AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-20, 17:48   Link #1
raideralan

Choosing an antivirus

I am thinking of installing a anti-virus program into my computer. I have read many reviews about different brands but have heard bad results for most of them. I was wondering what brand is good out there? I was choosing between Mcafee, Norton, and Computer Associates.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 20:16   Link #2
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
I think all the antivirus are equal... as long as you keep them up to date. Anyway, i don't recommend Kaspersky because i think it's very "noisy" (I'd like to scream Urusai! Urusai! Urusai! on it...)

If you're low on budget than just get AVG, it's free and quite good...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 20:19   Link #3
raideralan

But isn't it true that norton eats up resources. But I also read that Norton 360 was better.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 20:20   Link #4
problemedchild
_

Kaspersky has the best detection rate out of any anti-virus software out there. That or Bit Defender. Both have amazing detection rates.

Norton gets worse every year. It's just bloatware now........
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 22:16   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Agreed, don't choose Norton. I used to be a fan of it, but it just got worse with each version.

I've used Avast for a while, but ditched it after it couldn't detect a virus until after it had downloaded it's payload (so I got "virus detected" messages all of the time, but Avast couldn't detect the source of the problem).

I'm currently using Kaspersky, but I'm not entirely sure if I can recommend it or not. I don't have the problem of it being to noisy (just make sure you keep RegistryGuard off, as Kaspersky was indeed noisy until I turned it off). The real problem I have with Kaspersky these days is that it likes to crash constantly when I'm working on ZIP/RAR files with Japanese filenames (both the file itself as well as contents, such as Japanese manga RAWs). It's easy to restart it though, and if you don't use files with Japanese filenames much, you should be fine.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 23:56   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've had good experience with avast! (which is free for home users) but it does have the "window of opportunity" risk that GHDPro mentioned.

But Kaspersky has me interested enough to take a look at it.
Old 2007-07-21, 00:16   Link #7
gabbytay
Banned

Mcafee,zone alarm and outpost(one of the best)
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 01:11   Link #8
shiro83

I use AVG Free Edition. So far so good.

Once I popped in a thumbdrive and almost immediately AVG warned me of a trojan horse. Now that's fast.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 03:30   Link #9
problemedchild
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Agreed, don't choose Norton. I used to be a fan of it, but it just got worse with each version.

I've used Avast for a while, but ditched it after it couldn't detect a virus until after it had downloaded it's payload (so I got "virus detected" messages all of the time, but Avast couldn't detect the source of the problem).

I'm currently using Kaspersky, but I'm not entirely sure if I can recommend it or not. I don't have the problem of it being to noisy (just make sure you keep RegistryGuard off, as Kaspersky was indeed noisy until I turned it off). The real problem I have with Kaspersky these days is that it likes to crash constantly when I'm working on ZIP/RAR files with Japanese filenames (both the file itself as well as contents, such as Japanese manga RAWs). It's easy to restart it though, and if you don't use files with Japanese filenames much, you should be fine.

I go through plenty of Asian file names, havn't had it crash me due to that.

AVG really isn't all that. It's free, but it really doesn't catch as many viri as Kaspersky or BitDefender does though.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 03:33   Link #10
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
I go through plenty of Asian file names, havn't had it crash me due to that.
Well in that case it might not be the Japanese filenames but where I get them from: Share. Either way, when Share is active and I'm working on ZIP/RAR, it's almost guaranteed to crash for me.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 15:35   Link #11
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbytay View Post
Mcafee,zone alarm and outpost(one of the best)
I agree about Zone Alarm and Outpost but McAfee sucks, Nod32 instead

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 19:16   Link #12
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Other thought to be considered is where are you? Usually different virus spread in different region locally... So if there's a local made antivirus, i guess it something that you can trust on...

Example is, in my country W32.Brontok is a very famous virus... I guess everyone know/even have it... An PC Media AntiVirus (PCMAV) is the most efefctive solution to this problem. It's developed by local pc magazine for local virus...

Old 2007-07-22, 16:34   Link #13
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Other thought to be considered is where are you? Usually different virus spread in different region locally... So if there's a local made antivirus, i guess it something that you can trust on...

Example is, in my country W32.Brontok is a very famous virus... I guess everyone know/even have it... An PC Media AntiVirus (PCMAV) is the most efefctive solution to this problem. It's developed by local pc magazine for local virus...
WTF are you talking about.The internet is a global network so you can get a virus
from anywere

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
Old 2007-07-22, 19:21   Link #14
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

That's why i said other thought... Like if you plug a lot of other people devices to your PC...

Old 2007-07-23, 15:18   Link #15
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
That's why i said other thought... Like if you plug a lot of other people devices to your PC...
But there are no such thing like local antivirus is the best and you said before that all antivirus are equal, that is total incorrect because the detection rate is not the same for all. Also the support is not the same, for e.g. my Nod32 get updates 2-3 times/day, others like bitdefender are geting virus updates one time at 2 days

Old 2007-07-24, 04:18   Link #16
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Keep in mind it not just the frequency of the updates, but the accuracy too.

Personally I like NOD32, but I have been happy with AVG Free (I used to use Clamwin and McAfee Stinger as backup on demand scanners)
Old 2007-07-24, 14:51   Link #17
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Keep in mind it not just the frequency of the updates, but the accuracy too.

Personally I like NOD32, but I have been happy with AVG Free (I used to use Clamwin and McAfee Stinger as backup on demand scanners)
I instal Nod after McAfee and at first scan Nod found me 3 viruses.
Also I had an infected file with trojan virus, I know it was infected because both bitdefender and nod found the virus.So I keept the infected file only to scan with Kaspersky.After update I run the scan but surprise, Kaspersky haven't found the virus.So when I hear that "all the antivirus are equal"...

Old 2007-07-30, 11:50   Link #18
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

I don't know what a retail license costs, but I got Symantec Corporate (Stand Alone) where I worked. It's by far my favourite anti-virus.
It's has no bloated interface like Norton, McAfee & co with the skins & other slowdown crap and uses a minimum of resources to do it's job well.

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 17:47   Link #19
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Few weeks ago I upgraded to norton 2007. and I'm gona have to give it a thumbs down.

this has caused alot of ridiculous problems that should not be occurring.

the first problem occured on my laptop. its a fujitsu lifebook 5010.
when I installed it, it seemed to lock up for a long time. finally it installed.
but over the next few days the computer kept crashing.
a little screen popped up, norton encountered a problem and needs to shut down. then about 5mins later, the computer would crash.
after uninstalling norton everything works fine.
after a second install attempt that went smoother, the problem happened once or twice again, but after norton self-updated, (who knows what it was updating) the problem is gone. The bad news is I almost diagnosed this as a failing harddrive, which would have cost me 100$.

the second problem is on my HP a1350n. it's a 4200 dual core xp 64 used for encoding and adobe.
If i leave a video game on for about 6hours+ I get the error coh32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. that would not be a problem if it did not put the error window on top.
Old 2007-09-09, 18:08   Link #20
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

AVG is great for those who are on a budget. Personally, I use Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition v10. It is very silent and does an excellent job.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antivirus, malware