AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-19, 19:22   Link #61
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

We Suck's speed boggles my mind....and angers it!
Old 2004-01-19, 19:34   Link #62
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOcyOgl
5 releases in 3 days, great job we suck
Or not....
Old 2004-01-19, 19:36   Link #63
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Hm..I wonder if they already have subbed it up to 10 and is slowly releasing it on bt.
Old 2004-01-19, 20:07   Link #64
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Such speed! I was expecting We Suck to... you know...
Old 2004-01-19, 20:19   Link #65
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Hey, we make take longer but when we c-- hey wait. I'm not going into gay sex.

Quote:
Hm..I wonder if they already have subbed it up to 10 and is slowly releasing it on bt.
Or their timer has used secret tactics that I devised many moons ago, but was too lazy to implement, giving them INSTANT timing, if they so choose so.
Old 2004-01-19, 22:51   Link #66
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
I talked to Lavalyn, about it. (and now he's denying it!)

Apparently they have the raws "up to 11 already processed and ready to go (pre-process filters done, to huffyuv)"

They admit that it's not the best quality. They also stated they also apollogized for making A-B mad. They said they're not suprised seeing as "Blitz is a quality group"

So like I pointed out before A-B doesn't know when to be quiet. I personally would suggest downloading the Blitz version for archival purposes. It is of higher quality, WS even admits it.

Last edited by JAppi; 2004-01-20 at 03:36.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 23:50   Link #67
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I'm glad that after BPS, there's UPS. I like UPS so far and the speedy releases really make me happy.

Grifis
Old 2004-01-20, 00:21   Link #68
Kay Hearts
Cute ahiru ^v^ *quack*

Quote:
I can say that the Stellvia feelin is gone and I'm sorta gettin a Lord of the Flies vibe now...... I just hope that this series doesn't end up like Lord of the Flies...
I got exactly the same idea the first time I watched UPS hehehe

so far Im enjoying so much the series because its different from most things out there in the moment (or at least different to the other series Im watching :P) I like variety and UPS seems up to ep 6 a very well told story, they didnt hurry up and let the characters into this unhabitted setting, we actually see where they used to live during 2 eps. I know its early to say but I know Ill keep on watching all eps that come out for sure

Congratulations to We-Suck for this release!! ^_^
Kay Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 00:33   Link #69
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
*sigh* Once again A-B is making fools of themselves.

I talked to Lavalyn, about it.

Apparently they have the raws "up to 11 already processed and ready to go (pre-process filters done, to huffyuv)"

They admit that it's not the best quality. They also stated they also apollogized for making A-B mad. They said they're not suprised seeing as "Blitz is a quality group"

So like I pointed out before A-B doesn't know when to be quiet. I personally would suggest downloading the Blitz version for archival purposes. It is of higher quality, WS even admits it.
Personally, I think their release was excellently planned. A little compitition is welcome, it'll keep us all focused. That being said, I personally don't care about speed. I'd rather hold off on a release and make sure it's done to the best of my ability or at least until all the glaring problems are addressed. I don't really care who is faster than who, and we are all just playing catch-up on a series that's been airing for awhile.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 00:43   Link #70
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

I must interject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
*sigh* Once again A-B is making fools of themselves.

I talked to Lavalyn, about it.

I've spoken to lavalyn, and he explicitly denies making any statement to the effect that the Blitz version is superior(edit: fixed typo) to our own. Also, his exact quote is "Blitz is a 'quality' group." Take those single-quotes as you will. Natuarlly, none of(edit: fixed typo) the members of We Suck could be in any position to judge the absolute or comparative(edit: fixed typo) quality of the Blitz releases on account of how our watching them would compromise our ability to make our own version objectively.

Furthermore, as any of you who have visited our torrent page or our blog are aware, we release our scripts in DVDSubber format when the official R2's for the show are out, in the hopes of encouraging fans of the show that it is worthwhile to purchase them, since they will be able to make full use of them. The scripts we release are reviewed for errors which we didn't catch the first time, and seeing another group's translation would prevent us from objectively making such corrections.

Also, your statement that, "We admit that it's not the best quality," was a misinterpretation of our statement, "We do not pursue quality at all costs." We admit that we have made errors in the past--we have issued errata to many of those errors on our official site, for that matter--but that does not mean that we think that each and every one of our releases is of low quality, nor even that any particular release was of poor quality. I also don't feel that we have released something which we did not, at the time, think was the best we were capable of.

I feel very pleased with the quality of our releases of UPS, and I enjoy taking the time out of my life necessary to help other people enjoy the show as much as I do. I do not, never did, and never will view our rapid release schedule as an attempt to challenge or embarrass any person or group. I simply hope that by our efforts we will create more fans of the shows we sub, and that those fans appreciate the efforts of the artists who create them enough that they will see fit to buy the official R2 (or R1, if they get licensed) DVDs of them, instead of keeping CD copies around forever.

While my 'people should buy things' mentality may be uncommon among fansubbers, it was the vision with which the group was started, and We Suck would have ceased to be long ago if I did not still think it was correct.

Last edited by teh_suck; 2004-01-20 at 00:55. Reason: Typos, spacing
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 03:22   Link #71
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by #animesuki
[17:32] <+JAppi> Just out of curiostity? Are you a male arrogant fuck or a female arrogant fuck?
[17:32] <lavalyn> does it matter?
[17:34] <lavalyn> and am i that arrogant?
[17:34] <+JAppi> you're a fansubber, so you have a right to be arrogant.
[17:34] <lavalyn> no i don't
[17:34] <lavalyn> i'm a crappy encoder
You even admit you're a crappy encoder.

