AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 44 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 31.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 13.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-07, 22:00   Link #81
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiidesu189 View Post
It was so funny! especially the part where Kagami made Konata read the manga and she was like "Stareeee~~~~~~~~"
lol
lol me too. it went on for atleast 10 seconds

i hav to say im impressed with guerrand fansub group
Old 2007-08-07, 22:41   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was relatively impressed by the Guerrand translation... and hey I'm planning on buying the R1 anyway if/when it is released so I'm not quite so heavy about "single source" for the subs
Old 2007-08-08, 00:31   Link #83
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Excellent episode. I'm in a pretty good mood today, and watching episodes 17 and 18 back to back helped all the more. In fact, I'm in such a good mood now that I might just try to make another new signature at last.

Showcasing the minor characters was certainly a treat. Misao is just so lovably awesome! I think it's because she acts just like I do when I'm not being serious. I don't know how many times I've pulled that "three second rule" stunt...and that fang of hers! WOOOO!

Minami's thoughts about playing dodgeball with Yutaka was also pretty hilarious. Some people's personalities just aren't suited to those games...but still, she possesses UNLIMITED DODGEBALL WORKS!

Oh, and lest I forget...*staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr eeeeeeeeeee*
Old 2007-08-08, 00:58   Link #84
lftwgr

My absolute favorite random humor of the week? The FMP / Super Robot Wars spoof match between Konata and Kuroi Sensei.

But I suppose the 'what animal is the character' section also makes my day - I absolutely loved it when Kagami was stressing about why she's a bunny instead of a wolf or tiger.

Kagami also scored highly for her stares in my book.

As the show progresses, I find that my favorite character is increasingly shifting towards the tsundere Hiiragi sibling from my initial choice of Konata.

Last edited by lftwgr; 2007-08-08 at 01:25.
Old 2007-08-08, 02:10   Link #85
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Otaku References in EP 18

The following are otaku/fujoshi references in EP18. As usual, I just translate as I read them in chronological order. You guys can add or subtract as you wish. I'll add whatever little I know to it when I can.

Spoiler for Hidden since fansub's uncertain:

===
Finally done! Corrections welcome!

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-08 at 13:00.
Old 2007-08-08, 02:19   Link #86
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

apparently a.f.k is dropping L*S....:S
Old 2007-08-08, 03:55   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

got a cite for that? ...... I'd go visit their irc channel but they probably don't like me very much

I'm more concerned about EnA ..... they've kind of gotten very quiet since ep 11 -- but their website sort of implicitly suggests the summer might be a quiet time.

Hopefully, Guerrand will be able to maintain their pace for now...
Old 2007-08-08, 04:23   Link #88
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
got a cite for that? ...... I'd go visit their irc channel but they probably don't like me very much

I'm more concerned about EnA ..... they've kind of gotten very quiet since ep 11 -- but their website sort of implicitly suggests the summer might be a quiet time.

Hopefully, Guerrand will be able to maintain their pace for now...
i went to their irc channel. thats where they said it .... but they say its "licenced" but i think they are just saying that... or are they?

anywho... guerrand is doing a pretty good job of subbing, but i'm the kinda person that likes all their subs by the one sub group... lol..... and i reckon some others are like that too.

Last edited by fallenangelash; 2007-08-08 at 04:25. Reason: thought of more to say
Old 2007-08-08, 08:54   Link #89
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ahh the new cast is great!

best gag has to be the 3 second rule (honestly ive seen longer happening) and the "drawing manga" part...really really funny

end fails again...im kinda hoping that akira would beat shiraishi up a bit more often :/

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-08-08, 09:31   Link #90
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

They pulled the manga strips out very nicely. I especially like how they pulled off "Izumi Konata, the 3rd Year" scene. With no insult intended to the mangaka, I think this sort of depiction just can't be pulled off on paper. This one gets a 9.

I'm still wondering what makes Konata so reluctant to read light novels (or possibly any text in particular). Could she have ADHD, which also makes studying a chore for her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD
The disorder typically presents itself during childhood, and is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity, as well as forgetfulness, poor impulse control or impulsivity, and distractibility.
If she does have that, then she can't study, can't read any substantial volume of text, tends to distract anything productive into video games, forgets where her cell phone is, and derives most of her entertainment from pictures like manga and anime. The only odd thing out for this theory is that she can memorize the answer key for Kagami's quiz game.

