

A somewhat unsettling thought came to me recently... With her comment about wolves growing smarter by eating the brains of humans (a not-uncommon superstition), I found myself wondering if Horo actually started out life as an ordinary wolf, and became what she is by... well... eating a lot of people. Hopefully not the case, but...
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 17:39   Link #635
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
There's a REASON her paw practically filled the cart when she partially transformed. She's freaking huge as a wolf.

A somewhat unsettling thought came to me recently... With her comment about wolves growing smarter by eating the brains of humans (a not-uncommon superstition), I found myself wondering if Horo actually started out life as an ordinary wolf, and became what she is by... well... eating a lot of people. Hopefully not the case, but...
that truly is unsettling but it could be possible, i also hope thats not the case. either way she didnt get that big by eating ppl.
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 17:51   Link #636
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
that truly is unsettling but it could be possible, i also hope thats not the case. either way she didnt get that big by eating ppl.
Wolves don't really get smarter by eating human brains either. It's part of the superstition: gaining part of the "power" of the victim by consuming them. Native American Indians were known to eat the heart of animals they hunted in order to gain some of that creature's strength. If we're going to allow superstition here at all (kind of have to to accept Horo exists), there's no reason to think a wolf couldn't gain enough power, intelligence, strength, etc. whatever to eventually become a god of sorts.

I'm just explaining the idea, understand. I don't believe that's really the case with Horo, and I hope it isn't. I really don't like to think of her hunting down and eating hundreds of people.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 18:06   Link #637
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Wolves don't really get smarter by eating human brains either. It's part of the superstition: gaining part of the "power" of the victim by consuming them. Native American Indians were known to eat the heart of animals they hunted in order to gain some of that creature's strength. If we're going to allow superstition here at all (kind of have to to accept Horo exists), there's no reason to think a wolf couldn't gain enough power, intelligence, strength, etc. whatever to eventually become a god of sorts.

I'm just explaining the idea, understand. I don't believe that's really the case with Horo, and I hope it isn't. I really don't like to think of her hunting down and eating hundreds of people.
same here, i see that its a very slim possibility also. but anime does occasionally throw curve balls but not many are possible in the remaining 10 eps.
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 18:09   Link #638
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Pure speculation: Here's where a bit of Shinto creeps in. She may have spent her mortal life as a "wise wolf" earning the respect of other wolfs and leading hunts. After her mortal life ended, the other wolves respected and revered her memory to the point she became their goddess and was "reborn" as such - taking whatever form she liked. We don't know yet *why* she left her homeland though (and no I don't want to know yet). It may also be that as a new kami something caused her to drift south looking for a new home and when the young boy offered to worship her in exchange for the wheat harvest, it gave her purpose.

Any of these variations and many others might be her backstory --- but right now its just arm-waving based on existing mythology and lore about animism and the "old gods". Given the japanese predilection for re-interpretation (ref: vampires, etc) in anime, all of those could be off-base.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 18:43   Link #639
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Certainly a lot of questions about how Horo got to be who she is and why she set off on the journey. Something serious enough happened that she felt it was necessary to go South. Of course she couldn't have predicted making that promise in regards to the wheat.

Maybe she set off to make amends after a horrible fight or struggle that lead to the deaths of many humans. Or perhaps simply curiosity that she wanted to explore and learn. Possibly a search to find her place in the world.

Maybe Vexx is right and she was a great leader that was reborn as the Horo we know today. Or the more disconcerting thought that she did gain that intelligence and power by consuming people.

Just something we can only speculate upon and wait for an answer to show itself.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 18:50   Link #640
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
O wow, thanks for the pic. That is a freaking huge wolf. It is a good thing they are acquaintances on good terms, or could you call Lawrence and her friends yet?

And I saw several pages back that someone hoped they would get romantically involved. While I enjoy my share of Romances, this is just one I hope doesn't turn into a romance.
Two beings who interact and, have their issues, and later on help each other with these issues is what I would rather see. I would rather they keep this a plutonic relationship.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.