AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-20, 17:48   Link #1
raideralan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Choosing an antivirus

I am thinking of installing a anti-virus program into my computer. I have read many reviews about different brands but have heard bad results for most of them. I was wondering what brand is good out there? I was choosing between Mcafee, Norton, and Computer Associates.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 20:16   Link #2
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
I think all the antivirus are equal... as long as you keep them up to date. Anyway, i don't recommend Kaspersky because i think it's very "noisy" (I'd like to scream Urusai! Urusai! Urusai! on it...)

If you're low on budget than just get AVG, it's free and quite good...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 20:19   Link #3
raideralan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
But isn't it true that norton eats up resources. But I also read that Norton 360 was better.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 20:20   Link #4
problemedchild
_
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Kaspersky has the best detection rate out of any anti-virus software out there. That or Bit Defender. Both have amazing detection rates.

Norton gets worse every year. It's just bloatware now........
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 22:16   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Netherlands
Age: 35
Agreed, don't choose Norton. I used to be a fan of it, but it just got worse with each version.

I've used Avast for a while, but ditched it after it couldn't detect a virus until after it had downloaded it's payload (so I got "virus detected" messages all of the time, but Avast couldn't detect the source of the problem).

I'm currently using Kaspersky, but I'm not entirely sure if I can recommend it or not. I don't have the problem of it being to noisy (just make sure you keep RegistryGuard off, as Kaspersky was indeed noisy until I turned it off). The real problem I have with Kaspersky these days is that it likes to crash constantly when I'm working on ZIP/RAR files with Japanese filenames (both the file itself as well as contents, such as Japanese manga RAWs). It's easy to restart it though, and if you don't use files with Japanese filenames much, you should be fine.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 23:56   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I've had good experience with avast! (which is free for home users) but it does have the "window of opportunity" risk that GHDPro mentioned.

But Kaspersky has me interested enough to take a look at it.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 00:16   Link #7
gabbytay
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Mcafee,zone alarm and outpost(one of the best)
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 01:11   Link #8
shiro83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I use AVG Free Edition. So far so good.

Once I popped in a thumbdrive and almost immediately AVG warned me of a trojan horse. Now that's fast.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 03:30   Link #9
problemedchild
_
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Agreed, don't choose Norton. I used to be a fan of it, but it just got worse with each version.

I've used Avast for a while, but ditched it after it couldn't detect a virus until after it had downloaded it's payload (so I got "virus detected" messages all of the time, but Avast couldn't detect the source of the problem).

I'm currently using Kaspersky, but I'm not entirely sure if I can recommend it or not. I don't have the problem of it being to noisy (just make sure you keep RegistryGuard off, as Kaspersky was indeed noisy until I turned it off). The real problem I have with Kaspersky these days is that it likes to crash constantly when I'm working on ZIP/RAR files with Japanese filenames (both the file itself as well as contents, such as Japanese manga RAWs). It's easy to restart it though, and if you don't use files with Japanese filenames much, you should be fine.

I go through plenty of Asian file names, havn't had it crash me due to that.

AVG really isn't all that. It's free, but it really doesn't catch as many viri as Kaspersky or BitDefender does though.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 03:33   Link #10
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Netherlands
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
I go through plenty of Asian file names, havn't had it crash me due to that.
Well in that case it might not be the Japanese filenames but where I get them from: Share. Either way, when Share is active and I'm working on ZIP/RAR, it's almost guaranteed to crash for me.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 15:35   Link #11
arcadeplayer987
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbytay View Post
Mcafee,zone alarm and outpost(one of the best)
I agree about Zone Alarm and Outpost but McAfee sucks, Nod32 instead
__________________

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 19:16   Link #12
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Other thought to be considered is where are you? Usually different virus spread in different region locally... So if there's a local made antivirus, i guess it something that you can trust on...

Example is, in my country W32.Brontok is a very famous virus... I guess everyone know/even have it... An PC Media AntiVirus (PCMAV) is the most efefctive solution to this problem. It's developed by local pc magazine for local virus...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 16:34   Link #13
arcadeplayer987
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Other thought to be considered is where are you? Usually different virus spread in different region locally... So if there's a local made antivirus, i guess it something that you can trust on...

Example is, in my country W32.Brontok is a very famous virus... I guess everyone know/even have it... An PC Media AntiVirus (PCMAV) is the most efefctive solution to this problem. It's developed by local pc magazine for local virus...
WTF are you talking about.The internet is a global network so you can get a virus
from anywere
__________________

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 19:21   Link #14
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
That's why i said other thought... Like if you plug a lot of other people devices to your PC...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 15:18   Link #15
arcadeplayer987
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
That's why i said other thought... Like if you plug a lot of other people devices to your PC...
But there are no such thing like local antivirus is the best and you said before that all antivirus are equal, that is total incorrect because the detection rate is not the same for all. Also the support is not the same, for e.g. my Nod32 get updates 2-3 times/day, others like bitdefender are geting virus updates one time at 2 days
__________________

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 04:18   Link #16
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Keep in mind it not just the frequency of the updates, but the accuracy too.

Personally I like NOD32, but I have been happy with AVG Free (I used to use Clamwin and McAfee Stinger as backup on demand scanners)
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 14:51   Link #17
arcadeplayer987
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Keep in mind it not just the frequency of the updates, but the accuracy too.

Personally I like NOD32, but I have been happy with AVG Free (I used to use Clamwin and McAfee Stinger as backup on demand scanners)
I instal Nod after McAfee and at first scan Nod found me 3 viruses.
Also I had an infected file with trojan virus, I know it was infected because both bitdefender and nod found the virus.So I keept the infected file only to scan with Kaspersky.After update I run the scan but surprise, Kaspersky haven't found the virus.So when I hear that "all the antivirus are equal"...
__________________

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 11:50   Link #18
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I don't know what a retail license costs, but I got Symantec Corporate (Stand Alone) where I worked. It's by far my favourite anti-virus.
It's has no bloated interface like Norton, McAfee & co with the skins & other slowdown crap and uses a minimum of resources to do it's job well.
__________________

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 17:47   Link #19
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Few weeks ago I upgraded to norton 2007. and I'm gona have to give it a thumbs down.

this has caused alot of ridiculous problems that should not be occurring.

the first problem occured on my laptop. its a fujitsu lifebook 5010.
when I installed it, it seemed to lock up for a long time. finally it installed.
but over the next few days the computer kept crashing.
a little screen popped up, norton encountered a problem and needs to shut down. then about 5mins later, the computer would crash.
after uninstalling norton everything works fine.
after a second install attempt that went smoother, the problem happened once or twice again, but after norton self-updated, (who knows what it was updating) the problem is gone. The bad news is I almost diagnosed this as a failing harddrive, which would have cost me 100$.

the second problem is on my HP a1350n. it's a 4200 dual core xp 64 used for encoding and adobe.
If i leave a video game on for about 6hours+ I get the error coh32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. that would not be a problem if it did not put the error window on top.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 18:08   Link #20
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 30
AVG is great for those who are on a budget. Personally, I use Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition v10. It is very silent and does an excellent job.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antivirus, malware

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.