About A.F.K. stopping...I don't think it's licensing, unless they got a C&D from Bandai. Bandai would be spreading themselves too thin if they try Lucky Star too. It's probably because they diverted their attention to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and perhaps found L*S a bit too challenging to sub...which, to their credit, it is.
Old 2007-08-08, 12:42   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangelash View Post
i went to their irc channel. thats where they said it .... but they say its "licenced" but i think they are just saying that... or are they?

anywho... guerrand is doing a pretty good job of subbing, but i'm the kinda person that likes all their subs by the one sub group... lol..... and i reckon some others are like that too.
At the moment, I'd say someone was just blowing steam at the a.f.k. channel --- even the *rumor* of licensing would be spurting all over the anime channels and forums.

I'm more of Claies' mind -- that they're distracted by the new shiny of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Notice the SZS release rate. Couple that with the minor "heat" they've been taking for their localization of Lucky*Star since ep 1 and the thrill may be wearing thin for them. That's pure speculation of course based on the few clues observed.

Yes, I'm also obsessive that way, I prefer to collect a series using just one group (continuity, style, and all that) especially if I'm pretty sure snowballs from Hell are more likely than an R1 release.
After the apocalyptic signs of PPD, TMP, AIR, and a few others getting R1 treatment (while other gems like petopetosan, lamune, REC, Mahoraba languish) --- I can't make *any* assumptions about what is likely to get licensed anymore.

I've been most fond of EnA's style and translation comparatively ... but they've been taking a summer break (implicit clues with the 9/10/11 release pack), so it may be September before we see more of L*S from them. In the meantime, no complaints from me about Guerrand.
Old 2007-08-08, 12:56   Link #92
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Lucky Star licenced?!! Omg even if it's a rumor it's big news...I haven't even seen the subs yet for this ep.
Old 2007-08-08, 13:02   Link #93
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Man the fansub situation is confusing... I've decided to hide both of my ref posts since I guess fansub's harder to find now.
Old 2007-08-08, 13:15   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Lucky Star licenced?!! Omg even if it's a rumor it's big news...I haven't even seen the subs yet for this ep.
No it ISN'T A RUMOR!!! Don't even start that! IT ISN'T ANY "NEWS".

For now it is just some dork noise from an irc channel with no substance. A noise with no basis is only news if you're a World Weekly News reporter....

it might as well be the "news" that President Bush watches Pokemon for inspiration ("General! I choose YOU! (this week)")
Old 2007-08-08, 13:17   Link #95
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

I don't really think Konata has ADD or ADHD. She actually seems pretty normal on the mental front.
Old 2007-08-08, 13:20   Link #96
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
No it ISN'T A RUMOR!!! Don't even start that! IT ISN'T ANY "NEWS".

For now it is just some dork noise from an irc channel with no substance. A noise with no basis is only news if you're a World Weekly News reporter....
Oh i see ~_~lll

Bahh...whoever said that on irc channel really is a dork. No an ass
Old 2007-08-08, 13:24   Link #97
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I don't really think Konata has ADD or ADHD. She actually seems pretty normal on the mental front.
I don't think anyone with ADD can play MMOs for 3 days straight...
Old 2007-08-08, 13:29   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually.. I have ADD (not ADHD), diagnosed by a neurologist. Despite the "zone out" issue ... ADD types have the ability to *hyperfocus* (some scientists think Newton had ADD because of his personality, quirks, and the ability to completely absorb himself in a math problem for days at a time). To some extent, many of Kona's quirks exactly mirror my own:
"best intentions --- road to hell" "need a break from homework, ooooh a rare drop!"
Its a personal hell at times -- the stuff that *needs* to get done gets put off over and over and... while the strangest things just root me on the spot. I am unable to have a conversation with the tv on, yet having a conversation with other people talking doesn't bother me. Give me 4 things to remember (shopping list) and I guarantee I'll forget at least one and add something different.

The only reason Kona doesn't read much is that she hasn't found something yet that grabs her attention --- if Kagamin gets her hooked on something, she'll insulate her room with those kinds of books.
Old 2007-08-08, 13:38   Link #99
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
The only reason Kona doesn't read much is that she hasn't found something yet that grabs her attention --- if Kagamin gets her hooked on something, she'll insulate her room with those kinds of books.
Thanks for sharing, Vexx-dono. It sounds like Kona may indeed have ADD then. I guess we really don't know much about it...

I think the reason most Japanese kids refrain from reading prose books is the fact that many of them really sucks at kanji. It's hard reading an adult book without furigana if you're kanji level isn't up to par. That's why every single Japanese electronic dictionary has a huge kanji dictionary; most Japanese actually use them to look up kanji instead of another language like we would imagine. I have a feeling both Kona and Tsukasa has this issue, as we can tell by the hard time Tsukasa had reading a news paper.
Old 2007-08-08, 13:42   Link #100
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

I actually have Asperger's Syndrome so hyperfocusing on some things while having difficult on focusing on other things was a part of that. This became a big problem for me and is the reason I no longer read books. If I start reading, I have difficulty stopping before I finish.
Closed Thread