AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 59 55.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 29.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-24, 08:20   Link #101
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Rossiu's turned into such a control freak. He seems to have unlearnt all Kamina taught him.

Simon might have been better off doing a runner with Yoko.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:25   Link #102
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Rossiu's turned into such a control freak. He seems to have unlearnt all Kamina taught him.

Simon might have been better off doing a runner with Yoko.
Sometimes, as hard as one might desire otherwise, one grows up to possess traits one loathed most about one's parents...
Old 2007-07-24, 09:27   Link #103
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
I have no problems with CGs in anime, however bad they are. In fact I think the anti-spiral machines are pretty nicely done, the little triangles, cubes, globes make them seem very alien in GL and fit well as moon machines.

Hell, I thought Vandread was pretty cool when I first saw it.

I think most anime viewers now are spoilt by realistic 3d such as those from Dreamworks or FF7AC. They seem to forget it's just ANIME. Anime doesn't really need realistic 3d when much of it is 2d.

"So what if there's some not-so-nicely done 3d in anime, what's your freaking problem? Go watch Transformers Movie again if you want good 3d" Is my response to such people.

And I enjoyed watching Akagi. Since I'm more interesting in how the mahjong games were being played than f*cking scrutinize the damn tiles CG.
Not like Akagi's major force was the visuals rather than Akagi's own badassery in the first place.

And GL's CG aren't really that bad as they're mostly cel-shaded in look.
Old 2007-07-24, 10:17   Link #104
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Am I the only one who actually likes government-douchebag!Rossiu? I find it refreshing that he's the more hardworking, jackassery one of the circle that didn't get converted to Simon-ism, who seem to be taking things rather lightly. Granted, some of the things he's doing does seem very "control-freakish", but I suppose it gets into him when he feels like he's the only one doing any real work in maintaining long-term order, aside from his own faction members of course. Kinon's colder change surprised me a little though. Well, in real life, siblings never always stay on extremely good terms once life comes into play, so at least there's some realism there.

I sure hope Rossiu doesn't die by the end of this arc, which looks like will give him a reasonable amount of focus, showing a contrast and conflict of approach and opinion between the 2 former GL-partner pilots, while dealing with Dark!Nia. Since chances are Simon will leave Earth to become Garlock for the 4th arc, maybe he'll leave Earth in Rossiu's hands, once Rossiu get a little mellowed down by Simon again?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-07-24, 10:45   Link #105
OniKage

i was rather disappointed at how the show has lost the feel that it used to give me over the last 15 episodes. but i hope the current arc gets better with this new setting. I really hope to see the good old gurren-lagann dan back again.. and of course im looking forward to the arc where the galactic battles take place
Old 2007-07-24, 15:45   Link #106
Kisuke06
I see...

Holy... such a great episode. And, it's just me or the animation has improved?

Anyways, this was a very good episode. Humanity has really evolved in 7 years, and I'm surprised that some still want to live in the underground.

And the battle scene against the faceless robot(interesting how they say that they have never seen such a mecha )really reminded me about Xenosaga(right in the start of episode II).
Old 2007-07-24, 16:58   Link #107
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Am I the only one who actually likes government-douchebag!Rossiu? I find it refreshing that he's the more hardworking, jackassery one of the circle that didn't get converted to Simon-ism, who seem to be taking things rather lightly. Granted, some of the things he's doing does seem very "control-freakish", but I suppose it gets into him when he feels like he's the only one doing any real work in maintaining long-term order, aside from his own faction members of course. Kinon's colder change surprised me a little though. Well, in real life, siblings never always stay on extremely good terms once life comes into play, so at least there's some realism there.
No,you're not alone.I really like him,especially with his white uniform and his green band.At one point I hoped he would scream "Sieg Zeon"!

But I have my doubt on his sycophantic underling.Anyway,Rossiu's major weakness is his strength.He's almost the only one who take his task seriously among the top brass and it leads him to believe that whoever disagree with him is either a fool(simon and the brothers) or a traitor(see how he treat those who disobey).
Old 2007-07-24, 17:09   Link #108
Meloria

Don't have much to say (never do) but I love the time skip and seeing all the characters and changes to the world seven years on. I don't mind Rossiu at all, seems to be a much more interesting character than before. Simon and Rossiu slightly remind me of the two main characters from sCRYed - what were their names again...?
Old 2007-07-24, 17:12   Link #109
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Kazuma was the hothead and I forgot the name of the other cold self-righteous bastard but they are indeed similar to Rossiu and Simon in some ways.
Old 2007-07-24, 20:48   Link #110
TrueKnight

The other self-righteous bastard is Ryuhou, and NO Simon is not like Kazuma. Simon's more laid-back and friendly, and better than Kazuma.

