AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 06:48   Link #21
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Hoo hoo looks like Linux finally has a real champion to it's cause (well if the cause is to get more users on it)

http://www.mobilewhack.com/-asus-eeepc-701/

So anyone going to get one of these little bad boys? I'll be keeping all my data online and accessing it that way. I'll keep some things on a encrypted file just in case I am netless (noooooooo keep the bad thoughts away)
Old 2007-07-22, 09:15   Link #22
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Hoo hoo looks like Linux finally has a real champion to it's cause (well if the cause is to get more users on it)

http://www.mobilewhack.com/-asus-eeepc-701/

So anyone going to get one of these little bad boys? I'll be keeping all my data online and accessing it that way. I'll keep some things on a encrypted file just in case I am netless (noooooooo keep the bad thoughts away)
Been hassling Australian distrbutors to get this. The demand/interest has been overwhelming
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 09:43   Link #23
grey_moon

Hee hee whirlpool by any chance? I'm in HK and we normally get gadgets quite early, I'm hoping for the USA price
Old 2007-07-22, 10:38   Link #24
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Exchange rate is good atm with USD, (1USD = 85c Aus). LOL Whirlpool, I visit that site a lot but I hate the interface. I hope they build an esata port on that thing, so you can just use the 8 gig hdd for O/S and use a 500gig external via e-sata and not lose too much performance
Old 2007-07-22, 11:33   Link #25
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Though I can't find any personal interest in laptops (too expensive, near zero customization, no use for them), it's positive that there's someone other than Dell that is packaging Linux in their PCs. It'd be nice if the website stated the distro, though

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some news:

New Linux desktop environment -- built on Firefox

Quote:
"'Pyro is a new kind of desktop environment for Linux built on Mozilla Firefox. Its goal is to enable true integration between the Web and modern desktop computing.' This looks like an interesting marriage of the web and the desktop. In Pyro, Web apps run in windows on the desktop, right alongside desktop apps (through compositing). Features expected in a desktop environment, like task/window selection and an Expose-like function, are written in Javascript." "
The website has been slashdotted already, so it's not available at the moment of posting this, but from the summary it seems not a very good idea. The thought of integrating web browsing and desktop functions make me remember, quite vividly, Microsoft's Active Desktop IE bullshit. I hope it's not the case with this... and besides, other than the novelty value, I find to see any use in doing something like this.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 11:40   Link #26
grey_moon

You can scratch the too expensive off the list, the EeePC is guestimated at 200USD, which is a scary cheap price. It has VGA out and a 900MHz Pentium M processor which is good enough to stream stuff to my TV

I'm planning on using it for sheer mobility with the side use as a media streamer

I hope the onepcperchild project doesn't kick up a fuss as its defiantly a contender for that role.
Old 2007-07-22, 11:42   Link #27
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
You can scratch the too expensive off the list, the EeePC is guestimated at 200USD, which is a scary cheap price.
Unfortunately, where I live, you need to multiply that price at least by 1.5, or even by 2... And then take into account that I can build a custom PC twice as powerful for the same amount of money.

Old 2007-07-22, 12:00   Link #28
grey_moon

Ouchies, I always forget that issue, one of my friends got stung for nearly twice the price for a Rozen Maiden import into UK. I do know that the EeePC will be more expensive in Europe which is a shame

I believe the distro is Xandros *hides from the tomatoes of the FSF*
Old 2007-07-22, 12:11   Link #29
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Ouchies, I always forget that issue, one of my friends got stung for nearly twice the price for a Rozen Maiden import into UK. I do know that the EeePC will be more expensive in Europe which is a shame

I believe the distro is Xandros *hides from the tomatoes of the FSF*

I'm starting to really dislike FSF. I'm glad that they made a push like no other to get Linux/oss into the mainstream, but they're starting to sound more like the Westboro Baptist Church (google it, frightening bunch of people).

VAT is ridiculous. What's it up to now in Europe?
Old 2007-07-22, 12:22   Link #30
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
I'm starting to really dislike FSF. I'm glad that they made a push like no other to get Linux/oss into the mainstream, but they're starting to sound more like the Westboro Baptist Church (google it, frightening bunch of people).

VAT is ridiculous. What's it up to now in Europe?
FSF has done a lot of good, but with any type of moral based organisation they do have their more extreme followers. Since I'm a big SuSE fan and of the opinion, best tool to the job I do have my run ins with them. One of my favourites was why did I buy/use SQLyog?

VAT in UK is 17.5% and I'm not too sure if its the same for the rest of Europe.
Old 2007-07-22, 14:27   Link #31
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Screw the one laptop per child what about on laptop per adult?
Old 2007-07-24, 14:14   Link #32
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Con Kolivas has quit his job as a Linux kernel developer, and he did it with a blast, stating why he believes Linux fails on the performance side in the desktop.

