AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-15, 17:59   Link #261
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
would would personally give him more credit than just his stomach imo ^^

he isnt a great character but i just like seeing his antics...ofc there must be a deeper side to him

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 19:18   Link #262
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't even notice that the sensei was a character. I thought he was just a plot device. Fortunately this show is so abundantly overflowing with interesting characters that I can hardly care if the sensei is just an problem to overcome. Not only isn't he a main character, he is the least developed character on the entire show. Several of sempai's students are better developed than he is.

Main character? Tama, obviously.
Ok, so he's completely insignificant, it was just from the fact that he was the one putting together the five that I thought he'd be a central character.
Old 2007-11-15, 21:04   Link #263
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

He is more then just a plot device, he is evil plot device. How dare he corrupt the pure Tama-sama by bribing her!
Old 2007-11-15, 21:13   Link #264
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
He is more then just a plot device, he is evil plot device. How dare he corrupt the pure Tama-sama by bribing her!
... and she gave in

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 00:43   Link #265
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
anime enlightments sub was the worst one I have seen since Philanthropies Seto no Hanayome's subs. I found this on their forum (their website is a mess to, but has some nice pics to steal)

"
Bamboo blade 6 have to many bad spells thats because we only had 2 people sub the episode.

TO ALL OUR FANS APOLOGIZE FOR THE BAD EPISODE.

The bamboo blade 6 is now delet it."
Old 2007-11-16, 01:03   Link #266
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It's pretty bad that they can't even write a message on their own forum.

Yeah, AEN isn't really worth the download.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 02:21   Link #267
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
... and she gave in
He is like GTO but inspires the dark side in his pupils instead

Spoiler for more thoughts on epi7:
Old 2007-11-16, 17:25   Link #268
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
OMG that was one of the worst subbing jobs i have seen in a while it hurt to watch. But on a brighter note I love Tama im not exactly sure why i like her so much i just do.. Anyone who can preform a one handed Men is pretty damn good especially to actually avoid the opponets strike all together and keep their footing very difficult to do.
Old 2007-11-16, 22:46   Link #269
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Spoiler for more thoughts on epi7:

Automatically? What do you mean? The strike WAS shallow.
Old 2007-11-16, 22:47   Link #270
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
But on a brighter note I love Tama im not exactly sure why i like her so much i just do..
She's just so adorable <3
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 22:56   Link #271
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Automatically? What do you mean? The strike WAS shallow.
I couldn't tell from the scene (well any scene as I don't know kendo), but I got the feeling from the commentary and from the sensei after the second strike that a woman using a one handed strike is counted as shallow.
Old 2007-11-16, 23:00   Link #272
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
I couldn't tell from the scene (well any scene as I don't know kendo), but I got the feeling from the commentary and from the sensei after the second strike that a woman using a one handed strike is counted as shallow.
No, those are PARTS of the reason why the blow was shallow. They weren't the deciding reasons.
Old 2007-11-16, 23:02   Link #273
grey_moon

Quote:
No, those are PARTS of the reason why the blow was shallow. They weren't the deciding reasons.
That's all very good, but care to explain the deciding reason, or for that matter answering my initial question?
Old 2007-11-16, 23:16   Link #274
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
That's all very good, but care to explain the deciding reason, or for that matter answering my initial question?
I'll start with this quote from Wiki (too lazy to type on my own )

Quote:
In shiai, or competition, a point is only awarded when the attack is made firmly and properly to a target point with ki-ken-tai-ichi, or spirit, sword and body as one. This means that for an attack to be successful, the shinai must strike the specified target, the contact by the shinai must happen simultaneously with the attacker's front foot contacting with floor and the kendoka must vocalise an expression of kiai that displays good spirit. Additionally, the top third of the shinai must make contact with the target and direction of movement (hasuji) by the shinai must also be correct. Finally, zanshin, or continuation of awareness, must be present and shown before, during and after the strike, then the player must be ready to attack again.
Now, if we look back at how others have hit, but haven't scored, you'll see that they either failed to hit the right spot (Miya), or the overall impression of the hit wasn't strong enough (Saya, when she hit the wrist).

In Tama's case, it's closer to the second situation. First, hitting with one hand almost never gets scored due to the "slight" impression it gives, and when you combine the fact that Tama is a girl (and a small one at that), one has to make more effort.

That's why the first hit was considered shallow, while the second was a scored hit.

I hope this is enough. It's been 10 years since I last practiced Kendo.

Last edited by Kang Seung Jae; 2007-11-16 at 23:26.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 23:44   Link #275
grey_moon

Quote:
In Tama's case, it's closer to the second situation. First, hitting with one hand almost never gets scored due to the "slight" impression it gives, and when you combine the fact that Tama is a girl (and a small one at that), one has to make more effort.
I've never been interested so my view of the strike doesn't really count so I have to use what I have been shown to understand the situation.

From my perspective....
The first one handed strike looked solid to me.
It looked solid to Yuji.
The commentary goes that a woman never uses it because it is counted as not having enough strength.
The sensei didn't award the point for the second strike immediately, even though that strike looked OTT power wise.

Finally this is the killer for me.... Tama seemed to think her first strike should have been a score.

I add this all up in my head and that is what prompted the question about real life kendo.
Old 2007-11-17, 00:53   Link #276
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

The point is that since women have less power, they need to exert themselves more with a one handed strike. Even though it looked solid to you, please consider that it only has the weight of a little girl behind it. That means she needs to strike harder than a boy to make a strike count.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-11-17, 01:34   Link #277
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

I haven't seen the episode so I can't comment on that, but I do know about shiai.

Judges judge based upon a combination of all sensory inputs. Sound, visual response, and general feeling. Correct sound is difficult to achieve with one hand strikes because they are inherently lacking in tenouchi...thus it is hard to award points for them.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 02:09   Link #278
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Could you please explain tenouchi?

Old 2007-11-17, 04:21   Link #279
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
The point is that since women have less power, they need to exert themselves more with a one handed strike. Even though it looked solid to you, please consider that it only has the weight of a little girl behind it. That means she needs to strike harder than a boy to make a strike count.
But how about my other points, especially that Tama seem to believe that she struck firmly. I understand the whole issue of girls not being as strong as macho men and all that c**p*.

I really have to emphasise that my issue is that it seemed to me that the attitude given by BB is that women using a one handed strike will be automatically penalised because they are women. Now everyone one does seem to back this up as they do point out girls are weaker etc. But my question still is, does this happen in real life Kendo?

*c**p coz I've trained against plenty of women in Shotokan JKA, Lau Gar and Taekwondo and believe me women are no less weak then a man when it comes to martial arts. That is what Kendo is isn't it? Not a street brawl with sticks but a martial art where speed, accuracy, technique and spirit counts.
Old 2007-11-17, 04:43   Link #280
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

Quote:
~ I really have to emphasise that my issue is that it seemed to me that the attitude given by BB is that women using a one handed strike will be automatically penalised because they are women. Now everyone one does seem to back this up as they do point out girls are weaker etc. But my question still is, does this happen in real life Kendo? ~
Good grief, it has nothing to do with gender discrimination. Tamaki was at an disadvantage because of her size compared to Kojirou's senpai. She was the David versus his Goliath, and what might normally pass as a decisive strike against smaller opponents, may seem like a mellow twap on bigger ones.

The whole point of Kojirou disallowing it is because it was not forceful enough. It has nothing to do with gender discrimination. Please get this point at least.

Cheers.

Tags
comedy, seinen