Anyway loved the time-skip and seeing all the characters all grown up. New kick-ass ED song way better than the first one. Can't wait to see Garlock Simon leading an army in an epic galactic battle. Finally, I hate Rossiu.........
Old 2007-07-24, 21:52   Link #111
Prolific

Rossiu in this ep is like putting my face to an anus and breathing deeply.
Old 2007-07-24, 22:38   Link #112
ThoHell

Good episode, a few character change I disliked but mostly all good. Rossiu became communist!!!!

After seeing the grown up version of Simon, I was shocked when I realized he's the guy from the beginning of episode 1. Had originally thought that the beginning of episode one was a little hint of where the spiral power came from, but I guess I was all wrong and, instead it was Simon getting ready for what looked like to be the final battle.

Loving this series and character growth!
Old 2007-07-24, 22:41   Link #113
Prolific

Quick question, what's Garlock and Harlock?
Old 2007-07-24, 22:48   Link #114
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
Quick question, what's Garlock and Harlock?
google for harlock.
see episode 1 for Garlock.
Old 2007-07-24, 22:58   Link #115
Prolific

Ohhh, so you call the shadow'd guy Garlock because he looks like a copy of Harlock? And since this is Gurren Lagann you call him Garlock?
Old 2007-07-24, 23:29   Link #116
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
Ohhh, so you call the shadow'd guy Garlock because he looks like a copy of Harlock? And since this is Gurren Lagann you call him Garlock?
Since he is GAR
GAR + Harlock = Garlock

(GAR is a slang troll word mean manly, man of the man; strangely this word originate from mistyped word "gay". It was first introduced when FSN14 was aired and a post mistyle I am "gay" for archer to I am "Gar" for archer. The word spread and used widely. etc... to find more info.. just lurk more).
Old 2007-07-24, 23:57   Link #117
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
(GAR is a slang troll word mean manly, man of the man; strangely this word originate from mistyped word "gay". It was first introduced when FSN14 was aired and a post mistyle I am "gay" for archer to I am "Gar" for archer. The word spread and used widely. etc... to find more info.. just lurk more).
Troll? Did you mean "weeaboo"?

And yes, lurk more is the correct response when looking for info on terms, memes, and neologisms.
Old 2007-07-25, 02:09   Link #118
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

lol I still remember when they had that typo over at 4chan after FSN 14 aired. Never would i have belived that "GAR" would spread it self far and wide back then. Oh well thats ancient history now.

Anyways this was an awesome episode. once again Gainax just keeps on surprising us more and more. Like other have mentioned Simon is still not quite as Garlock as he was in ep1, but he still have a quite a few episodes to change. I have a feeling Rossiu will be going downhills in they eyes of viewers unless he can redeem himself later on ala Harry potter Deathly Hollow style. With Nia, well she hasn't really changed that much but her dark Nia version is giving off alot of Dark Sakura vibes for me which could be good or bad. And of course the timeskiped Gimmy and Darry are definately a welcoming addition to the cast and i hope they can survive till the end.

Now i can't wait for next week. Damn...............
Old 2007-07-25, 02:31   Link #119
ragnesis

Bah, Rossiu's a punk. Hate him, hate him, hate him... hate him. Viral and him need to swap places.
Old 2007-07-25, 07:17   Link #120
Polaryzed_123
Workin' sux!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Polaryzed_123 Send a message via MSN to Polaryzed_123 Send a message via Yahoo to Polaryzed_123
This show rox.

Random thoughts of the ep:

Loved all of the character development in 7 years.
Bummed that Yoko disappeared and I hope she returns soon.
Rossiu needs to calm down a little and pull the stick out of his butt.
Anti-Spiral Nia was cool. Didn't see that one coming (besides in the new OP).
Its interesting to see everyone more grown up and serious. (who got married, who got serious, who's still the same, etc)
Commander Simon is awesome.
WTF is Rossiu planning (Genome in the tank, the youth crew)?
The Gurren Lagann still kicks major azz (even if the collateral damage destroys a bunch of the city)
Fitting that the 1,000,000th human would be someone so close to the core group.
Getting closer and closer to the space fight scene in the first 3 min of ep 1...
Kamina statue was hella cool.
Want Viral to spill the beans about what Genome told him now that he's in custody.
I wanna take Darry home, so 可愛い!

That's enough. Do I sound all giddy and excited? Well, I am dammit!
Closed Thread