AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-18, 11:04   Link #1
Joka
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Film)

I looked around, but I could not find a thread about it, so I started one.

So let us talk about the new Harry Potter movie and discuss what you liked or disliked about it.





Personally I thought it was the second biggest pile of shit I have watched movie wise. I thought it was horrible and the movie was a waste of my precious time. It is even worse than the other ones (except the first one).

I have never been a Harry Potter fan, but I did go into the movie theater without expecting much nor expecting little. I went it with a very clear mind just wanting to watch a movie and be entertained.

I hated it utterly. I thought it was horrid and very poorly done. Anyways enough about what I thought.
Joka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 11:35   Link #2
Medic
Dubstep - DZ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Harry Potter Books>>>>>>HP Films

I advise you to read the books. The films arent all that.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 11:50   Link #3
Joka
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
Harry Potter Books>>>>>>HP Films

I advise you to read the books. The films arent all that.
I think so too, but the films are a big part of the franchise.
Joka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 12:35   Link #4
Zhemos
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blah
Age: 31
I enjoyed the movie. Though I've yet to read a single Harry Potter book. I thought it was quite entertaining.

My friends who did read the books said it was crap. Apparently the story was rushed and a lot of parts were left out.

But oh well. I'm looking forward to the 6th harry potter movie.

Eventually I plan to read the books, but not right now. Maybe I will after the movies are finished. :P
__________________
This space for rent. $5USD per month, PM me.
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 13:12   Link #5
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Sorry for going off topic for a while. I'm planning on watching this weekend, as the cinemas were just packed full last weekend.

Seeing as the final book The Deathly Hallows is going to be out, I thought someone would have made a combined thread with this one. Guess not.

Anyway, since this IS a high profile story, no matter how flawed JK Rowling's storytelling will be, it's way too high profile to just ignore it. And because of that, the mods should be advised to be vigilant to prevent some people from posting spoilers of Book 7 out of malice and upsetting a lot of Potter-phile people here in this thread.

Back when the Half-Blood Prince was released, the three-worded spoiler "***** KILLED **********" (you either know or don't know what the asterisks stand for, I don't have to spell them out here) gained its infamous notoriety, appearing in almost every internet forum, blog and Google bookmark. And I'm not making this up, some even made a huge banner "********** DIES" and hung it on a footbridge over a motorway in England. The police had to quickly remove the banner to avoid any accidents.

To Potter-philes who want a fool-proof way of not getting spoiled for Book 7: Until you obtain the book and finish reading up to the last page, stay away from any medium which you can obtain news from, especially the internet. Preferably, lock yourself up in a room and avoid all contact with civilization.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 13:20   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
The Order of the Phoenix is a huge, rambling book (even more so than the others) so any film of it is almost going to HAVE to do some serious surgery to adapt it to screen. Even the last film was a serious surgery of the book even though *as a film* I thought it was very atmospheric and compelling. With books that really need a six-hour treatment... all the film can do is pick a few important threads and follow those.

The book this film is derived from is probably my least favorite of the series mostly because of the little nanny-fascist. Banal evil is much more realistic than over-the-top evil ... but in a fantasy like this series it just left me with a brooding discomfort and it became a chore to turn the pages.

I'm actually not looking forward to seeing the film just because I loathe the nanny-fascist so much
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 13:23   Link #7
Medic
Dubstep - DZ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Sorry for going off topic for a while. I'm planning on watching this weekend, as the cinemas were just packed full last weekend.

Seeing as the final book The Deathly Hallows is going to be out, I thought someone would have made a combined thread with this one. Guess not.

Anyway, since this IS a high profile story, no matter how flawed JK Rowling's storytelling will be, it's way too high profile to just ignore it. And because of that, the mods should be advised to be vigilant to prevent some people from posting spoilers of Book 7 out of malice and upsetting a lot of Potter-phile people here in this thread.

