AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-26, 17:41   Link #1
Sapphi
nya!~

How can I convert an mkv to avi with permanent subs?

I've downloaded an anime movie in mkv format, and I'm attempting to put it on a DVD. My issue is this: I need to put it into avi format, with subtitles. They need to be permanent, as I'm using Nero to burn the DVD and Nero apparently has no subtitle support. I've been googling for this for quite awhile and have become extremely confused, as I'm getting a lot of different answers, and none of them seem to work as they're supposed to.

I've tried converting the mkv to DVD via Avi2DVD, which asks for my subtitle file. I add it, but when I play back the converted vob file, no subtitles appear. I'm guessing there must be some way to turn them on, but I doubt they'll carry over in the Nero burn.

I've also tried converting with AlltoAvi, which seemed like it was going to work, but then I got some kind of error having to do with mencoder, which I honestly have no idea how to remedy.

I've downloaded VirtualDubMod as that's what people seem to be using for this type of thing, but am lost as to how to create a simple avi file with the subs in it.

Now I know there's got to be a way to do this, but I'm rather dumb in this area, so if anyone could possibly walk me through the steps, I'd be eternally grateful. I've already successfully made many DVD's by converting avi's to vob files, but mkv has me at a loss.

Any help with this would be really, really appreciated!
Sapphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 22:13   Link #2
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

have you read this?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 16:13   Link #3
arcadeplayer987

http://www.download3000.com/download...reg-16064.html
Try this free soft

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 17:51   Link #4
Sapphi
nya!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
thanks for the link - but i'm afraid that method didn't work quite well.
the video was pretty good (not as good quality, but i'm guessing that's unavoidable) but the audio was off-sync, and the subtitles were off as well. they were also quite messed up, they included numbers and stuff like that as well as the original subtitle text.

i went ahead and installed the full XVID codec recommended, and i may try them again with "autoaddsubs" because i'm pretty sure it was set to the other method of doing them. i plan to try it again this way and i'm hoping the changes clear up the problems, but these things never seem to work as they should....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
unfortunately i really need a completely free method of conversion if possible, this only lets you convert 1-minute pieces...
Old 2007-07-28, 18:10   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...99&postcount=2

Just instead of using the program for transcoding it for the PSP/PS3 use VirtualDub and XviD.
Old 2007-07-29, 02:50   Link #6
Sapphi
nya!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...99&postcount=2

Just instead of using the program for transcoding it for the PSP/PS3 use VirtualDub and XviD.
okay, but i'm having a slight problem with mkvextractgui. i'm thinking i need to re-extract my subs (they were displaying more than they were supposed to again) but when i load my file into the program, there's no stream list for me to pick out the sub stream.

is this a problem, or just me being incredibly dense as usual?

Edit: Okay, i figured that out. Don't know how, but somehow it works now, lol. Anyway, martino, i followed that guide, reextracted my subs, and made sure to set the compression in VirtualDubMod to "fast recompress", made sure the codec was XVID and all that. The video plays fine, and the subtitles are great now, but there's no audio. I had put the .ogg file i extracted in the stream list in VDM, so i'm not quite sure what i did wrong. i guess i'll keep playing with it, but if anybody knows what's going on, please speak up, lol. my Nero is a trial and it's going to be expiring soon ^_^;

Further Edit: Alright, i ended up experimenting with just converting the audio with Avi2DVD, and then loading that into VDubMod and saving as an avi, and it worked great. burned the DVD last night. ^____^

thanks for all your help! ♥

Last edited by Sapphi; 2007-08-01 at 12:08. Reason: i resolved my issues, lol