Quote:
"Linux is burdened with 'enterprise crap' that makes it run poorly on desktop PCs, says kernel developer Con Kolivas. Kolivas recently walked away from years of work on the kernel in despair. APCmag.com has a lengthy interview with Kolivas, who explains what he sees is wrong with Linux from a performance perspective and how Microsoft has succeeded in crushing innovation in personal computers."
Now, I haven't got the time to read the full article, since the website is being quite slow right now (probably slashdotted...). However, I'd like to hear his reasons, and see what other kernel developers have to say on the matter. Up until now, I've seen my Ubuntu much less bloated than my last installation of XP, using the same box. So I wonder what was he exactly referring to?

EDIT: The website seems to be working now, albeit kind of slowly.

Old 2007-07-24, 22:27   Link #33
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Con Kolivas has quit his job as a Linux kernel developer, and he did it with a blast, stating why he believes Linux fails on the performance side in the desktop.

Now, I haven't got the time to read the full article, since the website is being quite slow right now (probably slashdotted...). However, I'd like to hear his reasons, and see what other kernel developers have to say on the matter. Up until now, I've seen my Ubuntu much less bloated than my last installation of XP, using the same box. So I wonder what was he exactly referring to?

EDIT: The website seems to be working now, albeit kind of slowly.
Wow what article were most of the slashdotters reading? hee hee

Anyways for me personally a lot of kernel design and imp is *whooooosssshhh* way over my head, but it seems to me a conflict of design philosophies.

At first I would have said that the article is about the roots of Linux, being a server based OS moving into the role of desktop (compared to Windows which is desktop moving into the role of server)

But once I've read the article and reflected on it, I have to say the reason I believe why CK left is quite clearly stated from the question "APC: was there something that was the 'final straw' for you?"

All in all a great article which sheds some light on a pretty amazing (but geeky) world.
Old 2007-07-24, 23:18   Link #34
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Yes, actually it was quite informative. I wonder if the recent new Completely Fair Scheduler announcement for the kernel was one of the reasons why he dropped his work on it. It wasn't explicitly mentioned in the article, so I wonder what's the relationship.

Old 2007-07-25, 01:37   Link #35
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Yes, actually it was quite informative. I wonder if the recent new Completely Fair Scheduler announcement for the kernel was one of the reasons why he dropped his work on it. It wasn't explicitly mentioned in the article, so I wonder what's the relationship.
It wasn't explicit, but this sure looks like a tie in to me :P

"Then one day presumably Ingo decided it was a good idea and the way forward and... wrote his own fair scheduling interactive design with a modular almost pluggable CPU scheduling framework... and had help with the code from the person who refused to accept fair behaviour in my flamewar."
Old 2007-07-25, 13:25   Link #36
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

What I don't understand though... on one side he complains about the poor platform the PC provides and how the OSes dictate the hardware. And when the OS is developed actually for other sorts of platforms (multiple CPUs and RAID systems) then this not good either?

He should decide somewhere... I mean the PC systems becomes more and more like the server systems with each new generation. So optimizing for server systems might not be too bad on the long run.

All that isn't easy. Linux seems not to have the manpower to develop best performant kernels for each type of system there is. (In server land there exists more than x86... there is PPC, Sparc, IA and others)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 03:20   Link #37
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
He should decide somewhere... I mean the PC systems becomes more and more like the server systems with each new generation. So optimizing for server systems might not be too bad on the long run.
That is a very good point, especially when you consider the whole idea of a digital home. In the end our PCs may just be nodes on a media server cluster, with front ends being the TV or electronic book.

On another news note Skype just got their bottom slapped in Germany for supplying the source code via web link on a flyer for one of their linux based phones

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...violating_gpl/

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/07/24/174240.shtml

So do you think this is GPL being taken too far? Or do you think that it is good to follow licences to the letter of the law.
Old 2007-07-26, 09:48   Link #38
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
On another news note Skype just got their bottom slapped in Germany for supplying the source code via web link on a flyer for one of their linux based phones
The thing is, Skype added the URL for source code access later. And yes, I think it was wrong in the first place. The whole idea of the GPL is to make the source code available. The point about having the source displayed somewhere else is kind of debatable--at any rate, keep in mind that the idea is that you can view the source and manipulate it in any single copy of the program--having it available somewhere else doesn't fit the needs.

I don't think it's "pushing it too far". The guys at Skype were idiots to believe they could get away without releasing the source code, that's all.

Old 2007-07-26, 12:09   Link #39
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Bleh german precision (uh pedantism) in action Doesn't wonder that we have such a strange image.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 16:15   Link #40
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Great news, everybody!

Dell is asking ATI to make better Linux drivers.

Quote:
"According to a presentation at Ubuntu Live 2007, Dell is working on getting better ATI drivers for Linux for use in its Linux offerings. While it is not known whether the end product will end up as open source, with big businesses like Google and Dell now behind the push for better Linux graphics drivers, hopefully ATI will make the smart business decision and give customers what they want."
Seems like Dell's decision to ship Ubuntu-bundled laptops has finally shown itself as a true benefit to the community in general. Though I haven't tried any Linux systems running an ATI card, I do know that driver support is not the same as with Nvidia cards. I hope this official petition is enough for the people at ATI to start giving better support. As one of the tags in the Slashdot article says, about freaking time.

But! It doesn't mean they'll make them open source, which can have its significant drawbacks. I hope there's a sane response from ATI and they do what they should have done a lot of time ago (open source them).