AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 46 45.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 36.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 11.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-01, 16:08   Link #81
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And it comes with a Lucky Star/Konata cellphone strap. The cross-marketing swirling around us is just unreal.

Yes, Panzer Bandit, nice catch. Hiiragi-dad even said it was paella. Matsuri ate it with some friends and asked for the recipe so she could serve it to her family.
Those straps are pretty crappy... won't last very long on a teen's phone. But free is free and of course otakus will display it instead of using it. Man I hope I can buy computiq easily here.

It is a Paella, because Kagami has to go out far for saffron. Saffron is what give the rice the yellow hue... and yes I've made Paella before.

Not whole lot of cultural ref in this episode, so I guess my post maybe shorter...

I really like the focus on Kagami and the Hiiragi Family Dorama. The music, the lighting, and the mood - all spot on for a prime time dorama. Again to make fun of the otaku who probably has seen very little actual dorama. Man I love this family more and more...

This Shiraishi ending isn't THAT bad... if he's in cosplay probably funnier. He has 4 songs now... it looks like there's no way we'll avoid a Shiraishi ED CD... oh boy...

Animate Tenchou again... I'm beginning to think that Animate has signed a minimal appearance deal with L*S production comittee. It's like Tenchou-sama must appear in a pre-determined number of episodes or something. I mean, yeah he's a pretty cool character to parody and all, but boy he sure appears a LOT. And it's the same shtick every time - "Why won't Densetsu no Shoujo A buy my crap~~?" This L*C he's actually a little different, but still... I'd like to see less of him now, thank you.

If you want to parody an otaku-store mascot, gosh, parody Coco and Miko-chan from Tora no Ana. They're male-type otakus with tora-mimi; what more do you want?

Old 2007-08-01, 16:19   Link #82
nanafan
horo fan

that episode was hilarious. loved when minoru tried to sing the op.. he seemed to mumble to me..lol invasion of the store owner in lucky channel was funny.

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
Old 2007-08-01, 16:34   Link #83
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Also fun: Minami's continuing concern for her breasts. I'd tell her to eat more, but she'd just end up taller.
Old 2007-08-01, 17:04   Link #84
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also fun: Minami's continuing concern for her breasts. I'd tell her to eat more, but she'd just end up taller.
That's why I enjoy Minami more now.. make her more.. human(?) than the other quiet type moe. I can't imagine Yuki checking her own breasts out. Maybe she's wild and crazy inside!

If this sisters "giving" things to each other is true... does that mean Yukata will be an otaku soon? I wonder what's going to be her obsession?
Old 2007-08-01, 17:08   Link #85
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
That's why I enjoy Minami more now.. make her more.. human(?) than the other quiet type moe. I can't imagine Yuki checking her own breasts out. Maybe she's wild and crazy inside!

If this sisters "giving" things to each other is true... does that mean Yukata will be an otaku soon? I wonder what's going to be her obsession?
we didn't know much about yuki so she could have had another side to her. i wonder maybe yuchan will be one. lol

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
Old 2007-08-01, 17:11   Link #86
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think Konata meant it like that.

They absorbed stuff from each other. Kagami got all the smarts and academic drive, Tsukasa got all the home making skills and gentleness.

Yui got all the healthiness and happy go lucky attitude?

Miyuki got all the breasts.
Old 2007-08-01, 17:34   Link #87
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
I don't think Konata meant it like that.

They absorbed stuff from each other. Kagami got all the smarts and academic drive, Tsukasa got all the home making skills and gentleness.

Yui got all the healthiness and happy go lucky attitude?

Miyuki got all the breasts.

I thought "sucking" sounds kinda bad.

Maybe now Yukata's "sucking" the lazy and the otaku-ness out of Kona, and slowly Konata's becoming an upstanding sister role model. It could happen.
Old 2007-08-01, 17:57   Link #88
Calawain
Gaijin

Good episode, not as good as the last couple of episodes. The Hiiragi family scenes were spot on and offered unique content that hasn't been show yet in the series. We really have seen very little extended Hiiragi family coverage outside of the two youngest sisters.

Animate Tenchou was funny at first, now he's getting a bit old, does not need to appear in every episode.

ED sequence was meh, I mean it was funny the first time when he was fighting on the rocks, but now like Animate Tenchou it's getting a bit old.
Old 2007-08-01, 18:54   Link #89
Deathwing
what do i know

best lucky channel ever
Old 2007-08-01, 19:06   Link #90
•••Shadow•••
Love hater

Deathwing - totally agree
Old 2007-08-01, 20:38   Link #91
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I enjoyed the bit when Konata is watching the news and they mention how a criminal had manga and videogames in his possession. It still annoys me to no end how some people see videogames, or in this case manga, as a logical step towards violent behavior.

I also found Kagami's "they caught another one like you" comment amusing in a dark way, since in high school some friends told me this once (with no ill intent), and I have heard other people being told this in less amusing matters (religion).
Old 2007-08-01, 20:48   Link #92
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Those straps are pretty crappy... won't last very long on a teen's phone. But free is free and of course otakus will display it instead of using it. Man I hope I can buy computiq easily here.
That's why you're supposed to buy 3 copies
Old 2007-08-01, 22:11   Link #93
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I enjoyed the episode very much, but most of what I have to comment on isn't based on my positive impressions.