Back when the Half-Blood Prince was released, the three-worded spoiler "***** KILLED **********" (you either know or don't know what the asterisks stand for, I don't have to spell them out here) gained its infamous notoriety, appearing in almost every internet forum, blog and Google bookmark. And I'm not making this up, some even made a huge banner "********** DIES" and hung it on a footbridge over a motorway in England. The police had to quickly remove the banner to avoid any accidents.

To Potter-philes who want a fool-proof way of not getting spoiled for Book 7: Until you obtain the book and finish reading up to the last page, stay away from any medium which you can obtain news from, especially the internet. Preferably, lock yourself up in a room and avoid all contact with civilization.


Yeah there were lots of cuts. If you've read the book you'll see how much they miss out. On its own the film wasnt bad, but the fact that it was based on the book makes it forever in its shadow.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 15:35   Link #8
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 29
the next book is the last one?? orly? i was spoiled with one of the big ones from the last book..
Spoiler for harry potter:
i haven't seen the new movie yet..i used to be a big fan, but i guess i got pottered out..lol cheesy joke..
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 16:22   Link #9
DarkBlood
コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Age: 22
I really disliked the movie, so much was missing and some things felt like it was just wrong. And me and my friends have come to the conclusion that every time Harry has a nightmare or is possessed it looks and sounds like his is being raped...
DarkBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 16:23   Link #10
Medic
Dubstep - DZ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Spoiler for Harry Potter:
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 17:19   Link #11
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Harry Potter movies are ok. I put them in the same category as star trek and spider man movies. you already know whats coming, but going to the theatre with friends is still fun.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 20:21   Link #12
faustianideals
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Spoiler for For anyone who hasn't read Deathly Hallows:


I thought the movie was great. You can't expect a full-fledged word for word adaption of such a long novel. Would you guys have been satisfied if they had pushed the movie to 4 hours for the sake of more content? Every minute you drag the movie on is another chance for a viewer to become bored, and you do not want that.
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 20:30   Link #13
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 29
the next movie doesn't look too bad.. but i don't know if i want to see it...rather see hairspray..lol
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 21:24   Link #14
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
To Potter-philes who want a fool-proof way of not getting spoiled for Book 7: Until you obtain the book and finish reading up to the last page, stay away from any medium which you can obtain news from, especially the internet. Preferably, lock yourself up in a room and avoid all contact with civilization.
I advise you the same. I can't believe the amount of completely off-topic spoiler posts that have been randomly made in Slashdot for a couple of days now.

As for HP (Hewlett-Packard?), I stopped reading after the fourth book, for unknown reasons. Kinda strange, too, since I had liked it. It was like I just stopped caring about it. I think I didn't watch the third or the fourth movies, either.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 21:55   Link #15
Medic
Dubstep - DZ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I advise you the same. I can't believe the amount of completely off-topic spoiler posts that have been randomly made in Slashdot for a couple of days now.

As for HP (Hewlett-Packard?), I stopped reading after the fourth book, for unknown reasons. Kinda strange, too, since I had liked it. It was like I just stopped caring about it. I think I didn't watch the third or the fourth movies, either.
Harry Potter
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 22:04   Link #16
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
I ceased watching all films after the second one. They will undoubtedly, just like Eragon, make me want to kill myself, have someone resurrect me, then kill myself once more.

I say this without a shadow of a doubt. If you haven't read the books and you say the movies are good, then you have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 22:28   Link #17
Cyz
"Show it to me"
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In solitude, where we are least alone
I don't like reading...especially if the books were very thick Anyway, I did watch the first 4 and I liked it. What I really like about this one are the action scenes
__________________
~~ Project Cyz ~~
"There is no spoon"
~~~~~
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 22:34   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Harry Potter
Pun:

1.the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.

__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 22:54   Link #19
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 29
i like reading most books, some of the harry potter ones i have read more than once. the only thing is if the book sucks i can't keep reading it.
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 10:34   Link #20
Medic
Dubstep - DZ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Pun:

1.the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.

lol git.

Some idiot messaged me today with spoilers for the 7th book. Can an admin or mod please look into it and delete that fool.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.