Quote:
[17:36] <lavalyn> dbz is rather annoyed, but since blitz is a quality group, i'm not surprised
That *was* a direct quote.

Quote:
[17:37] <lavalyn> we have completely different strategies
[17:37] <lavalyn> well, 800x600 kinda implies something
[17:37] <+JAppi> Atleast for saying we're a quality group ^_^
[17:37] <lavalyn> you do know what you're doing
[17:37] <lavalyn> and are taking your time
Is that not you saying that we're a quality group that knows what we're doing? Go kill yourself.

Quote:
[17:39] <lavalyn> We Suck's slogan is simple
[17:39] <lavalyn> We might not have the best translations, or the best encoding, or the fanciest text effects, but... I forgot what my point was.
So your slogan bascially is Everything sucks so you should download our subs? If you even admit that your work is absolute crap then why do you waste your time fansubbing? Are you any different then the naruto groups who subs things fast just so they can be the cool naruto subber? Or how about AJ? They had crap encoding, crap karaoke (No karaoke) and crap translation just like you and all they really cared about was releasing thier shows fast.

Then the other thing that pisses me off is that you come on IRC say one thing and then you write a big long post denying it. Please die now.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 03:33   Link #72
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

not to meddle with your beef..... but can u guys take it elsewhere (like irc).... no disrespect or anythin... but..... I don't want to see this thread get shut down cuz of peeps insultin each other....
Old 2004-01-20, 03:37   Link #73
babbito2k
annoying white bat

This thing about sticking people on a deserted planet to see if they can get along is some kind of metaphor for something, I guess
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 05:36   Link #74
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Hmm... Dbz just hates on everything... you, black people, jewish people err... yeah everything else. He'd be annoyed with you if we were on episode 23 right now (time travel) and you were still on episode 6.

I'm annoyed because you say allthough your doing your best to make a quality release, you seem to have sacrificed timing quality for speed. As one of the 27 people on this planet that actually cares about perfect subtitle timing, it just annoys me slightly that one of the possible reasons your beating us to the punch of, that I take about 17 days timing a single episode. I've had to untilitise time travel many times to get our product out. And when I get slightly annoyed at something, thats enough for the victum to receive full on sarcastic comments. Its nothing personal, I'm just board.
Old 2004-01-20, 07:33   Link #75
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

As far as what lavalyn did or did not say, I only know what he told me. From looking at some of what you quote there, it seems that you may have taken seriously some things that were meant in jest. For example, the strapline from our website isn't meant as a serious motto, it's meant as a joke.
I think there's certainly a difference between what we do and what groups that come into being to sub one episode of Naruto do. Those groups piggyback off the popularity of an established show with a short burst of effort to capture a slice of the tens of thousands of viewers that already exist for that show. We're putting in a continuous effort over multiple weeks to build a viewer base which in the end will still be substantially smaller. If our only interest was the download numbers, I'm sure we could have found a project that would have raked them in.
I don't think that our work is absolute crap, or on the low standard that AJ became well known for, or any other negative thing along such lines. I cerainly don't think I sacrifice quality for speed -- my work on an episode takes N hours for me to do the way I do it, and when it's done, it's done. It's not a case where spending another N hours would increase the quality of that episode. Now, if I happen to have N hours of free time every night, or can sacrifice other things I should be doing to get N hours of time every night, then I can generate one episode each day. If I can only find (N/2) hours each day, then naturally I can only do one episode every other day. I think I've been lucky that I've been able to find the time to devote to this that I recently have, and If I'm going to take more time away from other parts of my life to pay attention to what people have to say about us, then you'll excuse me if from now on I try to spend it less on the scorn of our few nay-sayers and more on the praise of our many fans.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 08:47   Link #76
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Guys, take the arguing somewhere else. Don't dump your arguments in here. IF you need to argue it out, go to IRC or something or a Mod is gonna bust someone upside the head.

Quote:
This thing about sticking people on a deserted planet to see if they can get along is some kind of metaphor for something, I guess
I take it you haven't seen American TV for the past 5 years? Gads, there's so many "vote someone off the island" reality shows that it's sickening. Personally, I'm beyond tired of these so called reality shows. They're about lame.

Of course UPS is extremely good. This isn't a vote them off the island survivor style show where everyone's greedy for cash. This is one where one idiot caused everyone to get stranded and because of that they all now have to get along and survive together.

Leave it to a japanese anime studio to take something that american TV has perty much trashed and turn it into something so awesome. hehe. UFS is almost like Gilligan's Island in its own way. I loved that show. But now I'm getting off on a tangent. hehe.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 09:18   Link #77
Lambda

Well, I for one have found the We Suck encodes to be absolutely fine. (Perhaps the later ones are a bit big, but I prefer compact files over 100% pristeen video, 98% is good enough for me, and in any case it's a minor issue.) Perhaps the fact that they can do them in a short time indicates their methods won't produce an absolute top-drawer quality version, but a decent and quick version of a title slightly off the beaten track is praiseworthy from my perspective. It certainly doesn't seem like a "rush job". I think a good maxim to abide by here would be "if you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything."
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 09:50   Link #78
Soulfang
ハロー!

I think the encodes are fine besides the fact that they're a little choppy.
Old 2004-01-20, 10:48   Link #79
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

The encodes are choppy because of their use of 'Packed Bitstream'.
Try playing their releases using the standard XVid codec and NOT FFDShow, playing via the latest XVid codec they aren't choppy, but they do use a lot of processing power then.
Old 2004-01-20, 11:11   Link #80
DemonEye

I like this show. Ok it is "child" friendly, but The stranded on a desert planet theme always works .
DemonEye is offline   Reply With Quote