- With a brief exception, we're back to "classic" Lucky Star pace for the most part. Nothin' wrong with that, mind you. I was just hoping to see the pace from the last episode continued.
- It bugs me a bit that Miyuki intends to go into medicine. There's nothing wrong with that--I just don't quite see it in her personality. I wonder, do the Japanese have the automatic assumption/stereotype as many cultures do that smart people go into medicine? I grew up with the impression that medicine is a calling, but I know many others simply think "it's what smart people do". I just never got the impression of a medical calling from Miyuki's character, and I hate to see her status as purely a collection of stereotypes perpetuated. Either her character is a bit more hollow than I'd hope, or we're not seeing enough of it. Thinking about it, though... Miyuki as a general practitioner with a lab coat and stethoscope... That's kind of attractive... *shakes head* OK, that's enough of that.
- Yui + mustache = WIN
- I'm really surprised that Konata doesn't read light novels, even in her magazines. I know that the gag is that she's intelligent but lazy, but you don't gain intelligence in a vacuum. The idea that she doesn't read is just ridiculous.
- The Hiiragi family sequence shows us what Lucky Star has been capable of all this time. There's only one problem: It's style is completely out of place. I would like it if it weren't for that. You don't wait seventeen episodes and toss one sequence like this out as a non sequitur. I'll grant that I could be a bit more accepting if the music weren't so ominous, but music or not, doing drama, especially in this style, requires buildup.
- Is Animate Tenchou overplayed? Yes. Was I yawning during Lucky Channel? Yes. Did I enjoy the heck out of it anyway? Yes. It just needed to be shorter and snappier. "Shiroishi" was gold (I'm a sucker for puns).

In news tangentally-related to Lucky Star: I took my sister to her school for orientation, and was surrounded by a bunch of teenage girls who were *almost* young enough to be my daughters. I confirmed something I'd thought already... I can relate to Konata's dad.
Old 2007-08-01, 23:18   Link #94
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
am i the only one who doesnt find anime tenchou to be annoying? =(
Old 2007-08-01, 23:27   Link #95
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

@ Whitepearl Nah, I found it to be quite enjoyable, a nice change of pace.

Like some say:

No particular order.
~ The Hiiragi Twins scene is quite a pleasant change from the wackiness we call lucky Star. A touching scene if I do say so myself

~Shirashi(typo I can't spell to save my life) ED is made of win!!

Girls are preparing new signature, please wait warmly.
Old 2007-08-02, 00:39   Link #96
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
This may well be my favorite episode so far. Perfect balance between source material, confined to the LS realm; and Kyoani's "pandering", as my friend Kaioshin_Sama likes to call it, delivered in the Lucky Channel skit. Of course, this comes together with the best delivery both worlds have shown so far, at least in my eyes: it was the best of manga Lucky Star and the best of anime Lucky Star (or perhaps Lucky Channel?).

Can some manga reader (Vexx?) confirm whether the dorama-scene is original or not? My bet is obviously original, I can't see a 4-koma there at all.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-08-02, 00:47   Link #97
Jobrill

I gotta admit, whether or not the store manager is overused, this was the first time I have laughed uproariously at Lucky Channel. Generally I think it's a bit stale, with the exception of Minoru's Tsundere rant. So I honestly have to give the store manager two BIG thumbs up there.

Being the oldest sibling in my family of 4, I also have to admit to being more than a little bit familiar with some of the bickering between Kagamin and her older sister...

It was a pretty good episode, all in all!

We are without form, thus we are awestruck.
Thus, we are slain a second time.
Under the name of a mask." - Bleach
Old 2007-08-02, 03:24   Link #98
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Kyuusai: eh, why not medicine? She's kind, good in school, maybe particularly good in biology, we don't know... So why wouldn't she want to be a doctor? It's not such an extraordinary profession to want to have.

Though if she becomes a surgeon I do worry about a dojiko messing around with people's insides.
Old 2007-08-02, 08:05   Link #99
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepearl View Post
am i the only one who doesnt find anime tenchou to be annoying? =(
Hell no, the guy has plenty of burning courage. He's amazing!

Ohmygod that ED, Minoru Shiraishi is official god-like now. I can't wait for the next ED collection.
Old 2007-08-02, 09:04   Link #100
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Kyuusai: eh, why not medicine? She's kind, good in school, maybe particularly good in biology, we don't know... So why wouldn't she want to be a doctor? It's not such an extraordinary profession to want to have.

Though if she becomes a surgeon I do worry about a dojiko messing around with people's insides.
Medicine is a field that not only requires tremendous commitment just for entry, but the study and practice of which generally requires a certain personality and emotional investment. Miyuki is clearly very committed to pursuing a very serious, demanding career... but why?

Even Tsukasa's more flighty, easily understandable career choices were given an explanation, but Miyuki's serious commitment to a serious career path is given... no explanation at all. It could be that she has personal reasons to want to pursue it, or it could be just because "it's what smart people do". We're either missing some character exposition or the idea that she's nothing more than a collection of cliches is being cemented. The reason her choices irk me is because it raises those implications.

On a side note, I hope to study medicine when I have a break in my current callings.
Closed Thread